• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrono01

I have a feeling Miku 2020 is going to be December too.
iTdedqPgZHfaf.gif

sca2511

gotta make that profit, hah.

Only time I've seen a LCS sell statues was when I was in Vegas. Other than that, there is a small anime shop nearby that sometimes sells bishoujos. I think they have the original Black Widow there for $75.

Rootbeer

Banned
Found these at target. they are blind figs for 3.99. I know they are a bit older, but I'd never been able to spot them in stores before. If you want a specific fig, the only way to tell what is inside is by weight... link and tetra/zelda are lighter.

Only time I've seen a LCS sell statues was when I was in Vegas. Other than that, there is a small anime shop nearby that sometimes sells bishoujos. I think they have the original Black Widow there for $75.

My comic guy is really good in the sense that if there is something I want that's being solicited through Diamond, he'll just order it specifically for me with no markup.

Found these at target. they are blind figs for 3.99. I know they are a bit older, but I'd never been able to spot them in stores before. If you want a specific fig, the only way to tell what is inside is by weight... link and tetra/zelda are lighter.

Woah, I remember importing these a few years back. Awesome to see them at Target. I believe a few broke in a move so would be cool to replace them.

Well about to be on a Final Fantasy Play Arts spree.
buying Yuffie & Yuna(don't know if I want X or X-2 version though) and looking for a good deal on XIII-2 Lightning.
might also get an Aerith.

Also looks like orders are going up for this exclusive PoP figure.

Dude, I would definitely get into One Piece if it wasn't so daunting at this point. I just don't have it in me to plow through 67 volumes of manga. And that figure is probably going to sell out in 30 seconds. One Piece fans are rabid.

This wonfes exclusive Sigrid color variant is pretty bad, imo.

Eek. The dress clashes too much with the color scheme of the base.

johnsmith

remember me
Dude, I would definitely get into One Piece if it wasn't so daunting at this point. I just don't have it in me to plow through 67 volumes of manga. And that figure is probably going to sell out in 30 seconds. One Piece fans are rabid.

Same, I tried watching the anime for a while, but gave up after a year's worth of episodes, when I realized I still had like 500 episodes to go to get caught up. They do put out some really nice figures though. But they also put out a ton of them. MFC returns 177 results when searching for portrait of pirates.

But I like that Kalifa, and Sadi Chan, and the Peronas.

Sadi Chan was an exclusive that came out last month and is already going for 12k yen. Kalifa is actually still available right now, and will probably end up going up in price too.

sca2511

I just read the manga. I thought the same thing before, that it's too daunting to catch up, but it was actually pretty fast. I'd get into the figures too, they're awesome. Just so many.

chrono01

I powered through all of the One Piece episodes just prior to the Time Skip. It was somewhere around 500+ episodes and I did so over the span of a month or two. I watched every episode, yes, even the recap/specials/filler/etc. I had a great time.

As for the figures, I'm collecting all of the Straw Hat crew [Time Skip], I just need Franky which is being released early August [he's already paid for]. I have a few outside of the Straw Hat crew [Princess Shirahoshi, Gecko Moria, Perona, Doflamingo Donquixote, Jewelry Bonney, Boa Hancock, as well as few alternate figures of Nami/Nico Robin], but once I receive Franky I think that's all I'll purchase for a while. As was already mentioned, they're way too numerous to keep up with, especially when you collect figures outside of One Piece. -_-

I powered through all of the One Piece episodes just prior to the Time Skip. It was somewhere around 500+ episodes and I did so over the span of a month or two. I watched every episode, yes, even the recap/specials/filler/etc. I had a great time.

Ugh, you know what, the story sounds cool, but everytime I look, the art style just seems too ridiculous. The proportions are almost as awkward as CLAMP art.

chrono01

Ugh, you know what, the story sounds cool, but everytime I look, the art style just seems too ridiculous. The proportions are almost as awkward as CLAMP art.
You get used to them. It's a bit hilarious to see Nami's breast-size increase as the series goes on, and the waists are ridiculously thin, but it honestly doesn't bother me. The art definitely got better from the first few episodes, as did the aspect ratio [obviously].

I'd recommend it, but only if you want to commit to it. It is a lot of time to dedicate to something. I don't regret it, though.

My Lucifer figure [Seven Deadly Sins] is finally in-stock [according to my AmiAmi order information]! However, she [and several other items in that same order] will need to wait until the 31st since I have her combined with a figure releasing on that day. ~_~

SHE WILL BE WORTH THE WAIT!!

I'd recommend it, but only if you want to commit to it. It is a lot of time to dedicate to something. I don't regret it, though.

Let me ask you this... is it reasonable to just start with New World and Wiki the rest of it? Because I really can't go through that much manga. I've been with Naruto since the English manga started, so it wasn't a big deal keeping up with it. But almost 70 volumes in one shot? Nope nope nope nope.

chrono01

Let me ask you this... is it reasonable to just start with New World and Wiki the rest of it? Because I really can't go through that much manga. I've been with Naruto since the English manga started, so it wasn't a big deal keeping up with it. But almost 70 volumes in one shot? Nope nope nope nope.
You'd miss out on a lot of character development, such as Luffy recruiting his fellow crew as well as their personal reasons for joining his cause, as well as a few crucial moments leading into the Time Skip [I won't spoil them here]. I mean, you could probably start watching from the Time Skip and be able to follow most of the stuff, but you would be lost on a lot of the character relations. Several characters from early in the series make constant appearances, so those would be lost on you as well. I wouldn't personally recommend it.

I'm sorry. I know that wasn't the response you were hoping for. >_<

You could try just watching the canon [or should I say "cannon"...get it..."cannon"...pirates...OH HO!] episodes and skipping all of the filler/special arcs. That shouldn't take you too long. You're still probably looking at around 300 episodes, though.

I'm sorry. I know that wasn't the response you were hoping for. >_<

Don't apologize, I mean, I might do it anyhow. Wiki is the answer to anything I don't understand. I actually love time-skips for that reason.

Actually, I should probably just peruse a volume or two at the bookstore tomorrow and see if I even like it to begin with.

I'd wait and get from a LCS for what would likely be a lower price
I don't know what kind of comic shop can afford to do this, especially since Sideshow increased their wholesale prices. The markup to their SRP is lower than it's ever been. Add on shipping costs, rent, employee wages, and selling below the SRP is insanity unless they're moving a ton of units, which most comic shops certainly aren't.

Mine does, but they're expensive as fuck. I mean, they wanted like, $120 for that animated Atrocitus statue that had some minor wear.

They also open all their shit and put them in display cases. Meh.
The SRP on that Animated Atrocitus statue was $125...

Of course with minor wear a discount is expected, but $120 for that statue isn't an insane comic shop markup, blame DC Direct for that.

And there are many reasons why stores open their statues. They usually sell better when people can actually see what they're getting, and Diamond has an extremely strict policy on returns and exchanges. It's something like 24 hours within receiving the shipment. What happens if they don't open it, you take it home and there's a problem? Most comic shops won't accept returns simply because they have little to no recourse. They can't just send back every little defective product to the manufacturer at no cost or penalty like Toys R Us or Walmart, that's just money down the tube if they accept the return, especially when the damages may very well have been caused by the customer. People try to pull this crap all the time, they break something, and they cry "oh, it was like that out of the box!" Sideshow is amazing with this sort of thing, but most distributors and suppliers won't do a damn thing.

If it's opened, then you see what you're getting. If you're happy with what you see, you take it home. If you get it home and you're not happy, then it's nobody's fault but your own because you saw what you were buying. Comic shops, and independent businesses in general need to cover their asses from people trying to game the system.

Truth is, a lot of the time the cost vs markups make no sense at all. This week we just got in the SH Figuarts Frieza. Cost from Diamond is $40, SRP is $51.99. I'm sorry, but a small business can't pay for shit with that kind of markup. We're happy to honor any preorders at the SRP, but otherwise we need to mark it up a bit higher, not to make a profit, but simply to survive and stay afloat. Bluefin isn't much better either, their cost is a couple bucks less, but I believe that they have minimum order quantities, and I'll bet the shipping is higher which cancels out any money you thought you'd save by ordering from them. That kind of economy is only going to work for mega stores like Amazon and BBTS, and if that's how manufacturers keep treating independent hobby shops, then that's all that's going to be left in 10 years.

Sorry to rant (and it's not really directed at you, or any particular person in this thread), but there are just a lot of people out there who don't understand the harsh reality of owning a local comic shop. It's like people think that these guys are out to get them, trying to pull a fast one on the fans, and while that may be true for some really scummy people, for the majority I bet nothing could be further from the truth. I've worked at a comic shop for the last 4 years, and while I'm lucky enough to have earned raises and take home a paycheck every 2 weeks, I've seen my boss, my friend, fight an uphill battle the entire time. I won't bore you with details, but the sad fact is that most customers simply don't care, all they want is the best deals. I can't blame them, everybody wants the best prices, but I also find it very sad. Everybody loves to cry about how local businesses are shutting down while they order everything from Amazon, and soon, that's all that will be left.

LiK

if you guys post GKs, make sure to label them as such. it hurts me every time i see a nice figure and it's just a GK which i'll never get. :(

meijiko

Looks like Kotobukiya is finally getting their Bishounen line off the ground.

jk its a gk

Don't play with my heart like that. :(

This wonfes exclusive Sigrid color variant is pretty bad, imo.

130712wf_hp_006_2.jpg

Oh god. Sigrid is one of my favorite designs of the past year, but that thing is really gross looking. I'm hoping it's just a bad photoshop and her dress isn't THAT fluorescent. I'll still probably pass on it, especially if they kept the same seam lines and base issues.

im excited so far. My favorite character in strike witches is coming out finally from alter. I

Also noel vermillion CP outfit is being made by vertex as well.

What is this Noel you speak of?! Noel, she must be mine.

Damn shame no one will ever make a Tao figure, though...

yeah I figure the order for BB figure is...

Noel
Makoto
Litchi

they all have something in common >_>

edit

I missed lucifer =( she came back on ami ami last night but I didn't check.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom