• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMI

Banned
Man, what's with all these savages that haven't seen Puella Magi Madoka Magica?!

Go watch it! Now! ALL OF YOU!

this is the fucking truth. Fantastic anime, with a wonderfully concise plot that wraps up very nicely in 12 episodes. It looks like cutesy moe bullshit at first but shit gets real pretty goddamned fast.

-PXG-

SCORE
kappa not that crazy

As if I needed to spend more money. I do want a Yoko for my book case. Something PSG related too.

Oh...also... I caved. I ordered the Alpha Max Sorceress. I couldn't wait for the others though I might get em too in the future. The Amazon is still on pre order though.

It's my first time ordering from Amiami. Fast as hell. Really impressed.

So it looks like someone is making a Titan figure. Bad news? It's Plex. The price is going to be awful for a 20" figure. I'd pay a good sum for.a female titan figure from Max Factory, though.

this is the fucking truth. Fantastic anime, with a wonderfully concise plot that wraps up very nicely in 12 episodes. It looks like cutesy moe bullshit at first but shit gets real pretty goddamned fast.

It's a series I'd love to own on blu-ray, but the pricing is batshit insane at $40/disc divided over three discs. Fuck Aniplex, yo.

kunonabi

Top 10 anime for me

excluding movies

El-Hazard(no.1 all time)
Monster
You're Under Arrest
Kodomo no Omocha
Eyeshield 21
Bubblegum Crisis
Yawara
Hajime no Ippo
Gunbuster
watamote

Man I'm happy I got that Mirei figure for free when my brother was trimming his collection.

Top 10 anime for me

excluding movies

El-Hazard(no.1 all time)
Monster
You're Under Arrest
Kodomo no Omocha
Eyeshield 21
Bubblegum Crisis
Yawara
Hajime no Ippo
Gunbuster
watamote

Man I'm happy I got that Mirei figure for free when my brother was trimming his collection.

Loved those, only really watched the OVAs I need to snag a set of the DVDs. I loved the attention to detail on the cars.

I just noticed the lack of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo in these top 10 list. Shameful display...

If it makes you feel better mine would have to be

K-On
Toradora
Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Kill La Kill
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell (movies)
Nichijou
Golden Boy

Dead

well not really...yet
The Ultimate Spidey fig is finally here

4LryMPF.jpg

kewlmyc

For those with Detolfs, do you guys place them on top of other furniture in order to see the bottom shelf? I've heard that some people place them on sideways bookshelves, but would a bookshelf be able to hold 3 detolfs without breaking? Do you guys use other furniture?

Josephl64

If it makes you feel better mine would have to be

K-On
Toradora
Evangelion
Samurai Champloo
Cowboy Bebop
Kill La Kill
FLCL
Ghost in the Shell (movies)
Nichijou
Golden Boy

mine is (yes my list is odd):

Spice & Wolf
Kimi ni Todoke
Chihayafuru
Moshidora
Habun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Chobits
Kanon 2006
Oda Nobuna no Yabou
Hajime no Ippo
Great Teacher Onizuka

RMI

Banned
It's a series I'd love to own on blu-ray, but the pricing is batshit insane at $40/disc divided over three discs. Fuck Aniplex, yo.

Agreed, that and monogatari both. I can't believe they'd try and make us pay Japanese BD prices for western releases, especially since all can be watched for free on Crunchy Roll.

The Madoka BD was £21 when I bought it. Rebellion ended up costing way more lol

For those with Detolfs, do you guys place them on top of other furniture in order to see the bottom shelf? I've heard that some people place them on sideways bookshelves, but would a bookshelf be able to hold 3 detolfs without breaking? Do you guys use other furniture?

Mine are raised on individual Ikea Expedits. One per detolf. I like the look of the thicker borders with them being individual, and there's less concern over structural stability. It's definitely worth doing though, whatever method you end up using.

kewlmyc

Mine are raised on individual Ikea Expedits. One per detolf. I like the look of the thicker borders with them being individual, and there's less concern over structural stability. It's definitely worth doing though, whatever method you end up using.

Apparently they've been discontinued.
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Arveene

Neo Member
Welp. After about two months of being away from figures, I've returned. If you're going to quit collecting, you should probably just cancel all your pre-orders too. I ended up with a March order that was nearly $800 and I ended up pre-ordering more stuff...

Just caught up on about fifty pages on this thread.

Agreed, that and monogatari both. I can't believe they'd try and make us pay Japanese BD prices for western releases, especially since all can be watched for free on Crunchy Roll.

That's the real kicker. I think the US release has subtitled as well as English dub. But I never really appreciated subbed anime until I started using crunchyrol to watch weekly series. Now it seems like the correct way to watch anime. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a subtitle nazi like a lot of anime fans that despise dubs, but I don't really have a preference the way that I used to.

Do what I'm doing. Buying a multi-region BD player and import from the UK. The entire series is 40 pounds over there.

40 pounds? That sounds pretty heavy for a blu-ray set! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. :(

Welp. After about two months of being away from figures, I've returned. If you're going to quit collecting, you should probably just cancel all your pre-orders too. I ended up with a March order that was nearly $800 and I ended up pre-ordering more stuff...

You are already poor.

Bombless

I demand a list. With pictures.

RMI

Banned
That's the real kicker. I think the US release has subtitled as well as English dub. But I never really appreciated subbed anime until I started using crunchyrol to watch weekly series. Now it seems like the correct way to watch anime. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a subtitle nazi like a lot of anime fans that despise dubs, but I don't really have a preference the way that I used to.

I'd be curious to see them dubbed. My experiences with dubbed anime go way back to the 90s where dubs were basically terrible across the board. Have they improved much since then? I usually watch everything in the original language, except for recent ghibli films which IMO have had excellent dubs.

So I'm currently negotiating purchase on a house right now. This is by far the most stressful purchase I've ever made, far more than any figure that's for sure. Wish me luck figureGAF, if everything works out it'll definitely mean more room for my colleciton muahahahah.

I'd be curious to see them dubbed. My experiences with dubbed anime go way back to the 90s where dubs were basically terrible across the board. Have they improved much since then? I usually watch everything in the original language, except for recent ghibli films which IMO have had excellent dubs.

Most of Funimation's recent dubs (that I've actually heard) have been pretty solid. I think the days of DBZ-bad dubbing are gone.

kewlmyc

Keep dreaming. And besides, it's Plex. As I was saying earlier, if Max Factory made a 20" figure of the Female Titan, I'd be down. Money would be no object.

Also, where the FUCK is Alter Labrys? Dat bitch been painted for months.

I'm unfamiliar with Plex. Are they an expensive company. MFC seems to show they do random One Piece figures.

I wish at least hentai stayed Bible Black bad, saw a clip...it's actually decent now :'(

Oh man, I haven't watched Hentai in years. How's the animation these days? Viper GTS and Sexfriend used to be top-tier. I was also quite fond of Slight Fever Syndrome.

I'm unfamiliar with Plex. Are they an expensive company. MFC seems to show they do random One Piece figures.

Their prices seem fairly low to middle-of-the-road. But I would imagine that means their quality is as well. They made some Naruto figures as well.

Josephl64

Oh man, I haven't watched Hentai in years. How's the animation these days? Viper GTS and Sexfriend used to be top-tier. I was also quite fond of Slight Fever Syndrome.

Their prices seem fairly low to middle-of-the-road. But I would imagine that means their quality is as well. They made some Naruto figures as well.

just the same as anime in that the majority of b-tier, but every now and then there is something amazingly high in quality. Usually anything Tony Taka

I hate to be that guy but...Satsuki's mouth is bothering me in the image on the last page. Will have to see her painted. Don't screw this up Phat!

Also, that cutie back there is Akagi!

I have the figma pre-ordered.
Just preordered, can't wait.
Even though I don't know the source material very well she is just one cool looking figure(though I need some BlueSteel Figma).

Shouldn't we see Figma Lucina soon? The preorders are showing up for these in August and Lucina is supposed to be September.

Giolon

Just preordered, can't wait.
Even though I don't know the source material very well she is just one cool looking figure(though I need some BlueSteel Figma).

Shouldn't we see Figma Lucina soon? The preorders are showing up for these in August and Lucina is supposed to be September.

Lucina has not even been shown painted yet. We'd have to if she's going to make it out "on time", but I wouldn't hold my breath.

javac

I hate to be that guy but...Satsuki's mouth is bothering me in the image on the last page. Will have to see her painted. Don't screw this up Phat!

It's on the same page!
100ppp represent. Double the figure representation on a single page or your money back.

But yeah her sculpt looks amazing to me so far. I'm really excited to have both her and Ryuko duking it out on mah desk. Hopefully we get some of her in *kinda KLK spoilers?*
her dress with dat short hair
too, oh man shit why am I giving them ideas! Fuck!

Kazzy

[thread=800466]Lots were sucked in with this thread.[/thread]

You could most likely stealth a lot of people into this hobby, simply with a Nendoroid thread. They are pretty much the antithesis of the negatives of figures (at least for me) - Affordable, compact, and you wouldn't be embarrassed to display them.

javac

You could most likely stealth a lot of people into this hobby, simply with a Nendoroid thread. They are pretty much the antithesis of the negatives of figures (at least for me) - Affordable, compact, and you wouldn't be embarrassed to display them.

They seem expensive in my opinion. 2 to 3k+ for a tiny figure is a lot. Not exactly gashapons now are they? :p

Obviously really high quality and larger etc but they don't seem to be as 'catch them all' as people make them out to be. I'm only getting that Ryuko Nendoroid because Kill la Kill. Don't need any other reason. It doesn't even look that good and in general never seem to grasp the essence of the characters. The Mako one doesn't even really look like her at all. That's not the Mako I know. The Ryuko figma looks awesome as does the phat figure however.

Lucina has not even been shown painted yet.
Thats what I mean, these are already hitting preorders for August and the figure supposedly releasing in September hasn't even been seen painted yet.

Poor Lucina seems to be in development hell.
Wish Indy had been in that position maybe they could have fixed his face.

tuffy

Yamato's Arcadia's new 1/60 YF-19 has arrived:
It's completely different from their previous one with a lot more detail and better proportions. It's also a lot more sturdy. Whereas the old YF-19 was mostly plastic with a few die-cast bits (like the landing gear), the new version has lots of metal skeleton parts and weighs about twice as much.

It may not be quite as detailed as Hasegawa's models, but I like that it's actually transformable (and there's no painting or glue required).

Bombless

Yamato's Arcadia's new 1/60 YF-19 has arrived:

It's completely different from their previous one with a lot more detail and better proportions. It's also a lot more sturdy. Whereas the old YF-19 was mostly plastic with a few die-cast bits (like the landing gear), the new version has lots of metal skeleton parts and weighs about twice as much.

It may not be quite as detailed as Hasegawa's models, but I like that it's actually transformable (and there's no painting or glue required).

I've opened mine but haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. The amount of weapons for it is staggering Oo....and so is the ridiculous number of stickers. I won't be touching those.

But it's so gorgeous. They better make a matching YF-21!

Edit : No Isamu "Asshole" Dyson in the cockpit?!?

tuffy

I've opened mine but haven't taken it out of the plastic yet. The amount of weapons for it is staggering Oo....and so is the ridiculous number of stickers. I won't be touching those.

But it's so gorgeous. They better make a matching YF-21!
I never could bring myself to get the old YF-21 because battroid mode didn't look quite right, but I'll be there day 1 if a new one gets the proportions better.
Edit : No Isamu "Asshole" Dyson in the cockpit?!?
It just arrived today and my poor butterfingers are still trying to get the FAST pack parts in place without messing up. But I see they even added mounts that fit the old light-up fold engine. It's like they've thought of everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom