• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

They seem expensive in my opinion. 2 to 3k+ for a tiny figure is a lot. Not exactly gashapons now are they? :p

Obviously really high quality and larger etc but they don't seem to be as 'catch them all' as people make them out to be. I'm only getting that Ryuko Nendoroid because Kill la Kill. Don't need any other reason. It doesn't even look that good and in general never seem to grasp the essence of the characters. The Mako one doesn't even really look like her at all. That's not the Mako I know.

Doing anything just because of Kill la Kill is always a bad idea. What a meandering, disappointing, thing that turned out to be.

And it's obviously a stylistic thing with how they look, but I really do thing they evoke/resemble their source material. I wouldn't like them if they didn't!

Arveene

Neo Member
I demand a list. With pictures.

Hobby Search actually split it into two boxes. I'll take pictures when they get here. Delays and me going a little bit nuts with the pre-orders made the March order surprisingly large. I had to request a payment extension.

You are already poor.

Good thing my only hobbies are gaming and figure collecting. I'm slightly afraid to add up how much I've spent on this hobby.

I ended up ordering Max Factory's Kongo today.

javac

And it's obviously a stylistic thing with how they look, but I really do thing they evoke/resemble their source material. I wouldn't like them if they didn't!

I don't really like them at all apart from a tiny select few. Ryuko actually looks decent thankfully. Mako not so much. Something soo off putting about nendoroids in general I can't put my finger on. The recent Link being an example of one I think looks unappealing to me. Just legit looks weird to me. I hate Link tho so maybe that's why.

johnsmith

remember me
$360
300173_Sf4233sb_press06.jpg

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/90s-era-jean-grey-joins-the-x-men-collection/

Apparently they've been discontinued.
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Expedit was killed just a few weeks ago.

However, they're released under a new name now, called Kallax. Only difference is the sidewalls are a bit thinner. You'll only notice if you have actual Expedits next to them. If you don't, no big deal.

apricot

Pretty tempted by the Etrian Odyssey IV Sniper Girl plastic model... Does anyone know if it's pre-painted? I've never delved into the world of plastic models ;_;

I'm inclined to hold off to see if they release more EOIV classes but $30 isn't bad...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Not related to figures, but I reckon the people here probably have the most experience with this sort of thing. Any australians know how SAL delivery from japan is handled by AUSpost?

apricot

Not related to figures, but I reckon the people here probably have the most experience with this sort of thing. Any australians know how SAL delivery from japan is handled by AUSpost?

How exactly do you mean? It generally takes about 2 weeks for me to get something via SAL (I'm in Brisbane). No signature so they either dump it in my mailbox or by the door which always makes me nervous haha (I live in an apartment complex)

Antiwhippy

How exactly do you mean? It generally takes about 2 weeks for me to get something via SAL (I'm in Brisbane). No signature so they either dump it in my mailbox or by the door which always makes me nervous haha (I live in an apartment complex)

I have a weird thing with my address (seeing that it's pretty new) so I had some trouble before when I had stuff fedexed over. Auspost finds it just fine, so I'm wondering if auspost handles SAL deliveries from japan.

Also would like to know how the tracking is handled.

apricot

Standard SAL doesn't include tracking, but I believe some sites like Ami Ami offer SAL with tracking, or at least registered SAL. If you've had problems before with FedEx though I don't know if I'd recommend SAL unless you make sure you have tracking

Edit: Sorry, I just saw the "if Auspost handles SAL from Japan" (read it wrong hah), and yes, they do. So maybe you'll be fine!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm wondering if I should risk SAL unregistered next time. Royal Mail (UK) is so slow to update their tracking website that I often receive the parcel before the website can even say its in the country. I've heard being unregistered helps your chances of not being caught by customs.

Antiwhippy

Standard SAL doesn't include tracking, but I believe some sites like Ami Ami offer SAL with tracking, or at least registered SAL. If you've had problems before with FedEx though I don't know if I'd recommend SAL unless you make sure you have tracking

Edit: Sorry, I just saw the "if Auspost handles SAL from Japan" (read it wrong hah), and yes, they do. So maybe you'll be fine!

Alright, awesome!

I think I should be fine in regards to not being able to track.

Arveene

Neo Member
dang, she goes for cheap now. i should have sold her while she was peaking at $200~

Yeah, I bought mine for around $110 back in 2011. Seems a bit odd that she's dropping in price. Older collectors selling off their collections and not enough new collectors that know the source?

Last two, I need to stop looking before I actually buy something.

Buddy (Alter) - http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-749635.html - 6000 yen
Sansei Muramasa (Max Factory) - http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1021248.html - 12000 yen

Edit: Supposedly N-Y doesn't allow you to cancel orders anymore.

Pretty tempted by the Etrian Odyssey IV Sniper Girl plastic model... Does anyone know if it's pre-painted? I've never delved into the world of plastic models ;_;

I'm inclined to hold off to see if they release more EOIV classes but $30 isn't bad...
Glad you posted this, I forgot about the kit and missed it going up for preorder. If the Kos-Mos and Yotsuba Kotobukiya kits are anything to go buy, the only prepainted parts will be small detailed bits and faces.

I have a weird thing with my address (seeing that it's pretty new) so I had some trouble before when I had stuff fedexed over. Auspost finds it just fine, so I'm wondering if auspost handles SAL deliveries from japan.

SAL, Air Small Packet and EMS will all be delivered by Auspost, as far as I can tell only the private companies will deliver the items themselves like DHL (I don't recommed DHL for Australians even if you want it fast).

Tracking codes will work on the Japan Post website until the item has left Japan and then it will show on Australia Post's tracking when it arrives in the country. Auspost is spotty though and will sometimes not update at all even after you received the package.

Also, like apricot said, SAL has typically taken about 2 weeks to arrive in Brisbane, EMS has usually been about a week and Air Small Package has been between the two. Air Small Package is what I have been using a lot lately on higher value packages now that registered SAL is no longer available to Australia. Whether the item is left without signing or has to be picked up from the post office is beyond me, I don't think I have had any just left except for some Super Famicom games over Ebay, but it may depend on the delivery person and the level of insurance.

apricot

Glad you posted this, I forgot about the kit and missed it going up for preorder. If the Kos-Mos and Yotsuba Kotobukiya kits are anything to go buy, the only prepainted parts will be small detailed bits and faces.

Oh no, I don't think I can do this then :/ I'm not ready to paint stuff myself haha. She's super cute though! Post pictures when you get her :3

SAL, Air Small Packet and EMS will all be delivered by Auspost, as far as I can tell only the private companies will deliver the items themselves like DHL (I don't recommed DHL for Australians even if you want it fast).

What's your problem been with DHL? Amazon.jp uses that by default, and it always comes in 2 days. The only thing I don't like is that they leave the package rather than having you sign for it

Also, like apricot said, SAL has typically taken about 2 weeks to arrive in Brisbane, EMS has usually been about a week and Air Small Package has been between the two.

Oh, another Brisbanite?! :D

Actually, I ordered Air Small Package from Ami Ami for the first time the other day, it shipped on the 14th and doesn't appear to have even left Japan yet. Hopefully I get it sometime next week, but with the holiday it'll probably get pushed back more

Antiwhippy

Tracking codes will work on the Japan Post website until the item has left Japan and then it will show on Australia Post's tracking when it arrives in the country. Auspost is spotty though and will sometimes not update at all even after you received the package.

Also, like apricot said, SAL has typically taken about 2 weeks to arrive in Brisbane, EMS has usually been about a week and Air Small Package has been between the two. Air Small Package is what I have been using a lot lately on higher value packages now that registered SAL is no longer available to Australia. Whether the item is left without signing or has to be picked up from the post office is beyond me, I don't think I have had any just left except for some Super Famicom games over Ebay, but it may depend on the delivery person and the level of insurance.

Alright, thanks for all that info. Opted to go for SAL in the end.

If anyone wants to know what I'm getting, it's not figure related but it's kinda similar to the interest in here I guess. Got these 2 artbooks.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-756660
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-998961

I'm wondering if I should risk SAL unregistered next time. Royal Mail (UK) is so slow to update their tracking website that I often receive the parcel before the website can even say its in the country. I've heard being unregistered helps your chances of not being caught by customs.
I pretty much went with unregistered SAL, I got hit by customs every time I went with registered, about 5/6 times hit by customs with unregistered...so worth a try but kind of the reason I try to use BigInJapan and Nippon Yasan as of late, seeing as they marked down.
I kinda like this one of Kuroneko

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-005568&page=top

Haven't really seen Pulchra before, good quality?

Found the MFC page for you also manufacturer here.

Oh no, I don't think I can do this then :/ I'm not ready to paint stuff myself haha. She's super cute though! Post pictures when you get her :3
It's not necessarily something that needs to be heavily painted, or even painted at all. The parts are still dyed the colour they should be, if in doubt you could probably hold off until some shots of the actual included sprues and painted parts comes out, Hobby Search usually puts up pictures of the included items when it is released.

What's your problem been with DHL? Amazon.jp uses that by default, and it always comes in 2 days. The only thing I don't like is that they leave the package rather than having you sign for it
Two weeks after I received a delivery from Mandarake through them they sent me an invoice for a "quaranatine processing fee" that totaled $47.30, what I had bought was only 2000 Yen. They waived it after an angry email, if they are going to expect me to pay this they could have at least told me before I signed for it.

Oh, another Brisbanite?! :D

Actually, I ordered Air Small Package from Ami Ami for the first time the other day, it shipped on the 14th and doesn't appear to have even left Japan yet. Hopefully I get it sometime next week, but with the holiday it'll probably get pushed back more

Yep :)
I have found Air Small Package to be reliably speedy and is a reasonable alternative to RSAL. I usually try to avoid deliveries over the holiday period, so I can't speak too much for it, but I didn't seem to have any difficulty around Christmas.

I pretty much went with unregistered SAL, I got hit by customs every time I went with registered, about 5/6 times hit by customs with unregistered...so worth a try but kind of the reason I try to use BigInJapan and Nippon Yasan as of late, seeing as they marked down.

Found the MFC page for you also manufacturer here.

I could have easily found those myself. Just asking if anyone had experience with any of their figures.

I could have easily found those myself. Just asking if anyone had experience with any of their figures.

Just saying that I doubt most people here bought Pulchra figures before with what it seemingly only started up recently production wise, so why you should probably read up on the comments of their past products. Though I do think someone in the thread brought those mobile phone stands.

So my advice is to read up their other released figures comments, such as this one or this one.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Yeah, I learnt about this the other day so I may look it to using them instead. Shame the one fig coming out soon I may consider is not even available on one and out of stock on the other. AmiAmi does have the advantage of sometimes giving you a bit of time to think things over/just having it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did the release of bishoujo Chun-Li already come and go in the U.S.? Did Amazon ever get her in stock? She's only being sold by third parties right now.

I just picked up Jun Kazama for $56.

Dayum... Miku-chan lookin' fine, sahn.

When does she come out? Still haven't gotten a payment request from AmiAmi for her. Though I already paid for my main April order (Armored Wonder Woman and Mara Jade bishoujos + A/B Melona) and got my shipping notification already. Wheeeee!

Ummmmmmmmmm....

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The psycho pass figure, there are something off about the head. The rest of the figure look pretty nice though.

I'm looking forward to this figure. What's the problem?

Dat face. Looks like the lower half is protruding like a canine snout. XD

I haven't actually seen the show yet, I just got my Psycho Pass blu-rays in the mail from Amazon yesterday. Going to dig into it this weekend.

kewlmyc

I haven't actually seen the show yet, I just got my Psycho Pass blu-rays in the mail from Amazon yesterday. Going to dig into it this weekend.
She looks weird in the show too
Tsunemori-akane.png

You get used to it though.

Ryuuroden

Its a great show. I got my LE bluray box set of the series from rightstuf like a week ago. I don't buy many anime dvds anymore cause lego and figures but I had to own that series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom