• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I had a big package day today! Three figures arrived, as well as my new macro lens. Of course I had to take it out for a spin this morning before I went to work. My first subject?

Wing's Fiona Yamashita Shunya ver. of course! Check out the power of this lens (the ISO, and thus noise, is still fairly high on these b/c they were taken indoors in relatively low light):

My next target? The new Mara Jade Bishoujo!

I don't think her face is quite as lovely as Jaina's, but holy smokes DAT ASS! Perfect timing for the "life vs hometown" debate don't you think?

Also arrived today is Melda, who I think turned out much better than Akira Yamamoto. It's still a bit tragic how they use such a matte material for the space suits, but her face looks good and close to the prototype rather than the sort of amorphous doughy look Akira's production run ended up with. I'll take photos of her later this weekend.

The third that arrived is the A/B Cryska Barchenowa that I got from AmiAmi pre-owned. I'm not sure if there's still interest in a photo shoot of her since she's kind of old.

Fiona looks great. She's one that I kept going back and forth on pre-ordering. Maybe I can pick one up down the line second-hand.

For some reason, the Kotobukiya bishoujo faces have all recently started looking off to me, particularly the eyes on close-up.

tuffy

AoT pricing is gonna be bad. English version of the anime went up for order on Amazon, and its currently $76 (and that's after the discount) JUST FOR PART ONE.
That's the price of the limited edition featuring a bunch of physical extras. The regular edition's ~$45.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Oh, it's episodes 1-13? That's actually not bad. Most anime blu-rays are around $45-50 for the first season. LE packages are always higher priced.

It's not like it's Aniplex price gouging.

tuffy

Oh, it's episodes 1-13? That's actually not bad. Most anime blu-rays are around $45-50 for the first season. LE packages are always higher priced.

It's not like it's Aniplex price gouging.
And it's Funimation, which means a convenient BluRay/DVD combo pack. It's not like the crazy early 2000s when every show would get spread out over 4-8 volumes.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
And it's Funimation, which means a convenient BluRay/DVD combo pack. It's not like the crazy early 2000s when every show would get spread out over 4-8 volumes.

Funimation's been doing great work lately. I feel like I've been picking up more and more of their stuff.

I am asking that myself too and would go even farther. I wouldn't mind if the industry stop with DVDs entirely. Did it take so long to get rid of VHS too?

You could probably make the case that you also have the DVD version to show to people who don't own blu-ray players, but I don't associate with savages.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I have blu-ray players, why do I need the DVD version too?

I guess maybe because some people still don't have bluray players, but will eventually get them? And what they're charging for the two pack is the same as what companies like Bandai was charging for a DVD of 4 episodes not that long ago? If you can find the first season of any popular anime on bluray for under $30 on release, I'd be really surprised.

I guess from my perspective, I don't need the DVD versions. I can share them. Or I can use them on my laptop that doesn't have a bluray drive.

Amiami? I have my Mara Jade and Armored WW ordered through DCBS, so it'll be a while.

Indeed. I wasn't expecting them until the end of the month. Now I just gotta pay for Miku2020 and April is done. It wasn't nearly as rapey as March. Not impulse-buying like, five pre-owned figures helped. XD

For those of you waiting for more bishoujo reissues from Kotobukiya (its bad news)...

This is from gonk, the Koto rep that posts over at Statue Forum:

gonk said:
So to clarify a few points:

The blue costume Batgirl Bishoujo statue is going back into a limited production. Demand was high enough to warrant another run. This reproduction was scheduled earlier this year so whoever was speaking about this at the Philadelphia Convention last year would not have known about these plans.

A reproduction of an existing release does not take resources away from our development teams who are responsible for scheduling new Bishoujo characters.

This could obviously change but the smaller 1/8 scale Marvel Bishouo statues will likely not be reproduced moving forward. Our desire is to focus on the standard 1/7 scale.

The Catwoman Bishoujo will not be reproduced and as originally stated years ago was a one-time production run.

Limited-run convention exclusives (SDCC) will not be reproduced.

Store and company exclusives (BioWare Commander Shepard) will not be reproduced.

Bishoujos from older licenses (Ghostbusters, MIB3) will not be reproduced.

In better news, Touch Detective Nendoooooooo!
140418_nendoroid2-noscale.jpg

140418_face12-noscale.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
For those of you waiting for more bishoujo reissues from Kotobukiya (its bad news)...

This is from gonk, the Koto rep that posts over at Statue Forum:

In better news, Touch Detective Nendoooooooo!

Hm, so it looks like Tekken or DC reissues are still possible, I guess?

Hm, so it looks like Tekken or DC reissues are still possible, I guess?

Hm. This is totally speculation, but I would imagine that it might be a possibility at some point. But not just yet. The DC and Marvel lines are the oldest of the bishoujo series, and even they don't get too many reissues. If it's a question of popularity, I don't know if the Tekken line can hold a candle to the former two.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hm. This is totally speculation, but I would imagine that it might be a possibility at some point. But not just yet. The DC and Marvel lines are the oldest of the bishoujo series, and even they don't get too many reissues. If it's a question of popularity, I don't know if the Tekken line can hold a candle to the former two.

Yeah, Tekken is definitely not going to have the same level of demand as DC or Marvel.

Did they start the DC line after the Marvel line? Was the DC line always 1/7 scale? I started collecting when they were making the switch in the Marvel line, I think.

Giolon

I knew you'd be on top of this. XD

Do they have a release month all picked out yet?

I wanna say the DC line started first, but I don't honestly know the answer to that one.

Rogue was the first Bishoujo, followed by Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Psylocke, and then Jean Grey. After that, they started getting larger. I want to say Supergirl was the first DC Bishoujo, but I'm not 100% on that.

sca2511

Blue Batgirl Bishoujo going back into production, huh? I was adamant with not picking it up since I already own the black bishoujo and Bruce Timm/DC Direct one, but mannnnnn.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Damn by the time I get my figinstock email Momohime's already gone.

So I decided to pre-order another Nendoroid Link to keep in the box. Thinking of doing the same for Touch Detective so I don't have to worry if an accident happens to her while being displayed.

Anyone else does this for Nendoroids?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Received notification of an unopened regular Emma Frost bishoujo on Mandarake and within two minutes it sold. Rage storm incoming. T_T

So I decided to pre-order another Nendoroid Link to keep in the box. Thinking of doing the same for Touch Detective so I don't have to worry if an accident happens to her while being displayed.

Anyone else does this for Nendoroids?

I don't even buy Nendos. I caved on Snow Miku, and I may get Touch Detective. But I'm not making a habit out of it.

Done and that's rather odd =/

Could be a false positive, but why take the chance?

Received notification of an unopened regular Emma Frost bishoujo on Mandarake and within two minutes it sold. Rage storm incoming. T_T

Ouch. What was the asking price? I generally wouldn't pay more than $100 for a bishoujo.

Dammit, I finally got in my Figma BRS Strength and said it would be the only figure I ever bought but here I am with Nendo Link and the EOIV Sniper kit preordered for August. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom