• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

george_us

Once it became clear that anime wasn't going to become a mainstream hit after the bubble burst circa 2007, publishers started to fall back on the Japanese model. Pump up the prices, and make their profit off of pure margins rather than volume. Aniplex is by far the worst offender. They and Bandai (after shuttering their NA publishing arm) often decide to just quickly stamp a few rudimentary English subtitles onto what is basically their Japanese discs and just import them to NA and sell those at the same price.

In short, it sucks, but it works b/c they know there are enough people who will pay for it to make it worth their while. Their data also shows that reducing prices doesn't increase sales volume enough to make up for the loss in marginal profit.
Thanks for the explanation. Yeah once you put it like that I guess you can't really blame the Japanese for their crazy prices.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not completely related, but I know there are some folks in here that really like the Samurai Girls designs.

Ni0's Alluring Figure's hardcover artbook became available on Amazon, localized by Udon. Only $31.20.

This video review kinda makes me want to pick it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abqVNmcUx7o

Super ecchi, as one might expect.

Bombless

Their prices aren't the best, but Hobby Search customer support is great, and lightning fast. I sent them the email around 8am then went to sleep. They replied back 45 mins later, saying they forgot about it, that the items were ready to go and unless I wanted to add any item to the order they would invoice the payment.

Payment is finally made, 145€ (just under 20k JPY) total for 2020 Miku and Crystal Boy figma. Ow. She is worth every penny though!

Not completely related, but I know there are some folks in here that really like the Samurai Girls designs.

Ni0's Alluring Figure's hardcover artbook became available on Amazon, localized by Udon. Only $31.20.

Seems a bit pricey for only 176 pages. Nice-looking book, though. I may pick it up at some point.

apricot

my schoolgirl Miku Nendo finally came in!! aaaah she's so adorable, comes with a mini piano and everything. taking photos for my blog, can post here too later if anyone's interested

johnsmith

remember me
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-005918
bSmGO9M.png

thats-a-penis1.gif

i think i might have already made this joke

Ken

@ that god eater figure

I think what I don't like about it is the pose itself; there's a few elements trying to compete for my attention and it's ruining the figure for me, at least in that one picture

otherwise would waifu

@ that god eater figure

I think what I don't like about it is the pose itself; there's a few elements trying to compete for my attention and it's ruining the figure for me, at least in that one picture

otherwise would waifu

Well, that big monster mouth that's materializing out of the sword is actually removable. You can display her with just a normal weapon.

Ken

Well, that big monster mouth that's materializing out of the sword is actually removable. You can display her with just a normal weapon.

Even still, her arm is directing my eyes off towards the weapon's direction.

I guess you could say it works if the goal is to direct the attention towards the weapon, buuuut I don't wanna look at a weapon!

javac

I remember having a discussion here with some of you about Lagann on blu-ray. This is a figure thread so excuse me but I genuinely think/hope this might be of interest to some of you who reside in this thread. It's just some more info on the UK Lagann Ultimate edition. Link
Feel sleazy posting a link to a thread I created but just thought I'd post it here in case anyone was interested in the set.

Toki767

Nabbed that Triumphant Excalibur. Probably gonna be the only figure I guy in May. I chose Air Small Packet but I'm kind of doubting the order will ship using that lol

After messing around with her for a day, Figma Sayaka is one of my favorites.
She translated really well to Figma form, after getting her the hair thing doesn't bother me and she looks awesome without it anyway.
So I don't really have any negatives for the figure.

I do have to say from now on if any figure ever needs cloth for a cape or whatever they have to reuse this material, it blends with plastic much better than any attempt I have ever seen.

Ryuuroden

I remember having a discussion here with some of you about Lagann on blu-ray. This is a figure thread so excuse me but I genuinely think/hope this might be of interest to some of you who reside in this thread. It's just some more info on the UK Lagann Ultimate edition. Link
Feel sleazy posting a link to a thread I created but just thought I'd post it here in case anyone was interested in the set.

As long as you admit it makes you feel sleazy, everything is good :p

RocBase

Look's like Devil's Cheerleader PO is gonna start in July...
...And is limited to GSC's online shop???? ):

But I'm really liking the look of it, even if it means I'll have to be ass raped by taxes to get it. Didn't change the skin tone though, it's still whatever the heck kind of pink that is. It doesn't bother me at all personally but I'm not sure why they couldn't just get it to look closer to this, which would've looked much better.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate limited edition/store specific figures....

Welcome to the club!

Geez...pre-orders for the Bandai DX Chogokin Macross 30 YF-30 Chronos has been as bad as trying to get a pair of Jordan sneakers online.

I missed out at ami-ami, Hobby Search, HLJ, etc. after the fact...but was able to pre-order at Nippon-Yasan but at a slightly higher price.

I've regretted missing out on Yamato/Arcadia's VF-4G, I don't want to miss out on this one.

WolfStark

I've got my Special Forces of the World, Russia, Europe, Asia awhile ago, after I read the thread here and at the time I was in hospital the last days I've got the US part too. I can't read a single word japanese but both books are still pretty cool, thanks to all those military girls :D Thanks for introducing me into this guys^^

foto3aqnq.jpg

I've got my Special Forces of the World, Russia, Europe, Asia awhile ago, after I read the thread here and at the time I was in hospital the last days I've got the US part too. I can't read a single word japanese but both books are still pretty cool, thanks to all those military girls :D Thanks for introducing me into this guys^^

foto3aqnq.jpg

I have the one on the left coming to me. I think Johnsmith cost me money on this....

WolfStark

awesome, thanks. AmiAmi was sold out.

You're welcome. I searched awhile too and for a moment I had ordered from amazon.jp but then I remembered hobbysearch. Glad they had it and I found a few other books not from this series but with ships or guns as a theme. I discovered a taste for this stuff^^

LiK

You're welcome. I searched awhile too and for a moment I had ordered from amazon.jp but then I remembered hobbysearch. Glad they had it and I found a few other books not from this series but with ships or guns as a theme. I discovered a taste for this stuff^^

This also pushed me to order something else only they had in stock. I need to check their site more often. I used to buy from them more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom