• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really want this one. He looks a lot better than the classic Predator and the one from Pred 2. But seeing how I just got my Iron Man Mk7 and the HT Hulk is coming out real soon, my wife would kill me if I dropped another $200+ on a figure right now.

dammit

We-All-Know-That-Feel.png

The only month my gaming expenses will outspend my figure expenses is when PS4 gets released later this year.

I pre-ordered a PS4 from Amazon. Though I'm not sure I shouldn't wait until sometime around the spring to buy one. I don't really need Killzone on day one, and Watch Dogs will be on current-gen machines anyway. There is, however, a steady stream of current-gen games that I very much do want to play, all culminating in the spring with the release of Dark Souls II.

Jayhawk

The two next-gen games I've pre-ordered (Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs) with my PS4 will also be released on current-gen, but I would rather experience those games on the more powerful systems... and since I work for AMD, I gotta support my employers by buying consoles that make them money!

sky

Welp...my mother asked me for the Elf...and I gave it to her. Then she asked me about starting her own collection so I showed her a figure I wanted to gift her a while ago but chose not to because I thought it was too sexy. Turns out she loved it and had to order it that very moment lol.

scaredpeace.gif

Bombless

I guess the PVC gods are pleased with my preaching their faith and converting the masses.

Came home to find this waiting for me in the hallway.

72HXoZhl.jpg

Gorgeous box. Didn't expect that at all. Oh well, will unbox tomorrow, 4 days weekend means IT'S DRAGON'S CROWN TIME!

I think I made a mistake with my mother. I refused to make her a Hobby Search account. She scanned their entire pvc listing, wants pretty much half their stock. Doesn't bode well for the future...I don't want to be outmatched by my mother LOL.

The two next-gen games I've pre-ordered (Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch Dogs) with my PS4 will also be released on current-gen, but I would rather experience those games on the more powerful systems... and since I work for AMD, I gotta support my employers by buying consoles that make them money!

My concern is that there may be bugs to be worked out. I know that's standard with any new machine, but why not wait until later to buy one? I don't really want to drop cash for a system + accessories I'm not going to give a shit about for another six months. InFamous is the PS4 exclusive I really want, and that won't be out for a while. Also, I hate Assassin's Creed. The one-two punch of Revelations and ACIII made me quit the series. Brotherhood was easily the best game.

I think I made a mistake with my mother. I refused to make her a Hobby Search account. She scanned their entire pvc listing, wants pretty much half their stock. Doesn't bode well for the future...I don't want to be outmatched by my mother LOL.

Perfect situation... Set up an account for her as long as she agrees to buy one figure for you for every five she buys for herself.

Holy crap, Tales of Vesperia Estelle actually sold out? Interesting.

I ordered her the day AmiAmi put her up for sale. :D

I still hope she gets delayed... too much shit coming out next month.

Also.... Jaina Solo bishoujo getting a re-release? Why? I mean, she's on my want list, and I'll grab her... but I didn't think she was that popular. Or are they anticipating an uptake in sales when Mara drops?

My concern is that there may be bugs to be worked out. I know that's standard with any new machine, but why not wait until later to buy one? I don't really want to drop cash for a system + accessories I'm not going to give a shit about for another six months. InFamous is the PS4 exclusive I really want, and that won't be out for a while. Also, I hate Assassin's Creed. The one-two punch of Revelations and ACIII made me quit the series. Brotherhood was easily the
Yep in same situation but I'm gonna wait for Infamous to come out before getting PS4, especially by the time I do the price of the launch games are no longer overpriced.

And ditto on Assasins Creed, Revelations fecked up the controls for me and 3 continued the tradition, not buying AC4 at launch.

Estelle's sold out? Good thing I made up my mind to preorder it at HLJ.

Yep in same situation but I'm gonna wait for Infamous to come out before getting PS4, especially by the time I do the price of the launch games are no longer overpriced.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense for me to drop what? $700 for a new console/accessories/games when everything I want to play for the next six or seven months is going to be on current-gen consoles. :p

Estelle's sold out? Good thing I made up my mind to preorder it at HLJ.

Yeah, I checked HLJ, AmiAmi, and Nippon-Yasan. They're all sold out. I'm sure someone still has her for pre-order, but who knows at what price.

I'd only really get Momohime. She has one of the nicest character designs Vanillaware has made.

Yeah, I thought I was just going to get Momohime as well. Then AmiAmi happened to have more Kongiku pre-orders up one day. That said, I really don't regret either. Both are amazing figures.

Haha. I am waiting for maybe 10 or so POP figures from Mandarake and a few other sites to arrive. They're all being shipped right now, but they seem to be delayed because of the holidays in Japan. I've restricted myself to just POP figures, but then some figures from other sets have me interested like Vivi with all these guns below.

93001.jpg
Damn, you ordered ten at once? Im trying to collect the One Piece figures by group. Right now Im starting with the Supernovas, gonna move over to Shichibukais next or Whitebeards crew.

Jayhawk

Damn, you ordered ten at once? Im trying to collect the One Piece figures by group. Right now Im starting with the Supernovas, gonna move over to Shichibukais next or Whitebeards crew.

Well, not all at once, but over a 2-3 week span. I am following your route and picking character groups first. I have been regularly scouting the pre-owned items on Mandarake and Amiami and jumping at stuff that is priced fairly based on the history of sales for those specific figures and my judgment of their scarcity. I seem to be targeting the rarer POP figures first though. I am not even going to consider the figures that are so rare and go for $300+. ><

Well, not all at once, but over a 2-3 week span. I am following your route and picking character groups first. I have been regularly scouting the pre-owned items on Mandarake and Amiami and jumping at stuff that is priced fairly based on the history of sales for those specific figures and my judgment of their scarcity. I seem to be targeting the rarer POP figures first though. I am not even going to consider the figures that are so rare and go for $300+. ><
I dont know if I can even afford P.O.P figures. Figures aren't my main hobby. But I really want Sabo.

Jayhawk

Nevermind I ordered him. When they email back is when I supply the credit card information? It didnt ask for it, just asked if I was paying with one.

Yes, they'll ask for the CC information in a day or so after they confirm the item wasn't bought in store since they put that item up for sale at Mandarake.

Side Note: Post 300

The collection grows!

c29wet3.jpg

There's a few I skipped on purpose. Yellow and Blue Yoshi, Ice Luigi (thinking about it still), and Diddy Kong. There's 4 that are a part of a double pack I might skip and there's several exclusive to actual playsets right now that I'll skip, fingers crossed they come out as blind bags in the future though (Tanooki suit!)

Rootbeer

Banned
Oh, man... I've been so tempted to get into those Mario K'NEX since it's hard to find decent mario figures... why must you do this to me :|

Oh, man... I've been so tempted to get into those Mario K'NEX since it's hard to find decent mario figures... why must you do this to me :|

There's a few that might be ebay only by now, it seems like whenever the new series comes out it wipes all the old ones off the face of the Earth, in stores that is. Bowser in particular probably cannot be found in stores

Yes, they'll ask for the CC information in a day or so after they confirm the item wasn't bought in store since they put that item up for sale at Mandarake.

Side Note: Post 300
The suspense is gonna kill me.

So do any of the Jump series get decent figures? In a quick search didnt see muxh for Bleach. Aladdin might be a preorder for me though. AmiAmi needs to put those Shingeki no Kyojin figs up.

Toki767

So do any of the Jump series get decent figures? In a quick search didnt see muxh for Bleach. Aladdin might be a preorder for me though. AmiAmi needs to put those Shingeki no Kyojin figs up.

A lot of Bleach characters have figures I believe. Are you looking for one in general? Sometimes it helps to search for their name in Japanese characters.

The suspense is gonna kill me.

Figuarts Zero have several Bleach figures, there's G.E.M Ichigo figure IIRC, Play Arts Kai had Rukia, Ichigo and Toshiro but there won't be much Bleach figures anymore especially with the sharp decline of its popularity due to numerous fillers =/, so they'll get rarer and rarer now.

A lot of Bleach characters have figures I believe. Are you looking for one in general? Sometimes it helps to search for their name in Japanese characters.

Megahouse did a bunch of Bleach characters a few years back. They're a bit pricey now, though. I still have a sealed Matsumoto and Yoruichi I've been thinking about selling. There've been a few more recent figures as well, tying into the Espada story arcs.

As for the Attack on Titan figures, they'll go up for pre-order just as soon as the manufacturers provide release date and pricing information. You'll never see anything put up for sale before pictures of a completed prototype hit the internet.

johnsmith

remember me
Just got back from ikea with a bunch of open shelves and lights. My girls will finally escape their cardboard and plastic prisons.

Jayhawk

I remember the first time I bought a detolf. I hurt my lower back because I was in a weird position using one leg to keep the cart it was on from rolling downhill while I was picking up the detolf to put into my trunk.

johnsmith, what shelving system did you end up buying from Ikea? I am using the ikea planner right now to figure out how I want to organize my shelves. It looks like I will be going with black/brown bestas with glass doors since the white bestas seem to turn yellow after a while since the white is not glossy.

george_us

The Bishoujo Figures alone may keep me hooked. In addition to the Black Canary Illustration, I just found out about Mara Jade. Hot damn that statue looks baller as fuck.

johnsmith

remember me
johnsmith, what shelving system did you end up buying from Ikea? I am using the ikea planner right now to figure out how I want to organize my shelves. It looks like I will be going with black/brown bestas with glass doors since the white bestas seem to turn yellow after a while since the white is not glossy.

I just bought some open shelves to put above my computer and tv.

EKBY BJÄRNUM brackers
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10136135/

EKBY JÄRPEN shelves ( I wanted hemnes bc they're solid wood, but they're not thick enough, didn't find out until after I got home and had to drive back, and Ikea is almost an hour away, total pita)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10056987/#/00094348

Work in progress pic. I'm going to put some fabric panels between the shelves, and some dioder light strips.

I have another wall I need to put some bookcases in, but I'm probably gonna go with these from target. I already have a couple and I think they look pretty good for the price. They feel a lot sturdier than the ikea bookcases. I wanted the hemnes ones, but they feel a little wobbly compared to these. Like Bombless and Giolon I feel that glass makes them feel too precious. I don't like the feel it would give the room.
http://www.target.com/p/threshold-carson-5-shelf-bookcase/-/A-11111129

I would think about ordering if there was a good Judith figure available (I think someone mentioned her a few pages back) and if my home situation was amiable towards something like figure collecting.

Giolon

I would think about ordering if there was a good Judith figure available (I think someone mentioned her a few pages back) and if my home situation was amiable towards something like figure collecting.

Alter's been iterating through the whole cast of Vesperia (Flynn, Yuri, Rita, Raven and now Estelle). Hopefully they'll get there. :)

androidcandy

Neo Member
Alter's been iterating through the whole cast of Vesperia (Flynn, Yuri, Rita, Raven and now Estelle). Hopefully they'll get there. :)

I have the first 3, but I don't know if I have enough steam to buy all the rest. There are so many other figs I want. They look really great though I will probably get Judith when they make it to her.

Giolon

I have the first 3, but I don't know if I have enough steam to buy all the rest. There are so many other figs I want. They look really great though I will probably get Judith when they make it to her.

I don't have any of them, but I came really close to ordering Estelle. I have a really bad completist streak and I fear that if I bought one, I'd feel compelled to pick the rest up even though I don't care for some of them particularly much (Rita's cat-mouth was particularly disappointing to me). Judith has a particularly good chance of breaking my willpower.

That Vesperia anime did make me want to pick up Yuri and Flynn pretty badly when I saw it earlier this year. it was surprisingly good, and made me even more sad that we never got the PS3 version of the game. One of the characters from it shows up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom