• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokieks

wow, all by yourself? no help?

Yeah, by myself. I had to do most of the moving by sliding it across and up the carpeted floor/stairs of my apartment complex, and the box was in pretty rough shape by the time I actually got it into my unit.

Not doing that again.

sky

Figure GAF: A spiralling web of denial...

Lurking Figure GAF… "just curious"
Bookmarking Figure blogs… "some cool stuff on here"
Purchasing first figure… "I'll just get one"
Starts creating wish lists on amiami/mfc … "just for fun, I don't actually need them"
Adding alerts to Figinstock … "doesn't mean I'll really buy them"
Checking amiami/mandrake daily … "I can stop anytime"
Purchasing Detolfs … "one is all i'll ever need..."

Jayhawk

Sleep is for the weak! Real men stay up 24/7 hitting refresh.

One takeaway from missing out on an item sold while I was asleep is that I get a better idea of the current price for that item. I wish mandarake had a timestamp of when they put an item up for sale, so I didn't have to rely on my browser history and my memory when browsing through the sold out stuff.

Bombless

Starts creating wish lists on amiami/mfc … "just for fun, I don't actually need them"

This should be in the OP as disclaimer :p

androidcandy

Neo Member
Don't think it would go over very well with the folks. Especially considering what I've been doing for the past couple years.

If I can get things on track I'll consider it but until then I'll be lurking the hell out of this thread.

I know the feeling my mom thinks I am crazy because of all the figures I buy, but whatever I do it anyways lol. I just cant stop!

chrono01

Haha, well-said!

By the way, for those interested in Kaname Madoka - Maiko Ver. [pictured below] be prepared to spend some money. Apparently she's an exclusive to a festival event in Kyoto, Japan as well as to Aniplex's online store [they only ship within Japan]. She also retails for 9524 yen and, for her simple pose as well as being a 1/8 scale, is pretty over-priced IMO.

ibzyi6qVTPtJEN.png

GSC has really increased the price of their 1/8 over the last several months, as well as the number of their exclusives. I mean, in some cases you can kind of see why they price the figures the way they do [Ultimate Madoka, Saber with Motored Cuirasseiur, etc.] but for this one I really don't see it. She might look more impressive in-person but it's not pushing me to press that order button. It doesn't help that my pre-orders for this year are finished!

Given that I already own the original line of Mahou Shoujo figures [as well as Ultimate Madoka] I think I'm pretty content with passing on the Maiko Ver. BIJ/N-Y will likely have her, but for an even greater cost [it will easily be above 10,000 yen].

I'm worried to see how far the prices of figures continue to increase in 2014. It seems like they increase in-price as each month passes...

GSC has really increased the price of their 1/8 over the last several months, as well as the number of their exclusives. I mean, in some cases you can kind of see why they price the figures the way they do [Ultimate Madoka, Saber with Motored Cuirasseiur, etc.] but for this one I really don't see it. She might look more impressive in-person but it's not pushing me to press that order button. It doesn't help that my pre-orders for this year are finished!

Good job, Chrono. Deny those greedy motherfuckers.

Bombless

So I've unboxed Play Arts WW. She's gorgeous but there's chipped paint on her lower back and butt. Not visible if looking from the front but...what the hell?

Also had to take apart her torso because it was stuck in an anatomically impossible position, her pelvis piece was stuck under the torso and wouldn't move.

So I've unboxed Play Arts WW. She's gorgeous but there's chipped paint on her lower back and butt. Not visible if looking from the front but...what the hell?

Also had to take apart her torso because it was stuck in an anatomically impossible position, her pelvis piece was stuck under the torso and wouldn't move.
Any photos? I used to like Play-Arts but their qualities are really everywhere =/

Bombless

Mobile phone pic so quality is shit but the chip is on the right buttcheek on the inner side of the seam.
hHq1nxDl.jpg

Right Lower Back, just to the right of the golden belt, that's the bigger chip. There's also more chipped paint under the upper torso (from the friction i guess, that part can also slide over the lower back part)
fawHMPul.jpg

chrono01

Good job, Chrono. Deny those greedy motherfuckers.
Thanks, I am trying!

Strengthening my resolve to resist pre-orders is not easy, but for those that are ridiculously priced, it's not as difficult. I'm sure in the end that she will look great, but for the listing price [as well as exclusive and September release], it's an easy "no" for me.

Disclaimer: This is not one of those "no" situations that later change to a "yes". When I say "no" in-regards to this figure, I mean it. No going back on my word here! GSC, you will not tempt me!

Strengthening my resolve to resist pre-orders is not easy, but for those that are ridiculously priced, it's not as difficult. I'm sure in the end that she will look great, but for the listing price [as well as exclusive and September release], it's an easy "no" for me.

Yeah, some of the prices are getting insane. I can't believe Nippon-Yasan actually sold out of Megahouse Labrys at that price... WTF?

Jayhawk

Man, I'm really thinking about that P.O.P. Kalifa in December. But One Piece is a can of worms I DO NOT want to open.

It's not too late to open the can of worms like I recently did! Look how bad it can get below...

Current list of POP figures in boxes with my name and address on them, located somewhere in the world except my house:
NEO Series Monkey D Luffy
NEO Series Tashigi
NEO-DX Series Monkey D. Luffy
NEO-DX Series Boa Hancock
Sailing Again Monkey D. Luffy
Sailing Again Roronoa Zoro
Sailing Again Nami
Sailing Again Usopp
Sailing Again Sanji
Sailing Again Tony Tony Chopper
Sailing Again Nico Robin

chrono01

Yeah, some of the prices are getting insane. I can't believe Nippon-Yasan actually sold out of Megahouse Labrys at that price... WTF?
Wai...Wait...WHAT!? N-Y actually sold out of Megahouse Labrys pre-orders!? o_O

Either they didn't order many or people are so desperate for a Labrys figure that they don't mind paying that price [even with Alter releasing one of their own].

Granted, I'm sure she will be a fine figure [assuming that there's no quality-control issues like past Megahouse Persona figures], but that price really is too high. But if it sells it sells, who am I to question their decision?

As for me? I'm waiting for Alter. d(^_^)z

It's not too late to open the can of worms like I recently did! Look how bad it can get below...

Current list of POP figures in boxes with my name and address on them, located somewhere in the world except my house:
NEO Series Monkey D Luffy
NEO Series Tashigi
NEO-DX Series Monkey D. Luffy
NEO-DX Series Boa Hancock
Sailing Again Monkey D. Luffy
Sailing Again Roronoa Zoro
Sailing Again Nami
Sailing Again Usopp
Sailing Again Sanji
Sailing Again Tony Tony Chopper
Sailing Again Nico Robin
YES! Embrace One Piece, Freezasaurus! To be honest, they are great figures with varying poses and character designs. The series is pretty massive, though, so if you don't have a group of favorites already, it can be difficult to start.

My advice would be to start with the Straw Hat crew first. Then, from there, branch out to the "secondary" characters, such as the Shichibukai.

I really do enjoy the series, although after purchasing Franky and completing my Sailing Again crew, I'm hesitant to collect any more. It's just too expensive otherwise given what I already purchase on a month-to-month basis. That being said, I still own several more outside of the Straw Hat crew, such as Princess Shirahoshi [definitely one of my favorites], Gecko Moria, Perona, etc.

So yes, One Piece is incredible and will require bountiful amounts of treasure to collect them all. How fitting, given the nature of the series.

cajunator

Banned
My parents find it a waste of money, but respect that it's a hobby of mine.

My Dad HATES this hobby.

Cross post from the B/S/T thread, but just in case some of y'all are looking for Kirito or Meruru, they're going bye bye.

I can't believe I have two full DETOLF's and almost an entire book case full of figures now ;_;

Yeah this hobby is crazy. I realized I have 84 figures, most of which are full scale and not nendos or small figmas but full price and full scale >_ Then I have 8 more on order.

I really need some DETOLF's or something I am running out of places to put my figures some are just sitting in boxes.

I know what you mean. got like a dozen still in boxes and I have no idea where to put them that isnt full of dust or will get that way.

Jayhawk

Just added NEO Series Nami (the version with the pants and staff) to my list by winning an eBay auction for about $40 cheaper than what I would pay for at mandarake. Shipping should be cheaper too since the seller is in the US. The pictures and description of the auction made the figure seem legit and not a bootleg, but I'll wait and see.

But if it sells it sells, who am I to question their decision?

...A guy who saved $170?

The Alter version looks really good, and I'm sure their QC will be much better.

YES! Embrace One Piece, Freezasaurus! To be honest, they are great figures with varying poses and character designs. The series is pretty massive, though, so if you don't have a group of favorites already, it can be difficult to start.

My advice would be to start with the Straw Hat crew first. Then, from there, branch out to the "secondary" characters, such as the Shichibukai.

I like how I mention "a" One Piece figure, and you start suggesting which group of figures I should start with. ;)

Honestly, not happening. I would only catch up on One Piece if there wasn't so damn much of it. So the figures are pretty much out of the question. It's one thing to get in the ground floor, but I don't have it in me to plow through that much content. Regardless of whether I go with the anime or manga, there's just too much.

chrono01

...A guy who saved $170?

The Alter version looks really good, and I'm sure their QC will be much better.

I like how I mention "a" One Piece figure, and you start suggesting which group of figures I should start with. ;)

Honestly, not happening. I would only catch up on One Piece if there wasn't so damn much of it. So the figures are pretty much out of the question. It's one thing to get in the ground floor, but I don't have it in me to plow through that much content. Regardless of whether I go with the anime or manga, there's just too much.
True enough. I will be another saving the $170 [possibly more depending] and waiting for Alter's release. I definitely trust them more in terms of quality-control, although I do like the pose Megahouse chose. It's definitely not worth it, though.

As for One Piece, I completely understand what you're saying. It is a lot of content to go through. I'm still not sure how I went through all 500+ episodes leading up to the Time Skip. I watched it all, including fillers/movie-related episodes, etc. I didn't even skip the OP/ED [well, when One Piece had ED's]. I must have been insane, but I don't regret it. I thoroughly enjoy the series, as I've mentioned, but I can see why someone might not want to take the jump. It can be overwhelming and incredibly time-consuming.

As for One Piece, I completely understand what you're saying. It is a lot of content to go through. I'm still not sure how I went through all 500+ episodes leading up to the Time Skip. I watched it all, including fillers/movie-related episodes, etc. I didn't even skip the OP/ED [well, when One Piece had ED's]. I must have been insane, but I don't regret it. I thoroughly enjoy the series, as I've mentioned, but I can see why someone might not want to take the jump. It can be overwhelming and incredibly time-consuming.

If I do get into One Piece, It'll be a figure here and there, and I'll be picking a specific starting point, and I'll wiki the rest. Because fuck 67 manga volumes. I would start somewhere around volume 50 or so. Any particular suggestions around there?

Also, I've never pre-ordered from N-Y before... Do I have to pay in advance with them, or is it the same "pay later" method everyone else uses?

chrono01

If I do get into One Piece, It'll be a figure here and there, and I'll be picking a specific starting point, and I'll wiki the rest. Because fuck 67 manga volumes. I would start somewhere around volume 50 or so. Any particular suggestions around there?
I've only watched the anime so, assuming the manga is the same, I'd recommend...maybe the Arlong Park arc? That's not too far in, though...

If I had to choose a much later starting point, maybe the Water 7 Saga? It really is difficult to say where to start since major events tend to happen with each arc [such as meeting new companions, building up future rivalries/stories, as well as character building -_-].

Jayhawk

I don't recommend skipping non-filler arcs. You have plenty of time to catch up on One Piece. I remember reading that the creator of the manga is approximately halfway done with the story, so you have about another 10 years to catch up.

Aytrial

I don't recommend skipping non-filler arcs. You have plenty of time to catch up on One Piece. I remember reading that the creator of the manga is approximately halfway done with the story, so you have about another 10 years to catch up.

Dayum.

By the way, I updated my profile over at myfigurecollection.net. Haven't used the site in well over a year, so it was a pain in the ass adding all of my purchases. Feel free to add me over there if you have a profile as well.

Toki767

I only want her cause she looks really nice. I didn't really care for Muramasa as a game. Way too much backtracking. I feel like I should spend the money on a character I actually really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom