• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I'm getting a hardcore urge to crack open my Motoko -

this one:

388.jpg

- and toss her in one of my detolfs. I know she's worth quite a lot, but I don't think I'm ever going to sell her.

george_us

September seems like it's going to be expensive all around. I've got two figures, both Blu-Ray sets of Michiko & Hatchin, GTA V, and some assorted manga volumes and graphic novels.

It just seems like one of those months everyone decides to shit out all the good stuff to retail.
Right? This month I've bought the PS3 versions of Rayman: Legends and Diablo 3, Bishoujo Wonder Woman, and GTAV is coming out next month. I'm probably not buying anything in October since I'm buying a PS4. Thankfully October should be an easy month to avoid buying things since GTAV should completely take over my life.

Was lazy for a bit, but finally set up another shelf. Only 2 shelves left, not nearly enough room for how many figures I still have.

Since this one's right above my monitor it's the ones I'll be looking at the most, so I made sure to put my favorites here. Velvet & Momohime are my top 2 favorite figures of all time, and Samurai and Kongiku are up there too. Passed on displaying Mercedes because she's just not as good as the other 2, and i didn't want it to look too crowded.

God dam john that shelf consists of only spectacular figures. You have good taste

Huntress looked like the best to me.

Huntress definitely one of best in the koto bish line. But Wonder Woman is still the best one thus far imo

funny thing is that momohime got rerelease and is still 12-13k

I wonder if some of the recent re-release will go back up like dizzy.

Some figures, like Momo, will probably never get enough re-issues to satisfy everyone. Dizzy, I would imagine will probably get another re-release at some point with the new Guilty Gear game and whatnot.

LadyRiven

this one:

- and toss her in one of my detolfs. I know she's worth quite a lot, but I don't think I'm ever going to sell her.

Do it. If you love her, put her in that detolf! Besides, even opened, if you ever HAD to sell her, she'd still be worth a lot.

LadyRiven

Was lazy for a bit, but finally set up another shelf. Only 2 shelves left, not nearly enough room for how many figures I still have.

Since this one's right above my monitor it's the ones I'll be looking at the most, so I made sure to put my favorites here. Velvet & Momohime are my top 2 favorite figures of all time, and Samurai and Kongiku are up there too. Passed on displaying Mercedes because she's just not as good as the other 2, and i didn't want it to look too crowded.

My BF would say you have very good taste in figures. There's like 3 figures in the whole world that he wants, and 2 of them were Momohime and Velvet which he was thankfully able to get when they were re-released this past year!

sca2511

this one:

If I were in the same situation, I'd just open it and display. I'd think the beauty of the design/sculpt is wasted sitting in a box. Plus I think you'd still get a good amount of cash if opened anyway.

LadyRiven

Nooooo....... think of her resale value.

What's the point of buying figures just to re-sell them down the road? You might as well just open up an eBay shop if you're never going to open anything. .. and if you can afford a figure hobby long term, chances are pretty good you don't need the money unless it's an emergency.

I can see leaving action figures in their boxes, but for really nice PVC figures, if you love them, you should really take them out and display them. Most of them look like crap in their boxes because they've got so much blister packaging. It physically pains me to see people displaying expensive figures in the form of a wall of unopened boxes. Not to mention that some figures can actually become damaged from being left in the boxes too long. (I know at the very least, that this happens to Goodsmile company's figures in particular.)

Steering away from a collector's mentality of never opening and enjoying things because they will be worth more someday can be difficult, but at least for me, I try to buy things because I love them. (Then again, I know a lot of people who tend to buy things and then get sick of them really quickly and re-sell them. Personally, I just can't imagine being that fickle.)

What's the point of buying figures just to re-sell them down the road? You might as well just open up an eBay shop if you're never going to open anything. .. and if you can afford a figure hobby long term, chances are pretty good you don't need the money unless it's an emergency.

I can see leaving action figures in their boxes, but for really nice PVC figures, if you love them, you should really take them out and display them. Most of them look like crap in their boxes because they've got so much blister packaging. It physically pains me to see people displaying expensive figures in the form of a wall of unopened boxes. Not to mention that some figures can actually become damaged from being left in the boxes too long. (I know at the very least, that this happens to Goodsmile company's figures in particular.)

Steering away from a collector's mentality of never opening and enjoying things because they will be worth more someday can be difficult, but at least for me, I try to buy things because I love them. (Then again, I know a lot of people who tend to buy things and then get sick of them really quickly and re-sell them. Personally, I just can't imagine being that fickle.)

I think Christina was just joking, but I feel the same way. I broke the seals on my figures so fast when I finally had somewhere to display them. If I don't care enough to open something when it comes time, then I'll sell it right then and use the money on something I do want to display(a rare occurrence that's only happened twice with Hot Toys stuff). I do have some unopened figures still but they're spares of ones I have displayed, some of which are worth a lot(GSC Shinobu and Max Factory Samurai). I'll probably sell those soon since their value seems to have peaked and I can't be bothered to keep space for spares any longer.

Speaking of Kusanagi, she's the only figure I don't have behind glass because she stands on my desk:

Alter's manufacturing quality has improved since, but I still like the figure and wouldn't sell.

gokieks

So I received my Mitsuru Kirijo from AmiAmi, and... it's missing her right arm. The box was sealed, so looks like it was a mistake on the manufacturer's end.

Has anyone had experiences with major manufacturer defects on products bought from AmiAmi? How did AmiAmi handle it?

Giolon

So I received my Mitsuru Kirijo from AmiAmi, and... it's missing her right arm. The box was sealed, so looks like it was a mistake on the manufacturer's end.

Has anyone had experiences with major manufacturer defects on products bought from AmiAmi? How did AmiAmi handle it?

I was sent a defective Play Arts Kai Lghtning from FFXIII-2 by AmiAmi. She was not properly assembled from the factory and he rotor so was disconnected from her legs. Something had happened such that the socket for the ball joint was partially filled with plastic and the ball had been crushed and jammed up and bent.

I just e-mailed photos to AmiAmi and though they were enable to give me a replacement because they were out of stock by that point, they gave me a refund. IIRC, their return policy states you have to e-mail them within like 14 days of getting your order or something similarly short.

gokieks

I was sent a defective Play Arts Kai Lghtning from FFXIII-2 by AmiAmi. She was not properly assembled from the factory and he rotor so was disconnected from her legs. Something had happened such that the socket for the ball joint was partially filled with plastic and the ball had been crushed and jammed up and bent.

I just e-mailed photos to AmiAmi and though they were enable to give me a replacement because they were out of stock by that point, they gave me a refund. IIRC, their return policy states you have to e-mail them within like 14 days of getting your order or something similarly short.

I've sent them a message through the website already, so that part shouldn't be an issue. And it sounds like they're pretty good about it and I probably won't have to spend $20 shipping this back to Japan to get it sorted out, so that's good.

How long has Mikasa been sold out? I should have known to order it when it came out. I expect it to have another batch though. There's no way they won't capitalize on the series popularity. Now the waiting game begins(because I'll be damned if I spend double the amount on ebay).

How long has Mikasa been sold out? I should have known to order it when it came out. I expect it to have another batch though. There's no way they won't capitalize on the series popularity. Now the waiting game begins(because I'll be damned if I spend double the amount on ebay).

I noticed it said Sold Out on amiami on Friday.

It also says limit 1 per household, I didn't notice that before. I ordered 2, 1 for me and 1 for a friend, do they enforce the limit?

sca2511

haha, I know someone like that. He doesn't plan to sell them and doesn't want to touch them. It's his money and he can do what he wants, but damn it feels like a waste. Good post.

Wow, this shit has turned into a heated debate in my absence. To answer the question, I'm going to crack her open. Just not this second, as I'm on my way out the door. But justice will be done. Motoko be praised!

Giolon

I've sent them a message through the website already, so that part shouldn't be an issue. And it sounds like they're pretty good about it and I probably won't have to spend $20 shipping this back to Japan to get it sorted out, so that's good.

I forgot to mention, they didn't make me send back the defective figure either which was nice, considering the cost of doing so.

LiK

Wow, this shit has turned into a heated debate in my absence. To answer the question, I'm going to crack her open. Just not this second, as I'm on my way out the door. But justice will be done. Motoko be praised!

Do whatever you want man. Give it to me and I'll take care of it!

FUUUUUUUUU. I got a Figinstock alert for the Black Hanekawa reissue this morning, but I was asleep. I neeeeeeeed it. I hope I'll actually be able to snag one after pre-orders are filled. :(

I saw a BIshoujo Power Girl at a local comic shop, I'm not into DC that much or even Bishoujo figures to be honest, but I think I might buy it just so I can sell it later.

Jayhawk

Anybody have experience buying a used figure from another user from MyFigureCollection? I need some guidance on how to make sure I am not getting ripped off here.

LiK

Anybody have experience buying a used figure from another user from MyFigureCollection? I need some guidance on how to make sure I am not getting ripped off here.

I guess check their feedback ratings. Never bought from them but it's basically an honor system like GAF buy/sell/trade.

Be careful and I would recommend search for videos or pictures of the figure you want to buy. I had someone attemp to sell me GSC Saber Lilly however he took screen shots from a YouTube video claiming he owed her.

Giolon

I've sold on there and figure.fm several times, and purchased from figure.fm once. I've done both mail-based transactions and in person sales. For mail-based, always pay via Paypal and select GOODS/SERVICES - do not pick GIFT. If you do this, you will have some measure of Paypal arbitration and buyer's protection - and usually Paypal tends to put the burden of proof on the seller to prove they provided the product as described in my experience.

There is a thread on the MFC boards about known scammers - so check through that first. And a list of users banned from creating ads: here

Jayhawk

Thanks for the MFC tiips. It's for an Emma Frost bishoujo. I skipped on buying it when she first came out years ago. Emma Frost and Phoenix are probably the only two Marvel bishoujos I want, and I don't want to pay the overpriced ones on sale at Amazon and such. If I am going to pay $200 for an Emma Frost figure, it might as well be for a statue like this one:

Thanks for the MFC tiips. It's for an Emma Frost bishoujo. I skipped on buying it when she first came out years ago. Emma Frost and Phoenix are probably the only two Marvel bishoujos I want, and I don't want to pay the overpriced ones on sale at Amazon and such. If I am going to pay $200 for an Emma Frost figure, it might as well be for a statue like this one:

her white lips look so strange to me, its like she just finished eating a powdered donut

Jayhawk

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the lips either. Not much choice out there in terms of Emma Frost figures and statues that show her off as the sex bom-omb she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom