• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT| Where has all of my money gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of excited for the upcoming Spider-Man statue by J Scott Campbell. Would be the last pre-order to complete the trio and also finally obtain a statue for my favorite hero.

As for limits, I'd be open to owning a nude figure if it was tasteful/amazing art. Would likely have to discuss it with my girlfriend though, haha. I do have a castoff, the Sigrid of the Thorn. I like the design with the clothes on since it's a bit tacky in the nude.
The MJ and Gwen ones look great. Too muxh money for me I think though...

LiK

The MJ and Gwen ones look great. Too muxh money for me I think though...

Yea, kinda thinking of canceling my MJ preorder, tbh. I think they're way overpriced. The designs are gorgeous but who knows if the final mass produced version will look just as good. Will keep it upon closer to it's release and decide then. But I may just cancel it soon.

this reminds me.

What are the limits you guys put in terms of sexual/ecchi figures. Like is castoff a nogo even if you don't display it? Native offlimits?

I'm curious.
Cold shirts like noels i say no to regardless of source material. Tacky "inviting" sexualized poses I say no to. Anything that doesn't have the minimum of shorts/skirt I say no too unless it's a one piece suit/dress like psylocke or zs samus.

In the end I'm open to owning something with barely anything on if its extremely tasteful and if the artwork is amazing. Queen of the dead is an example of that.

Yea, kinda thinking of canceling my MJ preorder, tbh. I think they're way overpriced. The designs are gorgeous but who knows if the final mass produced version will look just as good. Will keep it upon closer to it's release and decide then. But I may just cancel it soon.
Good idea. It has no nrd. I would wait till it ships. See how it looks like in hand and then order it if it came out like how you want. Theres no way they will go through that es before it ships

Just picked up these two beauties this morning. :)

CIN1294577732.jpeg
barsianin1275464659.jpeg

Come on amiami, cleave Belldandy and ship the rest of my order that's in stock.

Is Sideshow quality not reliable then? I don't own anything by them yet, but have MJ on order.

LiK

Come on amiami, cleave Belldandy and ship the rest of my order that's in stock.

Is Sideshow quality not reliable then? I don't own anything by them yet, but have MJ on order.

Hit or miss. When it comes to realistic or gritty, they're fine but cartoony figures like this then it depends. Sculpts are usually fine but if you're nitpicky then sometimes the paint can be a bother.

RocBase

I'm kind of excited for the upcoming Spider-Man statue by J Scott Campbell. Would be the last pre-order to complete the trio and also finally obtain a statue for my favorite hero.

As for limits, I'd be open to owning a nude figure if it was tasteful/amazing art. Would likely have to discuss it with my girlfriend though, haha. I do have a castoff, the Sigrid of the Thorn. I like the design with the clothes on since it's a bit tacky in the nude.
Yeah I'm pretty excited too. They're super pricey but there's no way I'm going to pass up on these, they're some of the most beautiful figures I've seen.

I love American figures but the really good ones tend to be so expensive? I wish I could fuse the size and price from the JP figures with the craftsmanship/style of the American ones. I'd have a lot more of them I reckon.

bayo 2 release believe
i-i want to but my believe quota is full

EDIT:
Hit or miss. When it comes to realistic or gritty, they're fine but cartoony figures like this then it depends.
Eh...well that's a little worrying.

LiK

EDIT:

Eh...well that's a little worrying.

I edited my post. The sculpts are usually fine but the paint can be an issue if you're nitpicky about minor slop or the way they apply them. This is mainly from my experience of owning a couple of the Comiquettes and other statues they've made. The 1/4 Mystique Comiquette I got is perfect tho.

Considering the price, I'm hoping the MJ is gonna be high quality.

RocBase

^Yeah that's still an insane price SE can go get bent with that tomfoolery. Such great characters and designs wasted on overpriced Playarts, truly frustrating. We'll never get lovely FF figures.

I edited my post. The sculpts are usually fine but the paint can be an issue if you're nitpicky about minor slop or the way they apply them. This is mainly from my experience of owning a couple of the Comiquettes and other statues they've made. The 1/4 Mystique Comiquette I got is perfect tho.

Considering the price, I'm hoping the MJ is gonna be high quality.
Ah, I see, thanks for clearing that up.

SUPARSTARX

If their paint jobs were better.

Even the most recent things that came out have these issues still. Not confident dropping $100 on stuff like this unless I know it's quality.

Aytrial

If their paint jobs were better.

Even the most recent things that came out have these issues still. Not confident dropping $100 on stuff like this unless I know it's quality.

That's why I haven't picked up any Play Arts figures yet. Their sculpts are acceptable and I can even overlook the weird knee-joint, but the paint job on a lot of them looks horrendous.

cajunator

Banned
I wouldn't even really buy a bikini figure unless that was someone's default look.

Me neither. I buy pretty much the figures as they look in the show with a fewexceptions. I bought a Charles Dunois bunnygirl because its adorable and a dog girl version of Aoba Tsugumi because of the same reason.

Hit or miss. When it comes to realistic or gritty, they're fine but cartoony figures like this then it depends. Sculpts are usually fine but if you're nitpicky then sometimes the paint can be a bother.

Hmm, I guess I should start crossing my fingers now then. Messy paint would bother me on such an expensive piece, but I'll roll the dice this time since it will probably be a one off order from Sideshow.

Me neither. I buy pretty much the figures as they look in the show with a fewexceptions. I bought a Charles Dunois bunnygirl because its adorable and a dog girl version of Aoba Tsugumi because of the same reason.

I have the Tiger costume version of Aisaka Taiga for the same reason.

Bombless

Which one? The standard or the catsuit version? I like them both, but I almost pulled the trigger on the currently available school uniform version. But then I saw some pics of her on MFC. There are some pretty nasty seams on that figure. They're under the clothes, so you won't see them unless you display her nekkid, but still. For a $90-ish figure, that's unacceptable.

Catsuit version is appealing, but the price is a bit steep.

The catsuit version. I found the school uniform version a bit too plain and that base is friggin HUGE. Would make it good for a back position since she has her own riser already lol.

gokieks

this reminds me.

What are the limits you guys put in terms of sexual/ecchi figures. Like is castoff a nogo even if you don't display it? Native offlimits?

I'm curious.

Outright nudity is pretty much an automatic out. I also dislike cast-offs tremendously, though it is not outside the realm of possibility for one in its attired incarnation to be good enough that I do end up buying it. Beyond that it's just an eye test rather than hard and fast rules - though I dare say I probably am much more disinclined towards sexually suggestive figures than most.

Just picked up these two beauties this morning. :)

I gotta say, though I have that Alicia figure, I really don't care for it. Mostly because it's based on the anime character design rather than the (vastly superior) game character design.

I gotta say, though I have that Alicia figure, I really don't care for it. Mostly because it's based on the anime character design rather than the (vastly superior) game character design.

Yeah, It's certainly not the greatest. I think it's the best of what is available though, aside from the super expensive Volks garage kit. It seems like the figures modeled around her in-game appearance are trading figures, garage kits, or poorly posed. :(

For me anyways, i cant justify spending over a hundred on a figure. Its just too much to me...

The catsuit version. I found the school uniform version a bit too plain and that base is friggin HUGE. Would make it good for a back position since she has her own riser already lol.

Catsuit version is nice, but it's a bit pricey, considering I've only read a few chapters of the manga, and I'm not really that into it.

The Noel figure is apparently a 1/7 scale figure now. Seems like it'll be 8800 yen.

Even 1/7 scale, it's Noel. She'll be tiny.

Pass for me.

Momohime is up to 13000 yen on Mandarake.

Jeez, that's more than I paid for her a few months back. I wonder if she'll get yet another reissue at some point.

Toki767

Even 1/7 scale, it's Noel. She'll be tiny.

Pass for me.

Jeez, that's more than I paid for her a few months back. I wonder if she'll get yet another reissue at some point.

Height of the figure seems to be about 9.36 inches. I don't think I have a single figure over 9 inches since I always buy 1/8 scale.

I hope they do a reissue of Momohime, but I don't think they will unless Muramasa gets some other port.

Bombless

Catsuit version is nice, but it's a bit pricey, considering I've only read a few chapters of the manga, and I'm not really that into it.

I think I will try to wait for it to go on sale. Either that or preorder it at a much later date.

As for Yuzuruha....I...I don't think I can keep on believing...

sca2511

For me anyways, i cant justify spending over a hundred on a figure. Its just too much to me...
I usually have to really think about it before spending that much on a figure, but with what looks to be a great MJ, Gwen, and Spidey, I feel like I can't pass the opportunity to pick them up.

chrono01

I'm happy that I don't have any interest in the superhero-themed line of figures. They do look great, but I just don't feel the need to have them in my collection. It definitely saves my wallet a bit of unnecessary stress.

I might pick up a premium format or two after I move house. Those things are like 19" tall at a minimum and I don't want figures all over my house, so the room they're in will have to get bigger instead.

I'm happy that I don't have any interest in the superhero-themed line of figures. They do look great, but I just don't feel the need to have them in my collection. It definitely saves my wallet a bit of unnecessary stress.

61K JPY before delays :p

Including pre-owned I've spent more this month ;_;

Sideshow puts out some amazing products but they can have horrible delays and as others have stated they can be hit or miss. When I'm paying such a high price I'm expecting amazing quality control. The biggest problem they tend to have is painting eyes straight. At the large scales their statues come in, it's much easier to notice paint flaws as well which is why they tend to get a lot of flak.

The biggest concern I would have about MJ would be her freckles being painted sloppily or not. Which is why I think it's a good idea to wait for the final product to ship. The edition size(number made) is extremely high and there is no exclusive or deposit so it won't sell out and you can see pics before you buy it.

Giolon

this reminds me.

I'm curious.

(Adapted from a previous post on the question of questionable figures.)

Basically, I don't buy figures that can't be displayed covered up or in an SFW fashion, have proportions so exaggerated that there's not even any question of taste anymore, or gratuitous lewdness like figures with their legs spread wide open.

There have been two times where I had to push my line. Asmodeus is one of them. That face, that epic wing-like cape, those zigzag patterns, the humungous horns - I couldn't pass her up. But there's no denying the fact that her ballon-like boobs are the size of her head, maybe larger. My mom absolutely hates this figure, but fortunately I'm an adult and don't have to care. XD

The other figure is Alter's Selvaria Bles Swimsuit Ver. I have a general rule against swimsuit figures in the first place. They're generally so boring, just a girl standing there in a swimsuit so she's as naked as possible w/o being actually nude. Then Selvaria's got exaggerated proportions in the first place, and they choose a comically small bikini and she's all nipple pokey? *sigh* But, I bought her anyways, because Valkyria Chronilces is one of my favorite games of all time and Selvaria's one of my favorite characters. I even bought the limited edition white version while I was in Japan.

Next up testing my values? Mammon. Out of the original 7-Sins artwork, she my favorite over even Asmodeus. But since they seem to be pumping up the boobs of every figure in this series, they had to pump up Mammon's even MORE so that she'd remain bigger than everyone else. And then they gave her that tasky bending over pose, w/ the miniature underwear and just...it's all too much. BUT - drill hair, my favorite type of hair, and a great set of horns...I still don't think I'll be able to pull the trigger on this one. Which makes me sad.

chrono01

61K JPY before delays :p

Including pre-owned I've spent more this month ;_;
Haha, nice!

I was sitting at around 61,000 yen too, but thankfully Belldandy with Holy Bell and Dark Elf were delayed [sorry to those anxiously awaiting them]. As much as I'd like them now, it definitely is appreciated since that decreases this month's order by around 24,000 yen, not including the increase in shipping cost it would have been.

However, now I have October to worry about. Delay's are never easy!

Also, the price of Noel [Vertex] has been confirmed. 8,800 yen before store discount. She's also 1/7 scale now and scheduled for December [wow, who else saw that coming?] ;_;

I really like her, and the skin-tight top/nipples don't bother me a whole lot [although I'd prefer it to be closer to the original artwork] but her legs! Seeing her from the side made it even more apparent. Human legs are not supposed to bend that way. I could always pose her from the front and pretend that her leg isn't being transformed into a ball of jelly. -_-

Dthomp

this reminds me.

I'm curious.

Personally I only have a few figures, I tend to stick mostly to the sexual/lewd? figures. Most of the time my wife is ok with the figures I pick out. My collection is very small but got a few Queens Blade figures I really liked the look of. I do keep all of the clothes on the figures though.

I did just pre-order this one since I missed out on the original version of it and my wife really liked the look of it. Maybe too pricey but the original is way out of my ballpark.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-002299&page=top

Bombless

Personally I only have a few figures, I tend to stick mostly to the sexual/lewd? figures. Most of the time my wife is ok with the figures I pick out. My collection is very small but got a few Queens Blade figures I really liked the look of. I do keep all of the clothes on the figures though.

I did just pre-order this one since I missed out on the original version of it and my wife really liked the look of it. Maybe too pricey but the original is way out of my ballpark.

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-002299&page=top

Isn't that the figure that was shown having massive QC issues a few pages ago? The castoffs were completely misaligned/broken if I remember well.

Dthomp

Isn't that the figure that was shown having massive QC issues a few pages ago? The castoffs were completely misaligned/broken if I remember well.

I guess I missed all of that :/ I'll take the chances on this being a newer hopefully better version from the original. I love the look and really want it.

Giolon

I guess I missed all of that :/ I'll take the chances on this being a newer hopefully better version from the original. I love the look and really want it.

It looks like the figure is probably getting a release because the VN it's based on has an anime series adaptation starting in the fall season a few weeks from now.

It looks like the figure is probably getting a release because the VN it's based on has an anime series adaptation starting in the fall season a few weeks from now.

I would have loved the figure if they put some more clothes on her. The regular outfits the characters wear seem very reminiscent to me of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

NOOOOOO! AmiAmi took down the item page for the Black Hanekawa reissue from Alter. Guess I won't be getting it from them. :(

Hoping I'll still be able to score one.

Nice. She's a little small, but other than that she's perfect.

Eh, she's not that small. The base gives her a bit of extra height anyway.

Edit: Yes!!! I just got my Alter Black Hanekawa reissue order in at Hobbysearch. It wasn't even fucking Figinstock.... I just signed up at HS to be notified by email, and shockingly, I just got the email while I was still awake. Only downside is that I was forced into EMS-rape shipping, but I'll deal.

Insane BRS should be in today, right? Need to see the shipping price and how much left over stock there is. If it doesn't look like it'll go bargain I'll try and get one.

Haha, nice!

I was sitting at around 61,000 yen too, but thankfully Belldandy with Holy Bell and Dark Elf were delayed [sorry to those anxiously awaiting them]. As much as I'd like them now, it definitely is appreciated since that decreases this month's order by around 24,000 yen, not including the increase in shipping cost it would have been.

However, now I have October to worry about. Delay's are never easy!

Also, the price of Noel [Vertex] has been confirmed. 8,800 yen before store discount. She's also 1/7 scale now and scheduled for December [wow, who else saw that coming?] ;_;

I really like her, and the skin-tight top/nipples don't bother me a whole lot [although I'd prefer it to be closer to the original artwork] but her legs! Seeing her from the side made it even more apparent. Human legs are not supposed to bend that way. I could always pose her from the front and pretend that her leg isn't being transformed into a ball of jelly. -_-

It was you I meant! Saw your post on Belldandy's MFC page :p

I hear you about Noel. I was looking forward to that and then Mitsuru was disappointing, her leg looks unnatural and they deviated from the artwork. Despite all that it still looks quite good. It should be an easy pass given the issues, but fighting games don't get much love in this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom