• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The Nendo march continues
U1ZTSqV.jpg

Danj

One of these days, I should get a proper display case so I can actually take the figurines I own out of their boxes and put them on display.

I have a bookcase, but a) it is full of manga and b) I'd be worried about accidentally knocking stuff off the shelves. Currently my figurines are in their boxes on top of the bookcase.

One of these days, I should get a proper display case so I can actually take the figurines I own out of their boxes and put them on display.

I have a bookcase, but a) it is full of manga and b) I'd be worried about accidentally knocking stuff off the shelves. Currently my figurines are in their boxes on top of the bookcase.

get museum putty

javac

I would just make a stand tbh

I may do that. I put her in her box for now. She's probably not that big to you guys since a lot of you buy a lot of high quality scaled figures, but to me she's massive and heavy! I feel like I could kill someone with her
either buy hitting them on the head or suffocating them with her boobs.

javac

She's big to me!

I have three scales and...18 Nendos? 19?

I only have two Nendoroids, Yoko and Panty. I was going to get Link but I'm going to cancel him. Getting Ryuko and Satsuki however. Nendoroids are pretty cool, but kinda expensive compared to Figma's etc. You can't compare the two but I guess I like Figma's more. I like smaller figures overall since big ones don't fit on my desk. I have a few scaled figures but most of them are crouched over or in some pose where as Morrigan is standing so she's a lot bigger.

Giolon

I only have two Nendoroids, Yoko and Panty. I was going to get Link but I'm going to cancel him. Getting Ryuko and Satsuki however. Nendoroids are pretty cool, but kinda expensive compared to Figma's etc. You can't compare the two but I guess I like Figma's more. I like smaller figures overall since big ones don't fit on my desk. I have a few scaled figures but most of them are crouched over or in some pose where as Morrigan is standing so she's a lot bigger.

I've seen this figure in person at shops in Mandarake. She is pretty large as figures go. She's a true 1/6.

Also, 8k even w/ a missing stand is a steal.

No Mako Nendo? For shame Javac.

javac

I've seen this figure in person at shops in Mandarake. She is pretty large as figures go. She's a true 1/6.

Also, 8k even w/ a missing stand is a steal.

Yeah I think the price is good, but even with it in front of me I don't know if it was worth it. I may shop around and see what I can do with her or how much I can sell her for but I guess she's going into the drawer for now. One guy on MFC payed 60k including delivery for one...lol poor soul rip wallet.

No Mako Nendo? For shame Javac.

I don't like the way it looks :$ Plus it's sold out on NY and I know everyone hates that store...but what's a man supposed to do when we have to pay 20% on top plus £8 (13usd) on top with other stores?!

Yeah I think the price is good, but even with it in front of me I don't know if it was worth it. I may shop around and see what I can do with her or how much I can sell her for but I guess she's going into the drawer for now. One guy on MFC payed 60k including delivery for one...lol poor soul rip wallet.

I don't like the way it looks :$ Plus it's sold out on NY and I know everyone hates that store...but what's a man supposed to do when we have to pay 20% on top plus £8 (13usd) on top with other stores?!

wait for release then mandarake. They write lower values as well.

You back on the moderate spending train than Javac? Gonna get that Studio Ghibli Bluray collection? And your spreadsheet which had 2 Gurren Lagann Bluray preorders, stand by preorders?

Man I should check out Mandrake, but I'm sated in what figures I have purchased so I'm okay XD

javac

You back on the moderate spending train than Javac? Gonna get that Studio Ghibli Bluray collection? And your spreadsheet which had 2 Gurren Lagann Bluray preorders, stand by preorders?

Ha well a lot of this stuff that I've got like Morrigan for example I actually bought like a few months ago but sent it super slow delivery and they just got here today lmfao! Not getting the Miyazaki collection, can't afford that. I still have a lot of my pre-orders, just because it's hard to let them go
because I'm fucked in the head I guess
so I'm selling shit in order to buy them really . Think of it as swaps. Probably going to cancel most/all of them when the releases near. Sold Yoko and Nia, my Vita, 360, bunch of games etc. Haven't bought anything in a while, it's just old stuff turning up, with most of it going straight out as soon as I sell them. I don't know man...I don't know what's going on. I hate it when the postman knocks on the door...like I said, I don't know what's going on. I'm so fucking depressed and I don't know what's going on anymore. Blegh.

Ha well a lot of this stuff that I've got like Morrigan for example I actually bought like a few months ago but sent it super slow delivery and they just got here today lmfao! Not getting the Miyazaki collection, can't afford that. I still have a lot of my pre-orders, just because it's hard to let them go
so I'm selling shit in order to buy them really . Think of it as swaps. Probably going to cancel most/all of them when the releases near. Sold Yoko and Nia, my Vita, 360, bunch of games etc. Haven't bought anything in a while, it's just old stuff turning up, with most of it going straight out as soon as I sell them. I don't know man...I don't know what's going on. I hate it when the postman knocks on the door...like I said, I don't know what's going on. I'm so fucking depressed and I don't know what's going on anymore. Blegh.

wait how much did you sell yoko for?

and i hope things get better for you

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
"Used Toys" ;D

I think it's just AmiAmi that does that? :)

I don't know what's going on, but I do hope things perk up for you in general. If you need a place to vent, and you don't have one, just vent here. Sounds like you're going through a rough patch and sometimes it's helpful just to write it out.

javac

wait how much did you sell yoko for?
Sold her for around $230 or something.

and i hope things get better for you

You shouldn't. I don't want people to care for me. I don't know why, maybe I like being in a fucked up situation, like I deserve it and it's not a big deal. No ones ever cared for me so it's always been that way I guess. I've never liked it when people are nice to me, which sucks I guess. Thanks tho, but something tells me I thrive off this shit.

I think it's just AmiAmi that does that? :)
Apparently so XD, now that I know other preowned figure sellers don't write it as that I'm not sure why Amiami does it XD

And hope things perk up for you Javac, not too sure how I can help but we're here to hear you out, like GuardianE said. Should also try to book an appointment with the GP and tell him how you've been he/she may give you something or advices etc.

I'm just getting into figure collecting myself, looking to get the Sailor Mercury figure coming out on Sept. 28th. Amazon deems decent at $90, what do you guys think?

Also interested in getting a figure of Kenneth from Valkyrie Profile.

Sold her for around $230 or something.

You shouldn't. I don't want people to care for me. I don't know why, maybe I like being in a fucked up situation, like I deserve it and it's not a big deal. No ones ever cared for me so it's always been that way I guess. I've never liked it when people are nice to me, which sucks I guess. Thanks tho, but something tells me I thrive off this shit.

Have you been talking to anyone professionally? I think you might want to look into it man.

omlet

I'm just getting into figure collecting myself, looking to get the Sailor Mercury figure coming out on Sept. 28th. Amazon deems decent at $90, what do you guys think?

http://myfigurecollection.net/item/187918 this one? That's about list price so not bad if you're looking to lock in. Comments on MFC may interest you; some talk about potential price drop after release.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I mean, it's not pity. I reserve pity for people that really deserve it. It just sounds like you need to clear your head and talk it out with people. It sounds like you want to push people away because it's the easy thing to do, but that doesn't help anybody.

But I won't prod ya. Just take it easy and know you've got a place to talk if you need it.

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks. Do figures usually drop price after their release?

pends on company and popularity of the item.

some figures get overloaded in production and drop in price.

Others get high demand but high shipping drops that demand once they see the shipping bill and the figure tanks in price (ultimate madoka MSRP was like 15k, I got her for 4k, but she has gotten back up to 10-12k now)

There are a lot of things that come to play whether a figure gets cheaper or not. Biggest factor is company and popularity

Einbroch

Banned

Our cult. She grows. I'll get this train going.

Don't_forget_you're_here_forever.jpg

Yaari

Mmh. This delivery schedule for the package with Ultimate Madoka can't be right. It's already in my country, and it says it still needs 7 more days to reach me? Seems a bit ridiculous. I was hoping it would show up tomorrow.

I don't want to start collecting the entire K-on! band. But they look so cool together. Stop me.

Einbroch

Banned
Mmh. This delivery schedule for the package with Ultimate Madoka can't be right. It's already in my country, and it says it still needs 7 more days to reach me? Seems a bit ridiculous. I was hoping it would show up tomorrow.

I don't want to start collecting the entire K-on! band. But they look so cool together. Stop me.

193zs.jpg

hooray-Im-helping-zoidberg.jpeg

i would preorder all male Dragon's Crown figures right away. they should make some. it's kinda weird companies are afraid of releasing the male Vanillaware cast...

omlet

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks. Do figures usually drop price after their release?

The short version of the truth is:
Many do.
Some don't.

I don't think there's an exact science to it, but for the long version the major factors are:

Availability
  • How many copies of the figure are made. Many exclusives go up in price later.
  • What outlets the figure is available through. Things that are hard to get via "usual channels" like amazon or amiami or direct from creators (koto store, GSC store, etc.) can be expensive later. Some figures get production runs that overshoot anticipated demand and prices on these will drop.
  • List pricing. Especially these days, 10k+ figures can see drops after release, but not all. Sadly, we have been conditioned in the past few years to see 10k+ pricing as the norm for a lot of scales. Still, high list prices like these will scare away the less dedicated from preordering which can then mean the price drops after release or it means they don't make many because of not a lot of preorders and then the price stays high. Isn't this fun?
  • Uniqueness. By this I mean less the "look" and more like if no one else is making figures of that character then it's probably less likely to see a price drop than when there is competition on the market for the same character.
Popularity (of character especially but also of maker/look) and Quality
  • The character the figure represents. Popular stuff sells more. Some really nice figures will hit really low prices because people aren't actively looking for figures of those characters. Some popular stuff will sell out and be expensive post-release even if it got a large production run.
  • Who is making the figure. Some makers have better QC and standards than others.
  • Scale (if a scaled figure).
  • Eye-catching qualities like colors, paint, pose (these might convince someone not familiar with the character to buy it anyway). More "elaborate" figures often hold their value.

So... yeah. Some people say you can get a good feel for how things will go post-release for figures after being into the hobby for a few months but I have not really figured it out yet myself beyond being able to identify some of the main factors.

Our cult. She grows. I'll get this train going.

Don't_forget_you're_here_forever.jpg
Ha, thanks. Honestly, this started with the Samus and Link figmas, and has just spiraled from there. There are so many beautiful figures, I can easily see myself going broke at this.

And for the real question, do you open the statue and display or keep it new in box?

omlet

Ha, thanks. Honestly, this started with the Samus and Link figmas, and has just spiraled from there. There are so many beautiful figures, I can easily see myself going broke at this.

And for the real question, do you open the statue and display or keep it new in box?

To me, the point of buying these is to enjoy looking at them (or for playing with them in the case of figma/nendo). I'm not buying figures to invest my money for retirement so I display all of mine out of their boxes, but in glass cases to keep them safe and clean. I also keep all the boxes. Different strokes for different folks and all; some people like that "mint in box" collector status but to me that's no fun when it comes to something like scale figures that are meant to be displayed as works of art.

Einbroch

Banned

Open, but keep the box. I enjoy my figures, I'll pick some up off the shelves every few days and just enjoy looking at them, turning them in my hand and I usually end up finding something new that I didn't find before. Get your mind out of the gutter, peeps. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom