• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure GAF |OT2| NSFWallet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

So I just ordered two complete sets of the Nintendo Amiibo line today (one to use and one to display) at $17 AUD a pop.

Total came to $612 AUD.

jMMvM93.gif

RMI

Banned
So I just ordered two complete sets of the Nintendo Amiibo line today (one to use and one to display) at $17 AUD a pop.

Total came to $612 AUD.

holy shit dude. That's..... holy shit. I don't understand prices for things in countries outside the US. Are wages much higher or something everywhere else, or are we just lucky as fuck here?

StayDead

I just had a very scary experience. People are coming tomorrow to view the house so I thought what a better time to dust off my figures and shelves. I don't want them ogling at my figures but atleast it should be dust free. Well my VN02 Miku (pictured below)

was my final figure to dust and I put her on my desk. As I leant back from cleaning the shelf off I knocked her off my desk and she popped off her base. I was so sure I'd screwed up one of my figures as she popped out and apart on the floor, but I got incredibly lucky. She came off the base with no damage what so ever and since I was worried about getting her off her base for when I move I just put her back in her box for now.

I was so scared I'd broken her.

CErRJ6E.gif

Giolon

I just had a very scary experience. People are coming tomorrow to view the house so I thought what a better time to dust off my figures and shelves. I don't want them ogling at my figures but atleast it should be dust free. Well my VN02 Miku (pictured below)

was my final figure to dust and I put her on my desk. As I leant back from cleaning the shelf off I knocked her off my desk and she popped off her base. I was so sure I'd screwed up one of my figures as she popped out and apart on the floor, but I got incredibly lucky. She came off the base with no damage what so ever and since I was worried about getting her off her base for when I move I just put her back in her box for now.

I was so scared I'd broken her.

CErRJ6E.gif

I did actually break mine when I was packing up to move. I bumped into my Detolf and she came tumbling down off the top and snapped one of her hair tails off. :( I had to buy a new (used) one.

BTW, for those looking for POP Rebecca, I've gotten 3 or 4 alerts this week from figinstock. So if you really want her, set those alerts up.

Total came to $612 AUD.

jMMvM93.gif

It's okay, at least you'll be able to construct a small dwelling from the Amiibo packaging should things turn sour ;)

I had the whole range preordered on Amazon when they were first announced, but I gradually pared it back to a handful, and then finally none. They are cute, but space is really getting to be an issue so I'm trying to prioritise for future orders. Heck, I have a Heavy Armament Yamato to put... somewhere? At least I have until next April to work that one out!

meijiko

RIP Metallica. The whole thing just randomly fell off the shelf. Both her legs (what support her) are broken. Her hat got scuffed from what looked like every color of paint on her body. The black thing she's standing on separated from her base.

I really don't know what happened. I was sitting on the couch and she just fell right in front of me. Nothing shook the shelf. Best I can tell, the hat fell off on its own, and managed to knock the whole thing over off of the 6ft shelf.

Sigh. Guess I'll try to repair her, but it worries me that so many supports will be relying on superglue.

Giolon

RIP Metallica. The whole thing just randomly fell off the shelf. Both her legs (what support her) are broken. Her hat got scuffed from what looked like every color of paint on her body. The black thing she's standing on separated from her base.

I really don't know what happened. I was sitting on the couch and she just fell right in front of me. Nothing shook the shelf. Best I can tell, the hat fell off on its own, and managed to knock the whole thing over off of the 6ft shelf.

Sigh. Guess I'll try to repair her, but it worries me that so many supports will be relying on superglue.

Holy smokes. That's awful! Post some pics of the damage? She might be a good candidate for brass rod repair. Photos will help me judge.

Einbroch

Banned

How horrible. I'm sorry to hear that. Similarly, my Snow Miku 2014 fell over because of her heavy hat. No damage like your Metallica, but I can totally see it.

RIP.

kewlmyc

Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that. All those delays just for it to get broken so easily. Why the hat isn't magnetic is beyond me.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

D:

Maybe I should invest in some museum putty...

FrostyCollects

Neo Member

:(

Mine's still on hold at AmiAmi. I plan to put her in one of my mirrored curios so hopefully that will be secure enough for her since my curios open from the right side. You have my condolences. >_<

meijiko

I think she'll be relatively okay in a cabinet. This fall was only so bad because I had her on the corner of a high shelf--not a place I usually keep figures, but I was putting her out for Halloween.

Here's a pic of the damage:

Her legs are really the only thing that broke, and I suppose the best consolation is that a repair wouldn't be all that visible. The black thing on the base will have to be resecured, but it's a clean seam break from what I can understand.

The beautiful abstract painting on the bottom of her hat. Surprisingly the top of it survived mostly unscathed.

Edit: I feel here is a good time to point out that those shallow grooves are the only support the hat has. There's no magnet, no peg, nothing. Just generally poor design.

StayDead

That is my worst nightmare. I dropped my Sena nendo and her butterfly snapped the day I got her but atleast she was only a nendo and I fixed it. Having it happen that badly to a scale figure *faints*

Giolon

I think she'll be relatively okay in a cabinet. This fall was only so bad because I had her on the corner of a high shelf--not a place I usually keep figures, but I was putting her out for Halloween.

Here's a pic of the damage:

Her legs are really the only thing that broke, and I suppose the best consolation is that a repair wouldn't be all that visible. The black thing on the base will have to be resecured, but it's a clean seam break from what I can understand.

The beautiful abstract painting on the bottom of her hat. Surprisingly the top of it survived mostly unscathed.

Edit: I feel here is a good time to point out that those shallow grooves are the only support the hat has. There's no magnet, no peg, nothing. Just generally poor design.

Ok, I think you can insert a rod into her left leg. Recommendation:

1. Use the smallest bit on the pin vise to start drilling a hole into her broken off left leg. Once you get it a few millimeters deep, you can switch to the next largest size, and so on until you get to the first size that the brass rod fits. Try to make sure you center it, and try to make sure you keep it parallel to the leg is going to be. If you drill the hole at the wrong spot or the wrong angle, you're going to be (more) sad. The hole only needs to go about 5mm or so deep.
  2. Do the same thing on her body's broken leg part. Make sure that you put the hole in the exact same place as it is on the broken off leg.
  3. Cut a piece of brass rod (I use wire cutters, brass is a fairly soft metal) about 1 cm long (short enough that it will fit in both halves of the leg.) Once you've tested for fit, you can apply a dot of Zap Gel to the end of brass rod and insert it into the leg, repeat with the other side. You may want to put some gel on the broken leg surface as well. Fortunately, the pantaloons will hide any minor overflow problems. Be warned - the glue will take paint with it on anything it touches.
Voila! Should be as good as new! I've had to do this with a couple figures myself. Just know that the pin vise drilling will be slow going. Don't rush it, and don't push too hard, particularly with the smallest bit. It's fragile.

If you're confident, you can try the same thing with her right leg, but given the angle, I think glue alone will suffice.

As far as the hat, you can try (in increasing order of potential for damage) getting the marks off by:

• Using some dish soap and warm water.
  • Using a plastic eraser (May remove paint if you rub too hard or too much. Be gentle).
  • Using a Magic Eraser (this is almost guaranteed to remove paint, and given the subtle shading on the bottom of the hat, I would not try this one on this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom