• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Mully

Waiting two more years until overly positive early reviews and generally average critic reviews.

THE WAIT IS ON!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Everyone's asking for an appearance on screen but no one seems to ask for Minilla

s9WwfhZ.jpg

he even made appearance in Final Wars, what's your excuse?

I've just been assuming that Kong and Godzilla would team up to fight Mecha Gidorah at this point

How does that work in-universe, though? The movies take place in a relatively realistic present-day. Unless they set something up in Kong (haven't seen it yet) there's nothing even remotely close to the tech needed to create a robot head + torso + wings to make Mecha King Gidorah. Also, who would create it? What would its purpose be?

So over at the splendid Monster Zero forums someone posted details on supposed film sets which include
Monarch Antarctic Base
Monarch Underwater Base
and an "Ancient Temple"

Pretty interesting locations. Also, a rumor that you should take with a huge grain of salt is that the Mothra design is
pretty crazy.

Daingurse

I've just been assuming that Kong and Godzilla would team up to fight Mecha Gidorah at this point

If we ever get a Pacific Rim cross-over, that would be the perfect setting for Mecha-King Ghidorah. Mecha-King Ghidorah is simply too cool to go to waste!

If we ever get a Pacific Rim cross-over, that would be the perfect setting for Mecha-King Ghidorah. Mecha-King Ghidorah is simply too cool to go to waste!

I can't see Pacific Rim working in this universe, as the existing Kaiju laid dormant while Pacific Tim's Kaiju wreaked havoc on this world.

Just have Godzilla killed and force Monarch/humanity to build a mech to fight the threat.

Daingurse

I can't see Pacific Rim working in this universe, as the existing Kaiju laid dormant while Pacific Tim's Kaiju wreaked havoc on this world.

Just have Godzilla killed and force Monarch/humanity to build a mech to fight the threat.

Yeah, I would agree that it would be hard to make a cross-over work. Mecha-King Ghidorah would feel simply feel fitting in that universe, I think lol. Hopefully Monarch will use Ghidorah's corpse or something, basically like you said lol.

StoneFox

How does that work in-universe, though? The movies take place in a relatively realistic present-day. Unless they set something up in Kong (haven't seen it yet) there's nothing even remotely close to the tech needed to create a robot head + torso + wings to make Mecha King Gidorah. Also, who would create it? What would its purpose be?
The answer to all of these questions is aliens.

They don't need to actually do a crossover with Pacific Rim. Just have the humans build jaegers and drift technology in the wake of the events of Godzilla 1 and 2 and Kong vs Godzilla. Nobody cares all that much about the Pacific Rim characters, we just want the robots. And I've got a great idea free of charge for the name of the first prototype mech:
Jet Jaguar
. You're welcome, everyone.

Hm. I wonder which purpose this location would serve

My initial assumption, knowing its backstory, is Mothra.

But I also wonder if maybe they're gonna do something there with Gidorah's origins or backstory.

I kind of wonder if it'll be

Arctic Base - Mothra, will be a fuzzy caterpillar
Undersea Base - Gidorah, design could be changed so that he's some kind of sea-based multi-headed serpent
Temple - Rodan, simply because it makes no sense to me to have a flying reptile come from the ocean or the snow.

rtcn63

I actually didn't hate Kong Skull Island.

I forgot Godzilla (the one with Kick Ass) existed and I watched it.

Is From Software gonna tackle Kaiju in its next IP?

Boss Doggie

Temple - Rodan, simply because it makes no sense to me to have a flying reptile come from the ocean or the snow.

you say that but then Gamera came from Antarctica (?) and he's fire based, but then again it never made sense haha

speaking of which surprised Toho didn't buy the franchise when the studio owning Gamera went bankrupt

So we can safely assume this will have a stinger at the end with Kong? Sounds like a shoe in. Hopefully the sequel improves on the first Godzilla, I enjoyed it a lot but there were definite issues.

you say that but then Gamera came from Antarctica (?) and he's fire based, but then again it never made sense haha

speaking of which surprised Toho didn't buy the franchise when the studio owning Gamera went bankrupt

That's a different monster universe though! Doesn't count! :p (I love Gamera, the only MST3K DVD set I have is the Gamera steel book)

Who owns the rights to Gamera now? When do we get American Gamera??

Boss Doggie

That's a different monster universe though! Doesn't count! :p (I love Gamera, the only MST3K DVD set I have is the Gamera steel book)

apparently Kadokawa Pictures (bought Daiei Film, the original owner)

I can't think of any american director or film team that probably would be able to reproduce the heart and soul of the Gamera films.

If this universe exists for a few more movies, eventually they'll want to include Mechagodzilla, so they might as well figure out some nonsense for the super robot technology now, rather than later. Mechagodzilla is basically Godzilla's #2 enemy behind King Ghidorah

Edit - Looking more into it, this rejected idea for 90s Mechagodzilla would work
Mechagodzilla was brought back in 1993's Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II, as the success of Godzilla vs. Mothra and the popularity of its main antagonist Mothra spurred Toho into reintroducing familiar characters rather than inventing new ones. Originally, the new Mechagodzilla was to be named "Berserk", and was envisioned as being a much more organic Godzilla-like creature which would later turn on its creators after becoming infected with a computer virus which makes it self-aware. Berserk would subsequently absorb more and more machinery, to the point of degenerating into a mass of metal and wires, though this concept was rejected early in pre-production.

I can't think of any american director or film team that probably would be able to reproduce the heart and soul of the Gamera films.

Del Toro has the right mix of warmth and cruelty, he could make it work. But Hollywood will never touch Gamera. A giant fire-breathing lizard is one thing, but a giant flying turtle...

Del Toro has the right mix of warmth and cruelty, he could make it work. But Hollywood will never touch Gamera. A giant fire-breathing lizard is one thing, but a giant flying turtle...

Hey, you might have a point with Del Toro! I love everything he did with creatures in it...Yes, even the Hellboy movies.

Pandy

They don't need to actually do a crossover with Pacific Rim. Just have the humans build jaegers and drift technology in the wake of the events of Godzilla 1 and 2 and Kong vs Godzilla. Nobody cares all that much about the Pacific Rim characters, we just want the robots. And I've got a great idea free of charge for the name of the first prototype mech:
Jet Jaguar
. You're welcome, everyone.
Came here to post something similar.

JJ FTW

Boss Doggie

can their jet jaguar change size? because that's important

but gamera is also known in public consciousness!

Retro

Dunno where else to put this and it doesn't seem new thread worthy, but the Kong twitter account just posted a short little snippet about Monarch quarantining a volcano in 1991.

https://twitter.com/kongskullisland/status/882636137927294978

Spoiler Alert: It's probably Rodan. If you look at the text around it, it also lists a "return to Skull Island" in 1995 and the "Janjira Meltdown" in 1999 (from the opening of Godzilla 2014). A bunch of other dates are listed but it's hard to make out what they're for. The 50s stuff is probably Godzilla but who knows (1959 is almost readable, "something Mystery"). Something as early as 1915 on there too.

What's the GAF consensus on Kong Skull Island? I watched it last night and was thoroughly entertained by it. The creature designs were cool as heck. Thought it was far better than Godzilla. Not sure if that's just me.

Sephzilla

What's the GAF consensus on Kong Skull Island? I watched it last night and was thoroughly entertained by it. The creature designs were cool as heck. Thought it was far better than Godzilla. Not sure if that's just me.

Most of the GAF reactions I saw were pretty positive.

Personally; I loved it and thought it was better than Godzilla 2014

Smellycat

Let's be honest guys, who is going to watch a movie where the main monster is a freaking giant moth? No one

it makes sense to include other monsters

Kinsei

Banned
I can't wait to see Ghidorah.

Hopefully we get a Mothra v Battra movie after this.

Let's be honest guys, who is going to watch a movie where the main monster is a freaking giant moth? No one

Mothra is awesome though.

gamz

It was pretty positive from what I've read. Bobby Roberts hated it with a passion. I liked it and was entertained.

I bought the DVD and sat through Mothra.

Mothra also brought enhanced value because her DVD also included 3 other movies! One of which was the Giant Claw, which is a fun movie to watch.

I don't understand how he didn't like the movie, especially since he likes Godzilla 2014

Because from a filmmaking perspective it has more in common with Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad than any previous Godzilla or Kong film

But somehow dumber and more inept than both those films.

(It's been a thing in this week's B.O. thread, if you'd like to know more.)

I don't hate it with a passion or whatever. It's just shitty. Real shitty.

Edit: if they're keeping/augmenting the skreeonk, (and they did) they'll keep Ghidora's sound effects, I'd imagine. They'll just juice it up a lil like they did Godzilla's

Parch

People unironically claiming you need setup movies?

C'mon guys.
They don't need setup movies. They were completely watchable on their own. If anything they had to properly overpower King Kong in his movie to make it work.

But no doubt about it, these are setup movies. They are working the marks heading for the big pay per view with some warm up matches. This is Godzilla vs King Kong. That's the headline match for the heavyweight title and they're going to hype the hell out of it in advance. Would you want it any other way?

Parch

Kong Skull Island was god awful. Just awful in so many ways. Awful.
There were some cringeworthy moments and some incredibly stupid decisions by the human characters. Don't fly away from the giant monster that is systematically taking down every helicopter. No, don't do that. The Sam Jackson character is wonderfully stupid as well.

But it's Godzilla and King Kong movies. They're supposed to be stupid. That's the whole point. If all you can do is roll eyes, then you probably don't get it. Campy seems to be a lost art better suited in the 60's.

Top Bottom