• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Filming begins on Godzilla 2, synopsis and cast revealed

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Godzilla as a good guy can work if they go the Gamera 90s route where he's a guardian of the earth but doesn't give a shit about humans and will kill them if they are in his way. Which seemed to be the case in 2014. He saved the day, sure, but all he wanted was to kill the MUTOS, not much else.

To my knowledge, yes.

I'd argue he doesn't give a shit in the 2014 movie, it just happens that his interests and actions align with the humans. Don't forget that he nearly wrecked a bridge full of people.

And figures, I guess the image of gold dragon is still considered good.

As nice as it would be for Godzilla to be a villain or even more of a neutral character in the American movies, there's no way they're going to do that. He's a full on super hero in these productions. The end of Godzilla '14 proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

A real shame, because I'm much more of a fan of Godzilla as an antagonist, but it is what it is.

Eh not really. Even the end we got the "is he a hero" ticker.

Yeah, but there was the hokey scene at the end with everyone cheering as he lumbered off. Maybe if the people looked at him in stunned silence, or he knocked down a skyscraper as he left I'd feel better about him as a force of nature in that movie.

It's just the people being relieved, but we do see during the fights that they don't want any of this shit happening. Seemed more like they're glad everything is over.

The end ticker was both vague and a nice homage.

They're just sticking to the source material!

GhidoravGRM.jpg

babby mothra is like

gidorah sempai!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
When this is really going to be the Gidrah, the three headed monster Remake and Mothra never evolved to her full form for in this (this is what I got from the Godzill-a-thon episode), maybe its really a Setup for a Mothra Solomovie?

Holy shit people still thinking "its too many monsters"

There were THREE in the last one.

There are FOUR in this one.

Like if ever there was a thread that proved the word "clusterfuck" is thoughtless armchair reflex its this thread.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I will stick to my argument, Mothra done right needs some setup and that could be a problem.

But maybe one of the three Godzilla adversaries could be a throw away villain like Batroc or Taskmaster in the Cap movies, who is killed after the first scene.

Daingurse

Like if ever there was a thread that proved the word "clusterfuck" is thoughtless armchair reflex its this thread.

A true clusterfuck wold be some like Godzilla: Final Wars. The funnest clusterfuck ever made.

Dehnus

Indeed, I didn't like Shin Godzilla for that reason alone. Not enough Monster Bashing! Shin vs Legendary Godzilla.... RAWR!

LET THEM FIGHT! :p

SMaller in hight, but faster and more agile Kong vs Legendary Godzilla? LET THEM FIGHT!

FOR GOODNESS SAKE! Let something fight something! This monster interbellum is killing me!

Man, that cast is really good.

It really is. I'm pretty excited by the director too, as Krampus was a really well put-together film.

If you want to do a Ghidorah movie they should strip out Rodan and Mothra and just go straight up Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. The last time they did this we got one of the best movies in the franchise

King Ghidorah is probably Godzilla's main enemy, right? I think they would have done well leaving him for the third film, so there's a real raising of stakes. Kong is going to seem like something of a step-down after Godzilla has fought a giant three headed space dragon.

Tizoc

Godzilla as a good guy can work if they go the Gamera 90s route where he's a guardian of the earth but doesn't give a shit about humans and will kill them if they are in his way. Which seemed to be the case in 2014. He saved the day, sure, but all he wanted was to kill the MUTOS, not much else.

To my knowledge, yes.

Didn't Gamera save a bunch of kids in the first movie though? As in he was battling Gyaos and was about to fall on some people but he restrained himself?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
For a moment I read this title as Shin Godzilla 2 and got excited. Which is weird because I did enjoy the Legendary rendition.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It really is. I'm pretty excited by the director too, as Krampus was a really well put-together film.

King Ghidorah is probably Godzilla's main enemy, right? I think they would have done well leaving him for the third film, so there's a real raising of stakes. Kong is going to seem like something of a step-down after Godzilla has fought a giant three headed space dragon.

Maybe they get Mecha-Gidorah and try to fight booth with it.

Didn't Gamera save a bunch of kids in the first movie though? As in he was battling Gyaos and was about to fall on some people but he restrained himself?

I don't remember but you're probably right. Gamera always goes out of his way to save children. Doesn't seem to care much about adults though.

Maybe they get Mecha-Gidorah and try to fight booth with it.

Since both Godzilla and Kong are protagonists with their own franchises, I imagine they'll go the BvS route (but better hopefully) and they'll team up against someone else in the third act, as silly as that sounds. If Ghidorah doesn't return, maybe Gigan.

Ghidroah the Three Headed Monster featured Godzilla, Mothra, and Rodan fighting King Ghidorah. This is literally a remake of that.

It's not like making the Avengers before making Captain America, Thor, etc. These are giant monsters that don't have particularly complicated backstories. Five minutes of human exposition is literally all the setup required.

Personally I like this approach. They're not assuming these movies are going to be smash hits, and opting for a slow burn. Screw that, you need to blow people's faces off right out the gate. Kong: Skull Island was a good start in that direction. Really have high hopes that Dougherty will bring his A game on KOTM, so audiences will be super hyped for Godzilla vs Kong. That movie is really where this franchise's future hinges on. If KOTM can set it up, and GvK can knock it out, we got ourselves a real cinematic universe.

Also this many kaiju means maybe they won't shoehorn trash comedy again.

SandTorso

The director of Trick r Treat confirmed for Godzilla? Thank god. I'm a huge godzilla fan and G'14 was a snoozefest outside of the last few minutes. Here's to hoping this is a bit more fun (plus, I mean, Krampus was pretty cool too. Not perfect like Trick r Treat, but aside from the ending I really enjoyed it).

Throw me in the camp that says we don't need each monster for set up movies. Granted I've seen almost every godzilla movie (Waiting for blu-ray Shin Godzilla to come out, and I've skipped Raids Again because I heard it sucked), but the back stories here aren't super complicated. Just please make the human characters fun to watch too. Outside of my initial viewing of G'14 in theaters I LOATHED the human element. Everyone was just so boring, which is a shame because I really liked Edwards' previous film Monsters.

In any case, what would be really great is if it was all practical effects. Trick r' Treat and Krampus were great at them (although there was some CGI for sure, but it added), and I'd love to see what they could do in a modern Godzilla movie with a fun tone.

Moppet13

I don't remember but you're probably right. Gamera always goes out of his way to save children. Doesn't seem to care much about adults though.

Since both Godzilla and Kong are protagonists with their own franchises, I imagine they'll go the BvS route (but better hopefully) and they'll team up against someone else in the third act, as silly as that sounds. If Ghidorah doesn't return, maybe Gigan.
Godzilla and king kong vs gigan would be a dream come true to me. I fucking live that alien chicken monster.

SandTorso

Physical effects were already confirmed.

Wait really? YES! I also just looked into co-writer Zach Shields, and was super happy to find out he was in on Krampus and Trick 'r Treat as well.

I haven't been this hyped for a movie in a long time. God I hope it turns out well, the pieces are falling together to be a dream monster movie for me.

Tizoc

tumblr_nz0p3j9wok1u8q1wu51.gif

This is how Giant Condor in Ebirah Horror of the Deep was introduced, no setup, not anything, it suddenly blasts from the sky and starts hitting Godzilla.

I bet you guys would love if every single monster was introduced like that.

Giant Condor got roasted 10 seconds after this scene.

I was expecting both Rodan and Mothra for this film because Rodan doesn't have an interesting enough backstory for his own movie (see Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla II), but I was hoping for them to save Ghidorah for a Ghidorah The Three-Headed Monster remake. That film was kinda the Avengers of its day, teaming up Toho's three best monsters at the time against a new threat. They could even throw in Kong this time. Ghidorah was only ever a Godzilla movie in the same way Avengers is an Iron Man movie.

Instead, Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah are all probably going to share Legendary Godzilla's backstory as creatures emerging from beneath the earth, and they're all going to be uninteresting. It's something I always hated about GMK: Baragon, Mothra and Ghidorah were interchangeable. Rodan was always a less interesting flying Godzilla, but Mothra was the current incarnation of an ancient psychic living god on a secret island that communicated through two fairy twins; and Ghidorah was this unstoppable cosmic force that had decimated countless planets in the past. Without that backstory, all they are is men in funny suits. It already bothered me that Legendary Godzilla wasn't created by nuclear bombs, which was kinda the reason his first movie was ever made.

Also, unless they're saving some more monsters for Godzilla vs Kong, it's going to be a really low stakes fight now.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The interesting thing about the monsters from beneath the earth thing is, that this was the original storypitch for the original Godzilla 2.

Godzilla v King Kong is going to be some Batman v Superman shit.

they're going to fight, then Godzilla is going to wink at Kong and then they're going to team up and beat up some world serpent thing. The giant Wolf character from RAMPAGE joins in the fight and an electric cello starts playing.

It's the only way.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Gigan is incomplete without his buddy Megalon

also why is "gigan and megalon fanfic" a suggested google search

Daingurse

If you want to do a Ghidorah movie they should strip out Rodan and Mothra and just go straight up Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. The last time they did this we got one of the best movies in the franchise

As much fun as GvKG is as a movie, I really hope Ghidorah is closer to his Showa incarnation in this new film. I loved the fact that he could only be beaten by multiple kaiju. Always made Ghidorah feel like badass, and a true threat to the King of Monsters.

Top Bottom