• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius |OT| Classic sprite-based JRPG goodness [UP] Global launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyrian

Yeah calling Golbez garbage is a bit much, he's not great but he has utility as a status mage who can wear armor, he actually rates above Kuja. Has access to decent -agas too

I was looking at the scored rankings on the Wiki today, and for the life of me can't figure out how they are reaching the conclusions that they are for some of these characters.

For example, Roselia, the most powerful white mage in the game currently is tied for 15th place on the rankings. So... she's not good enough to not make anyone's A or B teams?

What's her problem then? According to the page, she's only a White Mage. /eyeroll

Black mages? They don't wear platemail like Exdeath and can't natively wield Excaliburs. Absolutelydisgusting.gif

Heaven forbid that anyone ever should be in possession of any character that cannot enable a one-round-KO every encounter in the game. If they cannot, because they lack the capability to nuke the planet from outer space, then that character must be "complete garbage."

NomarTyme

He has Kefka and Chiz.

So comparatively, yes he is garbage. He'd better be off spending his time maxing out those two.

Also, anyway I can get sacred crystals without INT awake ? I'm missing 2.
Try your luck to get one from Phantom Forest or Lechio hills. INT is the king of Sacred crystals and holy crystals!

Lyrian

He has Kefka and Chiz.

So comparatively, yes he is garbage. He'd better be off spending his time maxing out those two.

Chimera boss in Phantom Forest or Chocobo Eater in Deserted Highroad can drop them, albeit rarely. Probably not worth the effort versus running the Vortex.

He has Kefka and Chiz.

I don't mean comperatively I mean in general. Your love for Kuja knows no bounds! :p

And yeah bite the bullet and run INT, the drop in Phantom Forest is abysmal.

I was looking at the scored rankings on the Wiki today, and for the life of me can't figure out how they are reaching the conclusions that they are for some of these characters.

For example, Roselia, the most powerful white mage in the game currently is tied for 15th place on the rankings. So... she's not good enough to not make anyone's A or B teams?

What's her problem then? According to the page, she's only a White Mage. /eyeroll
Why would u ever need curaja in this stage in the game? Cheer is much more useful and 100% guarantee bc everyone has access to her. I had her on old account and yea don't get me wrong she's great but that's literally all she can do is heal and cure ailments. Finas cheer is just damn good. I would maybe vouch for Roselia a bit more if she had raise but she doesn't even have that so she can gtfo my team

Why would u ever need curaja in this stage in the game? Cheer is much more useful and 100% guarantee bc everyone has access to her. I had her on old account and yea don't get me wrong she's great but that's literally all she can do is heal and cure ailments. Finas cheer is just damn good. I would maybe vouch for Roselia a bit more if she had raise but she doesn't even have that so she can gtfo my team

Laughed harder at that than I should have lol

And is ADV Vortex the best for leveling a 3*?

Celegus

Isn't it the best for leveling anyone outside of special events?

Are there any story missions worth redoing for the dailies? Finished up the campaign today and wasn't sure if there was a good place or to just do cheap ones.

NomarTyme

It's the best for solo leveling.

Isn't it the best for leveling anyone outside of special events?

Are there any story missions worth redoing for the dailies? Finished up the campaign today and wasn't sure if there was a good place or to just do cheap ones.
Hunt for Bloody eyes quest at Lechio hills. Nice staff for white mage.

Celegus

It's the best for solo leveling.

Hunt for Bloody eyes quest at Lechio hills. Nice staff for white mage.
I actually did every quest throughout this week (stuck in bed all week recovering from surgery, gave me something to pass the time and didn't matter if I fell asleep mid battle)

Azuran

Banned
I really want to try pulling for Locke but I feel like I'm going to get something I don't want like Cecil or Cloud of Darkness >_>

Edit: I got Garland with my first pull lmao. I'm really not going to complain.

Edit 2: Second pull because I have no self control, I got another Cyan to mock me. Yeah, I really should had stopped after that first one -.-

Anyways, Bartz, Chizuru, Garland, and Fina should be regulars in my team for a long while. If I could land Cloud of Darkness I would have the best physical team available right now.

I should really stop dreaming big when it comes to this game...

I really want to try pulling for Locke but I feel like I'm going to get something I don't want like Cecil or Cloud of Darkness >_>

Edit: I got Garland with my first pull lmao. I'm really not going to complain.

Edit 2: Second pull because I have no self control, I got another Cyan to mock me. Yeah, I really should had stopped after that first one -.-
Azu pls lol
I do want to kinda pull for Locke as well but it doesn't feel like it's worth it.

Lyrian

Fina's Cheer is outrageously expensive for what it does. She only has the mana pool to cast that a handful of times per event/exploration.

Right now, everything is easy enough that if everyone on the team can nuke things from orbit, she has enough mana to get through the fight/zone/whatever. If an encounter drags on, all that casting of Cheer really starts to take its toll.

I wonder what will happen once the game reaches a point where every encounter is not a damage race?

Lyrian

Numbers in from Reddit on the global banner:

Chance of pulling a banner character: 1 in 3 (33%).

As all of the banner characters are 3* base, the odds are split equally between them. 1 in 9 chance (11%) to pull a specific banner unit, adding the odds of all possible rarities of that unit.

Total odds for pulling a given rarity:

3* -> 80% (4 in 5)
4* -> 18.5% (1 in 5.4)
5* -> 1.5% (1 in 66.7)

Fina's Cheer is outrageously expensive for what it does. She only has the mana pool to cast that a handful of times per event/exploration.

Right now, everything is easy enough that if everyone on the team can nuke things from orbit, she has enough mana to get through the fight/zone/whatever. If an encounter drags on, all that casting of Cheer really starts to take its toll.

I wonder what will happen once the game reaches a point where every encounter is not a damage race?

Yeah I pulled her last night and I'm sure she'll come in handy...her design is ugly AF though.

Slaythe

I don't mean comperatively I mean in general. Your love for Kuja knows no bounds! :p

And yeah bite the bullet and run INT, the drop in Phantom Forest is abysmal.

Fool.

FF9 characters haven't been updated yet, Kuja has a very high chance of getting a 6 star with Ultima and all.

Golbez is done.

:p

As someone who has a fully physical attack team, I got to say Fina's Cheer is pretty valuable. My Fina has 248 MP so having to use it more than once and heal every turn isn't a problem. I am also lucky enough to pull Vaan, so having Full Break and Cheer at the same time makes a lot of the more difficult fights a lot more manageable. With that combo I can beat a 2* Esper before it has a chance to attack with the right friend summon and I can usually defeat them in 2 rounds with any other friend that's max level. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have a mostly physical attack based team, Cheer is an awesome skill to have and definitely worth the MP it costs to cast. A 40% increase to attack and defense is pretty helpful.

Fool.

FF9 characters haven't been updated yet, Kuja has a very high chance of getting a 6 star with Ultima and all.

Golbez is done.

:p

You know what the sad part is? Kuja is one of my favorite FF characters ever and I haven't pulled him ; ;

Or Ex-Deathajkdnjkashdjksahdkhasgdskajhdgashkdjasjhd

Lyrian

As someone who has a fully physical attack team, I got to say Fina's Cheer is pretty valuable. My Fina has 248 MP so having to use it more than once and heal every turn isn't a problem. I am also lucky enough to pull Vaan, so having Full Break and Cheer at the same time makes a lot of the more difficult fights a lot more manageable. With that combo I can beat a 2* Esper before it has a chance to attack with the right friend summon and I can usually defeat them in 2 rounds with any other friend that's max level. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you have a mostly physical attack based team, Cheer is an awesome skill to have and definitely worth the MP it costs to cast. A 40% increase to attack and defense is pretty helpful.

You are proving my point here, with the bolded phrase.

Right now, the meta in the game is a damage race meta. Hit everything so hard and so fast that there is no time for anything to really inflict significant damage or other issues on the player. The unit rankings clearly reflect this.

That said, damage racing is a perfectly valid solution to the currently available content in the game. However, in pursuing this strategy, the playerbase ends up invalidating every character that is not pure DPS (or a lone tank to hold mob agro off the DPS), because the only solution to a damage race issue is simply to escalate the damage race further (must do more damage, faster).

At some point, the meta is likely to change, as it always does in gacha games like this.

My real beef is that most players only see as far as the current meta and base the entirety of their decision making on whatever the most popular meta the herd is following at any given moment. When the meta changes, those people are going to get burned fairly hard.

Valus

Whoever here has that Vaan dual-wielding Excaliburs with Barrage, kudos to you man. Just stomped 2* Ifrit in 2 rounds lol.

You are proving my point here, with the bolded phrase.

Right now, the meta in the game is a damage race meta. Hit everything so hard and so fast that there is no time for anything to really inflict significant damage or other issues on the player. The unit rankings clearly reflect this.

That said, damage racing is a perfectly valid solution to the currently available content in the game. However, in pursuing this strategy, the playerbase ends up invalidating every character that is not pure DPS (or a lone tank to hold mob agro off the DPS), because the only solution to a damage race issue is simply to escalate the damage race further (must do more damage, faster).

At some point, the meta is likely to change, as it always does in gacha games like this.

My real beef is that most players only see as far as the current meta and base the entirety of their decision making on whatever the most popular meta the herd is following at any given moment. When the meta changes, those people are going to get burned fairly hard.
I think the meta in global is more controlling damage taken/dealt through things like the Break abilities, status effects like Paralyze and poison and Barfira, Barblizzara, etc magic resistance spells. I might be misunderstanding what the meta is, but the toughest boss strategies all seem to revolve around inflicting status effects or mitigating damage through Bar spells.

That's why I feel Cheer is a great ability to have. Even if you don't have the units to punish an enemy, it still gives you an attack boost and a great defense boost that helps take pressure off your healer(s) and you'll be able to survive better while chipping away at a boss. Most of the toughest bosses in the game so far are much easier to deal with when you can negate their strength and their defenses.'

I do think it sucks that it seems like people think they have to have all top tier units to clear all the current content. My favorite fights in this game have been beating bosses with what would be considered garbage units like a 2* Rizer helping me beat the White Dragon.

Screw that Frost Dragon in INT S-5 though. Confuse is a bitch.

Dreavus

Literally garbage. And no planned 6 stars while ff4 got his update. RIP.

I didn't know this, that sucks! He's my favourite character right now. Still going to get him to 5 with the rest of the team.

Always weird to me that they just leave characters in the dust like that in these kinds of games. I suppose it's to keep people pulling. I imagine it'd be more heartbreaking in Japan where you don't know who's going to be left out whereas on Global we can see what's coming (to an extent).

EDIT:

I think the meta in global is more controlling damage taken/dealt through things like the Break abilities, status effects like Paralyze and poison and Barfira, Barblizzara, etc magic resistance spells. I might be misunderstanding what the meta is, but the toughest boss strategies all seem to revolve around inflicting status effects or mitigating damage through Bar spells.

That's why I feel Cheer is a great ability to have. Even if you don't have the units to punish an enemy, it still gives you an attack boost and a great defense boost that helps take pressure off your healer(s) and you'll be able to survive better while chipping away at a boss. Most of the toughest bosses in the game so far are much easier to deal with when you can negate their strength and their defenses.'

I do think it sucks that it seems like people think they have to have all top tier units to clear all the current content. My favorite fights in this game have been beating bosses with what would be considered garbage units like a 2* Rizer helping me beat the White Dragon.

Screw that Frost Dragon in INT S-5 though. Confuse is a bitch.

Honestly that's going to be inevitable given the prevalence of rerolling and the first batch of free pulls being super front-loaded (although it kind of isn't anymore). Coupled with the fact that you need to put a lot of resources into a character to level and awaken it up, people want to just have "the best" and not be caught in a situation where their units can't compete. Getting different units at that point means you'd need to pull and put a lot of effort into another character. All Gacha games are like that it seems. "Future proofing" is weirdly a thing that exists because certain units get new forms up to higher rarity stars and others don't.

I do like futzing around with my own team if it's doable though. At a certain point you just need to use what you have and make the best of it.

chrono01

Man, evolved characters start off so weak, I probably shouldn't have done that with 3 of my 5 characters. :/

Cactuar, where are you Cactuar!?

CCIE

Banned
No five star character in this game is garbage. That is reality. Hell, a lot of 4* characters are useful. However, when going up against something like the Demon Chimera HP matters, and there is only so much HP a 4* unit has. People get upset when their favorite characters don't have all the stats. Then they are "garbage". The fact is that Vivi for example is a great mage, but he just doesn't have the oomph the 5* ones do.

Not every character is going to hit very hard. And if you have holes on your team there are three units that can be used to fill them. There are different play styles and ways to approach the game. A lot of people think Cerius is worthless, whereas to me she makes boss fights pathetically simple. Status effects are the name of the game when things get more difficult. Not DPS.

Personally, I'm missing a tank unit. I'm hopeful Garland can fill that role for now, but having a unit like WoL or Cecil to absorb damage would be REALLY nice in the advanced Colosseum battles. But my team doesn't suck either. It's just not the best on this board. People keep saying Terra is "garbage", but she has saved my bacon with Raise more times than I care to admit. I couldn't have gotten past Europa without her.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Beat Europa on my first try without any issues - Cheer + Barrage + Blade Bash bind and she never stood a chance. Only small regret, I had to use my last Cactur units to level up Cerius so that he learned his Bar spells. I feel he will be very useful once I start working on my mages.

Man, evolved characters start off so weak, I probably shouldn't have done that with 3 of my 5 characters. :/

Haha same here... haven't leveled a single unit since the Cactur event event though I should. Its just difficult to justify the regular EXP Vortex stage when you just experienced the much more rewarding Cactur stages. I feel like I'll just wait the weeks until Cactur is back before I level my units.. Unless it's absolutely needed to clear some content in the meantime.

bonkeng

We're in the same situation. Rerolled late, so only manage to get most of my team to 4* during Cactuar event. 3 are now 5* but low level. Cecil is still maxed 3* as i figured i dont need him immediately.

I need Gigantuar, not Cactuar :(

For what it does it's not bad at all. 48MP for +40% ATK/DEF for 3 turns is more than enough for 1 boss. By the time that won't work, we will have turbo ethers so she can just keep casting it anyway.

Cheer and full break will be the meta basically I think forever as even in JP that shit's useful unless u get like WoL or Garland for his LB. Correct me if I'm wrong tho JP players but I think we all should prolly get used to cheer+fb as permanent units (besides events ofc)

dennism

got a ticket today, expected a crap unit but got firion!

needed a physical character to complement my mage heavy team (exdeath, kefka, golbez, terra) and i got a good one

bonkeng

For what it does it's not bad at all. 48MP for +40% ATK/DEF for 3 turns is more than enough for 1 boss. By the time that won't work, we will have turbo ethers so she can just keep casting it anyway.

Cheer and full break will be the meta basically I think forever as even in JP that shit's useful unless u get like WoL or Garland for his LB. Correct me if I'm wrong tho JP players but I think we all should prolly get used to cheer+fb as permanent units (besides events ofc)

Dude, there's no such thing as forever, specially in mobile gacha games. The meta WILL change, just a matter of when.

Currently the meta is like what you said, but eventually it will shift to another one.

One example i can give is Chain Chronicles. For the whole part of version 1, the meta is DPS Warriors + Priest combo (just like right now in ffbe). It shifted to Gunners/Mage + Tank when version 2 came out.

All I'm saying is, SE needs to change the game to keep players interested, and to let whales whale out even more.

Dragner

made some room on my friend list if you want to add me, I have 300+ atk maxed Chizu

If you are very low level try to put GAF or something on the message, or write me here, I usually dont accept low level chars.

Rixa

Beat Europa on my first try without any issues - Cheer + Barrage + Blade Bash bind and she never stood a chance. Only small regret, I had to use my last Cactur units to level up Cerius so that he learned his Bar spells. I feel he will be very useful once I start working on my mages.

Haha same here... haven't leveled a single unit since the Cactur event event though I should. Its just difficult to justify the regular EXP Vortex stage when you just experienced the much more rewarding Cactur stages. I feel like I'll just wait the weeks until Cactur is back before I level my units.. Unless it's absolutely needed to clear some content in the meantime.

We're in the same situation. Rerolled late, so only manage to get most of my team to 4* during Cactuar event. 3 are now 5* but low level. Cecil is still maxed 3* as i figured i dont need him immediately.

I need Gigantuar, not Cactuar :(
^^ I feel your pain. Was in the same situation. Now Iam mindlessly grinding Earth Shrine, 16th day going, about one month to go. I havent used Lapis for energy recharge.
3 OF my Shantottos started from level one :p.

Screenshot_20160723-134753.png
Good thing is that _now_ is the right time to grind TM. I asked from experienced JP players when did they get first grind event (grind points and trade them items / similar to CC tower events). They said it was about 4-5 months after JP Launch. So my guess is we get first one in November / December, maybe earlier. That also means, later on we will have more events and thus less time to grind TM / use nrg to leveling etc.

got a ticket today, expected a crap unit but got firion!

needed a physical character to complement my mage heavy team (exdeath, kefka, golbez, terra) and i got a good one
Awesome pull, great luck \o_. Welcome to Firion world :)

Dude, there's no such thing as forever, specially in mobile gacha games. The meta WILL change, just a matter of when.

Currently the meta is like what you said, but eventually it will shift to another one.

One example i can give is Chain Chronicles. For the whole part of version 1, the meta is DPS Warriors + Priest combo (just like right now in ffbe). It shifted to Gunners/Mage + Tank when version 2 came out.

All I'm saying is, SE needs to change the game to keep players interested, and to let whales whale out even more.

Yeah, V1 CC Knights were crap compared to warriors, in V2 that changed. Iam trying to approach BE so that I dont need to use Hero Units (Rain/Lass/Fina/etc). I like to fill that slot with unit that has TM. But thats just my approach to game.

But how does that really relate to FFBE? The game is only physical and magical. When would the meta ever change from that? It's not like they really have merit to reinvent the wheel here, I mean the entirety of final fantasy in general revolves around physical (specifically swordplay) and magic spells on the side.

There will never be a Gunners type thing in this game, bc there are no ranged units so it will only ever be physical and magical with tanking as a longevity option

linkent

Turned on background music in game after a long time again. The current Type-0 event in JP version has such a boss BGM link

Amazing track.
and someone said japan made crap gaming song on one of the thread i visited.
edit: full version of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa4VfAtnv1g

Saw this on reddit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzO5LSdiJ5c
do we really need to spend 1 hour to kill a boss?
not to mention this full of OP units party. (i know it is 5man challenge but still)

Pulled Locke today, with my pulls of Hayate and Artemios yesterday no more pulling on this banner.

Back to next to no lapis though... And I have a feeling the lapis story train is about to end (just past westernsand)

bonkeng

But how does that really relate to FFBE? The game is only physical and magical. When would the meta ever change from that? It's not like they really have merit to reinvent the wheel here, I mean the entirety of final fantasy in general revolves around physical (specifically swordplay) and magic spells on the side.

There will never be a Gunners type thing in this game, bc there are no ranged units so it will only ever be physical and magical with tanking as a longevity option

They may implement it in the future though.

Remember, classic ff takes into account the front and back rows positioning. Ranged units deal more damage in the back, while close range deal half if put in the back. Tanks get double def if in front etc. There's a lot of mechanics they can implement. They have to.

Just because it's not yet implemented now, doesn't mean it won't in the future.

The example i gave is very much relevant as almost all gacha games changes mechanics. Otherwise, we will get bored of the same damn thing.

Spamming barrage for a year is damn boring wouldn't you agree?

Visceir

I thought Gilgamesh was a unit

the FF IV version gilgamesh was a FF IV event boss. Gilgamesh is an unit and then there's the Gilgamesh trial, which is based on FF XIII-2 Gilgamesh, I think?

And yea, the Gilgamesh trial can take quite long as you need to be meticulous about using all the specific elements each turn and preparing for the 80%/50%/30% HP limits to not get wiped.

Took me much less time, but I did have a 800 int Majin Fina and 1000 atk friend Orlandu along for the ride.

Visceir

Most tough bosses lately have been immune to FB and I've pretty much stopped using FB units. Gilgamesh for example could still have his int broken, so instead I used Ramza/Orlandu with a superior int break.

I think in Brave Frontier the meta has moved over to just using limit breaks to deal damage. FFBE doesn't have the means to fill the LB bar fast enough yet.

Just some examples.

In the GL version mages are rather gimped too while in JP version I could make a full-on mage team that could easily keep up or surpass physical teams.

Is the Landzelt ruins boss the final content in the main story at this point?

Correct, next story content should add the 3rd island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom