• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius |OT| Classic sprite-based JRPG goodness [UP] Global launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile version is fucking garbage. I wanted to throw up when I saw someone playing that in the subway the other day. Same crappy ass cut and paste graphics as that horrible PSP remake of IV.

Best version of the game is on the GBA or Wii Virtual Console if you like the non-horrible music.

Fascinating

I actually found the PSP remake decent enough (though the sprites are oddly chunky and weird looking) but again... I have a FAR less emotional attachment to that game

I guess our biases directly correlate to how forgiving you are of a games art style. See in my head i have a very clear image of the world, theme and art of FF6

So when the mobile version hit I threw up in my mouth a bit

An example of a remake that CAPTURES the spirit of the original game would be the FFT remake with the new cutscenes. I thought those visual renditions were lovely and fitting (even IF the script went overboard with Ye Olde English)

CCIE

Banned
So do the people here not like FFV on mobile either? It's the only FF I haven't played, and I was contemplating buying it

I love War of the Lions - but I have friends who think it is garbage and Square ruined it

So do the people here not like FFV on mobile either? It's the only FF I haven't played, and I was contemplating buying it

Well FFV is a game we were given access to far later and the original wasnt very pretty to begin with

Not much a artistic leap from the original FFIV

So when I saw the FFV mobile version i didnt think much about it. Ive only played through 5 once on GBA and that was it so Im not sure what an improvement to the art, world and theme SHOULD look

Valonquar

With the FP boost event:
1. Level / awaken the monk units to 2 star & cap them. They get chakra.
2. Fill a 5 man team with them.
3. Enter Earth Shrine - Entrance or Exit.
4. Set all 5 of them to use chakra.
5. Use repeat over & over to get the ability use trophies.

or you know, replenish gil from jumbo cactuars by leveling and selling them all.

Does the level of a unit matter when farming trust?
Not at all, though higher level means easier time using them for anything and still gaining TM. My team of 4 scrub level TM units + max Chizuru + friend can farm Ifrit 2* for daily explore, clear S-2 BGN col , and the rest so I don't need to swap units at all while going through TM grind month.

CCIE

Banned
Valanquar - that is what I did last time. Highly recommend it. I still have 1.2M after the Cactuars event from leveling - had 1.5 before from selling those units, the trophy from awakening, and ability trophy from chakra from the 50 minitaurs giveaway

bonkeng

Mobile version is fucking garbage. I wanted to throw up when I saw someone playing that in the subway the other day. Same crappy ass cut and paste graphics as that horrible PSP remake of IV.

Best version of the game is on the GBA or Wii Virtual Console if you like the non-horrible music.

This doesn't make sense.

take a look if it's the same or not:

FF4 PSP
A37MG.jpg

FF6 Mobile
Final-Fantasy-VI-Android-1.png

FF4 psp has much more detail than the ff6 mobile version.

What is your favorite version of IV? I like the PSP remake as well
The FFIV collection with After Years is fucking amazing on PSP

This. ff4 psp is amazing.

I love War of the Lions - but I have friends who think it is garbage and Square ruined it

FF5 mobile looks exactly the same as ff6 mobile. If you like ff6 mobile, you'll like ff5 too. Bought all ff games on mobile, except 3 and 4 3d versions. Those 2 are the only ff I can't tolerate playing. They look like a lego game to me.

EDIT: We're kinda getting off topic here. So on topic, where do you guys farm Farplane Soul? Almost done farming Demon Heart.

Azuran

Banned
What is your favorite version of IV? I like the PSP remake as well

DS version because you do more than simply mash attack to win. PSP is so easy it becomes a chore eventually. What's the point of all those abilties and magic when you only need to press one button throughout the game to win it all?

Furthermore, the DS version has a higher difficulty which encourages players to use every tool in their arsenal in order to get through the game. This means studying enemies, finding out what they're weak against, and taking advantage of that. Most of the strongest enemies in the game such as Behemoths and Dragons become a lot more manageable if you use status spells such as Slow and Stop which most people always seem to ignore ignore.

PSP will always be low tier because pretty graphics are not enough when the actual game is boring as fuck.

DS version because you do more than simply mash attack to win. PSP is so easy it becomes a chore eventually. What's the point of all those abilties and magic when you only need to press one button throughout the game to win it all?

DS version has a higher difficulty which encourages players to use every tool in their arsenal in order to get through the game. This means studying enemies, finding out what they're weak against, and taking advantage of that. Most of the strongest enemies in the game such as Behemoths and Dragons become a lot more manageable if you use status spells such as Slow and Stop which most people always seem to ignore ignore.

It also makes the game overly tedious. If the encounters are harder and more strategic then the frequency of them should be lower.

They didnt balance out what was otherwise a mechanically superior game.

Those 3D graphics could use another once over. I am beyond done with Chibi fantasy stubby legs games ala bravely default. Can we get pretty games again please?

Also FF4 is one of the most mechanically boring games in the series which is why never replay it

Falk

that puzzling face
Those 3D graphics could use another once over. I am beyond done with Chibi fantasy stubby legs games ala bravely default. Can we get pretty fames again please?

FFIV DS' 3D models were a different breed altogether from Bravely Default though. If anything it was FFIII DS that shared a similar aesthetic, largely because of Yoshida's character design work.

(p.s. I'd highly recommend moving non-Exvius chatter over to the FF Community thread. That's what it's there for)

FFIV DS' 3D models were a different breed altogether from Bravely Default though. If anything it was FFIII DS that shared a similar aesthetic, largely because of Yoshida's character design work.

(p.s. I'd highly recommend moving non-Exvius chatter over to the FF Community thread. That's what it's there for)

Baw fine

But im just farming more of them demon hearts ;p

BPBiorr

I liked the iOS version of FFIV the after years because it carried over the art style from the DS version with the 3D models.

Some of the sprites in the PSP version looked off to me specifically the Man in Blacks.

Edit: read Falks post, sorry for the off topic posting.

BPBiorr

On topic, I like how the character sprites change with thier increasing rarity like Golbez removing his helm in his 5* victory pose.

On topic, I like how the character sprites change with thier increasing rarity like Golbez removing his helm in his 5* victory pose.

I really hope some crazy superfan rips all the assets and remakes the games with these sprjtes someday lol

Would be incredible

Lyrian

That would be bonkers and amazing lol

I don't think that's out of the question, as his 5* limit break temporarily gives him his final form's angel wings. Now, I doubt that his base sprite form in 6* would be his final form. But, I could see his achieving his final form during his limit break at 6*.

I wish we could interact with the guys that make these sprites

I would heap so much praise on them on twitter. SE should hire these guys to make some games

I don't think that's out of the question, as his 5* limit break temporarily gives him his final form's angel wings. Now, I doubt that his base sprite form in 6* would be his final form. But, I could see his achieving his final form during his limit break at 6*.

I'm just surprised they haven't announced his 6* yet.

Lyrian

Achieved 80 hearts last night.

/sigh at my final vortex fight yielding 3 hearts. At roughly (via experience) at 5% chance for a footpad to spawn for each floor, that was my Lightning pull right there.

Grinding away at farplane souls now. At least that will let me replenish some of my lost crafting supplies to finally finish (hopefully) the crafting grind.

Got my scheming face on today. Thought up of an insane idea that seems plausible on paper and via research on the Reddit wiki, but would be a crazy long-term project. How insane? I've decided that during farming runs and such, I'm going to grind up Rydia's limit break levels. Yup, that's pretty insane.

CCIE

Banned
The sprites in Exvius are my favorite part. Though some of the attack animations suck - some are awesome, but for example Tellah's and Lenna's attack animations are just bleh

desverger

Got my scheming face on today. Thought up of an insane idea that seems plausible on paper and via research on the Reddit wiki, but would be a crazy long-term project. How insane? I've decided that during farming runs and such, I'm going to grind up Rydia's limit break levels. Yup, that's pretty insane.

You're even more insane than Rixa :p

Maledict

Meh. After getting 23 hearts yesterday spamming Int today my luck has vanished, and I've gotten 4 so far. Wish I could easily farm the Adv version for a guaranteed heart and more footpads, but it's just too time consuming and resource intensive without having a Raise on my team.

Lyrian

I'm just surprised they haven't announced his 6* yet.

Likely because he is still considered to be very powerful at 5*. There is no reason to give him a 6* form yet. Also, the longer the wait for his 6* form, the more powerful it will be because of power creep.

In PAD, players (in JP at least) are able to vote for early awakening evolutions for various cards periodically. Historically, some popular units have been left in the dust because they were voted to receive an extra evolution when it was not necessary for the unit to have one at the time. As a result, the evolution ended up being very underwhelming because the devs would not let the card exceed the current power creep level of the game at that time. Thus, that unit would always end up being the weakest in its series because of its early next evolution.

Achieved 80 hearts last night.

/sigh at my final vortex fight yielding 3 hearts. At roughly (via experience) at 5% chance for a footpad to spawn for each floor, that was my Lightning pull right there.

Grinding away at farplane souls now. At least that will let me replenish some of my lost crafting supplies to finally finish (hopefully) the crafting grind.

Congrats you psychopath! :p

Meh. After getting 23 hearts yesterday spamming Int today my luck has vanished, and I've gotten 4 so far. Wish I could easily farm the Adv version for a guaranteed heart and more footpads, but it's just too time consuming and resource intensive without having a Raise on my team.

Sorry to hear about your luck

Ive been farming INT with a very high success rate

Had a 3 heart and 2 heart drop today and 1 heart drops seem very common

I think i only had 3 empty runs the whole day

I have a Max Locke and make sure to overkill the wizard everytime (and have Locke score the final hit)

Not sure if any of that even matter but hey... placebo effect is real son

Lyrian

As someone who farmed ADV exclusively, footpads are very rare on ADV.

I farmed it with generally lackluster units for the most part. Have a mage? Pair up a Kefka/Exdeath with another friend mage and elemental chain any -aga spell every round over and over. I did that with Fina doing nothing but casting Cura all the time.

Target the Bloody Eyes first when they appear. The only floor that might cause problems is the one where 3 eyes spawn at once. Even then, their Death spell appears to ever land rather rarely. I think I only had a unit die from it 2 times, 3 max, in over 70 runs.

Likely because he is still considered to be very powerful at 5*. There is no reason to give him a 6* form yet. Also, the longer the wait for his 6* form, the more powerful it will be because of power creep.

In PAD, players (in JP at least) are able to vote for early awakening evolutions for various cards periodically. Historically, some popular units have been left in the dust because they were voted to receive an extra evolution when it was not necessary for the unit to have one at the time. As a result, the evolution ended up being very underwhelming because the devs would not let the card exceed the current power creep level of the game at that time. Thus, that unit would always end up being the weakest in its series because of its early next evolution.

Oh but Chizuru NEEDS a 6*? lol

As someone who farmed ADV exclusively, footpads are very rare on ADV.

I farmed it with generally lackluster units for the most part. Have a mage? Pair up a Kefka/Exdeath with another friend mage and elemental chain any -aga spell every round over and over. I did that with Fina doing nothing but casting Cura all the time.

Target the Bloody Eyes first when they appear. The only floor that might cause problems is the one where 3 eyes spawn at once. Even then, their Death spell appears to ever land rather rarely. I think I only had a unit die from it 2 times, 3 max, in over 70 runs.

INT is where its at man

Footpad rate seems about the same rarity and its much easier

Yeah wizard drop rate is roughly 50/50 but having Locke SEEMS to help.

scarlet

Give the entire FF6 cast six start

And lets get the rest of them in there. Relm, Strago, Umaro, Gogo, Mog, Setzer, Gau

Lets do this

Make Shadow great again

300 base attack
Dual wield
Auto regen
Attack 7 times with 30% chance of instant death to all enemies including bosses.
Barrage
Full break

Oh man I feel your pain. I finally got 10 fire this morning... now I need 8 more ice for my first ring. Gotta figure out how many I actually need...

I have 2, need 4 more.

And I have hundreds of other megacrysts but fire and ice

Make Shadow great again

300 base attack
Dual wield
Auto regen
Attack 7 times with 30% chance of instant death to all enemies including bosses.
Barrage
Full break

I have 2, need 4 more.

And I have hundreds of other megacrysts but fire and ice

They should restore throw to being something useful

Maybe Shadow should get a perk to allow thrown items to scale with his attack stat and make it exclusive to Ninjas

Also Shadow should get his interceptor counter... and this game needs an Evade stat somewhere and build it into ninjas instead of having us waste a turn to apply image

scarlet

Maybe Shadow should get a perk to allow thrown items to scale with his attack stat and make it exclusive to Ninjas

Also Shadow should get his interceptor counter... and this game needs an Evade stat somewhere and build it into ninjas instead of having us waste a turn to apply image

I crafted shuriken cuz it's fast and cheap, so my shadow can throw it and gain that item and synthesize trophies.

But guess what, Shadow can't use throw. Useless unit.

Lyrian

Popcorn time.

According to Reddit, on JP, the mythical rumored Summer bundle just got announced, starting at roughly the same time it would start on GL. Only difference is that JP gets star quartz in the bundle instead of megacites. 8 daily bundles starting on the 11th.

/looks over at Global 11 ticket bundle, which says 2 days remaining and today is the 9th...

Lyrian

Throw has a potentially very good use, but there's nothing on global that requires fixed damage ability/items to be used (aka infinite defense mobs). Completely missed opportunity to make the skill useful.

Popcorn time.

According to Reddit, on JP, the mythical rumored Summer bundle just got announced, starting at roughly the same time it would start on GL. Only difference is that JP gets star quartz in the bundle instead of megacites. 8 daily bundles starting on the 11th.

/looks over at Global 11 ticket bundle, which says 2 days remaining and today is the 9th...

Oh I hope it is true!

Pejo

It's been a long time since I had to worry about sacred crystals, is INT awakening vortex still the best source?

Also, best FFIV is PSP collection, and I would also recommend the Android/iOS port of the DS version for a pretty different experience. You can't go wrong either way.

FFVI is hands down GBA or SNES/Virtual Console. I tried the mobile port and just couldn't handle the ruined spritework.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think she proves the point actually. Every guide seems to indicate her relative power level actually drops at the 6* level. She doesn't gain much, and numerous other characters rank higher than her.

She is already above and beyond all other physical damage right now, so I feel like its them catching up. There are worse equipped ones with 50 more ATK than my Bartz. -_-

Farming advance for hearts, going to hit 4 next. Only one Footpad todate.

Popcorn time.

To those who listened to my sagely words, your welcome.

To those who didn't. Heh

I mean whats the stat modification curve anyways

Is the damage difference really that deep? What about overall utility (chiz does have a robust skillset) and other angles? Like chain potential and limit building

Maybe the previous rankings were skewed because the game started out as a barrage simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom