• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Brave Exvius |OT| Classic sprite-based JRPG goodness [UP] Global launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth it to keep Rain and Lasswell around, I just got a Firion(the ones I use on my friends list are monsters) and I feel like replacing one of them, I'm still early in the game, only around lv 19

Is it worth it to keep Rain and Lasswell around, I just got a Firion(the ones I use on my friends list are monsters) and I feel like replacing one of them, I'm still early in the game, only around lv 19

FUCK A RAIN

Yes replace one of them, ideally Laswell since Rain gets some heavy hitting at 6* but it really depends on your team dynamic!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
FUCK A RAIN

Yes replace one of them, ideally Laswell since Rain gets some heavy hitting at 6* but it really depends on your team dynamic!

Lasswell is a bit better now, but Rain turns into a fairly solid support character at 6*

I'll be holding off on the Frost Dragon for a bit. I could do it now if I got lucky with status, but I'm very short on the damage since the two I use primarily have been Buttz and Kefka. Need to get some fire skills on Kefka, Bartz, ideally just getting Ifirt to Level 2 should improve him enough, but I can't really get much higher than my current damage. Using two Hyper Wrists, Green Beret, 61+Damage Sword. I'll probably throw the Black Gi over to Artz instead, to begin gearing him up and use the Tiger Helm on him. Find a solid bow to use too. I just got him to 80, so he is still pretty weak. Get one of the Fira recipes for Kelfka too. I think I'll level up my Golbez too, run two mages, two dps, should have plenty of status, and a keep Fina healing.

Finally get the two other Espers I'm missing too and raise them a bit this weekend.

Celegus

Finally got to Frost Dragon but I don't have enough damage to kill it. Garland and CoD are my only damage dealers... Kuja and Golbez are pretty much stuck to praying to RNGesus for sleep or paralyze to work since their damage is pretty negligible.

FUCK A RAIN

Besides Rain and Laswell I use Golbez, Lenna, and Cloud of Darkness. I have Kain too and he's too cool not to use but I didn't know if I should take out Rain/Lasswell.

I also just now got a 4 star Krile, don't know how good she is but she's my first four star.

Finally got to Frost Dragon but I don't have enough damage to kill it. Garland and CoD are my only damage dealers... Kuja and Golbez are pretty much stuck to praying to RNGesus for sleep or paralyze to work since their damage is pretty negligible.

Hmmm, Golbez has a tough time keeping up in that given his lower MAG stat and Kuja has a much better stat but a much smaller library to utilize. Garland hammering away with Power Break and the occasional Firaga can help; though in all honesty he can become a liability if confused, one hitting your mages or at the very least Kuja.

What other units do you have, say healing or support wise?

Besides Rain and Laswell I use Golbez, Lenna, and Cloud of Darkness. I have Kain too and he's too cool not to use but I didn't know if I should take out Rain/Lasswell.

I also just now got a 4 star Krile, don't know how good she is but she's my first four star.

Golbez can't dish out much damage at that point but if you add Krile you'll be able to elemental chain decently well. I used 5* Lenna as well during the fight and she saved my ass. Krile, in that set up, really should be your primary mage despite being effectively a Red Mage in utility.

COD is a beast though, her barrage coupled with Cheer will be a hell of a damage boon; adding elemental dual cast chains and you just need to focus on staying alive.

Celegus

Hmmm, Golbez has a tough time keeping up in that given his lower MAG stat and Kuja has a much better stat but a much smaller library to utilize. Garland hammering away with Power Break and the occasional Firaga can help; though in all honesty he can become a liability if confused, one hitting your mages or at the very least Kuja.

What other units do you have, say healing or support wise?
Using a maxed Lenna, also have Fina and Krile but my issue is more damage than survivability. Currently working on leveling Locke and Cecil. Not much else of note.

Golbez can't dish out much damage at that point but if you add Krile you'll be able to elemental chain decently well. I used 5* Lenna as well during the fight and she saved my ass. Krile, in that set up, really should be your primary mage despite being effectively a Red Mage in utility.

COD is a beast though, her barrage coupled with Cheer will be a hell of a damage boon; adding elemental dual cast chains and you just need to focus on staying alive.
Golbez is still my strongest unit easily, CoD is doing the 2nd least damage(don't have a good weapon for her) but i like her resistances. I'm still low level so I don't have stuff like barrage or cheer.

You might be confusing me with someone else cause I didn't mention anything about a fight.

Golbez is still my strongest unit easily, CoD is doing the 2nd least damage(don't have a good weapon for her) but i like her resistances. I'm still low level so I don't have stuff like barrage or cheer.

You might be confusing me with someone else cause I didn't mention anything about a fight.

Well fuck me I did! Apologies!

Yeah I used Golbez up until I got Ex-Death, though Tellah is great as well >.>

Keep going with CoD, shes fantastic!

wilstreak

tbh you only need to max level COD, get her a decent weapon and she can clear any story battle on her own in 1 turn.

sammich

From my experience, curaja on Lenna is roughly the same as Kriles double cast cura.

Didn't have Lenna at the point. It was pre current banner. Now I have 5 of her with one being lvl 71(working on it slowly) and a 3rd Chizuru. Lenna and Fina would be perfect, as with that cheer would always be up, but for some reason I'm partial to my Krile for some odd reason

Falk

that puzzling face
I have Kain too and he's too cool not to use but I didn't know if I should take out Rain/Lasswell.

Kain has an awesome ability set. You have Jump which takes two turns and deals huge damage albeit delayed.

However, if that's too slow, as an alternative he also has Store which also lets you do big delayed damage on the next turn.

why is Kain so terrible

Kain has an awesome ability set. You have Jump which takes two turns and deals huge damage albeit delayed.

However, if that's too slow, as an alternative he also has Store which also lets you do big delayed damage on the next turn.

why is Kain so terrible

Well he's a Dragoon.

So he jumps...and well, he jumps back down.

Thats what it is.

BAHAHAAHAHA

Malakhov

Banned
- WoL Obvious choice
- Lenna Healer
- Tellah Mage
- Shantotto Just for leech TM%, replace when you get some 5* unit
- Lasswell Phys dam dealer equip with Murasame when you get it

Thanks. I played tonight and got a 3 stars Garland so I replaced Shantotto with him so now I have Lasswell, Garland, WoL, Tellah and Lenna as my party. It took 7 whole levels to Lenna to learn Cure though, which is kind of a bummer. Is it because she's only 3 stars?

On the other hand, this game is fun, fun, fun, and beautiful!

No love for Shadow, lol?

Ahh, the sweet sweet feeling of finishing another crafting grind once and for all. Good riddance to the gil silk that is crafting abilities. Two gold crafting trophies down, one to go.

45 trophies in the bank now :)

I fucking love Shantotto, shes the only one in global I believe with access to ALL BLM spells...and shes a fucking 4* Max. FU

Rixa

No love for Shadow, lol?

Ahh, the sweet sweet feeling of finishing another crafting grind once and for all. Good riddance to the gil sink that is crafting abilities. Two gold crafting trophies down, one to go.

45 trophies in the bank now :)
Farm TM and you are swimming in GIL. Later on you start to get so much shit that you sell and gain abour 30-40k per sell session. I have now 2516620 Gil...

I fucking love Shantotto, shes the only one in global I believe with access to ALL BLM spells...and shes a fucking 4* Max. FU

I think she is the only unit from XI ingame. So maybe they add more later and boost Shantotto rarity :p. Or not...

Falk

that puzzling face
In a prolonged fight when he reaches 5* he's okay I guess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFBraveExvius/wiki/units/091

Don't get me wrong, both Rain and Lasswell have equally boring skillsets and they're already 5*.

I think it's just more symptomatic of the granularity of the game's balance in general. Abilities are very, very distinctly better or worse comparitively to one another, which goes back to a core weakness of the design of simple turn-based combat. When you have one action, and that's all you can do till your next turn, abilities tend to get compared as-is, with not nearly as much nuance or opportunity cost balancing to keep things in check.

I mean, yes, there's everything from AOE vs ST, to element vulnerabilities, to element chain and spark chains, to buffs and debuffs to consider, but it still really boils down to the basic gameplay loop of one action per turn. That's it. No opportunity cost modifiers like e.g. Bravely Default's Brave/Default system, nor cooldowns in Granblue Fantasy (just to pull from two very similar turn-based combat setups)

This is why Barrage is far away above all other current physical abilities. This is why Full Break is essential. This is why Dual Wield has virtually no other peer in usefulness. They tower over all other alternatives as the underlying game mechanics don't have enough interlocking systems to balance out the opportunity cost. (It doesn't really help that resource is generally lumped into "MP", really)

Characters either have overpowered abilities (or TMs), or they don't. Which either means you've pulled them, or you haven't. The meta in Exvius very strongly leans towards very, very distinct best-practices with little variation in setup, and this is only mildly alleviated with the game maturing (e.g. where Japan is now). This in turn creates an environment where if you're out of luck with pulls, you *will* get brickwalled by (largely optional atm) content.

While we're on this note, I want to say I'm honestly really baffled at the tuning of this Demon Heart event. The stamina opportunity cost for getting a simple 35 stat item is all out of wack when compared to other 31-39 stat items other than MAG. If I could give an analogy, it would be like if a STR item in WoW was a quest reward, while a MAG item of equal strength required you to be Merciless Gladiator or something.

But hey, I guess we do need something to grind, and maybe this is simply Gumi/Alim's laboratory test as to how bonkers people are willing to go for incremental improvements in power level compared to getting lucky and pulling the right characters, and we're all unwitting guinea pigs saying "yes, we'll do it". ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Sorry, this is a bunch of personal musings not directly related to Kain or the quoted at all, but I did have to get it off my chest. Felt the same way when playing JP launch)

bonkeng

Interesting opinion.

Granted, Exvius is still quite new and we may or may not get any new game mechanics, but most gacha games tend to have simple mechanics during its first few months.

I do agree that this game is too reliant on certain abilities or OP units in order to progress at an easier pace. If you have Barrage, Dual Wield, Fullbreak etc, you're more likely to steamroll thru the game. I've seen how Orlandu can solo a difficult dungeon.

Falk

that puzzling face
Right, I did posit exactly that.

I also keep a loose eye on JP happenings just out of interest, so I'm basing my opinion around the future blueprint as much as I am the current state of the game, 4* characters and all.

edit: Would like to mention that with all that rambling, I'm not saying simple is inherently bad. Simple does mean approachable/accessible. Simple can also go with good balance, or bad balance. And even bad balance can simply be intentional (juicier carrot on a stick for monetization)

The opposite of simple would be Mobius, where you're thrown into the deep end with half a dozen arcane systems and left to try to figure it all out yourself.

Xion86

Right I should have the Rod today! Been using Dalnakya Cavern - Demon's Lair to farm Farplane Souls as you get quite a lot there. Not long now....

Then back to trying to level up my new team until the next event :). I'd post a screenshot here if it was easy to do so on my iPad? Oh also I decided to download the game on my Galaxy S4 too...looks lovely! Plays fine too, impressed. Only thing i noticed, which was a bit scary, is my lapis is 0 on the phone.

Falk

that puzzling face
In mobile games any purchasable currency between android and iOS versions are generally not shared, since they involve different storefronts.

Rare Summon Tickets (which you can buy on one version to clear out Lapis) *should* carry over.

Dreavus

Right, I did posit exactly that.

I also keep a loose eye on JP happenings just out of interest, so I'm basing my opinion around the future blueprint as much as I am the current state of the game, 4* characters and all.

edit: Would like to mention that with all that rambling, I'm not saying simple is inherently bad. Simple does mean approachable/accessible. Simple can also go with good balance, or bad balance. And even bad balance can simply be intentional (juicier carrot on a stick for monetization)

The opposite of simple would be Mobius, where you're thrown into the deep end with half a dozen arcane systems and left to try to figure it all out yourself.

Out of curiosity, how many Gacha games do you tend to play at once Falk? I am finding my limit to be about 2, MAYBE three, but I've found myself dropping off of FFRK for Exvius and now Mobius. I haven't been back to it for a while aside from the occasional log in (I was never super heavily invested and cleared mostly basic content, but I still had fun building a team in that game).

While it is kind of fun to have "more to do" in the sense that it's a couple games to bounce between it reaches a certain point where it gets exhausting with too many. I feel like I want to stick with Exvius and see where Mobius goes in the next little while as well but that might be about all I can handle at once.

Falk

that puzzling face
I spend a fair a bit amount of time either commuting or waiting (contract work, mostly international clients, timezones often wack) and I can really only manage 3 at once. No more than 1 in the initial 'oh god game just started and you have unlimited stamina and there's so much to do' phase.

FFRK has been on maintenance mode for a while - that game really barely takes time (although orbfest is tomorrow help me Lord)

Granblue I'm pretty deep in, but the beauty of that game is you'll -never- catch up to the forefront so you can just put it down and pick it up and not feel pressured ever. Dropped it for a month and some change earlier in the year due to crunch

KHUX not too invested

Exvius not too invested

Mobius is hooking me. If I decide to go for it I'm 100% going to have to drop either of the previous.

Bunch of others I picked up but never really lasted more than a couple of weeks. I have a very invested personal curiosity about how this business model evolves over the years since it's really an evolution from prior computer MMOs and its ilk, so I try to keep abreast of the most popular trends.

The funny part about it all is as work picked up, my mobile gaming actually likewise picked up, since it's great for short intermittent sessions, something that stuff like XCOM or JRPG proper doesn't really afford for an optimal experience.

Outside of Steven's Sausage Roll I legitimately haven't actually played any console or Steam game since late March. These past few months have been quite literally hell w.r.t. work.

Rixa

So we should get those 300 Lapis -> Tix bundles starting from tomorrow.

Google playstore link to BE

GooglePlay said:
====================
Google Play Summer Sale
[Sale Period]
Thursday 8/11 1:00 - Friday 8/19 0:59 (PDT)

[Sale Details]
Get a rare summon ticket, a magic key, a phoenix down, an elixir and five megacite for the low cost of 300 lapis.
====================

Edit: JP has revealed summon rates. For the banners:

1% for 5*
19% for 4*
80% for 3*

Malakhov

Banned
Do you guys use your lapis for summoning or you keep them for something else? Even though I'm doing alright with Laswell, WoL, Garland, Lenna and Tellah, I am still hoping for CoD, Chizuru, Kefka or Exdeath...

fionel

Is it 1% chance for the exact 5* on the banner or 1% for any 5*?

1% for a 5* and half of that 1% for the character on the banner. So 0.5% for the one on the banner. So much for pick ups!

Also, each of the 19 max 4* junk characters have a rate of 4.1-4.3%. So in general 80% of the time you will get nothing but these junk!

unrealist

Isn't that about 200 rolls or 200 x 500 = 100,000 Lapis?

18,000 Lapis = $99.99 which means I have to buy this at least 6 times... Lightning will cost $600 USD ..

Rixa

Isn't that about 200 rolls or 200 x 500 = 100,000 Lapis?

18,000 Lapis = $99.99 which means I have to buy this at least 6 times... Lightning will cost $600 USD ..

Obviously Gumi / Alim can do something differently...
Have Lightning banner diluted with more base 5* units that arent so great :p.

Edit: Here are the rates (Not my account, dont play JP). They are BF banner units: Vargas / Tilith / Karl / Seria
Droid4X%202016-08-10%2011-34-13-733.png

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
While we're on this note, I want to say I'm honestly really baffled at the tuning of this Demon Heart event. The stamina opportunity cost for getting a simple 35 stat item is all out of wack when compared to other 31-39 stat items other than MAG. If I could give an analogy, it would be like if a STR item in WoW was a quest reward, while a MAG item of equal strength required you to be Merciless Gladiator or something.

I would say this is half true. Right now, it's 9 higher than the highest. In the coming time, it will be obsolete. Sort of like T2 armor going to T3 for a lot of class, with the expansion looming. It is still the "best", but the best is simply always changing. It is a good way to get people into the rat race mentality though.

The event itself is very poor, the itemization is poor on top of it, and the amount of time needed does not correlate with the reward in comparison to upcoming content. Which is the differing point. In WoW and most MMOs, the player base typically doesn't know a year's worth of content in advance. Hence why they are already gauging future content and what to invest into now. This is pretty rare case in comparison to most MMO titles.

Anyways... 55 hearts down. 25 more. Q_Q

With long term play, I'm honestly not sure if I'll be playing or not. This is my first mobile title outside of Wordcrack/Trivia Crack. But I'm clearly feeling the, a string of bad luck with pulls will stop you from advancing. While you can still play through the story, the game is definitely not built around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom