• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Roto13

I've come to the conclusion that Death doesn't do anything in Final Fantasy XIII. There's one hunt where I read a guide that says you can kill it with Death and get the Growth Egg while you still have some use for it. I tried like 20 times. Each attempt involved casting death 5-10 times. It never worked. Not even once. Even with "improved debuffing II" on Vanille.

Aeana

Roto13 said:
I've come to the conclusion that Death doesn't do anything in Final Fantasy XIII. There's one hunt where I read a guide that says you can kill it with Death and get the Growth Egg while you still have some use for it. I tried like 20 times. Each attempt involved casting death 5-10 times. It never worked. Not even once. Even with "improved debuffing II" on Vanille.
You mean it doesn't work at all?
Because that's how I farmed the adamantoise guy near the end of the game, by casting death on it over and over again instead of fighting it legitimately.

Roto13

It has never once worked for me. It didn't work when I tried it against random C'ieth as soon as I got it, it didn't work against the staggered last boss, and it definitely didn't work against that Neochu or whatever it's called.

greyshark

Roto13 said:
It has never once worked for me. It didn't work when I tried it against random C'ieth as soon as I got it, it didn't work against the staggered last boss, and it definitely didn't work against that Neochu or whatever it's called.

I believe that having more negative status effects on your target will also increase the probability of Death working.

Final Fantasy Wiki said:
Death appears as Vanille's Full ATB Skill and acts in a similar way to a Limit Break. It deals up to 99,999 HP damage (but can break the damage limit with a Genji Glove) and has a 1% chance of inflicting Instant KO. This is increased by an additional 1% for each status ailment the target possesses.

Unfortunately, despite widespread word-of-mouth to the contrary, Death is not classified as a debuffing spell, so its chances of hitting can't be boosted with the passive ability Improved Debuffing found in Vanille's Belladonna and Malboro Wands, or by staggering the opponent.

So there ya go.

jaxword

Aeana said:
Listening to the FF6 soundtrack this morning, still skeptical that Uematsu wrote it. I'm calling shenanigans and ghost writer.

Do you really mean this? I'm intrigued at your reasoning...

Aeana

jaxword said:
Do you really mean this? I'm intrigued at your reasoning...
I only mean that it sounds so dramatically different from his other work in so many cases.
I'm sure he wrote it, it's just totally weird.

Roto13 said:
It should still work sometimes. I know it's possible to kill the last boss with Death when he's staggered. There are videos.
It doesn't say that you can't use it when someone is staggered, it says that you can't boost the chances of it working when they're staggered.

jaxword

Aeana said:
I only mean that it sounds so dramatically different from his other work in so many cases.
I'm sure he wrote it, it's just totally weird.

I think it was because ol' Hironobu wanted an operatic / Renaissance European theme to FF6, so Uematsu probably drew heavily from sources from that era.

It wouldn't be the first or last time he draws from other genres to match the theme of the game; see Otherworld.

Roto13

Professor Beef said:
It doesn't say that you can't use it when someone is staggered, it says that you can't boost the chances of it working when they're staggered.
I'm pretty sure the last boss is immune to it when he's not staggered.

greyshark

Roto13 said:
It should still work sometimes. I know it's possible to kill the last boss with Death when he's staggered. There are videos.

And it does work - just debuff your target as much as possible before you try it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Death works too slowly and is quite inefficient, even with additional debuffs. It's better to fight it head on using good Optima settings. It does work, however. Debuff it as much as possible when you take out its legs and cast Death on it when it falls. I usually went with the "if it doesn't die during the first fall, then restart" policy.

I personally go with a Fang/Vanille/Snow party for early postgame, but for a quicker takedown in mid/late-postgame, go with a Fang/Vanille/Lightning party. Debuffing the thing makes it go down faster.

Ingots and Traps were hard to come by for me, so I ended up fighting more Guis instead for money and Dark Matters. >.>

It's been a while since I updated, and I've done a whole bunch of shit in FF7.

After convincing Roto13's grandpappy to hide our stash and turn his 3D space model into a safe house, we decided to go back to the City of the Ancients and find out what in the world Boney was up to. Turns out Boney was trying to save the world, but Sephiroth put a damper on that plan. Our mission is now clear: save the cheerleader kill Sephiroth, save the world. Before we could put that plan into motion however, there was a bit of a crisis that needed to be taken care of. Shinra somehow moved the Junon Cannon (without anybody noticing) and plopped it on top of Midgar like a stack of Legos (again, with few people noticing and also within the span of no more than 2 weeks). Their plan was to fire a huge blast of energy at Sephiroth's shield so people could get inside to where he is.

Unfortunately, one of the Weapon critters decided to intervene. It managed to get a volley off, but not before getting a hole in its chest for its trouble. It was a cool twofer: shield goes down, Rufus blows up. Unfortunately, before we could attack Sephiroth, Hojo decides he's going to continue to be a dick and overloads the cannon. Not only that, but Reeve (the Oracle to Gravijah's Batman) gets thrown in prison by Gwah-hah-hah and Kya-hah-hah.

Since it had been a while since we all did anything badass, I took Kagari and Billychu with me and we decided to parachute into Midgar. We traveled through the stanky sewers until we finally get out just in time for Heidegger and Scarlet to somehow sneak by us in a giant fucking robot. We didn't have time for their crap, so I asked Kagari to cast Knights of the Round so we could hurry up. Once that was done, we met up with Hojo and killed him dead. We celebrated Shinra's defeat by having everybody leave the ship and find out what they're fighting for, which left me and ULTROS by ourselves.

After a very subtly implied sexy scene, we go back onto the ship and find out that everyone has come back. Even Dark Schala came back, but tried to play it cool and did a backflip onto the ledge that she's always standing on. After some more cheerful hellos, Billychu flipped a switch and we zoomed off to Disc 3.

I decided that before we head into the big, ominous crater, I should take care of a few things. I KO'd Ultima Weapon (which took me a long time since I didn't know you could cast KotR and have him instantly go to Cosmo Canyon). And since I was collecting Enemy Skills, we headed back to Wutai so Kagari could finally settle things with her father. After a grueling fight (read: waiting for him to cast Trine), they finally made up...and Kagari's father told her to steal our materia again. :|

Right now, my save file is just outside of Gold Saucer and I'm trying to figure out if I want to try doing the Secret Battle stuff, or just head to the Crater.

Aeana

I just picked up FF13 again since I really want to have a completed file on PS3 (have one already on 360, played FF13 there before I got a PS3). I'm up to the Fifth Ark now. My least favorite part of the game is now behind me, and the future is bright-

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aeana, will you be playing FFXIII-2 on PS3 and 360?

Since FFV and FFVI are coming soon, anyone gonna do a FFVI play on PS3/PSP? I'm going for FFV though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fifth Ark usually seems to be the make or break point in FFXIII--some people stay one after, but some people just really dislike the location's design a lot and they put the game down as a result.

That was the point where I almost quit during my English playthrough. I didn't like it much on my Japanese playthrough.

Professor Beef said:
Once that was done, we met up with Hojo and killed him dead. We celebrated Shinra's defeat by having everybody leave the ship and find out what they're fighting for, which left me and ULTROS by ourselves.
You should've taken me along for the Hojo battle for extra dialogue. He's responsible for my dear love's unhappiness and isolation! :p

Aeana

I'll be playing the PS3 version, Ultros.
Dark Schala said:
Fifth Ark usually seems to be the make or break point in FFXIII--some people stay one after, but some people just really dislike the location's design a lot.

That was the point where I almost quit during my English playthrough. I didn't like it much on my Japanese playthrough.
I've heard that, but I have no problems whatsoever with Fifth Ark, personally. What I don't like is the constant party switching before the end of chapter 9. I'm so glad that's over with.

Dark Schala said:
You should've taken me along for the Hojo battle for extra dialogue. He's responsible for my dear love's unhappiness and isolation! :p
Yeah, but he also had sex with her, so I figured bringing you would've been preeeeeetty awkward.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Were you able to get the ultimate weapons for your characters, Beef?

Don't forget ULTROS' ultimate weapon. :D

ULTROS!

Professor Beef said:
yes but you're still a kidnapper

I liked Cait Shit for some reason.

Roto13

I think I'm at the point where all of the C'ieth Missions I have left to do in XIII are hard ones. That's enough for me, I guess. I'm kind of surprised that I played the game for 80 hours. I don't usually spend that much time with games, even RPGs. Of course a lot of that was probably just spent idle on the menu screen while I dicked around on the internet or something. :p

Cait Sith is pronounced nothing like Cait Shit.

Aeana

Working my way through the Fifth Ark. Still not really seeing what's so terrible about it.
That said, good lordy I hate behemoths in this game. When they stand up and heal themselves, I want to cry.

Roto13

The Fifth Ark didn't really bother me so much aside from the super hard boss battle. It's basically like every other part of the game except you have more freedom to develop your characters. (Which is more of a hindrance than a help, really. :p) And after that it's
on to Gran Pulse, which is the best part of the game before the post-game.

Yeah, it's annoying the first few times a behemoth stands up and heals itself until you realize that's it's going to happen pretty much every time and it just becomes a part of the battle. :p

Aeana

Roto13 said:
The Fifth Ark didn't really bother me so much aside from the super hard boss battle. It's basically like every other part of the game except you have more freedom to develop your characters. (Which is more of a hindrance than a help, really. :p) And after that it's
on to Gran Pulse, which is the best part of the game before the post-game.

Yeah, it's annoying the first few times a behemoth stands up and heals itself until you realize that's it's going to happen pretty much every time and it just becomes a part of the battle. :p
I know it's going to happen and I still hate it!
Hated it all the way until the end the last time I played the game. (._. )

Roto13

Just focus on building its stagger meter as much as possible before they change and they'll generally be pretty easy to finish off if you can make it that far. :p

Aeana

Roto13 said:
Just focus on building its stagger meter as much as possible before they change and they'll generally be pretty easy to finish off if you can make it that far. :p
Of course. it just sometimes doesn't work out that way.

Anyway, beat the boss. Easy just like before~

Roto13

It's so lame that Hope only learns Haste at Crystarium level 9. Bah. Sazh is almost a necessary party member before then.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sazh is awesome, though... just because he's the RIC King. Want a quick takedown? Bring Sazh and equip his RIC gear and have him use Cold Blood repeatedly. :3

Professor Beef said:
Yeah, but he also had sex with her, so I figured bringing you would've been preeeeeetty awkward.
Well... Hojo does seem popular with the ladies. What's his secret?!

SihbJ.png

Aeana

Well, cold blood won't be available until many hours ahead of where I am.
Also, man, the Archylte Steppe is so much better when it's not 13 FPS.

Aeana

Professor Beef said:
Ladies love bad boys. I bet if I tried to take over the world right now, I would at least get one phone number.
No matter how bad the boy, I wouldn't go for some creepy super thin dude with stringy hair and a bony face.

jaxword

Not only is Hojo The Bad Boy, he's also rich as hell and famous from running the world's biggest company. Bill Gates could probably pull off the same effect if he walked to a beach.

That's the one thing that Dirge of Cerberus got hilariously right. I remember lots of fan speculation with FF7. How did Hojo get with Lucretia? What did Hojo have over the prettyboy Vincent? Did Hojo rape her? Did he blackmail her? It's gotta be something horribly dramatic!

...Nope, she just liked older guys with status and money.

Seda

I've been playing through Final Fantasy IV: The After Years for some time now, and I've got to say it caught me off guard. I'm really enjoying it. It's not like an absolutely marvelous game or anything like that, but going in with lowered expectations, I really am impressed. Kind of like Final Fantasy IV, the plot is interesting enough to keep me playing, but subdued enough to not bog anything down. The individual tales are short enough to play one fully on a free night, but long enough to add intrigue to the overall package. I've basically been knocking out one chapter a night.

I'm currently just at the beginning of "The Crystals" which is the last chapter of the game (I think).

Aeana

I don't like The After Years primarily because the balance is all over the place. Sometimes it's super super easy, other times enemies are taking most of a character's HP. It's just so dumb.

Roto13

It basically gets stupid hard at the Moon, like in the original FFIV.

I did not appreciate
grinding for the parts to fix Calca and Brina
in Rydia's chapter. That was stupid. And optional, but come on.
Characters that stay dead if you don't grind. That blows.

Seda

Roto13 said:
It basically gets stupid hard at the Moon, like in the original FFIV.

I did not appreciate
grinding for the parts to fix Calca and Brina
in Rydia's chapter. That was stupid. And optional, but come on.
Characters that stay dead if you don't grind. That blows.

I got the whatever part drop on my first fight with those whatever guys. :p

I would say that the game is too easy, like FFIV. So far anyway. The hardest fights are the Challenge Dungeon bosses (the first couple of times through a dungeon) and the rare monsters you fight for tails. With the former, there's a save point right before, so it's not a big deal.

I'm not bothering with grinding for the 'tail' items.

Oh, and Edward's and Porom's Challenge Dungeons were booorrrriiinnnggg. I liked the rest though.

ULTROS!

My problem with After Years is that the content is heavily recycled from the original game (that is, if you played FFIV PSP). Not to mention you go through the same location many times but in different perspectives.

Also, some chapters are too long as compared to the others like Edward's (which has a loooooot of backtracking).

Roto13

I like what they did with Edward in The After Years, though. He's a much more mature and together character than he was in IV. He's still useless in battle but I like him anyway. :p

Mature

So I was watching the Bravely Default trailer the other day and noticed the guy in this picture with the hat:
GLu9y.png

Is "The Adventurer" from FF:4HOL:
AdventurerArt.png

Upon further research (via the FF Wikia):
Although the game has an original title, it is considered a direct successor of The 4 Heroes of Light by its creators.
Having recently beaten 4HOL, this was exciting news to me and something I would expect to be more common knowledge. Did anyone else know about this?

Top Bottom