• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Aeana

Yes, we knew. The initial rumor about the game was that a sequel to 4WoL was coming. Then they showed Bravely Default and we were all like "This is 4WoL 2."

rataven

miladesn said:
http://eldi13.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

someone has made all the logos, including type-0, versus and xiii-2, without text in vector format, these go as big as you want. looks amazing :D
Someone over on Reddit put these to great use:

M8uvIl.jpg

Have thought about doing this in my own office. FF logo art is so pretty.

rataven

Dark Schala said:
That's a great use of the logos. They look so pretty.

'Cept for XIII-2's logo (which isn't pictured). I don't like it much.
Yea, have to agree. It's very awkward.

Have been reading through this guys posts on how he put together the pieces, and seriously thinking of doing this as a winter project. I'd probably swap out the X-2 and XIII logos for IV Kain and the V dragon though.

Thread can be found here if anyone is interested.

I managed to beat the Secret Battle in Battle Square, and it was easier than I thought it would be, even with my HP/MP cut in half. Although I nearly got killed by Proud Clod since Omnislash was only doing 3k a slash. :|

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
rataven said:
Someone over on Reddit put these to great use:

M8uvIl.jpg

Have thought about doing this in my own office. FF logo art is so pretty.

That's exactly what I'd like to do in my room!

Btw I just updated the interface of my FF's collection blog, I think it looks prettier now and easier to navigate.

I love so much the FFXIII-2's logo...

Shadow780

Now that I looked at it, FFVII's logo is pretty crappy compare to others. It was on point but lack some polish. Amano working out that anger being replaced. :p

Muskweeto

I remember when I first started playing FFVII, I thought the logo was supposed to be a giant Midgar on a small planet, signifying the influence the city had on the rest of the world. When I got further in the story I realized what it really was.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got FFV, I'm currently in the Walz tower and the boss is slightly annoying (kills can reach 1-2 shots if I don't get cured).

Hope some of you picked up FFV PSN. :p

Labadal

I got FFV, I'm currently in the Walz tower and the boss is slightly annoying (kills can reach 1-2 shots if I don't get cured).

Hope some of you picked up FFV PSN. :p

The SNES games on PSN have awful load times, imho. I made an exception for FFVI, since it's my all time favorite game and I can now play it on my PSP. (Don't have a GBA, would have been the better portable version.)

Famassu

So the loading times aren't fixed AT ALL by playing the PSN versions of the SNES FFs?

That makes me a sad Umaro. :( Was thinking of picking up V & VI, will probably skip them now.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Hey, the loadings are not that bad. :p

Although I've experienced weird graphical glitches that like this when I save in the world map on my PSP:

sotn_screen_glitch3.jpg

Glad I picked up FF V off of PSN today. Not really my favorite version of FF V, but I don't have a GBA anymore so I don't really have much choice. Also had to because I lost my original FF V disk. Spent hours looking for the damn thing to no avail. So far it looks surprisingly nice on my TV. The text is particularly crisp for some reason. Only downside is the fade out when leaving battles. But compared to Chrono Trigger and FF VI this is the best of the PS1 FF ports imo.

ULTROS!

Yay, I'm not alone.

Roto13

I have PS1 FFV because, at the time, it was the only official way to play it in English. I certainly wouldn't buy it again.

It would be nice if V got as many rereleases and ports at IV. It's the one that really needs them.

Chris R

Going to make VIII my next FF to beat (never beaten II, III, IV, VIII and I guess X-2 if we are counting that).

I remember people talking about needing to keep you levels low and use cards and other GF abilities instead of playing the game like a normal FF. Anyone have a guide I could look to for pointers for this kinda play style?

Also, going to try to play this on my phone (fpse emulator on Android)... here is hoping it goes well :D I already ripped the disc into an ISO but for some reason the framerate isn't that great, and I need to figure out how to get a controller to work with it.

If I can't get it working well I'll just buy a freaking Vita and play it on that :<

I remember people talking about needing to keep you levels low and use cards and other GF abilities instead of playing the game like a normal FF. Anyone have a guide I could look to for pointers for this kinda play style?

It's not necessary or required at all to beat the game at a low level, but if you really want to do it: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197343-final-fantasy-viii/faqs/19814

It's from 2002, so I don't know if there's a newer one yet.

Azuran

Banned
Just managed to play through the entire series for the first time from start to finish. I want everyone to know that those were probably the best 5 months of life. I can't believe I never play any of those games a lot earlier.

Now I'm sad because I have nothing left to play. Well, I might as well platinum XIII while I wait for the sequel.

IX > IV > VII > VI > X > XIII > V > VIII > III > I > II

Going to make VIII my next FF to beat (never beaten II, III, IV, VIII and I guess X-2 if we are counting that).

Personally I don't recommend playing like that. Turning every enemy into a card is an incredibly tedious way to play it and would suck a lot of the fun out of it. Especially if it is your first time playing. On my eighth or so playthrough recently I leveled up as much as I wanted and had a lot of fun with the challenge that it added. FF VIII is an odd beast of a game with so many different ways to play it can be daunting. Fortunately the game has an incredibly fleshed out tutorial system that teaches you how to play. It even has a series of true/false tests that teach you a some of the more obscure stuff. Basically its unlike any FF game out there and you kind of have to discover your own way to play it from experience.

Also FF X-2 is awesome. Particularly with FF X fresh on your memory. Don't let some of the cheeziness of the themes in the game scare you away. Amazing battle system and almost completely non-linear.

ULTROS!

The only thing I liked about FFX-2 was the Koda Kumi JP intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjYO9Ug9FLM

Yes I'm proud to say I bought FFX-2 just for the intro. &#9834; &#9835;WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU&#9834; &#9835;

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I was playing around today with the idea of an SNES FF-clone type game, with little hints back to its FF roots.

Brief character sketches I did:

group.jpg

Can you tell which characters represent which classes? The right hand one might be difficult to guess... need more red on her final design.

(Note: not actually planning on making a game. I just like playing around with game ideas once and awhile.)

LOL when you posted this I had no idea what you were talking about. Just saw that monster last night while playing FF V PS1. Can't believe they spelled Wyvern like that. Also saw a squid monster called Soccer in the water canal. Perhaps they meant to say Sucker? But overall I don't really mind the translation that much...besides maybe Faris's obnoxious pirate lingo. But it's either me playing an untranslated SFC version or this, so I don't really have a choice.

ULTROS!

For some reason, I couldn't get into the battle system. Although the last time I played the game was 4 years ago. I'll probably get around it when I clear up my backlog.

Aeana

For some reason, I couldn't get into the battle system. Although the last time I played the game was 4 years ago. I'll probably get around it when I clear up my backlog.

You probably just didn't understand how it's awesome.
When you try it again, post here and I'll show you the light!!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Final Fantasy X-2 ranks as one of my favourite Final Fantasy games. The battle system is fantastic and super-fun, the way the job system is implemented was really smart, there are a ton of quests available to the player, and Sphere Break is great (though Triple Triad remains my favourite FF minigame ever). The International extras with the monster rearing was fun as well. :D

And I really liked the soundtrack. real Emotion is one of my guilty pleasures. Heck, I like a lot of the vocal CDs released for FFX-2; the Yuna one being my favourite. It really is too bad that Matsueda left game composition due to a lot of the stress that came with the FFX-2 soundtrack... with players' reception towards it being the last straw. :/

ULTROS--you must try FFX-2 again. It is awesome.

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Lissar/group.jpg[IMG]

Can you tell which characters represent which classes? The right hand one might be difficult to guess... need more red on her final design.[/QUOTE]
White Mage, Black Mage, Fighter and Red Mage? You kind of gave the right one away. :P

Oh I definitely got these wrong. Ah well.

Chris R

Personally I don't recommend playing like that. Turning every enemy into a card is an incredibly tedious way to play it and would suck a lot of the fun out of it. Especially if it is your first time playing. On my eighth or so playthrough recently I leveled up as much as I wanted and had a lot of fun with the challenge that it added. FF VIII is an odd beast of a game with so many different ways to play it can be daunting. Fortunately the game has an incredibly fleshed out tutorial system that teaches you how to play. It even has a series of true/false tests that teach you a some of the more obscure stuff. Basically its unlike any FF game out there and you kind of have to discover your own way to play it from experience.

Also FF X-2 is awesome. Particularly with FF X fresh on your memory. Don't let some of the cheeziness of the themes in the game scare you away. Amazing battle system and almost completely non-linear.

I guess I'll try playing the game the "regular" way and see how it goes. "Breaking" the junction system and carding a ton of enemies sounds like a fun way to play though.

I'll probably play X-2 after I beat FFX in HD whenever it gets released. I make it through like 1 chapter of the game, but only rented it a few times, never bought it (same with FFVIII until I got it on PSN and then bought the game on discs too).

I guess I'll try playing the game the "regular" way and see how it goes. "Breaking" the junction system and carding a ton of enemies sounds like a fun way to play though.

I'll probably play X-2 after I beat FFX in HD whenever it gets released. I make it through like 1 chapter of the game, but only rented it a few times, never bought it (same with FFVIII until I got it on PSN and then bought the game on discs too).

I thought you were talking about the low level challenge where you make an effort to only card enemies to get no exp. That is a boring and frustrating way to play imo, but by all means card as many enemies as you can. Its a great way to get items which can then be modded into spells. I rarely ever had to draw my spells because of the card and item mods.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
White Mage, Black Mage, Fighter and Red Mage? You kind of gave the right one away. :p

Oh I definitely got these wrong. Ah well.

Ding ding! Pretty obvious. I kind of meant to give that one away or else no one would probably notice. So generic, ah well.

ULTROS!

I'm halfway through FFV PS1 and if they keep the dialogue translation in the remake of the game with voiceovers, the game will be akin to Star Ocean 4 retardation.

Aeana

I'm halfway through FFV PS1 and if they keep the dialogue translation in the remake of the game with voiceovers, the game will be akin to Star Ocean 4 retardation.

They didn't even keep the PSX translation in the GBA version. The GBA version's translation is excellent.

They didn't even keep the PSX translation in the GBA version. The GBA version's translation is excellent.

"Looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!"

"With cheese biscuits and mashed potatoes!"

You can really tell they had a fun time doing the dialog in the GBA version.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Who did the localization for the GBA version? It was really fun to read through while playing. :D

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh... IT IS MORPHING TIME!"

Gilgamesh: I suppose I misjudged! *casts Haste* Fighting all four of you... *casts Protect* ...is just too tough for me... *casts Shell* ...NOT! Ha, I lied! Like a rug! Oh, I kill me!

Alta1r

Oh snap! I didn't realize there was a thread for this here. I used to go apeshit over Final Fantasy games ever since I played VII all those years back, reading up on any news, rumors, etc I could find and eagerly anticipating every release date. Now it's still one of my favorite franchises but it's taken somewhat of a backseat. That being said, I think VII is, and will always remain, my favorite as it was my first into the series. After that, I like VI and XIII. XII was pretty good and so was X. I wasn't a big fan of VIII or IX though.

Aeana

Who did the localization for the GBA version? It was really fun to read through while playing. :D

"Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh... IT IS MORPHING TIME!"

Gilgamesh: I suppose I misjudged! *casts Haste* Fighting all four of you... *casts Protect* ...is just too tough for me... *casts Shell* ...NOT! Ha, I lied! Like a rug! Oh, I kill me!

Translator - Erin M. Ellis
Localization Support - Tom Slattery
Editor - Colin Williamson

They've all had experience with many other SE games.

ULTROS!

I find the soldiers' dialogue about X-Death cute:

Soldier: I hate him!!!
Soldier: That jerk!
Soldier: I'm so mad at him!!!

Top Bottom