• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Golnei

Was checking out Distant Worlds ticketing from my home country and holy shit RM684/ticket hahahaha.

That's about USD215 per ticket.

edit: There's no way that price can be right. Previous shows were RM300, tops. (Which is still quite ridiculous but at least in the realm of believability)

Such amazing customer service - it's like they sell directly from scalpers to you.

Falk

that puzzling face
So I'm about a couple hours of grinding away from Iron Giant on FFIII/Steam and it just really hit me how the DS version is neutered since it's now impossible to unlock ??? Dungeon with online capability gone.

Heck I know half of the issue is Nintendo just not being able to grasp basic concepts of why the Internet and digital distribution is awesome (Found out only last month that 3DS digital purchases are good for one 3DS unit, what the fuck is that) but really, it's such a shame.

Goes back to my point about Steam being, although woefully incomplete, the most reliable archive-friendly version of the games in the franchise wherever applicable. (I don't foresee Steam going under any time soon and even if it did, well, PC community etc)

Jucksalbe

Banned
Pretty sure you can still unlock the DS bonus stuff via local wireless communication.
And I see retail releases as a lot more "archive-friendly" than Steam releases.

Falk

that puzzling face
I've always dreamt about putting together a machine hooked up to a TV that literally was nothing but emulators from all the discontinued systems with as-complete-libraries of games as possible. Never actually went through with it due to time though. Also seems like it'd be easier to bring around than a warehouse full of shit.

Then again every single audio CD I legally own (believe me there's a lot) fits neatly on one 2TB external in lossless so maybe that's where my bias towards digital storage comes from.

Wazzy

Banned
Okay I'm a little stuck in Persona 3. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do since the objective isn't as clear as P4.

Do I explore Tartarus until a story event happens or will a story event happen if I just keep doing my own thing like grinding and working on S.links?

I'm pretty much at the beginning of the game and I've made it to floor 10. I trust y'all since I know you've played it.

I really want to figure this out so I can play X-2 and FF VIII PC after. xD

Okay I'm a little stuck in Persona 3. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do since the objective isn't as clear as P4.

Do I explore Tartarus until a story event happens or will a story event happen if I just keep doing my own thing like grinding and working on S.links?

I'm pretty much at the beginning of the game and I've made it to floor 10. I trust y'all since I know you've played it.

In P3 you basically dungeon crawl/gain EXP or do Social Links until a predetermined day when you're force to fight a boss.

EDIT: May 9th, for example, will be your first "Full Moon Operation," which is in-game speak for a boss battle.

What I liked to do was go up Tartarus until I wasn't allowed to go any further, and then do social links for the rest of the month till a boss and/or story happens.

Seda

What I liked to do was go up Tartarus until I wasn't allowed to go any further, and then do social links for the rest of the month till a boss and/or story happens.

Yep, although sometimes characters getting sick forced me to break up my Tartarus runs in more nights than I would've liked.

SougoXIII

Yep, although sometimes characters getting sick forced me to break up my Tartarus runs in more nights than I would've liked.

If i remembered correctly, there's no real consequences to them to carrying on even if they're sick. I just force them to man up and climbed another 200F.

Seda

If i remembered correctly, there's no real consequences to them to carrying on even if they're sick. I just force them to man up and climbed another 200F.

I don't remember the exact specifics of tired/sick statuses, but I remember it made battles trickier with more misses and knockdowns and whatnot, so I opted to avoid it. I do remember you can use the nurses office to improve social stats for the protagonist if they are sick or tired though, with no time cost.

CorvoSol

I'd love to see an adaption of that story if I didn't think they'd fuck it up somehow.

"We're introducing this elf maiden who Tolkien never wrote about and also the concept of prostitution to make her an elf prostitute in the capital city. We think that this will enhance the story and let us show you naughty bits! It's a mature and adult adaptation for a mature and adult time."

I just treated it like P4 in that sense. The first day I could take my party I would go as high up in the place as possible and call it good, SLinking until Elizabeth/Theo told me to go back in and save someone.

Tired - This condition marks that a character is performing below average.
A character becomes tired after Full Moon Operations or by participating in too many battles inside Tartarus. The Protagonist can become tired himself if he draws the "very worst luck" fortune in the shrine. While Tired, a character is more likely to miss, takes more damage, has trouble recovering when knocked down, and will leave the party if taken to the first floor.

Sick - A Sick character takes longer time to recover from being knocked down, will be more susceptible to status changes, and the protagonist cannot study at night. Also all stats, attacks, and spells effects are lowered significantly. He can still visit Mr. Edogawa during the day. This status changes to Good if the character sleeps early. Characters other than the protagonist will return to good after roughly a week of not visiting Tartarus. Sick characters can still go to Tartarus in Sick condition, but they will get tired fast.

Style

Banned

Just reach the highest floor possible in one run and then do social links until the next full moon.

The party members can't get sick or tired inside Tartarus in Persona 3 Portable. It will take effect once you leave Tartarus.

Koriandrr

Ah, I only played FES.

That's like watching the Matrix 2 without watching 1.
Seriously, highly recommend playing P3 and I have no idea why people keep playing FES before P3, when the stories are VERY tightly connected, the events happen more or less one after another and P3 is first :(

Jucksalbe

Banned
Seriously, highly recommend playing P3 and I have no idea why people keep playing FES before P3, when the stories are VERY tightly connected, the events happen more or less one after another and P3 is first :(

What are you talking about? FES includes the complete game of P3. Are you maybe only thinking of the "The Answer" portion of the game?

Style

Banned

FES is the expanded version of Persona 3 with more content. It is basically Persona 3 plus some more.

Koriandrr

You sure guys? :(

Back when I played it, which is more or less when it came out it was just after the events of P3 and with Aigis for main char. I am aware that they started selling them in a bundle together after that....

It is 'The Answer', but I thought this is what FES is.

EDIT: I asked my friend who played 'fes' and he said it was with Aigis, not with the P3 main char. I was pretty mad at him for playing that before P3, it really doesn't make sense :x

Style

Banned
You sure guys? :(

Back when I played it, which is more or less when it came out it was just after the events of P3 and with Aigis for main char. I am aware that they started selling them in a bundle together after that....

It is 'The Answer', but I thought this is what FES is.

The base game of Persona 3 has always been in FES as "The Journey". You get the option to play "The Journey" or "The Answer" when you start a new game.

CorvoSol

The party members can't get sick or tired inside Tartarus in Persona 3 Portable. It will take effect once you leave Tartarus.

Main dude can get tired if you don't go to bed on time the day after Tartarus, but I never really saw anybody leave the party due to exhaustion in P3P. Kinda like I only ever managed to pull off one SLink reverse in P3P.

Style

Banned
I think going to the bathroom is good advice for everyone

Thanks, I'd rather not think about the consequences otherwise.

ipMm3UvHeyApf.png

Seems like we've got confirmation that FFX/X-2 HD vastly outsold LR:FFXIII worldwide. There's basically no way they'll refuse to make FFXII:IZJS HD... right?

SougoXIII

Tired - This condition marks that a character is performing below average.
A character becomes tired after Full Moon Operations or by participating in too many battles inside Tartarus. The Protagonist can become tired himself if he draws the "very worst luck" fortune in the shrine. While Tired, a character is more likely to miss, takes more damage, has trouble recovering when knocked down, and will leave the party if taken to the first floor.

Sick - A Sick character takes longer time to recover from being knocked down, will be more susceptible to status changes, and the protagonist cannot study at night. Also all stats, attacks, and spells effects are lowered significantly. He can still visit Mr. Edogawa during the day. This status changes to Good if the character sleeps early. Characters other than the protagonist will return to good after roughly a week of not visiting Tartarus. Sick characters can still go to Tartarus in Sick condition, but they will get tired fast.

See, those thing sounds like it's something serious but I honestly don't notice any difference. I guess I must be grinding pretty hard anyways if I were to complete one section of Tartarus in one night.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Seems like we've got confirmation that FFX/X-2 HD vastly outsold LR:FFXIII worldwide. There's basically no way they'll refuse to make FFXII:IZJS HD... right?

Remember Hashimoto and Chrono Trigger? Buy more if you want another Chrono game? And if you do you won't get one anyway?

Wazzy

Banned

We can only hope.

I'm not biggest fan of XII but I would love to replay it on portable and enjoy the zodiac system.

Remember Hashimoto and Chrono Trigger? Buy more if you want another Chrono game? And if you do you won't get one anyway?

I think that'd be an appropriate metaphor if it were about getting a whole new FFX-3 to happen instead of about getting another comparatively-low-development-cost HD remaster to happen.

Falk

that puzzling face
I think that'd be an appropriate metaphor if it were about getting a whole new FFX-3 to happen instead of about getting another comparatively-low-development-cost HD remaster to happen.

What if I told you the only acceptable HD remaster treatment for the soundtrack that would do it justice was a full live orchestral recording?

Squire

Banned

If they announce it next year, they can aim to have it out for XIIs tenth anniversary.

I think it's more than likely it's already in production. They probably always planned to do X, X-2, and XII.

It wouldn't even surprise me if Matsuno is contributing some sort of original content to it.

Apoptomon

They lost the original data? How? is it just a matter of recording onto obsolete media or did they actively delete/write over it or are they just bad at archiving/storage?
( I would really like a XII remaster)

CorvoSol

For it to be an apt comparison it would be to ask for a sequel to FFVIII and being told you have to buy more at a time when no versions of FFVIII are being sold anywhere.

Because that's what it was. "Buy more Chrono Trigger. Which we haven't released since PSX."

Ultratech

They lost the original data? How? is it just a matter of recording onto obsolete media or did they actively delete/write over it or are they just bad at archiving/storage?
( I would really like a XII remaster)

They don't have tons of room to hold on to stuff a lot of the time.

Storage space can be costly and when you're working on tons of games (amongst other things), you can only realistically hold on to that stuff for so long.

Source code and related materials getting destroyed over time is nothing new in the game business.

For everyone playing P3: Remember to go to the bathroom every day, you'll feel so refreshed!

Some of the best advice ever.

I think going to the bathroom is good advice for everyone

Agreed.

Hopefully not. I really really want HD XII

Yeah, I really want to play an HD Zodiac Job system version of Final Fantasy XII. I don't remember if it was in the original release, but could you skip cut scenes? The appeal of an HD Final Fantasy XII, for me would not be to relive the story, but to just exploring that that specific era of Ivalice again. Also, giving all the characters actual jobs. Honestly I barely remember the story when I first played it. Though I recall the voice acting to be top notch.

Sanpunkan

Prior to E3 this year I recall reading a few posts by an "insider" on GAF regarding FFXV's advanced development progress. I guess there was talk about possibly disclosing release dates sometime this year (I'd assume Japanese only). The insider was also very positive on FFXV appearing at this E3. We know how that turned out...

Maybe it's the language barrier but SE doesn't seem to be as leaky as other studios in Western countries. Obviously, if the insider was being truthful, something big changed after having gained that information. I'm assuming the game is in FFXIII-style development hell now. I'm curious if there is more knowledge about the game's status other than "please be patient".

Top Bottom