• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY Community Thread: XV Mainline Entries and Counting

Messiah

YES! It's crazy, but the music really goes a long way to helping it. The game channels a lot of emotion through it and it equally cements the thrill of the action sequences and boss fights.

I'm 20 hours in at the start of Chapter 10. It's enjoyable. I still want SE to make games better than this, but in the future I suspect we'll look back on XIII a bit like we do VIII.

I really liked XIII and the OST is probably one of my favourite game OSTs of all time.
That said, I think the game failed to really live up to the OST sometimes. I was really disappointed when dust to dust played but
Vanille and Fang didn't really react shocked or sad that their home was completely destroyed. The song was just screaming dramatic cutscene imminent imo. So that left me a little bit disappointed

I did not like XIII-2 that much, but the music is pretty good too. Really like the unorthodox music compared to mainline FF's

I am playing through Lightning Returns right now and I am having a lot of fun. Would recommend picking it up for a decent discount if you can deal with XIII-2-esque cheesiness.

Squire

Banned
Honestly, it's a game that's very easy to bask in. I sometimes walk in the game as slow as possible and look around everywhere with the camera. The animation is great, and the combination of art and music are so above and beyond everything else that it feels so good to play.

But yeah, reading positive impressions on XIII makes me want to look at it more positively as well. That's how it is with a lot of games.

It is. I'm not sure what I think of the overall art direction, but the characters all look good and it is so damn pretty. I know I spent a lot of extra time in the lobby at Nautilus and on the beach in Bhodum. It's a nice ride. It's pleasant.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point about positivity, too. I liked FFIX so much, I guess my cold heart warmed up some and I just wanted to play XIII again. It is fun to play and I always knew that, really, since when I finished it the first time I played like ~30 more hours of it, hunting monsters and building gear and developing everybody's roles.

There are things about the so-called Lightning fandom that I continue to dislike, but they aren't really represented in FFXIII, itself.

I really liked XIII and the OST is probably one of my favourite game OSTs of all time.
That said, I think the game failed to really live up to the OST sometimes. I was really disappointed when dust to dust played but
Vanille and Fang didn't really react shocked or sad that their home was completely destroyed. The song was just screaming dramatic cutscene imminent imo. So that left me a little bit disappointed

I did not like XIII-2 that much, but the music is pretty good too. Really like the unorthodox music compared to mainline FF's

I am playing through Lightning Returns right now and I am having a lot of fun. Would recommend picking it up for a decent discount if you can deal with XIII-2-esque cheesiness.

Agreed. Seeing them again, I think the characters get their feelings across pretty well, but are held back by the actual writing. There are good emotional moments and conflicts, but they and particularly Vanille's narration feel like a first pass at a screenplay. But the music that backs this stuff is always just so excellent.

I always thought XIII-2 was rather enjoyable, if nothing more. I'll probably revisit that too though. I want to play LR to say I have, but I'm not sure when I will. I know I don't want to pay too much for it.

Messiah

I always thought XIII-2 was rather enjoyable, if nothing more. I'll probably revisit that too though. I want to play LR to say I have, but I'm not sure when I will. I know I don't want to pay too much for it.

I liked it as a game. But the story was all over the place. Absolutely not the direction I wanted it to take.

The thing that bugs me about FFXIII is the potential though. It could've been so much better, it teases all those great ideas and themes and then they are just not implemented into the game as well as they could have been.

Squire

Banned
I liked it as a game. But the story was all over the place. Absolutely not the direction I wanted it to take.

The thing that bugs me about FFXIII is the potential though. It could've been so much better, it teases all those great ideas and themes and then they are just not implemented into the game as well as they could have been.

That's really what I think it is. A collection of good, maybe even great fundamental ideas marred by poor execution.

A story of mostly strangers literally thrown together by fate - a fate they seemingly have no chance of subverting - should be brilliant. In the hands of someone else, it might've been.

Edit: Oh you meant XIII-2!

Yeah, that whole story is just contrived silliness.

Turin

Banned
FFXIII on it's own seemed like a well made game(I didn't finish it) but it wasn't what a lot of people wanted from a Final Fantasy.

Besides that, I think the tone and style of FFXIII didn't click with a lot of people(myself included).

I do think it's good that some people got to enjoy it.

Wazzy

Banned
That's good to hear. P3's a pretty awesome game.
(You've probably still got some awesome stuff left to go.)

4 Heroes of Light is also pretty good. Definitely loved the vibe that game had going.
Especially the load screen, since it shows all the cool stuff you've accomplished so far.

I've just made the important decision in the game and now I'm on the 6th block! Things have been getting crazier and crazier. I love it.

I remember liking 4 heroes but stopped at one point because of other games. I believe when you get mini'd.

Style

Banned
I've just made the important decision in the game and now I'm on the 6th block! Things have been getting crazier and crazier. I love it.

I remember liking 4 heroes but stopped at one point because of other games. I believe when you get mini'd.

That means that you have reached January, right? The change in tone and music around that month is awesome!

Wazzy

Banned
Nah, Koromaru has the same Persona throughout the whole game.

I like his but that kind of sucks. :( Ah well. Thanks!

I'm going to try and beat the game tonight or at least by tomorrow so I'll update with impressions in the Persona community thread!

Style

Banned
On the subject of Final Fantasy XIII, it was a decent game that had its moments. The soundtrack was pretty good though.

I like his but that kind of sucks. :( Ah well. Thanks!

I'm going to try and beat the game tonight or at least by tomorrow so I'll update with impressions in the Persona community thread!

Awesome, looking forward to it! Always interesting to see what people think of the ending the first time they go through it.

They did after
you beat the tower's boss
http://youtu.be/N17bsMzutY0?t=32m42s unless you mean while they were there.

Dust To Dust is one of my favorite FFXIII tracks. I believe the track was used once before when Fang meet Light.

Step

So I'm kinda bored and I feel like buying a FF game, Should I buy Lightning returns(I like FFXIII saga) or FFX/X-2(I have never played it)?

So I'm kinda bored and I feel like buying a FF game, Should I buy Lightning returns(I like FFXIII saga) or FFX/X-2(I have never played it)?

If you wanna see how see saga ends, liked the demo, and like Light, go for LR.

If you want to experience a main FF again go for FFX/X-2

Squire

Banned
They did after
you beat the tower's boss
http://youtu.be/N17bsMzutY0?t=32m42s unless you mean while they were there.

Dust To Dust is one of my favorite FFXIII tracks. I believe the track was used once before when Fang meet Light.

Yeah, the first time you hear it is after Fang explains her situation to Lightning.

Dust to Dust and Ruined Hometown (the XIII-2 Oerba music) were both heart-wrenching.

My favorites on the XIII-2 OST are Invisible Invaders and Starting Over. Run is really good, too.

And the vocals themes (Kimi ga iru Kara and Eternal Love in XIII, New World in XIII-2) are also excellent.

The music is all really good, as stated.

Finally 1000/1000 Lightning Returns:

aeronitebyuai.jpg

The whole trilogy: 1000/1000.

ff13_10009jusc.jpg

ff13-2_1000qyuft.jpg

ff13-3_1000d4uvd.jpg

It took me nearly 300 hours!

ff13_hoursssuo3.jpg

ff13-2_hoursgvugp.jpg

ff13-3_hoursc1uc3.jpg

Thank you very much for those 300 hours, Square. I had a blast. Now bring it on with FINAL FANTASY 15!

This also brings the total number of FF games that I've finished up to 20! :

Code:
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy II
	- Final Fantasy II : Soul of Rebirth
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XII : Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XIII-3 : Lightning Returns
Final Fantasy : Crystal Chronicles
Final Fantasy : Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 : Grimoire of The Rift

Messiah

FFX is my favourite Final Fantasy, can't go wrong with that if you liked FFXIII imo. You probably should try the demo of LR before deciding.

If you like the FF13 saga then FF13-3 is a no brainer. Hunt it down for $30-$40 it is easily worth that kind of money (60+ hours to 100%).

And you get the true Caius/ Noel/ Yeul ending as a bonus in an incredibly long and interesting CGI.

+ music
+ the world is interesting
+ music
+ time limit
+ music
+ story - if you really pay attention to it and read every single Datalog
+ music
+ battle system (best one since FF12)
+ music
+ no grinding
+ music!
+ equipment/ ability/ dress system

- time limit
- no grinding
- only 4 maps... lowest in any FF game ever
- smallest world in FF history
- only 3 dungeons (yes... incredibly low amount - what were they thinking?!?) + a bonus one

Step

Till this day the time limit still pisses me off and always holds me to buy it, I just called the only store and the were out of stock of Lightning returns so FFX was the only option haha, I'll ask them next week to see if they have lightning again.

Watching your post with the 3 of them 100% made me want to 100% the saga myself too, And I did my part buying the X/X-2 remaster so I hope Square delivers with FFXII HD Soon.

Messiah

Till this day the time limit still pisses me off and always holds me to buy it, I just called the only store and the were out of stock of Lightning returns so FFX was the only option haha, I'll ask them next week to see if they have lightning again.

Watching your post with the 3 of them 100% made me want to 100% the saga myself too, And I did my part buying the X/X-2 remaster so I hope Square delivers with FFXII HD Soon.

You will not regret it. Have you played FFX before?

The time limit is no problem at all in Lightning Returns. I was worried too, but it turned out fine.

Heropon

- only 4 maps... lowest in any FF game ever
- smallest world in FF history
- only 3 dungeons (yes... incredibly low amount - what were they thinking?!?) + a bonus one

I didn't know about this. Now I feel even less bad for not buying it at half price during those extremely juicy deals last month.

After replaying FF7 last year, the chosen game this summer was IX. It was as good as always and I wasn't too bothered by the slow battles thanks to a not too annoying encounter rate. The only thing I liked a bit less than before was the Chocobo Hot & Cold minigame, it seems that my tolerance to random things is decreasing as my age increases, I don't like wasting time getting antidotes!

For the people here that followed the anniversary thread, this time I killed Ozma for good in my first try so I could also complete a mission of vengeance.

Fou-Lu

I'm about to play Final Fantasy 12 IZJS for the first time and my question is, what should I do for job combinations? I think I will make Vaan a monk, it makes his open chested garb make more sense, but aside from that...

CorvoSol

I'm about to play Final Fantasy 12 IZJS for the first time and my question is, what should I do for job combinations? I think I will make Vaan a monk, it makes his open chested garb make more sense, but aside from that...

Make sure somebody has a job class that can wield spears or else the most powerful weapon in the game will be kinda pointless.

Ultratech

Well that's lame. Axes never get powerful weapon status. Makes me sad it does.

Axes are weird in FFXII, since they roll random damage based on Vit.

So they can do ridiculous damage or hardly anything at all.

Plus, if you're doing IZJS, you get access to the secret super-weapons.

Falk

that puzzling face
Lexaeus' weapon in kingdom hearts really should have been at the end of a pole so it'd be a spearaxeswordhammer, not just a axeswordhammer

edit: For people not familiar with KH
20090520042957!Lexaeus_KHD.png

edit2: Damnit, it'd be more of a polearm and not a spear then. Foiled.

Noi

Lexaeus has the sin of having the goofiest weapon in the whole organization. A pole really would make it better, but those colors are still wack.

Falk

that puzzling face
If you turned the blade bit around you could make the argument that it functions as a tap. Somehow.

Falk

that puzzling face
Depends what you mean by best. Many of Nomura's designs are amazing just because of how impractical they'd actually be outside of a fantasy setting.

Caius takes the cake in the "biggest sword" villain dickwagglin contest. If Sephiroth had been using that sword, forget a simply dead Aeris, there'd be Aeris kibbles all over the room.

Top Bottom