• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VI GBA Preview - 1up

Angelcurio

Havent seen this posted yet:

Final Fantasy VI GBA Preview

Final Fantasy III is one of the most fondly-regarded RPGs of the 16-bit era, even if Square's formerly convoluted naming conventions for its flagship series leave some gamers confused about what game that actually is. So forgive us if we've bludgeoned to death the point that last month's remake of Final Fantasy III for DS was not the same Final Fantasy III that fans were enjoying 12 years ago. It bears repeating.

Final Fantasy VI Advance, however, is that game. All the familiar touchstones are here: Kefkas and Espers and Morphs, oh my. It's your standard Final Fantasy Advance creation, offering Super NES content in the GBA format, with new content to compensate for the inevitable compromises.

And FFVI may in fact be the best Advance remake to date -- even though it actually looks the least impressive. The good news is that none of Final Fantasy IV Advance's battle system bugs are present, and the slowdown that often plagued Final Fantasy V Advance is rarely seen, even in large-scale sequences like the defense of Narshe (in which three parties of heroes battle a dozen on-screen groups of foes). But unlike its predecessors, none of the graphics have been redrawn, not even the battle backgrounds. The sound quality has taken a more noticeable hit. And the added content is more modest in scope: just some new summoned beasts, an extra dungeon, a few ultimate weapons (and Weapons).

But maybe that's OK. In the minds of many U.S. gamers, FFVI is one of the finest games ever, a work of of such excellence that drastic improvements aren't necessary. And while it may not have been the best of the 2D Final Fantasies, it was certainly the most impressive -- the link between the series' old and new eras. Sure, it looked like the a prettier version of the first five Final Fantasies, but it also paved the way for Final Fantasy VII and everything that came after with its emphasis on story and characters, its simplified skill system (drastically reducing the overall difficulty), its visual overkill and its enormous number of optional quests in the second half.

So it's true that the graphics aren't tweaked, but since it looked so much better than its predecessors to begin with, newcomers probably won't even notice. And yeah, the music sounds off -- the famous opera house sequence really hurts to hear -- but the music in the original game was a notch above anything else on the system, pushing the amazing Super NES sound chip to its absolute limits. Even scaled back, it still sounds excellent.

The fundamental gameplay, as always, remains untouched -- players control a party of up to four warriors (drawn from a pool of more than a dozen), each of whom has a special ability. These range from fairly useless (Celes' Rune Blade, which nullifies most magic, both good and bad) to highly practical (Sabin's Blitzes, Street Fighter-style combo commands that hit for high damage) to the ridiculously flexible (Gau's Rages allow him to master the powers of more than 100 enemies) to the stupidly overpowered (Terra's Morph, which makes her far and away the most devastating character in the game).

Initially, only a tiny handful of characters can learn magic, but eventually everyone gets their hands on Magicite stones which allow them to train as mages under each stone's corresponding Esper (and permanently boost various statistics, too). By the end of the game, it's almost too simple to turn your party into a team of invincible god-like beings; a canny player can wipe out the final boss in a single turn without excessive leveling up. Fortunately, the game's massive world has enough to explore and accomplish that the lack of difficulty isn't particularly damning; and in any case, some of the new bonus content is reputed to be daunting enough to satisfy even the hardcore.

FFVIA's new material is almost entirely fanservice, including favorite Espers (FFVIII's Jumbo Cactuar and a certain dimension-travelling seeker of legendary weapons among them), the obligatory Omega Weapon battle and the first-ever appearance of the Kaiser Dragon, an infamous monster originally intended for the game's SNES outing but ultimately cut, though left hidden in the game data.

As for the English version, word has it that Square Enix is mostly sticking with the game's original localization -- a sensible enough decision, since FFVI is unique among older Final Fantasies in having been graced with an English script that was neither disastrous (FFIV) nor insulting (FFV). But it won't be a simple rehash; memory limitations reportedly forced the SNES team to cut roughly half of the game's Japanese script, and everything previously lost will be restored on GBA. Although the decision not to completely overhaul the dialogue will inevitably rankle some of the game's more frothing fanatics, the resulting balance between fidelity and nostalgia should offer the full depth of the story with the charming personality of the fan-favorite translation.

In any case, Nintendo is perfectly frank about its desire to put the GBA to pasture -- so FFVIA's February 2007 date will likely mark the last great release for the stalwart handheld's long and impressive run.

Link: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3155662

The bolded part was actually my biggest fear -_-

Square Enix, port this to any portable with a decent sound system (DS, PSP) :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
At least it sounds like another bug-free and competent TOSE port. Surprising actually, thought they'd mess this one up yet the only thing they downgraded what the one thing that they really had to, the sound.

mikeGFG

Banned
Nintendo is perfectly frank about its desire to put the GBA to pasture -- so FFVIA's February 2007 date will likely mark the last great release for the stalwart handheld's long and impressive run.

And what a way to go out.

MoxManiac

Well the music sounded okay from the youtube videos. Different, but okay.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit about the opera scene?

FFVI is all about Ultros, baby.

Angelcurio

MoxManiac said:
Well the music sounded okay from the youtube videos. Different, but okay.

Yes. You dont deserve the right to live Sir.

MrDaravon

Interesting to know they're sticking largely with Wooley's translation, but adding in the new stuff and tweaking others basically. This is still my most anticipated game, why lie.

Fusebox

Banned
I can't believe they're finally ditching the GBA. My GBA Micro shits all over my PSP and DS as a daily handheld. Sad times indeed..

tnw

Banned
MoxManiac said:

FFVI is all about Ultros, baby.

The opera scene was cool, but I wish there wasn't so much focus on it. It wasn't the pinnacle of the game.

I did like the reference to opera, art, etc. in the game. Games almost never do that even now.

'Let me get my bib!'

And don't forget about chupon.

Angelcurio

Fusebox said:
I can't believe they're finally ditching the GBA. My GBA Micro shits all over my PSP and DS as a daily handheld. Sad times indeed..
Sad, but true. I want a PSP (cant live without metal gear), but my GBA is my most used gaming device right now, too many awesome games left to play on it.

Hero said:
Wait, so are Leo and the Emporer confirmed secret characters or was that just a fake?

Fake.

Glad to hear that the existing dialogue is mostly being retained since I like quite a bit of it and there a ton of classic lines. That was my biggest fear. IMO they really just need to update a few of the series references (e.g. Pug -> Tonberry, Stray -> Cait Sith) and add back in the few things excised per SNES-era Nintendo policy.

Senretsu

Being able to play this game on the go = portable sex

and LOL, its funny to see that the general leo "secrets" are alive and well, still clamoring their way into the hearts and souls of gamers everywhere.

tnw

Banned
I remember when I played FFVII the first time, I thought that it was like the esper system evolved.

And I always wondered what Final Fantasy VI would have been like with materia. That might have been a cool change to the game boy version.

......no?

Jake.

what is the point of releasing it on the GBA over the DS, considering how crazy the DS has sold and continues to do so?

Fusebox said:

I'm actually considering buying a Micro despite already owning a SP1 and DSL. DSL is still a bit cumbersome to carry around and I would love to see for myself if the Micro is really the best designed portable out there.

A lot of people were annoyed at GBA still doing so well in the charts but it is probably within the top 5 consoles ever released. Still, am I crazy for wanting a 3rd GBA player?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Jake XXX said:
what is the point of releasing it on the GBA over the DS, considering how crazy the DS has sold and continues to do so?
Because it's been in the works a long time and can still be played on the DS?

Jiggy

Duderz said:
:( about music.

:) about keeping most of Woolsey's translation.
Yep.
Woolsey's translation is just--I don't know, it's just one of those rare, rare cases where it somehow manages to service the plot and characters at least as well as the original. Different but not necessarily better nor worse, much like a comparison between, in literature, first-person and third-person, or past-tense and present-tense, or omniscient narrators and non, etc.

Well, if the game plays on the GBA, why not release it on the GBA? There are still people who don't own a DS so they're selling to a larger market.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Greenpanda said:
Well, if the game plays on the GBA, why not release it on the GBA? There are still people who don't own a DS so they're selling to a larger market.

To not sacrifice the music? And allow us to have insta sleep? =\

Ah well, we get what we get. WHatever sadness I have over the decision is nulled by the fact that it's FF6.

tnw said:
I remember when I played FFVII the first time, I thought that it was like the esper system evolved.

And I always wondered what Final Fantasy VI would have been like with materia. That might have been a cool change to the game boy version.

......no?

......No.

The materia system removed almost all ability-based individuality from your characters.

Tiktaalik

Jake XXX said:

what is the point of releasing it on the DS over the GBA, considering how crazy the GBA has sold and continues to do so?

Third Pillar FTW.

Top Bottom