• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkpen

Banned
RurouniZel said:
So I dug out my 2008 edition of the game and am gonna create a new character. I'm gonna give this game another shot. What's the best class for a newbie like myself to start as?
Starting out with Warrior is good, but I also suggest working on White Mage as well, using Hammers when you get up to level. White Mage becomes a reliable fall-back for subjobs and soloing, as well as party invites and getting to 30 fast enough for subjobs.

Desi

Teknoman said:
Whats max LS size anyway? Dont think its 108 :lol

Oh yeah:

snyn0n.png
A BLU orgasm! Right where I belong.

I have never touched a MMO before but decided to grab the 10$ ultimate collection on Steam just for kicks.

But holy shit, 6 hours of update download after a 8 gig download? WTF? Is it that hard to bundle everything you need into a single package?

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
chesspieceface said:
I have never touched a MMO before but decided to grab the 10$ ultimate collection on Steam just for kicks.

But holy shit, 6 hours of update download after a 8 gig download? WTF? Is it that hard to bundle everything you need into a single package?

It'd probably be a lot less than 6 hours, but the S-E servers suck balls. I dont get it why didnt they upload the latest version of the game for the Ultimate Collection though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I finally got it up and running last night, and it turned out that they still had my character registered to reactivate, so I just decided to do that so I don't have to go through the trouble of get back up to my previous level of 11 (I know, pathetic, but I'm not a good MMOer...)

I'm a female hume WAR in Bastok, but I forget what server I'm on, I'll have to double check.

EDIT: I'm on Midgardsormr, and I got by the username "Gigagirl" I'm a guy, but when I created this character I named it after a character I made for a short lived webcomic. I figured if I was going to effectively stare at a character's ass all game long as I made them run around, it may as well be a female one. :lol

And holy crap you people level fast! o_O How? I spent 2 hours last night just getting my character from level 11 to level 12!

hgplayer1

RurouniZel said:
So I finally got it up and running last night, and it turned out that they still had my character registered to reactivate, so I just decided to do that so I don't have to go through the trouble of get back up to my previous level of 11 (I know, pathetic, but I'm not a good MMOer...)

I'm a female hume WAR in Bastok, but I forget what server I'm on, I'll have to double check.

EDIT: I'm on Midgardsormr, and I got by the username "Gigagirl" I'm a guy, but when I created this character I named it after a character I made for a short lived webcomic. I figured if I was going to effectively stare at a character's ass all game long as I made them run around, it may as well be a female one. :lol

And holy crap you people level fast! o_O How? I spent 2 hours last night just getting my character from level 11 to level 12!

Are you keeping your character on Midgardsormr? I still have a character there that I could use to help you if you like?

If its taking you that long to solo from 11 to 12 youre either fighting mobs that are too easy or too hard. You have to find that balance so that you can blow through them and still get good exp. If I remember right around that level you should be able to get around 60-75 exp per mob with WAR and get the kill without taking too much damage.

Learn to use the Field Manuals for EXP and gil boosts and also for reraise and regen buffs. Also always have signet when EXPing. It gives you a defense boost and the mobs will drop crystals.

sky

Are there still a good amount of new players in the game?

When I left, many many people had multiple 75s... and while I enjoyed the endgame stuff, I also like the beginning stages. It's fun to re-discover the lower levels (yes, I even don't mind the dunes).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
sky said:
Are there still a good amount of new players in the game?

When I left, many many people had multiple 75s... and while I enjoyed the endgame stuff, I also like the beginning stages. It's fun to re-discover the lower levels (yes, I even don't mind the dunes).

Not really an issue with Level Synch, which is by far my favorite thing to use since I've been back. You see 75's exping sometimes in Dunes now.

hgplayer1

Yeah level sync was such a mind blowing addition when it first came out. I remember all the discussions that used to take place in linkshells about someone needing to level a job but nobody could help with it cause they didnt have a low enough job or gear.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
TurtleSnatcher said:
Summoner up to 18. White Mage is 10.. Black Mage is 30..

Fame in Windurst is now at 7
Fame in Sandy/Bastok should be 6 or 7 by tomorrow :eek:

I'd stop leveling summoner until you get another job high enough to join parties to go kill all the Avatars and get all the summons. Summoner is a blast to level if you have all the avatar's already, and the mini-fights don't work for two of the nicer ones. Not to mention you're going to want a WHM sub for SMN not BLM.

RurouniZel

hgplayer1 said:
Are you keeping your character on Midgardsormr? I still have a character there that I could use to help you if you like?

If its taking you that long to solo from 11 to 12 youre either fighting mobs that are too easy or too hard. You have to find that balance so that you can blow through them and still get good exp. If I remember right around that level you should be able to get around 60-75 exp per mob with WAR and get the kill without taking too much damage.

Learn to use the Field Manuals for EXP and gil boosts and also for reraise and regen buffs. Also always have signet when EXPing. It gives you a defense boost and the mobs will drop crystals.

Yeah, I just realized that so I'm fighting some 60-75 exp mobs in Southern ... fuck I forget the name, it's outside of Bastok.

Help is always good, but I probably won't be on for a while until later today. Where do I get field manuals, and what do the crystals do?

hgplayer1

RurouniZel said:
Yeah, I just realized that so I'm fighting some 60-75 exp mobs in Southern ... fuck I forget the name, it's outside of Bastok.

Help is always good, but I probably won't be on for a while until later today. Where do I get field manuals, and what do the crystals do?

Youre in South Gustaburg.

There should be a field manual right next to one of the gates leading into Bastok. They are sometimes hard to see cause of the color of the environment in Gustaburg. Theres another one on one side of that big mountain in the middle of zone.

You can sell the crystals at the auction house for around 500-1000 gil per stack of 12. Its going to be your best way to make gil at those low levels. Try to save as much stuff as you can so you can sell it for gil. Notable items from the area you are in are Honey and Beehive Chips from the bees.

If you do need help post here when you are loggin in and Ill help if Im around. Im at work right now so I wont be on for a while either.

sky

DrForester said:
Not really an issue with Level Synch, which is by far my favorite thing to use since I've been back. You see 75's exping sometimes in Dunes now.
Ah, good point. Yeah that sounds like a really awesome feature.
I was also thinking of new players in terms of their mind set... sometimes it's fun to play with people who are still discovering things, and feel amazed by the games mysteries.

Jbird34

Just going to see if anyone else on Fairy needed to do the last few ACP missions, I am on the next to last one but I don't see anyone shouting for it since i have returned? So anyone need it or would like to help just let me know!

hgplayer1

Ulairi said:
Is there a reason why after character creation my avatar looks nothing like the character I created?

could u be more specific? I think theres more detail in the character creation menus than in game.

or did u pick taru and get a galka? :lol

Velion

Projectjustice said:
Is the game more solo friend now and do you still down level?
Yep a bit more solo friendly although partying is the "faster" way to lvl up, and yes you still lvl down if you die very close into your lvl.
Ulairi said:
Is there a reason why after character creation my avatar looks nothing like the character I created?
Character creator uses CG-ish models.

Ulairi

Banned
hgplayer1 said:
could u be more specific? I think theres more detail in the character creation menus than in game.

or did u pick taru and get a galka? :lol

Hume + Face 2 + Medium and the character in character creation looks nothing like the character in the game.

Projectjustice said:
Is the game more solo friend now and do you still down level?

Yes to both!

RurouniZel, there are a lot of us on fairy if you wanna recreate your character or transfer. I could help you get to 11 again in an hour or 2 easily if you want to join us without paying the transfer fee.

Jbird34 said:
Just going to see if anyone else on Fairy needed to do the last few ACP missions, I am on the next to last one but I don't see anyone shouting for it since i have returned? So anyone need it or would like to help just let me know!

I do! I'm up to the Fei'Yin ones. I have to run around and grab glowy things, followed by a fight.

Skilletor

Always so damn tempting. I have a lvl 64 or 65 BLM on Hades. I still have the discs for the 360, though I doubt I have room on my HDD to install it again.

I keep thinking I want to play...

Damn these threads.

I'm at one of the farming parts of ACP, maybe too far back. Oh is anyone on with pearls? I go on in the mornings so far but I haven't seen anyone on that early through search.

Sin

Skilletor said:
Always so damn tempting. I have a lvl 64 or 65 BLM on Hades. I still have the discs for the 360, though I doubt I have room on my HDD to install it again.

I keep thinking I want to play...

Damn these threads.

Hey, a fellow ex-Hades player!

What was your toon's name, and when did you use to play?

SpiderJerusalem said:
I'm at one of the farming parts of ACP, maybe too far back. Oh is anyone on with pearls? I go on in the mornings so far but I haven't seen anyone on that early through search.

I'm gonna be on in an hour or 2. Soon as the update finishes. Can you make it on?

Mandoric

Banned
Narag said:
Suddenly, DRKS and DRGS. Millions of them.

And here we have 2004 explained.

Ironically, all the DRKs switched to PLD and all the DRGs went and emoed instead of being in a party, too!

Down leveling isnt a big deal if you can solo to get the EXP back. I remember back in the days waiting 5+ hours in Jueno just to get a party together to later have it fall apart cause the healer or tank sucked. That what made me quit the game.

Is the solo friendly on the level of WoW now? Nothing worst than leveling and then getting jumped on the way home by a Bunny Rabbit 15 levels lower than you and getting raped.:lol

Projectjustice said:
Is the solo friendly on the level of WoW now? Nothing worst than leveling and then getting jumped on the way home by a Bunny Rabbit 15 levels lower than you and getting raped.:lol

No, it's not like WoW. Partying will always be the much better option than soloing. However, when I delevel to 74 I find it relatively easy to go to Cape Terrigan and solo Fields of Valor of a little bit to get a good buffer back.

Old-school FFXI entailed soloing being almost completely impossible. New-school FFXI entails soloing being possible and worthwhile in some situations, but the game will always focus on party-play.

Pai Pai Master said:
No, it's not like WoW. Partying will always be the much better option than soloing. However, when I delevel to 74 I find it relatively easy to go to Cape Terrigan and solo Fields of Valor of a little bit to get a good buffer back.

Old-school FFXI entailed soloing being almost completely impossible. New-school FFXI entails soloing being possible and worthwhile in some situations, but the game will always focus on party-play.

I have no problems with partying. I did both solo and partied all the time in WoW. WoW has a excellent mixture of both. I just feel that Soloing is important cause somethings you dont have 8 hours to play and its nice to hop on for 30 mins and grind something for crafts or items for the Auction House.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pai Pai Master said:

Some jobs could solo. Beastmaster had to solo back in the day because no one wanted them. Then there was a time when even BLM's had a hard time getting parties. Summoner's can still do some excellent soloing from about lvl 50 to 75.

DrForester said:
Some jobs could solo. Beastmaster had to solo back in the day because no one wanted them. Then there was a time when even BLM's had a hard time getting parties. Summoner's can still do some excellent soloing from about lvl 50 to 75.

Yeah, I soloed 70-74 on my SMN. It may have gone faster in a good party but it was still fun and didn't feel like a waste of time, as opposed to sitting in town waiting for parties.

It's still dependent on the job though. I wouldn't go out and do the same thing no a WAR, FoV or not.

Skilletor

Sin said:
Hey, a fellow ex-Hades player!

What was your toon's name, and when did you use to play?

Brisania

I was on Bismarck for awhile. I started playing at ps2 launch. I followed some friends over to Hades (Cypress, Emirra, Deathwing, Demiskus). By the time I got to Hades, I'd pretty much given up playing.

Sin

Skilletor said:
Brisania

I was on Bismarck for awhile. I started playing at ps2 launch. I followed some friends over to Hades (Cypress, Emirra, Deathwing, Demiskus). By the time I got to Hades, I'd pretty much given up playing.

Same here, started playing at PS2 launch, was on Midgardsormr server initially but migrated to Hades with my LS mates when it opened up.

Those names aren't new, I think I remember them from the time I was hardcore into the HNM scene. Fun times.

I'm always tempted to come back, but last I tried I couldn't adapt to not HNMing like before and I got bored fast, so I think I'd rather start afresh in FFXIV when the time comes.

RurouniZel

pancakesandsex said:
RurouniZel, there are a lot of us on fairy if you wanna recreate your character or transfer. I could help you get to 11 again in an hour or 2 easily if you want to join us without paying the transfer fee.

Well, there are a lot of people, but I'm not sure. I'm not good at MMOs, I just got to level 15 and Rank 2, and the prospect of going back to level 1 doesn't sound great. :(

I don't want to spend $25 after I just reactivated my account for $13 sadly. :/

Kandinsky

RurouniZel said:
Well, there are a lot of people, but I'm not sure. I'm not good at MMOs, I just got to level 15 and Rank 2, and the prospect of going back to level 1 doesn't sound great. :(

I don't want to spend $25 after I just reactivated my account for $13 sadly. :/
I know what you mean but 15 is not that high, you can probably get to 20 in a day in fairy, just look at how fast these guys are lvling:lol

demigod

It really doesn't take that long to lvl low lvls. How long did it take you to do all that? If you're serious about playing I suggest you come to Fairy where you'll have people to help you out. This game is really tough to play without a linkshell, especially for new starters.

Narag

I'd even go as far to say its downright unfun without a good LS. FFXI lives and dies by its community and damn if it isn't fun to help and be helped actually appreciative folk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom