• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII Homepage revamped

olimario

Banned
This is new to me.

ff12-basch800.jpg

I really wish in game models looked closer to this cg artwork, because the in game graphics are really lackluster. You see games like Ninja Gaiden and Riddick and you know it's possible to do the cg justice.

olimario said:
This is new to me. I really wish in game models looked closer to this cg artwork, because the in game graphics are really lackluster. You see games like Ninja Gaiden and Riddick and you know it's possible to do the cg justice.

Huh???

FF12 has some of the most realistic looking character models I've seen.

I heard that they're using some new rendering trick to make them look more natural in motion.

jiggle

I must have incredibly low standard, because the real time model looks very close to that on the CG.

final-fantasy-xii-20040614103831609.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040604015503279.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040604015503842.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040604015456623.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040604015455451.jpg

Compare those to a prerendered image(not a photoshop touched up wallpaper):
final-fantasy-xii-20040604015453685.jpg

olimario

Banned
seismologist said:
FF12 has some of the most realistic looking character models I've seen.

I heard that they're using some new rendering trick to make them look more natural in motion.

I'm not sure what it is about it... It just looks terrible in game. The nice, clean real time cut scenes look fine, but every actual gameplay shot looks bad.

121303_ff7.jpg

olimario said:
I'm not sure what it is about it... It just looks terrible in game. The nice, clean real time cut scenes look fine, but every actual gameplay shot looks bad.

Real time cutscene models != real time gameplay models

olimario

Banned
Operations said:
Real time cutscene models != real time gameplay models
Then why do they look so drastically difference in screens? AA helps the real time cut scenes, but not THAT much.

jiggle

Square uses higher resolution models for closeup cutscenes, and lower resolution models for battles and world/town explorations.
As seen in FFX-2

low:
ffx_screen001.jpg

high:
f_screen014.jpg

f_screen001.jpg

f_screen034.jpg

And in FFXII:

low:
final-fantasy-xii-20040604015501201.jpg

final-fantasy-xii-20040604015453154.jpg

high:

final-fantasy-xii-20040514032253792.jpg

Actually, for the XII shots, they look almost the same(are they??) Maybe just the battle models are lower resolution...?

Belfast

olimario said:

121303_ff7.jpg

I'm not seeing where the "looking terrible" part is coming in.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jiggle said:
Actually, for the XII shots, they look almost the same(are they??) Maybe just the battle models are lower resolution...?

Hardly, since battles occur in real time during normal exploration. There is no loading screen before battles. It's just like FFXI you know.

Chrono

Banned
So what is the latest on the N.A. release date? spring or fall 2005?

I don't want it to go against Zelda, for its own sake.. :p

There is no NA release date yet, they are trying to figure out how to keep it from competing with Dragon Quest 8 and Kingdom Hearts 2 in Japan still.

Bebpo

Banned
Diomedeskun said:
There is no NA release date yet, they are trying to figure out how to keep it from competing with Dragon Quest 8 and Kingdom Hearts 2 in Japan still.

That's easy

Dec-Feb - DQ8
April-July - FFXII
Sept-Jan - KH2

jett

D-Member
Actually, I think that FFXII doesn't use different quality models, for the reasons stated above. Anyway, those pictures of the "blonde guy in armor" are really impressive...specially compared to his CG version. They really look extremely similiar, not in texture quality of course, but in style(unlike FFX, they looked like completely different people when FMV kicked in :p). You can definitely see the improvement in their modeling MAD SKILLZ, specially considering that they are using less polygons for the FFXII characters.

Heh, the more I see FFXII pictures/concept part the more I like it. Yay for Nomura being out of the picture! :p

jett said:
Heh, the more I see FFXII pictures/concept part the more I like it. Yay for Nomura being out of the picture! :p

Dunno why, the male characters still have a feminine look. Nomura owns this art. :) This still looks nice though.

silenttwn

SolidSnakex said:
Nomura owns this art. :) .

Hell no. :) Thank god they let someone else do the character designing. I'm not a rabid Nomura-hating son of a bitch, but with X and X-2, things got pretty crappy looking. I loved his stuff in both VII and VIII, and some of his Kingdom Hearts stuff is pretty good too... but the Final Fantasy series really needed a change up in the character designer department.

I just don't see much of a difference between these designs and Nomura's. Yoshida's other designs are very distictive in how they look, but these look more like someone trying to imitate Nomura's style.

neptunes said:
I understand what oilmario's means.

Why can't they look good all-around (Cut-scenes & battles)

Because they want the battle models to be fugly. It's their will. They also don't want you to enjoy the game.

Use your brain guys.

The inital press release, IIRC, spoke about what they wanted to accomplish with the models. They decided to focus on facial attributes (at the loss of the body), and to use one model instead of two (a la FFX).

So they look just as good, it's just that the body don't look really good.

Top Bottom