• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

scy

Reading GAF always makes me question my taste in stories :| I'm finding XIII-2's pretty interesting. Maybe it'll shit itself later and start the PARADOX PARADOX PARADOX all over the place but up through most of Chapter 3 has had nothing really all that dreadful.

This is true. Actually, the same can be said for many games I play. It's just that when I recommend certain paradigms for them to use and give them directions when they have trouble, they get irritated that even though I'm not playing the same way as they are, that I'm finding it easy to construct Paradigms for them. I don't really get their frustrations behind it.

It could be worse, they could ask for advice but not "that kind" to anything you suggest. Etrian Odyssey 2/3 had a lot of party help/build help topics I went through. There'd always be a, "...but not that,"-esque responses to my suggestions. More or less just looking for people to tell them to do what they want, I guess.

I've learned to just not care if people like my advice or not.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Reading GAF always makes me question my taste in stories :| I'm finding XIII-2's pretty interesting. Maybe it'll shit itself later and start the PARADOX PARADOX PARADOX all over the place but up through most of Chapter 3 has had nothing really all that dreadful.

It could be worse, they could ask for advice but not "that kind" to anything you suggest. Etrian Odyssey 2/3 had a lot of party help/build help topics I went through. There'd always be a, "...but not that,"-esque responses to my suggestions. More or less just looking for people to tell them to do what they want, I guess.

Episode 2 is alright for the most part. Episode 3 had a few glaring moments and Episode 4 and 5 is just stupid.

RPGCrazied

Why? What's up?

Previous page, last post. :| I got it rocking the slots, but its just saying SOLD OUT once I bought it, but now it says 00 owned. Not in inventory or anything. I even got the little convo with Serah about getting it back to Hope.

kayos90

Previous page, last post. :| I got it rocking the slots, but its just saying SOLD OUT once I bought it, but now it says 00 owned. Not in inventory or anything. I even got the little convo with Serah about getting it back to Hope.

It's a fragment. It's not an inventory thing.

desu

The sold out part is normal, did you go to hope yet?

ok lol stuck on
caius
(in Chapter 3 A)

Problem may be that I didn't get poison for serah in SAB role, so I should grind I guess. My strategy was working well except
he uses regen

kayos90

ok lol stuck on
caius
(in Chapter 3 A)

Problem may be that I didn't get poison for serah in SAB role, so I should grind I guess. My strategy was working well except
he uses regen

You can kill him without it. If you really dont' want to grind for it use 3RAV, 3COM, 3SENT, 1SENT2MED to kill him. It works pretty much on all bosses. WIth the exception of the last episode.

RPGCrazied

Did you go back to the lady at the desk?

No. lol, I thought I had to go to Hope first, and I turned it off when I thought it bugged. If thats it, thank you guys for helping me. I played the slots 367 times to get the 10k. I started out with barely nothing. lol

DasDamen

ok lol stuck on
caius
(in Chapter 3 A)

he uses regen

Yeah, I didn't win that fight until I started to use poison. In fact, I manually selected it for about a dozen turns until it finally stuck. Easy win thereafter.

Zoe

No. lol, I thought I had to go to Hope first, and I turned it off when I thought it bugged. If thats it, thank you guys for helping me. I played the slots 367 times to get the 10k. I started out with barely nothing. lol

I'm not positive that's it, but you should try that.

OMG, the Chocochick Down fragment. Chocolina is
Sazh's chocobo chick
. Mind blown.

Wait, what?

You can kill him without it. If you really dont' want to grind for it use 3RAV, 3COM, 3SENT, 1SENT2MED to kill him. It works pretty much on all bosses. WIth the exception of the last episode.

I tried something similar to that. Except I did SYN too to get buffed up which actually really helped. Then I did what you said, but either the regen kept making his health come back so any progress I made was too little and I think if the boss battle takes so long I'm doing something wrong surely...

Maybe I'm underlevelled, I think I've completely screwed up the large node, little node levelling thing anyway haha

Yeah, I didn't win that fight until I started to use poison. In fact, I manually selected it for about a dozen turns until it finally stuck. Easy win thereafter.

Yup, grinding for poison now

At least you can save paradigm decks...thats so good.

kayos90

I tried something similar to that. Except I did SYN too to get buffed up which actually really helped. Then I did what you said, but either the regen kept making his health come back so any progress I made was too little and I think if the boss battle takes so long I'm doing something wrong surely...

Maybe I'm underlevelled, I think I've completely screwed up the large node, little node levelling thing anyway haha

Yup, grinding for poison now

At least you can save paradigm decks...thats so good.

Are you using ATB Cancels? Try using that. It shaves a lot of time off.

Also, can someone answer my question at the top of the page?

Man, I just got to the start of Episode 4, and Academia is just gorgeous. The environments in this game are pretty awesome.

Wait, what?

There's a fragment that if you read it
is a letter from Dahj saying that he named his chocobo chick Chocolina since she's a girl.

I'm trying to use it, I'm not finding it easy TBH. This is probably because I never used it in XIII (didn't know ATB cancels existed). It'll take some practice!

RPGCrazied

Apparently I had to talk to Serah, then Hope, then the lady at the front. But yeah, I got the Odinblade!

Anyone else disappointed with the weapons in this game? Just color swaps for them all. ;/

Big Chungus

I have a FFXIII save on my ps3 but it didn't unlock the eternity crystal for me, anyone know where I can get it?

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

I've done minireviews before and no one had a problem with that in various threads. We have a review thread, but I don't know if anyone uses that anymore. Amir0x used to update that thread whenever new reviews got posted, but I guess things fell to the wayside and no one else was willing to keep up with it.

If it's a whole review, just remember to spoiler tag the bits that should be spoiler-tagged.

Caius wasn't bad. Switched to Sen/Med twice, but used Sab/Rav and Rav/Rav to stagger and then Com/Rav to kill.

scy said:

Perhaps I should just stop giving them advice if apparently I'm playing the game wrong, lol.

RS4-

Apparently I had to talk to Serah, then Hope, then the lady at the front. But yeah, I got the Odinblade!

Anyone else disappointed with the weapons in this game? Just color swaps for them all. ;/
How are the stats? I didn't pick one yet.

At Serendipity: not sure how many weapons you can win, so far I have two.

For Serah, it'll match the str with your mag. The opposite happens for Noel.

Not many good items to win at racing aside from those two, catalog, and some rare materials like adamite (?)

kayos90

Man, I just got to the start of Episode 4, and Academia is just gorgeous. The environments in this game are pretty awesome.

There's a fragment that if you read it
is a letter from Dahj saying that he named his chocobo chick Chocolina since she's a girl.

Wow... blew my mind.....

RPGCrazied

How are the stats? I didn't pick one yet.

At Serendipity: not sure how many weapons you can win, so far I have two.

For Serah, it'll match the str with your mag. The opposite happens for Noel.

Not many good items to win at racing aside from those two, catalog, and some rare materials like adamite (?)

Odinblade:

40* STR
40* MAG
Fragment Energy
Debuff:Duration

The Odinblades attributes scale with the number of fragments you collect. The basic str and mag attributes are 40. A bonus corresponding to the percentage of fragments you have collected is then added. You get an additional bonus of 80 by acquiring all 160 fragments that brings the weapon attributes to 220, making Odinblade Noel's most powerful weapon at that point.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Geeze. I still can't beat the powered up giant flan in Sunleth. Must need a very strong party for that one.

Did you power it down twice? When I was talking about how hard it was before, that was only after weakening it once via the Steppe event. I didn't know you could weaken it a second time (thus making the battle really easy)

RS4-

Geeze. I still can't beat the powered up giant flan in Sunleth. Must need a very strong party for that one.

Thanks for the odin blade stats.

And that was the last one I tackled for the extra stuff. He didn't go down easy until I got him staggered. I didn't bother with any accessories like the uh...flame ring? Then again, I probably should have put it on easy as well. I don't think there are any worthwhile drops from him.

RPGCrazied

Thanks for the odin blade stats.

And that was the last one I tackled for the extra stuff. He didn't go down easy until I got him staggered. I didn't bother with any accessories like the uh...flame ring? Then again, I probably should have put it on easy as well. I don't think there are any worthwhile drops from him.

Paradox Ending. :) Maybe I'll come back later.

Himself

So...........how are people enjoying this? I hear they improved the battle system, added some towns, a bit of freedom, some NPCs, etc.

But is it all adding up to a better game?

Is there a single intentionally humorous moment anywhere in there? XIII was so damn "serious."

And, my biggest beef with XIII, is there any sense of pacing whatsoever? Does stuff actually happen? Are there moments of tension and release, moments of relaxation and exploration? Or is it just one mad dash like XIII was?

I quit XIII somewhere in Chapter 10 I think.

RPGCrazied

I like it way more then XIII. The performance is way better in XIII though. Framerate issues all around this game. Oh well. Still, I'm having a better time in XIII-2. More to do, many improvements. The music is way better too, at least to me.

mudkyp

So...........how are people enjoying this? I hear they improved the battle system, added some towns, a bit of freedom, some NPCs, etc.

But is it all adding up to a better game?

Is there a single intentionally humorous moment anywhere in there? XIII was so damn "serious."

And, my biggest beef with XIII, is there any sense of pacing whatsoever? Does stuff actually happen? Are there moments of tension and release, moments of relaxation and exploration? Or is it just one mad dash like XIII was?

I quit XIII somewhere in Chapter 10 I think.

A simple answer is yes for the most part. The story varies on quality depending from person to person. There about zero tension in the story due the game itself being so open and free. Which for me is a fair trade off. Overall I find the whole experience more fun. And there is quite a bit of humor in the game as well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nice review, kayos. I agree with the last sentence in your sidequest paragraph; it really does feel like that. Score seems reasonable as well.

So the game is actually pretty hard if you don't use monsters.
Not really. You just need to shift more often and come up with more defense Optimae if the bosses are harder. Just treat the bosses like Guis and shift to a defense Optima whenever it attacks, and then shift back to an offensive/Chain boosting approach.

But in regular battles, I've been using Com/Rav (where Blitz and Attack are your best friends) and Rav/Sab with extreme ease.

RPGCrazied

Ever since I got this cloudburst, i've been rav/rav/rav everything, even bosses. Then rav/med/rav if I have to.

Then I potion heal, cause I got the grimgore hat, improved potion healing, with the Kill:Libera on it.

kayos90

Nice review, kayos. I agree with the last sentence in your sidequest paragraph; it really does feel like that. Score seems reasonable as well.

Not really. You just need to shift more often and come up with more defense Optimae if the bosses are harder. Just treat the bosses like Guis and shift to a defense Optima whenever it attacks, and then shift back to an offensive/Chain boosting approach.

But in regular battles, I've been using Com/Rav (where Blitz and Attack are your best friends) and Rav/Sab with extreme ease.

Thanks Schala, I appreciate it. I'm really sad about how they advertised XIII-2 and how the actual game is though. Soooo disappointed....

Go_Ly_Dow

Only 2 hours in and I'm loving it more than XIII already.

Also, the GAME steelbook set is awesome. Can't believe I got that along with the normal case, Omega and DLC costumes all for the same price as a standalone copy!

Himself

This is pretty cool and the complete opposite of XIII's "You have to run from something or toward something...or something...just keep playing, we'll let you now eventually!"

Shit. May just have to give this a go. Or wait. Isn't the "true" ending going to be released DLC or something? That would definitely make me wait for an ultimate edition or a significant price drop.

Top Bottom