• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feep

Banned
I have one person telling me reaching Chapter 12 will lock me out of Chapter 11 areas, and another telling me that that's bullshit. WHICH IS IT GAF

K' Dash

Feep said:
I have one person telling me reaching Chapter 12 will lock me out of Chapter 11 areas, and another telling me that that's bullshit. WHICH IS IT GAF

K' Dash said:
What is the point of no return in chapter 11? I'm inside
Taejins Tower
and I want to do all the hunts before I move on to chapter 12.

Anyone?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
B-Rad Lascelle said:
So what you're saying is that Vanille's VA is better than Serah's VA.
My dog's VA is better than every VA in SO4, and he got hit by a car years ago.

Vanille

K' Dash said:
What is the point of no return in chapter 11? I'm inside
Taejins Tower
and I want to do all the hunts before I move on to chapter 12.

When the game asks if you want to board the ship, which is at the very end of the chapter.

Feep said:

You won't be able to return to Pulse until chapter 13.

Xevren

MrOctober said:
In chapter 11 no. It fucks you up right away. After you do some serious leveling you can. It's never easy though.

Don't need to do any serious leveling really. Just have to cheese it with a summon and Death spam when Vanille gets it. Don't remember when Death unlocks though, maybe not until you beat chapter 11.

Magnus said:
There's a major issue here that touches the core of my argument. Yeah, you're programming your characters. But it's you, the player, who's doing that. When gambits achieved their desired amazing effects in battle, you can know that you set that shit up right. You anticipated, you interrupted where needed, you planned, you succeeded. In XIII, I feel like I've had Square make my gambits for me. Imagine XII with pre-manufactured gambits for nearly all of your characters, no matter how efficient. Man, no one would have played it. I would have used the disc as a coaster, taken a fat shit on it afterward and thrown it out my window. :lol This is bizarrely what 2/3 of XIII's combat is. It's sexy, fast-paced, visually glorious....Square gambits. I mean, they're fun to watch, but I want to play.

That is what made me feel that XII wasn't what I was looking for. If someone had just programed these things correctly from the get go, there wouldn't be much of a game left.

What I want in a Final Fantasy game is that moment when a boss's move puts your entire party precipice of death. In your mind you create this 12 step recovery process that includes curing, ensuna, protecting. Each character gets to cast a specific spell each turn or the whole thing is going to fall apart. The payoff is when you are at full health and your Espers are charged. Then it is 9999 time.

I feel like I am having these types of experiences in XIII a lot. In XII, when the unexpected occurs you might reprogram your gambits. It's a lot of work and disconnect to actually deploy a new strategy. The control I'm exerting moment to moment in a XIII battle feels more like an older final fantasy than XII did to me.

Dresden

DY_nasty said:
My dog's VA is better than every VA in SO4, and he got hit by a car years ago.
What the fuck, dude. SO4 still has Laura Bailey doing a role, and she >>> whoever the fuck did Vanille's voice.

Magnus said:
Anyway, my complaints about it pale vastly in comparison to the big elephant in the room, lack of control over your 1 or 2 partners. I would bathe in Auto-Battle's glorious waters and have nasty animal sex with it in return for being given back control of the other two.

I disagree. Removing auto-battle would make the game far more interactive and exciting than giving the player some gambit or dragon age:eek:rigins sort of passive AI control.

Just try playing without it and see what I mean.

7Th

Dresden said:
What the fuck, dude. SO4 still has Laura Bailey doing a role, and she >>> whoever the fuck did Vanille's voice.

It doesn't matter, not even Christopher Lee can do a worthwhile work under SO4's voice director.

Dresden

7Th said:
It doesn't matter, not even Christopher Lee can do a worthwhile work under SO4's voice director.
I thought Reimi, the bow-girl, had decent voice acting. Terribly written, but her voice was good.

Animator said:
So I liked ff12 a lot. Will I like this game too? Trying to decide whether or not to buy this along with gow3 tomorrow.

I hated the FF12 battle system and loving FF13's battle system. But i know people who loved FF12 and hate FF13. And everywhere in between! :lol

Dresden

Animator said:
So I liked ff12 a lot. Will I like this game too? Trying to decide whether or not to buy this along with gow3 tomorrow.
I loved FF12 and I really like this game. But there are others who liked 12 but hate 13... it's odd.

The sense of freedom present in 12 doesn't really exist in 13 until much, much later on in the game. The characters are distinctively more anime-cliche and if that bothers you, you might not enjoy the game very much.

The combat rocks, though. Think of it as switching constantly between sets of predetermined gambits.

MechaX

Holy shit. Managed to pass Mission 55 while severely underleveled on my second go. Vanille landing that death spell on her first go really hit it home. Too bad the little monsters were still as annoying as fuck.

Time to put this 2x CP item to good use.

And now Hope has Haste. Poor Sazh is officially obsolete.

LiK

Animator said:
Did you like FFX? that's a better comparison

Volcynika

Man, 42 hours in a week will drain you a bit. I'm right before the last boss, but I gotta beef up my equipment and all that. A lot of the enemies of Ch 13 are incredibly annoying and take a while to beat. Especially the
Tiamat boss
That motherfucker just wouldn't take the hint and die already! :lol

Animator

LiK said:
Did you like FFX? that's a better comparison

Man I did play ffx but I can't for the life of me remember a single thing about it. I dont even remember what the characters looked like.

Basicly I am interested in ff13 because it is linear. I lose interest if the game doesnt guide me so it is not a negative for me. As long as the story isn't "holy SHIT this is bad" bad I will pick it up.

Dresden

Animator said:
Man I did play ffx but I can't for the life of me remember a single thing about it. I dont even remember what the characters looked like.

Basicly I am interested in ff13 because it is linear. I lose interest if the game doesnt guide me so it is not a negative for me. As long as the story isn't "holy SHIT this is bad" bad I will pick it up.
It's about sixty eight times better than Star Ocean 3 or 4, if that helps, although that's still not saying much.

jiien

MrOctober said:
In chapter 11 no. It fucks you up right away. After you do some serious leveling you can. It's never easy though.

It's possible to kill them...

(spoiler till the end of chapter 11, so yeah, don't highlight if you aren't there yet)

as soon as you finish the boss of chapter 11, which will expand the Crystarium and give you access to Vanille's Death ability. At the end of chapter 11, you are not forced to chapter 12 though.

To kill them, make Vanille the party leader, and summon as SOON as you enter battle with them. It till auto-knock the thing to its knees for a long while, and so begin to spam the Death skill.

If it is successful, it will most likely happen after the summon has already disappeared and the beast is staggered(don't actually do anything with the summon, just let it do its thing, and let it leave. If you actually enter gesalt mode with it, you'll reset the chain gauge). After that, have both of the other two party members some sort of RAV combo, so you can quickly drive up the chain gauge and hopefully get a stagger before it gets up.

It is possible for this to happen before any of that (I actually had the first Death I cast work once, which was about two seconds into the fight), but it doesn't happen often. As soon as it gets up, you should probably just retry if it isn't dead yet.

It's helpful to have Sprint Shoes and an Aurora Scarf on Vanille, just for the quicker Death spamming in the beginning. The Haste will run out just before or around when the Summon leaves. Also, upgrading the Belladonna weapon of hers to the Malboro thingy apparently helps it as well.

Finally, when item hunting, DO NOT use both the Connossier (rare item drop up, will get you the Trapozehdron thingy, for upgrading to the final tier for weapons) and Collector Catalogs (normal item drop up, will get you a Platinum Ingot, sells for 150k gil) at once. If you have both, they sort of 'cancel' each other out, and you'll more often get nothing at all from the battle.

You get 40k CP from each kill, so it's really nice.

Anyway, credit for the above goes to many, many people that found this before me, though I did mix in some of my own experience there. And special thanks to mzjermsomething (from this thread) who started me off with one of his posts.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MechaX said:
Holy shit. Managed to pass Mission 55 while severely underleveled on my second go. Vanille landing that death spell on her first go really hit it home. Too bad the little monsters were still as annoying as fuck.

Time to put this 2x CP item to good use.

And now Hope has Haste. Poor Sazh is officially obsolete.
I can't wait until I can retire Sazh. The fact that he's the only character that has Haste at this point is clearly some form of affirmative action.

LiK

Animator said:

FFXIII is good. Story is so-so but the battle mechanics are fun. I say give it a shot. It's a beautiful game

neoism

Chapter 11 CGI sequence, and cut-sense!=
explode1.gif

This is my second favorite Final, and my favorite Final Fantasy story ever!..... :) Seriously amazing game!!!!

Diablos

This game is amazing. I'm addicted. Like... it's painful to turn off the console, get up, and do something else. I can't remember the last time I've been so hooked. It was probably another Final Fantasy. :lol

Just made it to
Nautilus
, and I continue to think this is the best thing that's ever happened to the series since FFVII. I'd be shocked if I end up feeling any other way.

Animator said:

Depends on your tastes. Many people in this thread hate the story while many love it. Liking anime/manga helps I guess but isn't required.

Diablos said:
This game is amazing. I'm addicted. Like... it's painful to turn off the console, get up, and do something else. I can't remember the last time I've been so hooked. It was probably another Final Fantasy. :lol

Just made it to
Nautilus
, and I continue to think this is the best thing that's ever happened to the series since FFVII. I'd be shocked if I end up feeling any other way.

We can be friends :lol

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
BocoDragon said:
Rag on the linearity all you want... but I do think there is something damned interesting about the battle system in this game.. This is one of the fastest RPG systems I've ever played, .

It's become the slowest for me :(
I'm still at Chapter 9 & fighting those mechs with 140,000 hp. 3 of them = one long ass fight.
I have not upgraded my weapon or my accessories AT ALL.
I keep hearing, wait till chapter 11, but would upgrading now give me an edge at all?

Is there a quide for dummies on upgrading, as I have no clue on where to start. Some things give multipliers, some things downgrade your stats etc?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
jiien said:
It's possible to kill them...

Finally, when item hunting, DO NOT use both the Connossier at once. If you have both, they sort of 'cancel' each other out, and you'll more often get nothing at all from the battle.

Wait, is this true? I've read the opposite somewhere else.

Edit: what about the Survivalist Catalog?

Nakazato

so im at the end of chapter 9. Spoiler
Who did you guy role with in the battle against the Cocoon fal'Cie cause im getting my ass handed to me after he start using all those fucking magic attacks at one time

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Nakazato said:
so im at the end of chapter 9. Spoiler
Who did you guy role with in the battle against the Cocoon fal'Cie cause im getting my ass handed to me after he start using all those fucking magic attacks at one time
Use a Librastone, fight each parts individually, rav/rav/com, switch to heal every so often, and repeat; at least that's how I remember doing it. You might need a sentinel, but I don't recall.

FTWer said:
Is there a quide for dummies on upgrading, as I have no clue on where to start. Some things give multipliers, some things downgrade your stats etc?
The natural materials give you multipliers, "3x" is the highest. Then the mechanical parts give you a lot of EXP once you have the multiplier set, but they will lower or remove the multiplier.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Finished the game.

I'll wait til tomorrow until reviewing it, but I can safely say I'll give it a 3/5 (which would translate to a 6.5/10 in a ten-point scale but I don't believe in those). I'm very disappointed with how a lot turned out, but the battle system is the one thing that saves this trite from falling into mediocrity.

george_us

Just got to chapter 9 with 20 hours put into the game. Not sure if the game does a 180 or not but this is legitimately the worst RPG I've played this generation and without a doubt the worst FF game I've ever played. Outside of the graphics, the music, and some elements of the battle system, there are no redeeming qualities about the game. I want to get to Gran Pulse before I sell it but I may not even make it at this rate as playing this has become a chore. Long ass corridor after long ass corridor filled with enemies with HP in the 100,000 range that you can beat by auto-attacking over and over with the occasional shift. Christ almighty Kitase should be fired for this piece of shit.

The game seems to be doing pretty good in UK if Chart-Track is to be believed. Already it's the fastest selling game of the year. I guess that isn't saying much since it's only March and all but still pretty good. Surprised that the PS360 split is 54/46 and not leaning more toward PS3, but whatever. As long as the game sells, it doesn't matter.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Okay if I had to rate the stories of the FFs I've played immediately after finishing the game it would be:

Tactics > VI > XII > VII > IX > IV > V > X > XIII > VIII > III > I

BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE ROLL IN HERE

Regulus Tera said:
Okay if I had to rate the stories of the FFs I've played immediately after finishing the game it would be:

I know it's your opinion and all, and to each his own, but FFXII is third place in story? Really??

I am on the infamous ch 9 boss. This thing is the real deal. Without spoilers, and to someone who has beat the game, let me ask you something: is the ch 9 boss the hardest "regular" boss of the game? (aka, no side-quest ultra-mega bosses included). Because, like, damn. This is the first time I'm grinding.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Regulus Tera said:

No, it's how you roll. It's how you've been letting everyone else know how you roll for th past year and a half.

Lightning

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I know it's your opinion and all, and to each his own, but FFXII is third place in story? Really??

I am on the infamous ch 9 boss. This thing is the real deal. Without spoilers, and to someone who has beat the game, let me ask you something: is the ch 9 boss the hardest "regular" boss of the game? (aka, no side-quest ultra-mega bosses included). Because, like, damn. This is the first time I'm grinding.
I don't think so. I personally had more trouble with the chapter 10 boss.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FateBreaker said:

Yeah! I'm a rebel!

Y2Kev said:
No, it's how you roll. It's how you've been letting everyone else know how you roll for th past year and a half.

I swear to God my next post will be my last post in this thread. :p

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Regulus Tera said:
Finished the game.

I'll wait til tomorrow until reviewing it, but I can safely say I'll give it a 3/5 (which would translate to a 6.5/10 in a ten-point scale but I don't believe in those). I'm very disappointed with how a lot turned out, but the battle system is the one thing that saves this trite from falling into mediocrity.
Mathematically you mean 6/10, not 6.5 :lol unless you mean that's what you would give it on a 10.

I think the game so far is decent, it's not as terrible as I thought it would be ...which is odd. I suppose people that had high hopes for this game got disappointed and those with no hope (as myself) think it's not half bad; ironically it's all about the same score 7/10

FateBreaker said:

Nah, Ch 9 was easy for me, actually every one of them were.

And FFXII may lack a "deep" story, but it's not like XIII is so much better; or any of the other FF's for that matter. Although 4 is too high on that list, that story made no sense when I played it. :D

Entered Chapter 11 at 32 hours still at Chapter 11 at 38 hours, farming for CP in the place with the bombs and hoplites was too good to pass up. The games graphics, lighting, and particle effects really shine when using two ravagers as well, their awesome using fire and the lightning and water and ice, and it really shows. I love how the remnants of flames remains after using firaga, or the remnants of bolts of lightning remain on the ground after using thundaga. It is impressive (especially using about 10 volleys of thunder in a row), so shiny, lol.

Lightning said:
I don't think so. I personally had more trouble with the chapter 10 boss.

Really? I had very little trouble with the chapter 10 boss. I thought I might've been overleveled but then everything in chapter 11 kicked my ass (even the weaker enemies).

I guess Shouta was right about the difficulty being all over the place depending on who you talk to.

FTWer said:
It's become the slowest for me :(
I'm still at Chapter 9 & fighting those mechs with 140,000 hp. 3 of them = one long ass fight.
I have not upgraded my weapon or my accessories AT ALL.
I keep hearing, wait till chapter 11, but would upgrading now give me an edge at all?

Yeah at about that point where you're up in the air fighting those robots, I stayed in that area to farm a shitload of CP and nearly maxed my party out before I moved on. Things got pretty easy for a while after that, and no I haven't upgraded my weapons yet either.

I's at Chapter 7 currently i would like to know if it's possible later in the game to travel back to all the different area's you've been previously or it's not possible?

burgerdog

Is there an item that increases percent of rare drops? I've killed the mission 7 mark a bunch of times and I haven't gotten any drops at all. Actually, is it required to even get those items to drop off him?

Lightning

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Really? I had very little trouble with the chapter 10 boss. I thought I might've been overleveled but then everything in chapter 11 kicked my ass (even the weaker enemies).

I guess Shouta was right about the difficulty being all over the place depending on who you talk to.
It depends.
Raines would cast deprotect on me, perform one of his powerful attacking combos, and I would go from full life to nearly dead and I was almost always under negative status effects. My strategy sucked though, because I couldn't break this guy at all and I know many who have.

Chapter 9 boss
Take out the heads ASAP, ensure you are under protect status, keep your HP above half, and I was virtually never in danger of dying
If anything, I had more trouble with the normal enemies in the room before the boss fight.

Lightning said:
It depends.
Raines would cast deprotect on me, perform one of his powerful attacking combos, and I would go from full life to nearly dead and I was almost always under negative status effects. My strategy sucked though, because I couldn't break this guy at all and I know many who have.

Chapter 9 boss
Take out the heads ASAP, ensure you are under protect status, keep your HP above half, and I was virtually never in danger of dying
If anything, I had more trouble with the normal enemies in the room before the boss fight.

Yeah, I guess my definition of "hard" is a bit off. The chapter 10 fight was definitely more frantic and I came close to dying a few times while the chapter 9 fight was just long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom