• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Wow, I just hit a wall in Chapter 11. It's not that it's too tough, it's that I'm suddenly so tired of the game. I'm tired of shifting paradigms. It all looks cool still, but I'm just... bored.

I didn't even play XIII today. Wow. Exact same thing happened with XII and I ended up beating the game a year after it came out. I wonder if I'll do the same thing here.

Holy shit, I cannot beat this Falco Cycle with two snipers in Ch. 7. I just spent about an hour dying against this encounter, before turning off the machine in disgust (and will lose my progress since the last save).

I'm using Sen/Syn to get the Steelguard and Hope's two defensive buffs, but I honestly just cannot tell when I'm going to block the machine gun attack of doom and pain. I spam steelguard, I leave Hope on Synergist, all in the hopes of blocking the machine gun attack. Sometimes it blocks, but other times it tears through me like butter. I can't figure out what I am doing that occasionally gives Snow the 'block' on that attack.

I see icons next to my character's names -- I think one of those is Steelguard (the shield?). How do I know when Protect and/or Shell have been cast by Hope? Is there a screen I can go to that tells me what buffs are active on my characters? Ugh... have really been enjoying this game up until this point too.

*deep breath*

Dresden

affableamerican said:
Holy shit, I cannot beat this Falco Cycle with two snipers in Ch. 7. I just spent about an hour dying against this encounter, before turning off the machine in disgust (and will lose my progress since the last save).

I'm using Sen/Syn to get the Steelguard and Hope's two defensive buffs, but I honestly just cannot tell when I'm going to block the machine gun attack of doom and pain. I spam steelguard, I leave Hope on Synergist, all in the hopes of blocking the machine gun attack. Sometimes it blocks, but other times it tears through me like butter. I can't figure out what I am doing that occasionally gives Snow the 'block' on that attack.

I see icons next to my character's names -- I think one of those is Steelguard (the shield?). How do I know when Protect and/or Shell have been cast by Hope? Is there a screen I can go to that tells me what buffs are active on my characters? Ugh... have really been enjoying this game up until this point too.

*deep breath*
The icons are for buffs, and I don't think steelguard shows up on it.

Don't use auto-hinder for Snow. Use Provoke-Steelguard-Steelguard and repeat that set every time you need it.

Basically the fight will go like this--start sen/syn to buff with Hope, then when protect and shell are on both characters, switch to Com/Med to heal up then Com/Rav-Rav/Rav to beat up on the snipers. You don't need to worry about the machine until it starts charging up it's gatling gun. You should have enough time to switch Paradigm to Sen/Med, Provoke-Steelguard-Steelguard (just Repeat the command) the Falco, then switch back to Com/Rav.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I'm growing to like this game a bit more even if it tends to -- so far -- be corridor after corridor with enemies, followed by a cut scene. That crystal lake looks great though. Anyways, the paradigms: How do you level them up? I think I've maxed out the few that I have now.

Thanks guys -- maybe I just need to slow down and pay attention for a minute. Wil give it a shot tomorrow. I think I run the risk of giving up on the game completely if I try again tonight. ;)

affableamerican said:

*deep breath*

Shield means Protect spell. Control the Sentinel, get all the mobs to target you (they will have a red sign next to their HP bar), only then switch to offense. Go with Sen/Rav, kill the two snipers. When only bike is left pummel him with Com/Rav or Rav/Rav. If it's about to use Gatling Gun, quickly switch back to Sentinel, Provoke + Steelguard.

WYWY

qcf x2 said:
How do I beat
Cid Raines
? I lost like seven times already, and each attempt took at least 10 minutes.
His offense is really messing my game up, as I constantly have to use Cure and his HP is way too high for him to be able to do such devastating attacks.

Thanks.
I find this boss incredibly easy to take out using Twin Jammers. It'll cancel the boss's buffs easily and even affect the enemy. Mix with your own favorite defensive, healing and offensive combinations. Didn't require a summon and can clear with 5 stars.

And jamming always works when an enemy is in break status.

Ricker said:
Getting a little tired of those Eidolon trial and error fights...Saszh one again is the same thing...off for the night,i;ll try it again tomorrow,maybe i`ll bring the ATB down to the slowest speed,the Synergist ability when you open up the choices there`s like 8 in there,by the time you find the one you want you waste precious time,I hate the Sentinel and Saboteur shifts,game is getting a little too hard for my patience.Chapter 8 by the way.

Fire Eidolon likes to interrupt your moves so cast Vigilance as fast as possible. I think he's susceptible to some status ailments but I can't remember which. Vigilance is really important though, buff your party while you're still in Synergist mode too if you want (haste = good).

A question of my own, when is the best time to paradigm shift in order to avoid the full animation? I wasn't getting them for the longest time but now it does the full animation every time I switch.

Really annoying when I switch to a medic and have them die while doing their little dance.

kiryogi

Banned
affableamerican said:

*deep breath*
Heh I got pretty irritated at that point with facing those bikes, then they go and add in 2 snipers? I said fuck it and unleashed Shiva. :D

painey

I killed 3 adamantoises but only 1 platinum ignot drop.. not what I needed.. so its time to head to chapter 12 without ultimate weapons.. I ended up grinding 20 hours in Gran Pulse

Animator said:
Man I did play ffx but I can't for the life of me remember a single thing about it. I dont even remember what the characters looked like.

Basicly I am interested in ff13 because it is linear. I lose interest if the game doesnt guide me so it is not a negative for me. As long as the story isn't "holy SHIT this is bad" bad I will pick it up.
Hmm seems like you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. I don't know why many Gaf member does this. It's better to go in the game with a clear head then to go in a game just to point out all the flaws.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning GAF!

Had a hard FFXIII day yesterday, nothing went as planned as I was going for _at least_ two ultimate weapons. I ended up with zero since some hunts were much harder than anticipated. This isn't anything like the super easy hunts from FFX, everything's just as hard as Dark Aeons, even the easy missions :lol

*starts up the game*

Another day with this game, unbelievably good. How was I ever in doubt?

ZeoVGM

Banned
So I wasn't able to play more than an hour yesterday but as of now, still in chapter 9,
when you enter the ship
and I've clocked 35 hours (though really, it's probably 30-32 as I would leave it on the menu screen a lot instead of pausing).

Currently grinding in the area I mentioned above. In the hour I played yesterday I maxed out everyone's Crystariums as of now. I think I'll just finish leveling up Lightning's Helter-skelter (2nd tier to Gladius) and then move on.

Just gotta say how great this game is. Memorable characters, a good story, and one of the best battle systems in the series hands down. There's a few minor issues I have with it but the good FAR outweighs the bad.

Barrett2

So, I played the first two hours last night. My god, I read that the game starts slowly, but so far this is just awful. Half of these characters seem to be cringe-worthy, and I have no idea whats going on. I honestly feel like I could never play it again and not care. Hopefully it picks up. But damn, talk about a weak first impression. :/

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
28qqbug.jpg

Don't know what I'm going to use it on though. Need to think about what's going to most help me buff my characters up.

Healer/Saboteur/ Enhancer combo to buff up at the start or buff/debuff up when buffs run out.
Healer/Healer/Sentinel for healing purposes.
Ravenger/Commando/Ravenger for ass whipping.

That's what I did on the chapter 11 boss.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Lost Fragment said:
28qqbug.jpg

Don't know what I'm going to use it on though. Need to think about what's going to most help me buff my characters up.
I hate you so much right now.

Don't know what to use it on?! WAT! If you get one Trap, you're pretty much done (the rest is up to gil farming).

With it, get Kains Lance (Fangs ultimate weapon) and break it down for three Traps and start getting other ultimate weapons. When you've got one over, get Fangs ultimate weapon again and repeat. Sure, it costs money but it's waaaaaaaay faster than actually buying 6 Traps for 2mil each.

Bliddo

affableamerican said:

*deep breath*
Just have Hope as a healer and attack the snipers first, as soon as you see the Gatling gun attack, switch to sentinel and healer, aggro the motorbike and cast steelguard, you should be fine.

Naeblish

lawblob said:
So, I played the first two hours last night. My god, I read that the game starts slowly, but so far this is just awful. Half of these characters seem to be cringe-worthy, and I have no idea whats going on. I honestly feel like I could never play it again and not care. Hopefully it picks up. But damn, talk about a weak first impression. :/
Yup, just hang in there for another 1-2 hours. The combat will get awesome and the script a little better. Also, if you didn't already, read the datalogs to get a better understanding of the world, they are short and make things much clearer.

Dresden said:
Wow, I just hit a wall in Chapter 11. It's not that it's too tough, it's that I'm suddenly so tired of the game. I'm tired of shifting paradigms. It all looks cool still, but I'm just... bored.

I didn't even play XIII today. Wow. Exact same thing happened with XII and I ended up beating the game a year after it came out. I wonder if I'll do the same thing here.
Yeah, I had the exact same feeling today when I stopped at Chapter 11. On top of that I was confused whether I should continue with the main story or do missions. I got God of War 3, so I'll be playing that for a few days and hopefully I'll get back into FFXIII.

Yoshichan

So I use death on Adamanti for 2 straight hours and nothing. They don't die.

Then one dies. No loot.
Immediately I load and another one dies. Nothing again.

I want to cry.

lawblob said:
I agree they did a bad job of introducing the story, especially when the the words "fal'cie" and "l'cie" are said in every other sentence. But it gets better, especially the combat.

Rpgmonkey

Some of the missions are kinda fun, though they're way too impersonal for my tastes. The little "stories" each stone tells all feel the same and its hard to care about some anonymous rock, so I started skipping those and just getting to the fight.

Chocobos are pretty fun in this, and I met a Cactuar! Though they're pretty lame...

Getting kinda tired of running from place to place in Pulse, I think I'm ready to move on to another game already.

Gonna read all of the datalog later today. From what I have read it still won't make the story and characters interesting, but I'd like to know more about the world itself.

Yoshichan

3rd Adaman, nothing. **** off.

Any tips for using summons effectively. I find that they don't deal much damage when I use them. I must be doing something wrong.

I use summons as a ditch to a no way out situation. When the summon is gone all your character are back to fully healed and regular conditions.

Yoshichan

4th. Nothing.

Edit - 5th, PLATINUM INGOT :D Better than nothing.

Zalasta

Himuro said:
It gives variation to the game. It means I can do this, or this, or that...and still come back for more. Without that you have the bare essentials, and the bare essentials can be boring.

If that's what you need out of a RPG, then that's your prerogative and FF13 is not what you're looking for. I personally think there is room in the genre for straight forward games and ones which fit your view of variation. Having 10 towns selling the same things with 1 or two new items each and having only save points with shops that constantly updates function the same for me. I actually find it rather refreshing not have to backtrack to various locales for progression, side quests or whatever.

Honestly, I think the sentiment that exploration is tied to an open world is silly and just a matter of perception. As long as a location is new to me, I'm still exploring it whether it's a huge area or a narrow corridor.

You don't have to agree with the design choices, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad. FF13 may not be a good game for you and many others, but for me it is good enough.

anddo0

Dresden said:

Hope this doesn't happen to me, just got there as well.. From what I've read, this is where the real grinding begins. I like the paradigm system a lot, just wish there were a way to save them. I hate having to set up new ones after switching party member's, unless I'm missing something..

Toki767

I grinded for about an hour or two once I hit the beginning of Chapter 11. Now I'm about 2/3 done with the chapter and my crystarium roles up to Stage 8 are filled for the 3 main roles. Fang has over 1000 strength and Hope has over 1000 magic but I still feel like I might be a bit too weak. :lol

dk_

Is there any need to uprade weapons at all? I'm in chapter 7 and I still kick ass.

When should I start and with what? (Sorry, I imagine this has been asked numerous times, but the thread is huuuge. :) Short tips are enough.)

Yoshichan

dk_ said:
Is there any need to uprade weapons at all? I'm in chapter 7 and I still kick ass.

When should I start and with what? (Sorry, I imagine this has been asked numerous times, but the thread is huuuge. :) Short tips are enough.)
I beat it without upgrading once.
Skel said:
Who dropped this and where?
Drop chance is 1%.

Thrakier

Zalasta said:
If that's what you need out of a RPG, then that's your prerogative and FF13 is not what you're looking for. I personally think there is room in the genre for straight forward games and ones which fit your view of variation. Having 10 towns selling the same things with 1 or two new items each and having only save points with shops that constantly updates function the same for me. I actually find it rather refreshing not have to backtrack to various locales for progression, side quests or whatever.

Honestly, I think the sentiment that exploration is tied to an open world is silly and just a matter of perception. As long as a location is new to me, I'm still exploring it whether it's a huge area or a narrow corridor.

You don't have to agree with the design choices, but that doesn't necessarily make them bad. FF13 may not be a good game for you and many others, but for me it is good enough.

But it doesn't feel like exploring to me. It feels like running forward.

Jrmint

dk_ said:
I did my first upgrades in Chapter 11. I upgraded Light's Axis Blade and Whistlewind Scarf into an Aurora Scarf and got them both to Star level. This now gives me all 5 of my ATB slots filled up at the beginning of the fight and essentially haste, or at least it feels that way with how fast the gauges fill up. You get a 10% ATB speed bonus by having both items equipped together.

Speaking of which, I need an Adamantite to upgrade my Axis Blade to Enkindler, anyone know offhand who drops this?

Volcynika

So, (post CH 11 stuff, not plot, but skill stuff)
am I able to go tackle some other enemies now that I have Vanille's Death spell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom