• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
rayner said:
Do you have all the Acessories acquired?
I assume I have all the base accessories since I've never sold any piece of equipment. It sounds like all that I really need to do at this point is farm the required Dark Matters, and then I should have enough money to do a separate "sell everything" save file just to get that trophy. Thanks for the help.

Cornbread78

Cep said:
The other guy was crazy, this is much better, though it needs one addition:

When FF X-2 launched, FF V was the tru hardcore FF fans game, X-2 was for the hardcore-er and girls.

And RIKU and/or fine female character model lovers of any gender.:D

Yazus

DangerousDave said:
When FF VII lauched, FF VI was the tru hardcore FF fans game, VII was for newcomers and 3d-whores.
When FF VIII lauched, FF VII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, VIII was for newcomers and emos.
When FF IX lauched, FF VIII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, IX was for newcomers and kids.
When FF X lauched, FF IX was the tru hardcore FF fans game, X was for newcomers and casuals.
When FF XII lauched, FF X was the tru hardcore FF fans game, XII was for newcomers and mmo fans.
When FF XIII lauched, FF XII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, XIII was for newcomers and graphicwhores.

This is exactly how it is.

The real thing is that the FF series reinvent themselves every iteartion. So you might love XII but this does not mean at all that you will love XIII. Because they only share what, weapons and magic names? They are completely different games. This is why people who make comparisons are retarded. Is like making a comparison between FFXIII and TWEWY or I don't know. Every FF is a stand alone game. There is NO best FF. Its just opinions.

Also

Final Boss time.
Orphan
is kicking my ass, I got him to 1.2m/6.3m HPs then randoom
devastating attack I dont know how its called because my game is in Italian, the one that he makes from yan/ying form
kills my party. Also sacrificing my equips to equip those Instant Kill preventing accessories makes me weaker.

I have got 600k Gil, thoes this mean its Upgrade Time? :D

zoukka

nelsonroyale said:
Ugh, not this rubbish about FFVI being the pinnacle of the series...

It's a completely understandable point of view. I mean it's the pinnacle of the classic Final Fantasy style.

Who knows, maybe XIII will remain as the pinnacle of corridor fantasy.

Magnus

I can't wait to get home and comment on some of the posts over the last day. This iPhone keyboard just won't do the trick.

C.T.

I fucked myself over. Did all the missions and nearly maxed everyone but have just 2 traps there's just one of the weaker tutle left now which drops a trap and platinum cords... The post game is broken and boring.

Pooya

C.T. said:
I fucked myself over. Did all the missions and nearly maxed everyone but have just 2 traps there's just one of the weaker tutle left now which drops a trap and platinum cords... The post game is broken and boring.
you can farm the turtles in
Eden (chapter 12)

C.T. said:

There's another one in Chapter 12 if you teleport.

I hear that's a better place to get your loot anyways.

Meier said:
How could you do it in 5 seconds? What 'level' would be required to do so? I was able to kill the Behemoth before he transformed once but typically am unable to.
In the post-game you should have enough firepower to finish the fight in the blink of an eye. Having Sprint Shoes and Aurora Scarf on help.

mr stroke

Yazus said:

The real thing is that the FF series reinvent themselves every iteartion. So you might love XII but this does not mean at all that you will love XIII. Because they only share what, weapons and magic names? They are completely different games. This is why people who make comparisons are retarded. Is like making a comparison between FFXIII and TWEWY or I don't know. Every FF is a stand alone game. There is NO best FF. Its just opinions.

Also

Final Boss time.
Orphan
is kicking my ass, I got him to 1.2m/6.3m HPs then randoom
devastating attack I dont know how its called because my game is in Italian, the one that he makes from yan/ying form
kills my party. Also sacrificing my equips to equip those Instant Kill preventing accessories makes me weaker.

I have got 600k Gil, thoes this mean its Upgrade Time? :D

Only way I was able to kill him is with a
Med/Sab/Syn combo

you need the buffs/debuffs

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
C.T. said:

Which is why I only play it when I'm super bored now. After you max out everything and complete the missions... that's it... :/

WOOT I kicked Mission 55's ass! I took your guys' suggestion to swap Fang for Snow and he seemed to do a decent job at the SEN role. I started spamming firaga for a few and then decided to just use the summon so I could focus on spamming spells and then switch to healing when the shrouds would wear off. I never bothered using quake, the key to my success was that I was bold and swapped to my MED SYN SEN to get the buffs back on and bounced between that and healing. Nearly got wiped multiple times doing so, it was crazy but once I had all the buffs on them, I decided to get even more bold and used Relentless Assault, bouncing back to Combat Medic IMMEDIATELY after one serious of attacks. This paradigmn allowed me to finish one off quickly, MUCH faster than spamming Firaga, didn't even bother scanning them so they used all types of elements but it didn't matter. As each enemy expired, it became easier and easier. Ended up beating it in just over 7 minutes and got 5 stars :D Now I can properly grind.

On that note, where should I grind now that I have the growth egg? I heard that the spot with the robot and rust puddings is better than the behemoth fighting the giant wolf? I figure I'll finish up this new grid for the three mains before moving on. I take it I have to go to chapter 12 to get access to the second grid of lvl 9?

mr stroke said:
Only way I was able to kill him is with a
Med/Sab/Syn combo

you need the buffs/debuffs

What? Two Ravagers and a Commando should be perfect to stagger him fast, Use two commandos once staggered to deal tons of damage, then switch to use either RENEW (Technique to heal) or Two Medics and heal as fast as possible, then go back and deliver attacks. I suggest having around 7000 HP for all characters, occasionally that way one would at least have close to 500+ HP remaining when those intemediary (Darkness and daytime or something) attacks come down.

Kagari said:
Which is why I only play it when I'm super bored now. After you max out everything and complete the missions... that's it... :/
It's kind of weird yeah, it's a decent amount of side content in the missions but somehow it doesn't really feel like it. FFXIII could REALLY use some kind of hard-mode, a new game+ feature, or some kind of bonus dungeon or SOMETHING. FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII had SO much more optional content. So did FFX, really. Five-starring the missions is so easy after you get the Gold Watch that it's trivial. I think FFXIII's combat is loads of fun, the problem is that there's not that much to bring it to bear on, and the world's not as interesting to explore as FFX or FFXII or the pre-PS2 games. I like that in FFXII it's at least fun to just wander around the world because you barely have to pay attention to low-level enemies and can just enjoy the atmosphere; in FFXIII, low-level enemies just feel like an irritation if you're trying to wander around Pulse to enjoy the feel of it, even if the actual difficult battles are more fun/challenging than in FFXII. I'm not sure what to blame for all this, there's a lot that I've enjoyed about the game and I certainly don't hate it... but it feels like my itch hasn't been scratched, either. What can I say - I'm looking forward to Versus and hoping it's able to do that for me.

burgerdog

badcrumble said:
Five-starring the missions is so easy after you get the Gold Watch that it's trivial.

Yikes, I never used the gold watch but that is sad to hear. 5 starring missions is already easy as it is.

burgerdog said:
Yikes, I never used the gold watch but that is sad to hear. 5 starring missions is already easy as it is.
To be fair, once you can beat Mission 64 to get the Gold Watch you're basically ready to steamroll anything in the game that isn't a Long Gui or a Xiaolong Gui. But yeah, I'm going to finish starring the missions and kill a Long Gui, but honestly after finishing all the missions I've pretty much lost my motivation to get the Treasure Hunter trophy. If Square-Enix announces DLC for the game that sounds like it's to my liking, that'll likely change and I'll keep powering up my accessories in preparation for it, but I was having a blast finishing the game up through the missions, and then suddenly now that I've done that I have very little incentive to keep playing the game. I may be weird about this, but even after maxing everything out in FFX I enjoyed equipping a No Encounters piece of equipment and walking the entire path of Spira, and even after maxing everything out in FFXII that wasn't that got-damn Danjuro I enjoyed just wandering around Ivalice sometimes. That doesn't really exist for me in FFXIII/Pulse and it's difficult to articulate why. Maybe I'm just burned out and I'll change my mind after taking some time off.

SquallASF said:
Where should I grind now that I have the growth egg? I heard that the spot with the robot and rust puddings is better than the behemoth fighting the giant wolf? I figure I'll finish up this new grid for the three mains before moving on. I take it I have to go to chapter 12 to get access to the second grid of lvl 9?

Anyone?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DangerousDave said:
When FF XIII lauched, FF XII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, XIII was for newcomers and "graphicwhores" that only play on consoles.
Fixed, I don't think they delivered this time around except for the full motion 3D transformers flick in between the "tubes."

Eden
was cool though, but it was just a road.

Himuro said:
No one is disputing FF13's graphical prowess.
Oh, I believe I would :lol

badcrumble said:
[...] I like that in FFXII it's at least fun to just wander around the world because you barely have to pay attention to low-level enemies and can just enjoy the atmosphere; in FFXIII, low-level enemies just feel like an irritation if you're trying to wander around Pulse to enjoy the feel of it, even if the actual difficult battles are more fun/challenging than in FFXII. I'm not sure what to blame for all this, there's a lot that I've enjoyed about the game and I certainly don't hate it... but it feels like my itch hasn't been scratched, either[...]
I think battle transitions are to blame, aside from this game being simplistic.

Pooya

SquallASF said:
if you're strong enough to kill the big turtles go for them so you have a chance to get trapz while grinding for CP, if not then try Mission 24, with growth egg you get 12K CP and the drop sells for 6000gil, the stone and mark are in the same room in Taijin Tower so it's really easy to repeat the mission, the monster is so easy it goes down in 5-10 seconds. repeat this mission 1000 times and you will have enough gil and CP for maxing everything, but you will probably be bored to death before achieving this.

ZephyrFate said:
How can you legitimately dispute its prowess? It's a fucking beautiful game and you'd have to be blind to not see that.
it's uneven, just look at Archetype Steppe, it's just a flat boring grass texture stretched all over the place with pretty much no small detail in there and lots of monsters roaming in it.
or Vile peaks, it looked really boring worst chapter IMO.
or Chapter 10 it was just copy/paste level design.

hateradio

ZephyrFate said:
How can you legitimately dispute its prowess? It's a fucking beautiful game and you'd have to be blind to not see that.
I don't want to start a PC vs Console war, but I just wast blown away generally, except for a few locations. Everything was bland and boring, nothing dynamic, character models were decent, but nothing that I would go "OMG SO BOOTIFUL" and the fake-time renders don't count.

edit:

The scale of Pluse was nice, but it wasn't nice looking, I mean even the foggy blurry simplicity of SotC had more art direction than this stretch of land. Here it was blurry and uninteresting, the "golf" course joke is old, but it's fitting. Actually, that could have even been a mini game, but it wasn't ><

I was blown away by the size and details of the monsters on the Archylte Steppe, the beautiful vistas from certain angles, and the incredibly detailed side areas like the Yaschas Massif.

And honestly, the Gapra Whitewood tells both of you to shut the fuck up.

miladesn said:
if you're strong enough to kill the big turtles go for them so you have a chance to get trapz while grinding for CP, if not then try Mission 24, with growth egg you get 12K CP and the drop sells for 6000gil, the stone and mark are in the same room in Taijin Tower so it's really easy to repeat the mission, the monster is so easy it goes down in 5-10 seconds. repeat this mission 1000 times and you will have enough gil and CP for maxing everything, but you will probably be bored to death before achieving this.

it's uneven, just look at Archtype Steppe, it's just a flat boring grass texture stretched all over the place with pretty much no small detail in there and lots of monsters roaming in it.
or Vile peaks, it looked really boring worst chapter IMO.
or Chapter 10 it was just copy/paste level design.

Haven't tried the turtles, figured I wouldn't be strong enough until I maxed the grid post game. I still haven't tried upgrading anything either. I wanted to wait until I grab Lionheart from Chapter 12 first. I think I read that I can create a save where I sell all the accessories, then use the money to upgrade all the weapons. Get achievement, reload. Would it be enough money to just sell all acessories? I figured I could probably bounce around and beat all the missions before going on to chapter 12 and then beat the game before I try to get all weapons. Are there any missions I won't e able to handle until after post game?

Pooya

SquallASF said:
Haven't tried the turtles, figured I wouldn't be strong enough until I maxed the grid post game. I still haven't tried upgrading anything either. I wanted to wait until I grab Lionheart from Chapter 12 first. I think I read that I can create a save where I sell all the accessories, then use the money to upgrade all the weapons. Get achievement, reload. Would it be enough money to just sell all acessories? I figured I could probably bounce around and beat all the missions before going on to chapter 12 and then beat the game before I try to get all weapons. Are there any missions I won't e able to handle until after post game?
finish the game first, it will be much easier, you still haven't unlocked the unique abilities like Army of One, Death etc?

hateradio

ZephyrFate said:
I was blown away by the size and details of the monsters on the Archylte Steppe, the beautiful vistas from certain angles, and the incredibly detailed side areas like the Yaschas Massif.

And honestly, the Gapra Whitewood tells both of you to shut the fuck up.
Does ... not compute.

The areas around Archylte Steppe were horrid, filled with lo-res foliage and simplistic looking tall Q-Tips. The Gapra Whitewood was okay, and probably one of the most unique settings in the game, that's all I have to say.

Again, the scale of Pulse is good, but it's ...bland. Not to mention that the green color they chose makes the whole thing look even more like fake grass.

flower2ppl113synlawntrex_2.jpg

miladesn said:
finish the game first, it will be much easier, you still haven't unlocked the unique abilities like Army of One, Death etc?

I do, I used death for mission 55. I have Army of One but haven't tried it yet. It seems that I only have access to one grid of lvl 9 on the cryst. though (for each class) so I'm thinking I have to go to chapter 12 to make the next layer unlock?

The Gapra Whitewood didn't just look "okay", it was one of the most amazingly designed areas I've ever seen in a game. Not just in terms of graphics of anything, but just the extremely unique way that everything was set up and designed.

Magnus

BocoDragon said:
Adages like "show don't tell" have traditionally applied to linear narratives like books or movies. In those mediums, you either have a character explain some aspect of the world verbally, or you have a scene which indirectly communicates this information visually. With gaming, we have player interaction. You don't have to be shown or told... the player could also just "find" a story detail through his interaction. For the first time we have the ability to cut all exposition out of scripted scenes and place it into a format where the player can discover these details at their own leisure. It actually frees the narrative from talking heads and having to be beat over the head with visual clues about every aspect of the world.

Not that this is some objective improvement for storytelling. Not every game should do this. But I wouldn't condemn this style of story as worse... I actually find it refreshing that there is a wealth of added backstory that isn't beat into my head through cutscenes or NPCs... I can read it when I feel like it. Check out tidbits of the story on the way to switching my weapon. It's not unreasonable for an RPG game that already relies on spending time in a menu.

The datalog also helped SE pull off the early in media res scenes IMO. They started talking about Fal Cie and L'Cie and they had the luxury of not having unrealistic exposition dialogue "oh, L'Cie are.... blah blah blah". Everyone knows what L'Cie are in this world, there is no Tidus outsider character to give a reason for why the story is explaining everything to you about the world. The datalog lets them cut the talky BS and present the ultradrama.. then we can discover the meaning of those terms in detail if we desire, as a Cocoon native would already understand. IMO anyone who said that Fal'Cie/L'Cie were meaningless terms should have hit that datalog 20 minutes into the game. It's not like it doesn't remind you everytime it updates.

FFVIII used this encyclopedia in its storytelling as well.

I wish the LOTR movies had a datalog. :lol No idea what was going on in 9+ hours of that thing..

I agree with you 100%, except that an in-game, text-only datalog is a poor substitute for player interaction in a game. It's like the appendix at the end of the Lord of the Rings. There were numerous ways to expand on XIII's universe in the way the datalog did by building into the game world itself. No one can deny that even learning a bit of history from a character is going to be more interesting than reading it in menu-based encyclopedia.

In other words:

M°°nblade said:
The datalog is kind of a replacement for the NPC conversation. In previous FF games you had to press a button in front of an NPC to learn about the world. Now you press a button in the datalog menu. While this certainly lacks a virtual-social aspect, it does the job of explaining the story of the world.

This. Would love to see someone defend a datalog over towns and an actual interactive game world with people in it for the purpose of world-building.

ZephyrFate said:
I have no love for 8 nor any of its environments. IX is just perfect, so that's a no-duh sort of thing. The Forgotten City was great, if only for its music, but Midgar just came out of absolutely nowhere in its awesomeness.

Towns are pretty much just filler now with XIII's ridiculously addictive gameplay.

ZephyrFate said:
FF went 'unrecognizable' after IX. IX was the end-all of the series and everything afterward has just fallen apart.

No one takes you seriously anymore with statements like this. You need a crash course on argumentation dude. Every post of yours in here hurts my head. Can't state 'self-evident absolutes' in a thread full of thinking XIII-critics if you want to debate this for real.

ZephyrFate said:
I know, I'm right.

:lol

ZephyrFate said:
It's a bit unfair to use FF7's Midgar as that was the only imaginative or worthwhile part to the entire game.

What? :lol

ZephyrFate said:
There's more atmosphere in Midgar than in most games out there -- not many games outside of, say, Blade Runner, have perfectly encapsulated modern dystopia, not in a wasteland (like a Fallout) but in a world heading towards it, slowly sapping away at its own misery and myopia. It's a bit unfair to use Midgar, which is arguably one of the best 'cities' ever envisioned in games, and compare it to XIII which has an entirely different focus and, for the most part, shies away from the dystopia.

That's the problem! XIII is ultra-dystopic, and you never get to see it! Cocoon seems like a goddamned paradise in flashbacks, but then we're led to empathize with a party whose focus becomes all about defending their home, their world and their lives against Fal'cie dominance and control. We don't even know their world. We don't get to see what's wrong. We don't get to talk with the people. Everything about XIII's experience is confined to the conversations between the six primary characters. It's like watching a stage play with no props, no backgrounds, no history. Oh, but I can always look down at the programme (aka datalog) mid-show to fill in the gaps. How miserable.

And Blade Runner isn't a game.

ZephyrFate said:
The gameplay of XIII is enough for me to put it above nearly every other FF game outside of IX, which it cannot touch with a million foot pole.

Hey yeah, at least IX let you tell each character what to do. On game design principles alone, that's a plus.

Rez said:
the pre-rendered backdrops had a hundred million times more visual charisma than anything in ten, twelve or thirteen, that much is true. the series lost a lot in going 3D.

I regrettably agree, a lot. :( XII managed to keep the world around us feeling pretty lush and varied, going from jungles, to deserts, to airship corridors, to factories, to sewers, etc. XIII assaults us with so much of the same until Chapter 11. It's unfortunate.

RpgN said:
The game not having real towns and mini-games are falid complains, but saying that Oerba town is boring and not liking it and compairing how it's better done with other FFs?

Oerba town is just as atmospheric as the other towns in FF9, 8 etc.

You see that town ruined and there are still remains left that people used to live there. A small class room that is ruined, has books lying around, the clock not moving and some light coming out of the window as a small hope. Vanille's house is FULL with details, the kitchen with plates and whatnot. A mini chocobo doll hanged up on a wall, if you click on the description it says that lots of young kids used to have those. Pakuti, a malfunctioning pet robot that belonged to Vanille, you could find the parts back to repair it. And when you did it would help you and explain more about the world. The garden on top of the class room looks gorgeous, full with flowers and ruined of course. You could easily make Oerba sound interesting as well if you want to Himuro.

I wasn't crazy about Oerba, but I will agree that it had me empathizing with the loss people must have faced there a hundred times more than anything on Cocoon. The game never puts you in touch with Cocoon's people, outside of Chapter 1's NORA and Hope's family, and Nautilus (albeit briefly). How am I supposed to care for an entire world and want my party to save it when I can't even visit it and see what's worth saving?

Little details, even the fairly hollow ones in Oerba, enrich a game world. Just the brief back and forth there instead of a corridor managed to actually break up the pace. Such little things make a big impact.

Nevertheless, it managed to be just about as boring, and it's kind of laughable to even consider it a traditional FF town. As far as gameplay went, outside of the historical touch given to it while exploring, it boiled down to just another XIII 'dungeon':

dramatis said:
It's atmospheric? I felt it was dull. You spend all this time walking there and when you get there it's just another dungeon, it was hardly rewarding at all. The mixture of metal homes with stone ruins didn't work so well, leading the town to lack cohesion in its culture. When you don't care about Vanille, then would you care about all the details of her home? The way you describe it, Oerba can only be interesting if the player is invested in Vanille. Otherwise it is a dead dungeon.

Interest in a world can be built with setpieces. But genuine atmosphere and life is breathed into a world via people, not pretty scenery. Oerba is an example of how stupidly centered the game is on the characters, because that 'town' was built solely for Vanille. What about the other people that existed on Pulse? What about those crazy fal'Cie worshippers mentioned in the novels? Where are the vestiges of their existence? Even Nautilus, self-indulgent as it is, is a better example of atmosphere, detail, and world-building than Oerba.

This, a thousand times this. This the hallmark of roleplaying games. This was the hallmark of Final Fantasy.

DangerousDave said:
When FF VII lauched, FF VI was the tru hardcore FF fans game, VII was for newcomers and 3d-whores.
When FF VIII lauched, FF VII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, VIII was for newcomers and emos.
When FF IX lauched, FF VIII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, IX was for newcomers and kids.
When FF X lauched, FF IX was the tru hardcore FF fans game, X was for newcomers and casuals.
When FF XII lauched, FF X was the tru hardcore FF fans game, XII was for newcomers and mmo fans.
When FF XIII lauched, FF XII was the tru hardcore FF fans game, XIII was for newcomers and graphicwhores.

This seems bizarrely accurate to a lot of reactions I remember about each new installment upon their release. :lol

It's not how I felt personally, but yes, I remember the web consensus feeling this way a lot of the time.

Yazus said:

You kidding me? Comparisons are vital, across series, genres, and all of gaming. We know what we love from past games, and are eager to see solid gameplay used again and built on.

Final Fantasy has built a name for itself as an RPG pioneer. Its name carries tremendous weight. It's perfectly reasonable for long-time fans to become disgruntled when an installment in the series takes what we believe to be a wrong turn in terms of storytelling, gameplay or character building. Final Fantasy actively encourages comparisons to its antecedent installments as well by re-using names all over the place. It's one series, through and through. All the games since IV have run on some version of the ATB for battle. Comparisons are inevitable and a practical way to discuss how things have evolved and changed.

And props to Himuro and others for the town defense some pages back. Those were worlds with life and history that I can't help but remember.

Pooya

SquallASF said:
I do, I used death for mission 55. I have Army of One but haven't tried it yet. It seems that I only have access to one grid of lvl 9 on the cryst. though (for each class) so I'm thinking I have to go to chapter 12 to make the next layer unlock?
you need to finish the game to unlock the last layer.

Magnus

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The Gapra Whitewood didn't just look "okay", it was one of the most amazingly designed areas I've ever seen in a game. Not just in terms of graphics of anything, but just the extremely unique way that everything was set up and designed.

It was a little forgettable to me (shades of Macalania, only more boring), but I can't recall anything unique about its design aside from visuals. It was a series of one-way paths, an occasional divergence to a treasure chest, and some lifts that took you up or down.

Then you had to kill some monsters to drop an electric fence a couple times.

Did I miss something?

Pooya

Magnus said:
It was a little forgettable to me (shades of Macalania, only more boring), but I can't recall anything unique about its design aside from visuals. It was a series of one-way paths, an occasional divergence to a treasure chest, and some lifts that took you up or down.

Then you had to kill some monsters to drop an electric fence a couple times.

Did I miss something?
follow the lights! they show the right path!

best looking areas for me were Lake Bresha (played through it 3 times now), Nautilus Park and Eden.

hateradio

ZephyrFate said:
Uh what? Yaschas Massif is filled with enormous fauna, buzzing butterflies, beautiful valley canyons...
Fauna, I know they have monsters, I'm not talking about that since they're not the biggest eye sore. Butterflies, okay... Canyons, that you never get to visit. Wasn't that also the place with the hauntingly bad elevator music?

Magnus

ZephyrFate said:
Nope: It's the Shakespearean undertrappings, the 'game as a play' thematic, the visuals, the gorgeous music, the charming story and characters, the epic movies...

and Vivi.

Woah, I almost missed this gem. Shakespearean undertrappings? :lol

Every story told for the last few hundred years features Shakespearean undertrappings. The modern conception of love itself, ripped and bleeding all over the FF franchise, is a Shakespearean undertrapping.

IX had a wonderfully charming world, and I seriously dug it. But man. :lol

miladesn said:
follow the lights! they show the right path.

Holy shit, I almost forgot that that line was in the game! :lol Whoever said the game trolled itself from an early point was right.

Lake Bresha, now that was a vision worth beholding.

Pooya

Magnus said:
Holy shit, I almost forgot that that line was in the game! :lol Whoever said the game trolled itself from an early point was right.
there was another instance like this in the game too, when you first reach the Archetype Steppe, and Light is in your party but not the leader, she says something like "Looks like this place is not boring!", forgot the exact sentence.

Magnus

100% Anecdotal: I just asked three friends on AIM who are all past Chapter 10 what they thought of the Gapra Whitewood. All three asked me, "what was that?" I described the area as objectively as possible, and I swear to god, all three replied, "Oh, you mean Macalania." :lol

miladesn said:
there was another instance like this in the game too, when you first reach the Archetype Steppe, and Light is in your party but not the leader, she says something like "Looks like this place is not boring!", forgot the exact sentence.

Oh totally -- back fifty pages or so I mentioned it too.

You come out into the Steppe, and Light says:

"I think it's safe to say this place won't be boring." I actually choked a little on my drink, spat a bit up, trying not to laugh.

Aw, Himuro, come on dude -- I love you, but Lake Bresha was memorable. I remembered that name and place vividly, it's so fucking gorgeous.

burgerdog

Himuro said:
How are you guys able to remember the locations in this game? You guys are citing locations names as if you actually REMEMBER them. HOW? For me it's,"crystal lake, junkyard, place with lights that 'guide' you" that's really it.
I like the game and other than Pulse and Eden I don't know the name of any other area in the game.

Magnus

Himuro said:
I didn't say it wasn't gorgeous. I'm just completely incapable of remembering any of the locations in the game because they all feel so random and there's a huge disconnect for me; it doesn't even feel like an actual "world", hence the problem.

lol, alright.

I'm bizarrely more anxious than ever to see what comes next from FF and from the team that made this game, specifically. I want to see what lessons were learned, what unfortunate elements were carried over, and what they do next to advance gameplay, given that all their time with this game seemed to be spent on the engine and visuals (my opinion).

burgerdog

Magnus said:
100% Anecdotal: I just asked three friends on AIM who are all past Chapter 10 what they thought of the Gapra Whitewood. All three asked me, "what was that?" I described the area as objectively as possible, and I swear to god, all three replied, "Oh, you mean Macalania." :lol
Yea, I'm sure all of them said the exact same thing. Hyperbole ftw.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
hateradio said:
Fauna, I know they have monsters, I'm not talking about that since they're not the biggest eye sore. Butterflies, okay... Canyons, that you never get to visit. Wasn't that also the place with the hauntingly bad elevator music?
Pfft.. hauntingly bad? Some might call that jazz flute. That's baby-making music right there.

Rpgmonkey

badcrumble said:
To be fair, once you can beat Mission 64 to get the Gold Watch you're basically ready to steamroll anything in the game that isn't a Long Gui or a Xiaolong Gui. But yeah, I'm going to finish starring the missions and kill a Long Gui, but honestly after finishing all the missions I've pretty much lost my motivation to get the Treasure Hunter trophy. If Square-Enix announces DLC for the game that sounds like it's to my liking, that'll likely change and I'll keep powering up my accessories in preparation for it, but I was having a blast finishing the game up through the missions, and then suddenly now that I've done that I have very little incentive to keep playing the game. I may be weird about this, but even after maxing everything out in FFX I enjoyed equipping a No Encounters piece of equipment and walking the entire path of Spira, and even after maxing everything out in FFXII that wasn't that got-damn Danjuro I enjoyed just wandering around Ivalice sometimes. That doesn't really exist for me in FFXIII/Pulse and it's difficult to articulate why. Maybe I'm just burned out and I'll change my mind after taking some time off.

That's the same thing that keeps happening to me. :lol

Personally, I think Pulse has too much emphasis on killing stuff, and it's just a sorta boring and uninteresting place. Once I killed everything and looked upon the world I conquered, I noticed how...lonely the place is, and how the missions were only a temporary replacement for that void.

A new game+ that unlocks everything from the start and had several other bonuses would've been pretty awesome.

ronito

say what you want about FFIX Zephyr, but even you have to admit that the battle pace is glacial and that kills the main thing that a game is supposed to be, fun.

Magnus

burgerdog said:
Yea, I'm sure all of them said the exact same thing. Hyperbole ftw.

I'm sorry. One of them said, "Oh, the one that looked like Macalania."

I exaggerated. Sorry! Was anecdotal anyway, I won't use it to argue anything. I just thought it was hilarious that among the four of us, we all identified it as an icy-forest knockoff of X's woods, which I remember thinking were a knockoff of something from Fellowship of the Ring themselves. Loth'lorien I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom