• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you receive a doom in a normal boss, probably is because you're doing it wrong. I've never received a Doom, probably is something triggered when you spent too much time fighting a boss.

I'm in chapter 13, and I have the option to go to pals (and other place, I think it's outside Eden).

I didn't found yet the magical 32000 CP guys of chapter 13, so I don't know if continuing 13 or it's better to go to Pals and do some hunts. The last battles were quite difficult, and probably I'll need a little leveling.

So, gaf, gimme options:

- Continue 13, level a little with the enemies of that level and finish the game.

- Continue 13 to level a little, and then go back to Pulse.

- Going straight to Pulse, do some new hunts and five-star the first ones, and later finish the game.

Pappasman

DangerousDave said:
If you receive a doom in a normal boss, probably is because you're doing it wrong. I've never received a Doom, probably is something triggered when you spent too much time fighting a boss.

I'm in chapter 13, and I have the option to go to pals (and other place, I think it's outside Eden).

I didn't found yet the magical 32000 CP guys of chapter 13, so I don't know if continuing 13 or it's better to go to Pals and do some hunts. The last battles were quite difficult, and probably I'll need a little leveling.

So, gaf, gimme options:

- Continue 13, level a little with the enemies of that level and finish the game.

- Going straight to Pulse, do some new hunts and five-star the first ones, and later finish the game.

I went back to pulse to farm CP until everyone had maxed out their 3 best roles.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IronFistedChampion said:
What should I use against the
Juggernaut
in Chapter 11? Do I have to beat him in order to beat the mission or can I just skip him?

You can skip fighting them. It gets much easier after you unlock the next level of the Crystarium anyway.

DangerousDave said:

So, gaf, gimme options:

The 32k guys are right at the end of 13, but they're so difficult compared to the usual farming spot on Gran Pulse that I don't think it's worth it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
IronFistedChampion said:
Juggernaut
in Chapter 11? Do I have to beat him in order to beat the mission or can I just skip him?

I never fought it.

Lightning

Banned
IronFistedChampion said:
Juggernaut
Have a Synerist cast Barfire on your party, have a Sabotuer cast negative status effects on him and then just attack with a COM/RAV/RAV party healing when neccessary.

The key is to keep putting negative status effects on him, as it makes him initiate his steam cleaning move, and while he is doing this he is defenseless and not attacking you alllowing you to quickly build up the stagger guage without the need to heal.

The party I used was Lightning/Vanille/Hope.

Amon37

I've resigned myself to having to grind some I just cannot beat
Orphan's first form
I don't do enough damage in the stagger period and if I do get it below 50% HP it spams
Dies Iries
and I can't keep up.

Eliciel

Magnus said:
I literally had two paradigms, and won, on like the third try.

SAB/RAV (though I don't think Fang's RAV actually did much of anything -- she could probably just stand there, since it was Vanille's SAB debuffs that actually built up the gestalt gauge on their own)

and MED/SEN, which I flipped to every time Hecatoncheir started in for an attack. Once they were both over say, 80% health, I immediately switched back.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373902

:)

Full gaf commentary, screens, video/mp3 were made by a user for download, the works. Was quite an awesome concert.

Ohh :lol allright hehe ;)

Ok now next time I am going to use the search funktion, thanks.

Pooya

Amon37 said:
I've resigned myself to having to grind some I just cannot beat
Orphan's first form
I don't do enough damage in the stagger period and if I do get it below 50% HP it spams
Dies Iries
and I can't keep up.
keep him poisoned, it's HP goes down really fast if you do

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finally beat the game an hour ago. I really enjoyed the awe-inspiring aesthetics of the final areas and the last bosses. I was able to beat the final boss after 2 tries, even with 80% protection from death I was still absolutely nerve-wracked during the fight. And to make matters worse during the final few slivers of its HP I ran out of phoenix downs and had no medic roles on any other characters. That shit was intense! And the ending was pretty good too. Now I can finally open my LE guide and trudge through this thread I have been avoiding for so long.

darkwings

Banned
The battle theme really gets dull quickly, and it never changes through-out the game! A lot of RPGs switches up the battle theme, while this game keeps going with the same old, same old. With so many different tunes, it wouldn't hurt to have more than one main theme.

Oh well atleast the Boss battle theme is awesome.

darkwings said:
The battle theme really gets dull quickly, and it never changes through-out the game! A lot of RPGs switches up the battle theme, while this game keeps going with the same old, same old. With so many different tunes, it wouldn't hurt to have more than one main theme.

You sure about that? Chapter 13's normal battles have a different theme. Its the one used during some of the Eidolon fights. Also the game often has fights w/o any battle theme and uses whatever the field music you are on is. I think they did a good job switching it up overall.

darkwings said:

It wouldn't be so dull if we haven't been hearing it for 4 FUCKIN YEARS!

Shanks

Okay Gaf I need some serious help with the end boss. I have maxed out the three main roles and one of the secondary roles for all characters. I have Lightenings, Vaniles, Sazh, and Fangs tier two weapon maxed out. The second form of the last boss is just trashing the shit out of me and I have no idea what to do. What are some recommended accessories or strats you guys used to beat it? I can't take on those turtle things to try and get the catalyst for ultimate weapons yet can I? Is there any other way to get those because there is no way I'm going to get 2 million gil. Do the baby ones drop em?

Shanks said:
Okay Gaf I need some serious help with the end boss. I have maxed out the three main roles and one of the secondary roles for all characters. I have Lightenings, Vaniles, Sazh, and Fangs tier two weapon maxed out. The second form of the last boss is just trashing the shit out of me and I have no idea what to do. What are some recommended accessories or strats you guys used to beat it? I can't take on those turtle things to try and get the catalyst for ultimate weapons yet can I? Is there any other way to get those because there is no way I'm going to get 2 million gil. Do the baby ones drop em?

Buy some Cherub Crowns and then upgrade them into Seraph Crowns. A few of these should protect you from its instant death attack. That is probably what is killing you. I had 80% protection from death on my main character and that was enough to get by. I didn't need ultimate weapons to beat it.

sam27368

Banned
60hrs into it, post game, 95% mark
missions complete (60% 5 star'd). How long did it take you crazy cats to platinum? I'm scared for my social life when FF14 rolls round because I've become intensely addicted to 13, and when 14 is here.. it will never end!

Zoe

ULTROS! said:
Mission Bosses like the
Big Cactuar
are killers. Any tips to beat
Big Cactuar
?

Lucky Breaker (or whatever it's called in the English version)

Shanks said:

You shouldn't have to work so hard to beat the last boss (especially maxing out non-default roles and getting ultimate weapons). You need to work on your strategy.

Pooya

sam27368 said:
60hrs into it, post game, 95% mark
missions complete (60% 5 star'd). How long did it take you crazy cats to platinum? I'm scared for my social life when FF14 rolls round because I've become intensely addicted to 13, and when 14 is here.. it will never end!
I finished the story in ~38 hours, so that's ~60 hours of completing missions and grinding for me. I 5 stared all the missions on my first or second try, I finished all the missions at around 65 hours playtime. then farming for trapz ,dark matter and gil for 30 hours, I think I dismantled a genji glove or two to get the the last 2 trapz I needed. it's the second game that I got all the trophies/achievements, I usually don't bother. farming trapz was very tedious and boring though.

Cloudy

Banned
Ugh, I'm still on this freakin' chap 9 boss (have tried about 4 times this week lol)

I can survive the destructoid now (grinding lol) but he casts doom on me and kills Lightning with about a third of his HP left. I can't seem to stagger him more than once cos his destructoid cancels the bar. Man, this is one of the cheapest bosses I can remember :lol

What is the best paradigm to stagger him? Relentless Assault or Tri-Disaster?

Papercuts

Peff said:
Yep, level 9 though :lol (End of chapter 11 for reference).

Does the AI ever use them? I got the one for hope(last resort? something like that) but he hasn't done it yet.

Cloudy said:
Ugh, I'm still on this freakin' chap 9 boss (have tried about 4 times this week lol)

I can survive the destructoid now (grinding lol) but he casts doom on me and kills Lightning with about a third of his HP left. I can't seem to stagger him more than once cos his destructoid cancels the bar. Man, this is one of the cheapest bosses I can remember :lol

What is the best paradigm to stagger him? Relentless Assault or Tri-Disaster?

A mix. Use relentless assualt so the bar goes down slowly, then do tri-disaster to quickly chain it up. What's your party right now? I'd recommend using hope if you aren't, and make sure he has Shell and Protect, those saved my ass.

And I agree 100% with you, I nearly quit the game at that part. I'm at the middle of chapter 12 now and nothing has been close to as hard as that was.

Cloudy said:
I can survive the destructoid now (grinding lol) but he casts doom on me and kills Lightning with about a third of his HP left.

He's casting doom because you're taking too long. You're probably being to cautious.

The best tactic is to just pummel him especially when he's casting Destrudo. If you have a party consisting of Fang, Lightning and Hope switch to Combat Clinic (SEN/MED/MED) until you're looking good again. I didn't bother with buffs and debuffs and I managed to beat him once I figured out what Destrudo does.

Stick to Relentless Assault for the majority of the battle and Aggression (COM/COM/RAV) when he's staggered.

Styles

Cloudy said:
I'm using Light/Snow/Vanille but I might just switch to Hope as the med/syn and use Fang as sen/sab. So frustrating :(

You definitely need a syn, used Sazh, just because he had haste at the time.

Papercuts

Cloudy said:
I'm using Light/Snow/Vanille but I might just switch to Hope as the med/syn and use Fang as sen/sab. So frustrating :(

I was doing Lightning/Sazh/Vanille and got demolished until I swapped Vanille for Hope.

miladesn said:
No, you must be in control.
Zoe said:

Fuuuuck that's stupid, I would rather not play as the guy with the worst HP.

Zoe

Papercuts said:
Fuuuuck that's stupid, I would rather not play as the guy with the worst HP.

Hope is awesome. I only ever used his special against (mission 40+ spoiler)
Tonberrys
though.

Papercuts

Zoe said:
Hope is awesome. I only ever used his special against (mission 40+ spoiler)
Tonberrys
though.

Hope is probably the best party member IMO, I always have him with me. Playing him is a different story when you lose if the leader falls though. :p

I dunno, I might try it out. I guess on the bright side I'd be able to cast shell and protect right after haste like I would normally want anyway.

entremet

So apparently there a lot of Sazh tactics to defeat turtles. Strange since his stats suck, but I guess the chaining ability of Cold Bold and his multi hitting Blitz variation is the ticket to these strategies. I've always like Sazh, but his stats are a downer.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
entrement said:
So apparently there a lot of Sazh tactics to defeat turtles. Strange since his stats suck, but I guess the chaining ability of Cold Bold and his multi hitting Blitz variation is the ticket to these strategies. I've always like Sazh, but his stats are a downer.

What's the chain ability of Cold Bold?
An instant chain fill?

D23

I just beat it, took me 45 hours total.
this game was EPIC!! i hope square will make FF XIII-2.
this is the first final fantasy game that i beat in less than a month, its soo goood.

Cep said:
Yeah, this is the reason why I only really like the games with the extensive job systems(V, X-2, XII:I).

Replaying offers extremely different experiences.
I always wanted to try XII:I, but not enough to actually jump through the required hoops. Character progression (license board or w/e) in vanilla XII was a bit too open for me... I like to experiment but not quite to that extent.

X-2 has the non-linear mission structure in addition to all the other good stuff, so it's fun to play around and see if you can do harder areas first, etc. I've never played V myself and I don't know much about it except that it's the snob choice and that you keep mentioning it all the time. :p

I think I will bust out X-2 now and play again.

Papercuts said:
Hope is probably the best party member IMO, I always have him with me. Playing him is a different story when you lose if the leader falls though. :p
True that, heh. I can't have him as leader because of his low HP, so he's always back up and he dies/gets hit with fair frequency. Unlike Vanille's weird sex noises, his VA is good enough that I know when he's getting hit hard because his "ow" noises actually make it sound like he's being beat up. :lol

Any tips on Mission 62? Its 2 of those stone guys that put up the barrier. There must be something im forgetting to do because i cant seem to do enough damage over time before they end up dual casting at the same fucking time, knocking my guys in the air.

Rpgmonkey

I'm curious about something:

For those that had Doom cast on them (not including Eidolons of course), do you remember your final score at the end of the battle?

Just want to know if it's an automatic thing that happens if your score reaches 0, or if it's just a plain "you're not being offensive enough!" mechanism.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
status update: I never picked up the game and played it again.

I got 30 hours of enjoyment out of it, made it to Cjapter 11, and I now have no desire to continue.

Good game.

Rpgmonkey said:
I'm curious about something:

For those that had Doom cast on them (not including Eidolons of course), do you remember your final score at the end of the battle?

Just want to know if it's an automatic thing that happens if your score reaches 0, or if it's just a plain "you're not being offensive enough!" mechanism.

Its cast after a certain amount of time.

Cloudy

Banned
OMG, just switched to Light/Fang/Hope and beat him on the first try. Synergist casting slow was the trick. Feels good, man :D

I don't like that the game punishes cautious players like me though. My instict is to always have a fulltime healer >_<

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I always wanted to try XII:I, but not enough to actually jump through the required hoops. Character progression (license board or w/e) in vanilla XII was a bit too open for me... I like to experiment but not quite to that extent.

X-2 has the non-linear mission structure in addition to all the other good stuff, so it's fun to play around and see if you can do harder areas first, etc. I've never played V myself and I don't know much about it except that it's the snob choice and that you keep mentioning it all the time. :p

Nah, six and nine are.

Five is a very good game though, it has that camp that 7th keeps on prattling about, except it is not unbearably bad. The game started my love of for Gilgamesh.

Ok how in the fuck do you kill the big fat robot and his other stupid robots? As soon as I kill his robots he just spawns 3 more. I have tried with Fang/Sazh/Hope and Fang/Lightning/Snow and no matter what I do I always get my ass kicked. WTF?

Rpgmonkey

Gamer @ Heart said:
Its cast after a certain amount of time.

Well, yeah, but your score is determined by the time.

Was just curious if the point in time where the score reaches 0 is when it's cast, or if it can happen before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom