• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
ULTROS! said:
Didn't MGS4 and GTAIV come out sorta late this gen and still get high scores?
Yeah, but if you are going to bring up Metal Gear, then I'm gonna pull out the "scores don't matter" card because the lowest rated main entry in that series is also the fan favorite. So nyeh!

Dresden said:
They were great games, though. Although GTA certainly didn't deserve all the hyperbole.
Eh, neither of them were as great as their critical response indicated.

ZeroRay

I'm in the snob fanboy emo camp then. :lol

GTA4 was a huge letdown. This game's not so stellar reviews made me like it more due to my lowered expectations.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Conclusion: People are very nit-picky nowadays especially when the hype trains comes up.

I don't hate FFXIII, although it could be better by extending the gameplay

entrement said:
I don't know, I'm really enjoying FFXIII.
Nah, it's a good game, I liked it too. I think review scores are kind of pointless anyway, and I'm not sure what they're supposed to be used as a metric for - certainly not quality. New car smell maybe?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Himuro said:
Chapter 12 sucks.

How much farther am I from beating this game? I'm fighting a rematch versus the pretty boy silver haired bad guy in his ship mech thing.

5-7 hours I'm guessing, if you don't count the hunts. Next chapter is the last one anyway.

ULTROS!

I just noticed that all the PS360 sequels of the PS1/2 mega-franchises (GTAIV, MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken 6, and DMC4) were all disappointments in most of the gamers' eyes. :lol

Styles

ULTROS! said:
I just noticed that all the PS360 sequels of the PS1/2 mega-franchises (GTAIV, MGS4, FFXIII, Tekken 6, and DMC4) were all disappointments in most of the gamers' eyes. :lol

Pretty sad really.

ULTROS! said:

I'm okay with that. I personally enjoyed most of them and this generation has given us some pretty fantastic new IPs.

ULTROS!

Pai Pai Master said:
I'm okay with that. This generation has given us some pretty fantastic new IPs.

No argument there. Uncharted, Bayonetta, Resonance of Fate, and Valkyria Chronicles were awesome.

ULTROS! said:

MGS4 was still Gaf's GOTY. It wasn't until after the fact that people started to hate on it. You know...just like every game ever.

Dresden

Fimbulvetr said:
Just according to Focus.
Note: focus means keikaku.

I was more surprised by the number of people who were going for platinum achievements and stuff, though. I found grinding way too tedious in this game.

icarus-daedelus said:
+

10-2 and Tactics: fans of superior combat or superior stories

Fixed.

It's weird that many fans of the most campy/non-serious FF are also fans of the darkest/most mature(not that those last two are related in any way, they just happen to both be in this game) FF. And yes, I am a douche for saying all that un-ironically.

+

VII Complication: Likes mediocrity.

Magnus

IronFistedChampion said:
Ugh, finally beat the asshole by using a Deceptisol, getting all my buffs, and using Relentless Assault to stagger him with the help of a preemptive strike. That was really freaking annoying for a first mission.

The blue watery ooze by the water? :(

Fimbulvetr said:
Fixed.

It's weird that many fans of the most campy/non-serious FF are also fans of the darkest/most mature(not that those last two are related in any way, they just happen to both be in this game) FF. And yes, I am a douche for saying all that un-ironically.

+

VII Complication: Likes mediocrity.

What? VIII is the darkest and most mature. DIDN'T YOU KNOW SQUALL DIES!

Himuro said:
I didn't have a ps3 when MGS4 came out.

If I did, I'd still say the same thing.

The game is trash.

Eh, I liked it. Different strokes and all that.

Himuro said:
FF5, 6, 8, Tactics, 12, and 10-2 are my favorites.

Where's your Fal'cie now?
Awesome, somebody to finally join my snobby snob club. We can wear top hats and smoke cigars and talk about the good ol' days when Final Fantasy was all about dress spheres and backstabbing.

ULTROS! said:
Don't forget RE5!

Red Scarlet

I'm really hoping a friend of mine gets this before me, so he can tell ME what to do, unlike the other 12 where I tell him what to do.

BTW when I play it I am gonna make a crapload of Vanille avs, screw you guys.

Speaking of FF8, I am currently trying a solo Squall game. I think it'll be ok if I use Zell as Squall when he isn't available. Will it work out?

Red Scarlet said:
I'm really hoping a friend of mine gets this before me, so he can tell ME what to do, unlike the other 12 where I tell him what to do.

BTW when I play it I am gonna make a crapload of Vanille avs, screw you guys.

Yo Boco, looks like we got a mod on the VDF. High five!

icarus-daedelus said:
Awesome, somebody to finally join my snobby snob club. We can wear top hats and smoke cigars and talk about the good ol' days when Final Fantasy was all about dress spheres and backstabbing.

Ah yes, changing clothes and manipulating the opposition is the true essence of Final Fantasy.
vreanm_th.gif

We can also talk about how betrayal is done badly now a days.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:

Don't forget RE5!
Let's not forget murderous brothers and vague incestuous undertones.

Oh, and lesbians.

Dresden said:

Oh, and lesbians. And rape.

Fixed.

cosmicblizzard said:
What? VIII is the darkest and most mature. DIDN'T YOU KNOW SQUALL DIES!

Move over Citizen Kane and Metroid Prime; we have a new cinematic work of art to look up to. :eek:

cosmicblizzard said:
Yo Boco, looks like we got a mod on the VDF. High five!
Damn, I might have to bring back the Fang avatar, then. We're already so outnumbered :eek:

Dresden said:

Oh, and lesbians.
I think you know which of those three things is most important.

Fimbulvetr said:
Ah yes, changing clothes and manipulating the opposition is the true essence of Final Fantasy.
Right, my good sir, but I simply cannot tolerate a Final Fantasy game without a surfeit of zippers! Or is it a dearth of zippers? I get my snob words mixed up sometimes.

Red Scarlet

I don't know when that is. I actually saw this game at wal mart for sale today. It was pretty messed up. Ever since 1997 I have gotten an FF as soon as it came out in Japan except for 10 and 13 now. Seems really weird.

Dresden

Himuro said:
One more chapter.

If I push myself I can beat it tomorrow, sell it, and play some STRANGE JOURNEY!!! oh, and L4D2. :D
It's odd how enjoyable dungeon-crawling is when you come to it right after FFXIII.

Dresden

Himuro said:
Have you played ANY after playing some of FF13? It's such a breath of fresh air.

"WOW THIS GAME WILL LET ME PLAY IT."
I thought for a while that Resonance of Fate was the GREATEST RPG OF ALL TIME because I played it right after XIII. I know the feeling.

Dresden

Himuro said:
Well if it's anything similar to Valkrie Profile 2 it's probably close.
So I hear. Still a very good game, although I've put it aside for now to beat Strange Journey.

Red Scarlet said:
Everyone just plays RoF cause of the 'small rack' lady. That's all I know about the game.
I mainly played because I could give everyone glasses. Glasses=love. I think that's why I liked P4 so much.

Red Scarlet said:
Everyone just plays RoF cause of the 'small rack' lady. That's all I know about the game.

No, it's cause of Nolan North and all the unnecessary back-flipping.

Dresden said:
I mainly played because I could give everyone glasses. Glasses=love. I think that's why I liked P4 so much.

It's weird that Teddie conveniently made them glasses that fit their style so well.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So what's everyone's XIII post-recovery game going to be?

I don't know whether to steer into the belly of the beast with the linear and anime FFX or X-2 (to compare them in light of XIII).. play a new game like RoF... or play FFXII.

In my heart I want to return to Ivalice and actually explore around!.... the linearity of XIII has killed my soul. It's worth a return to XIII's antithesis.... the International patched verson should do... I just need to get a modchip.... :p

Vect said:
Huh? Oh 'cocoon inhabitants.
No shit though... he was in there? :lol :lol :lol Of course he was.

BocoDragon said:

I don't know whether to steer into the belly of the beast with the linear and anime FFX or X-2 (to compare them in light of XIII).. play a new game like RoF... or play FFXII.

In my heart I want to return to Ivalice and actually explore around!.... the linearity of XIII has killed my soul. It's worth a return to XIII's antithesis.... the International patched verson should do... I just need to get a modchip.... :p

I've been playing the original Grandia. Never finished it. The battle system feels sooooo slow after playing this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
cosmicblizzard said:
I've been playing the original Grandia. Never finished it. The battle system feels sooooo slow after playing this.
I can only imagine. Still I heard that's a classic.

Pooya

BocoDragon said:

No shit though... he was in there? :lol :lol :lol Of course he was.
I'm going to finally finish Lost Odyssey (I was early in disk 4 last time I played) , Uematsu <3
after that RoF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom