• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cep said:
Nah, six and nine are.

Five is a very good game though, it has that camp that 7th keeps on prattling about, except it is not unbearably bad. The game started my love of for Gilgamesh.

I actually agree that it's the snob choice.

The way I see it.

6 and 7: Fanboys
5,9 and 12: Snobs
8, 10 and 13: Punks that may also be emo
4: Jealous of 6's fanbase
1 and 3: Rabid nostalgia people
2: No one

Styles

Gamer @ Heart said:
Any tips on Mission 62? Its 2 of those stone guys that put up the barrier. There must be something im forgetting to do because i cant seem to do enough damage over time before they end up dual casting at the same fucking time, knocking my guys in the air.

That mission was a bitch to deal with. Have you equppied some elemental rings? Who do you have in your party? Remember to use shrouds before the battle.

rataven

Rpgmonkey said:
I'm curious about something:

For those that had Doom cast on them (not including Eidolons of course), do you remember your final score at the end of the battle?

Just want to know if it's an automatic thing that happens if your score reaches 0, or if it's just a plain "you're not being offensive enough!" mechanism.
The chapter 9 boss cast this on me when I was closing in on 20 minutes. I beat him, but zero-scored the battle. I suck, but was just glad to finally get past him.

There's probably some hidden time mark, might be different for each boss, that once you pass it, you'll get hit with Doom.

EDIT: FFV is a GREAT game. Best FF on the SNES. Oh yes it is.

Mandoric

Banned
IronFistedChampion said:
Ok how in the fuck do you kill the big fat robot and his other stupid robots? As soon as I kill his robots he just spawns 3 more. I have tried with Fang/Sazh/Hope and Fang/Lightning/Snow and no matter what I do I always get my ass kicked. WTF?

Spawners spawn indefinitely. Open the battle CRSyn, switch to CRR as soon as basic damage buffs are up, and pound away until the big one dies, then switch to MSenSab to clear the buffs it gave, and finish them off.

FF13 battles are really more about flow than anything else, since there's no real ability ablation. Since few enemies heal, it's about always, always making sure (your HP /(enemy DPS - your healing per second)) is a bigger number than (enemy HP/your DPS), and the easiest way to do this here is to burst damage on the big one and kill him before he can buff/summon enough friends.

Mandoric said:
Spawners spawn indefinitely. Open the battle CRSyn, switch to CRR as soon as basic damage buffs are up, and pound away until the big one dies, then switch to MSenSab to clear the buffs it gave, and finish them off.

FF13 battles are really more about flow than anything else, since there's no real ability ablation. Since few enemies heal, it's about always, always making sure (your HP /(enemy DPS - your healing per second)) is a bigger number than (enemy HP/your DPS), and the easiest way to do this here is to burst damage on the big one and kill him before he can buff/summon enough friends.
The problem is when I use Relentless Assault or Aggression against the big guy both of my party members die after about 2 rounds of attacks from all 3 small robots bashing them; then I get killed against all 4 robots.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

The way I see it.

Put X-2 with 5/12 and call me(and I suppose, duckroll) Mr. Snob.

I like this list.

Cep said:
Nah, six and nine are.
Nine? Really? Reeeeeaaaallly?

I mean, it's not a bad game, but VI had Kefka and stuff. IX has a pretty boy who wears a codpiece thong. And incredibly slow battles. I dunno, I'm not partial to any of the PSX games.

By the way, you're finally a member. :D I was starting to think you'd been perma'd but I guess they've raised the count since I joined, when it was 100-150 posts.

edit: haha never mind, i guess you were un-perma-juniored??

7Th said:
I love Japanese cartoons and FFXIII wasn't Japanese cartoon-like enough for me. If FFXIII had been more unashamedly cartoony it would have been a much better game.
If you're implying that this game would have worked better in a cartoony graphical style, well, you're wrong. Because then we would have been deprived of the pleasure of Fang rendered in glorious 1080p HD, and you and I both know that that would be a terrible, tragic thing.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:

The way I see it.

Put me down as a snob fanboy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
IronFistedChampion said:
Ok how in the fuck do you kill the big fat robot and his other stupid robots? As soon as I kill his robots he just spawns 3 more. I have tried with Fang/Sazh/Hope and Fang/Lightning/Snow and no matter what I do I always get my ass kicked. WTF?

Is this the one with the big arms? Just aim for it first.

cosmicblizzard said:

The way I see it.

I'm a fanboy snob who is a punk. I assume the 8 part is emo, so no.

cosmicblizzard said:

The way I see it.

+

10-2 and Tactics: the snobbiest of snobs

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
Hey, you can call me a jealous rabid punk fanboy snob considering how much of the series I love :lol
Just call yourself a fanboy and we can hug our Cloud action figures together.

Cep

Banned
I feel weird since I think I am the only one that cleanly fits into one category.

icarus-daedelus said:
+

10-2 and Tactics: the snobbiest of snobs

You are not helping.

But then again, FF6 is the only one I have not completed so maybe when I get around to it...

Rpgmonkey

rataven said:
The chapter 9 boss cast this on me when I was closing in on 20 minutes. I beat him, but zero-scored the battle. I suck, but was just glad to finally get past him.

There's probably some hidden time mark, might be different for each boss, that once you pass it, you'll get hit with Doom.

I suppose so.

This is like the only invisible mechanic in this game that kinda interests me. :lol

cosmicblizzard said:

The way I see it.

Replace IX with X-2 and you have another snob here. :D

rataven

cosmicblizzard said:
I fall entirely in the snob category (V, IX, and XII) with a bit of fanboy thrown in (VII).

Dresden

Cep said:
I feel weird since I think I am the only one that cleanly fits into one category.

But then again, FF6 is the only one I have not completed so maybe when I get around to it...
First Baldur's Gate, now FF6? Dude.

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
First Baldur's Gate, now FF6? Dude.

I have a very good knack for accidentally skipping good games.

I mean, I waited 'til SJ to seriously want to play SMT.

But I have both Nocturne and Baldur's Gate Trilogy waiting for me at home with I get home in May.

Rpgmonkey said:
Replace IX with X-2 and you have another snob here. :D

You know, I never realized until now how many people loved the V/X-2/XII trio.

Dresden

I'd revise cosmicblizzard's list a bit to something like this:

1: nostalgic manchild
2: legally blind
3: nostalgic manchild
4: appreciates Rosa's pixelated buttocks in all her glory
5: classy gentleman
6: great taste, fanboy
7: isn't afraid to read slash fanfiction
8: so emo he cuts his game console
9: classy gentleman
10: otaku manchild
11: socially inept recluse
12: classy gentleman willing to ignore clumsy storytelling for Fran's ass
13: oh u

Cep

Banned
Dresden said:
1: nostalgic manchild
2: legally blind
3: nostalgic manchild
4: appreciates Rosa's pixelated buttocks in all her glory
5: classy gentleman
6: great taste, fanboy
7: isn't afraid to read slash fanfiction
8: so emo he cuts his game console
9: classy gentleman
10: otaku manchild
11: socially inept recluse
12: classy gentleman willing to ignore clumsy storytelling for Fran's ass
13: oh u

:lol

Cep said:
I have a very good knack for accidentally skipping good games.

I mean, I waited 'til SJ to seriously want to play SMT.

But I have both Nocturne and Baldur's Gate Trilogy waiting for me at home with I get home in May.

You know, I never realized until now how many people loved the V/X-2/XII trio.
"Accidentally," sure, we believe you. And people are usually too embarrassed to admit that they like 10-2 because it's too girly, what with the gameplay mechanics blatantly hinging on playing dress-up and all.

rataven

Rpgmonkey said:
I suppose so.

This is like the only invisible mechanic in this game that kinda interests me. :lol
It's definitely interesting. It's almost like the games way of telling you that you really shouldn't have even made it that far into the battle and the only reason you did is pure luck. So it's going to kill you anyway in t-minus blah blah seconds.

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
"Accidentally," sure, we believe you. And people are usually too embarrassed to admit that they like 10-2 because it's too girly, what with the gameplay mechanics blatantly hinging on playing dress-up and all.

:D

But damn it, I like playing dress up *looks at RoF longingly*

Ugh, finally beat the asshole by using a Deceptisol, getting all my buffs, and using Relentless Assault to stagger him with the help of a preemptive strike. That was really freaking annoying for a first mission.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
cosmicblizzard said:

The way I see it.

I liked 6,7,9, and 10.

So that makes me a Punky Snoby Fanboy

Cep said:
:D

But damn it, I like playing dress up *looks at RoF longingly*
Ah, you admit it's the on purpose kind of accidentally, then. :p But you've played Deus Ex, so all of your sins are forgiven.

You can play dress-up in RoF? Damn, why didn't anyone tell me that? I might not even wait for it to hit the $20 Sega game bargain bin now!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So I guess it's true then, this is probably the lowest rated FF excluding remakes and spinoffs (Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2, etc.). :|

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
Ah, you admit it's the on purpose kind of accidentally, then. :p But you've played Deus Ex, so all of your sins are forgiven.

You can play dress-up in RoF? Damn, why didn't anyone tell me that? I might not even wait for it to hit the $20 Sega game bargain bin now!
Beware that the game charges extra for skirts that offer pantyshots. Not that I bought them because of the said camera views.

Dresden said:
Beware that the game charges extra for skirts that offer pantyshots. Not that I bought them because of the said camera views.
I just want the opportunity to dress the main character up like Kuja. Is that so much to ask?

ULTROS! said:
So I guess it's true then, this is probably the lowest ranking FF excluding remakes. :|
Probably, but who cares? Most of them should have gotten scores more in line with this one, or lower. I think 85% is too high, really. 8/10 feels about right for this game.

I liked the linearity, scoring, and action game focus of FFXIII. I'm used to SRPGs, arcade games, etc. that are all very linear and tend to have scoring systems. But as I said in my review, they managed to tick off RPG fans while not really satisfying linear action game fans.

ULTROS! said:
So I guess it's true then, this is probably the lowest rated FF excluding remakes and spinoffs (Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2, etc.). :|

It would've been rated a lot higher had it come out earlier in the gen. I'd go so far as to say it would be in the 90s on metacritic if it came out at a time relative to every other first of the gen.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
It would've been rated a lot higher had it come out earlier in the gen. I'd go so far as to say it would be in the 90s on metacritic if it came out at a time relative to every other first of the gen.
I do agree with you here. The graphics would have wowed everyone if it just came out two years ago. It's still very pretty, but the bar's much higher now thanks to Uncharted 2.

As for how I feel about the game, I mostly enjoyed it, and I thought it was a good game. It just wasn't what I was looking for, in the end, though. Thankfully, I found two more new RPGs that satisfied that itch, so I'm not too bitter about it. I think the game merits a 8/10 score.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

So are you saying that the firsts of the gens have inflated scores?

If so, then yeah.

Expectations are lower in the beginning.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
IronFistedChampion said:
Ugh, finally beat the asshole by using a Deceptisol, getting all my buffs, and using Relentless Assault to stagger him with the help of a preemptive strike. That was really freaking annoying for a first mission.

You should have used a Sentinel & have the other two pound away at the big guy.
If the Sen got damaged too much, switch to a medic in your group while keeping the Sen active & then switch back to attacking.

Cep said:
So you are saying that the first gen games have inflated scores?

If so, then yeah.

Expectations are lower in the beginning.

To some extent. I feel like some reviewers scored the game even lower because it took nearly 5 years to develop a mostly linear game.

And I strongly believe that X's linearity didn't bother anyone until after the fact because it was a technical achievement. XIII didn't have that luxury because it came out too damn late. Imagine what people would be saying about the game had it released in 2007 or even 2008. Some of us would be looking back on it fondly by now while others would talk about how much they hate it now as opposed to back then.

Seriously, what the hell happened to Square :/

mr_nothin

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
To some extent. I feel like some reviewers scored the game even lower because it took nearly 5 years to develop a mostly linear game.

And I strongly believe that X's linearity didn't bother anyone until after the fact because it was a technical achievement. XIII didn't have that luxury because it came out too damn late. Imagine what people would be saying about the game had it released in 2007 or even 2008. Some of us would be looking back on it fondly by now while others would talk about how much they hate it now as opposed to back then.

I dont think that's true.
I probably would have hated XIII more if it had come out closer to FFXII's release. XII has spoiled me.

I haven't played any RPGs made for this gen so I went into it as my "please quench my RPG thirst" game.

Cep

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:

I strongly disagree. We are not that shallow.

I think it is very safe to say that the game would have scored higher in the beginning because it is visually impressive, its flaws would have been merely overshadowed, not ignored.

And years later, it would get panned, as is the fate of games whose main/only achievement is visuals.

As for X(oh how I loathes it), the linearity has only been brought up by petty naysayers. The game is well designed and paced.

cosmicblizzard said:
I doubt that, but the 5 year development cycle surely did no favors for FF13's hype in the West, and, let's face it, game reviews are based largely upon hype. FF13 is pretty much in line with other JRPGs this gen in terms of metascore, which ain't bad but probably indicates that the Final Fantasy brand name is losing its cachet. (Shooting for irrelevancy, you might say!)

ULTROS!

cosmicblizzard said:

Spent time making Versus XIII the best game ever
B3LI3VE

All aside, SE has been thoroughly lagging in terms of new quality IPs. Frankly, they've lagged in quality ever since the merger IMO. The games that I've liked from SE that I completed were SO3, SO4 (yes I am biased with SO), KH2 and Valkyrie Profile 2 and 3/4 of those weren't by SE themselves. I didn't get to play TWEWY, Crisis Core, BbS and DQVIII much but I hear they're pretty good.

Cep

Banned
icarus-daedelus said:
I doubt that, but the 5 year development cycle surely did no favors for FF13's hype in the West, and, let's face it, game reviews are based largely upon hype. FF13 is pretty much in line with other JRPGs this gen in terms of metascore, which ain't bad but probably indicates that the Final Fantasy brand name is losing its cachet. (Shooting for irrelevancy, you might say!)

Himuro, is that you?

Cep said:
Himuro, is that you?
How dare you imply that I am he, Final Fantasy 8 is a terrible game and I have never liked it!

No really, when was this game announced? 2006? If it had come out in 2007 as a PS3 exclusive* (with worse graphics, even) it would have been higher rated, for sure. Launch is always a shaky time and launch titles are poorly remembered, but on the PS2, at least, games that came out the next year after launch in 2001 (FFX, GTA III, MGS2, SSX Tricky, etc.) rode the hype train to great scores and are remembered fairly positively to this day.

*not that I care about fanboy console warzzz, just to be clear

entremet

Green Mamba said:
Wait, bosses cast Doom on you if you take too long?
Yes. The game has no MP to speak of and you can heal indefinitely as long as the leader is alive. It punishes you being too safe. I actually like it because, to use a fighting game term, it punishes turtling.

ULTROS!

Didn't MGS4 and GTAIV come out sorta late this gen and still get high scores?

Lothars

icarus-daedelus said:

I will argue that final fantasy is far from irrelevant especially since each one is different and I think when push comes to shove ffxiii will be remember like ffx is which I would say is one of the better games but that its not perfect.

I look forward to seeing what they do with ffv and versus 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom