• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

If you're liking it already, you're in for a great experience. The game only gets better.

To be honest, my play sessions are around 30mins at a time, the game is throwing story at me way too fast, I wouldn't mind a relatively long
(and pretty)
corridor/dungeon every once in a while. I feel like I accomplished too much in one sitting, even with just 30mins of playing.

Also, yeah, l'Cie and fal'Cie and Cie'th are pretty different from Type-0, and it's weird, I like the way Tabata did more than here, yet the setting here is way better than Type-0, so I don't know which I like more. Combat is starting to pick up now, so I can see myself liking this more than Type-0, we'll see, I hope for clever boss fights.

I don't know, the only thing making this game different from a "normal" jrpg is the lack of towns and the amount of story. If you could have talked with NPCs and gone to an Inn and stuff, I feel like it would be just like any other game. But then again, the game's story is pretty clear on why they're not visiting towns.

The first map where you play Vanille is actually pretty decent.

Seriously, if the lack of towns and the awkward lines are what made this game so hated, I think I'll be enjoying my time with it. Cool.

And yeah, easily one of the prettiest games from last gen, Square really nails that crystal look.

which of the main characters do you like so far?
what part are you by?

which of the main characters do you like so far?
what part are you by?

Just started Chapter 3.

Sazh is, of course, the very best (I'd say if he gets any cooler he goes to demi-Balthier levels of goodness).

And there's one line from Vanille that really made me interested in her
(when she says that Snow is all talk when she first meets him)
, so I'm looking forward to her being something more than just moral support.

Otherwise, I don't "hate" anyone, I think it's because there's no stereotype that I hate, so for me to dislike a character they have to be poorly delivered, and even Snow and Hope are pretty decent on delivering so far (delivering motivations/personality wise, not dialogue/writing).

Just started Chapter 3.

Sazh is, of course, the very best (I'd say if he gets any cooler he goes to demi-Balthier levels of goodness).

And there's one line from Vanille that really made me interested in her
(when she says that Snow is all talk when she first meets him)
, so I'm looking forward to her being something more than just moral support.

Otherwise, I don't "hate" anyone, I think it's because there's no stereotype that I hate, so for me to dislike a character they have to be poorly delivered, and even Snow and Hope are pretty decent on delivering so far (delivering motivations/personality wise, not dialogue/writing).

It makes sense that the story seems overwhelming to you if you're still this early. Those first few hours are pretty rough from a storytelling standpoint, and this is coming from someone who loves the game. It certainly becomes much more focused and less obtrusive the further you get.

Sazh is great. But he's not the best. You haven't met Fang yet. :)

Vanille is a really interesting character. I'd say she's easily the most complex of the bunch, but a lot of people dismiss her out of hand because they find her voice annoying.

It makes sense that the story seems overwhelming to you if you're still this early. Those first few hours are pretty rough from a storytelling standpoint, and this is coming from someone who loves the game. It certainly becomes much more focused and less obtrusive the further you get.

Vanille is a really interesting character. I'd say she's easily the most complex of the bunch, but a lot of people dismiss her out of hand because they find her voice annoying.
Yeah, someone said the game starts slowing down for quite a while now, I might actually enjoy that, I want me some practice on that ATB refresh (which I pulled off once on my first try \o\)

I'm looking forward to Fang too, I want to see if she is as cool as Sazh, so far she just strikes me as a Lulu-type character (not a bad thing).

Cool. When you reach one of those bosses that punch your face so fast that you don't know what hit you: Don't panic and adjust your Paradigms. haha (you might have to make a new deck.)
Yup =P, I haven't been using auto-battle at all either, since I want to learn how to use every ability. Even controlling just Lightning, it can get pretty confusing what is going on on screen, I love it, one of the main reasons of why I love Dissidia is those crazy battles.

"Boopin' and Weavin'"
The best. The goddamn best. Sazh and Balthier are the type of characters every game should have.

Yup =P, I haven't been using auto-battle at all either, since I want to learn how to use every ability. Even controlling just Lightning, it can get pretty confusing what is going on on screen, I love it, one of the main reasons of why I love Dissidia is those crazy battles.

Dissidia is awesome. It's one SE's best fanservice/spin-off FF games.

Dissidia is awesome. It's one SE's best fanservice/spin-off FF games.

I know, it's my favorite "non tradicional" fighting game. If Square put more budget there it could be an actual big fighting game. Too bad the story sucks, they should just pull Street Fighter levels of BS in that, it would be awesome.

Where's my PS4 Dissidia Square? X_X

Knurek

Her US voice makes me want to tear out my ears.
Her Japanese voice is amazing. Perfectly compliments Maaya Sakamoto's role so far.

Just reached Chapter 10.
Curious though. What's the best determinate for end of battle rank?
I got zero stars from Bart. Guess I took too long or something. =/

Cerity

Another interesting part with the translation. The whole scene Vanille/Sazh at the station. Sazh's is more or less on point but Vanille's is strange. She's obviously a lot more shocked/hurt at what Sazh is saying in the Japanese audio than she is in the english translation. At this point, the subtitles don't really match up with how she's animated either, it was quite funny reading
Vanille being slightly down/trying to hide her secret to all of a sudden her running out, crying and using the rain to hide her tears.

Gvaz

Banned
Another interesting part with the translation. The whole scene Vanille/Sazh at the station. Sazh's is more or less on point but Vanille's is strange. She's obviously a lot more shocked/hurt at what Sazh is saying in the Japanese audio than she is in the english translation. At this point, the subtitles don't really match up with how she's animated either, it was quite funny reading
Vanille being slightly down/trying to hide her secret to all of a sudden her running out, crying and using the rain to hide her tears.

that's because the english subtitles are for the english track

it's lazy

That's one of my favorite scenes in the game, and the way you describe it, it's exactly because of the change they made for the English version.
She's trying not to betray her true feelings, and doing a decent job at it, but she can't act away her tears.
Pretty effective, IMO.

Arthea

You know what's most funny thing about Vanille, how people jump onto Vanille hate train because of her VA and looks, to the point that they dismiss everything she says and does. In this thread alone there were some ridiculous posts about her, that are unfounded and nonsensical.

Cerity

that's because the english subtitles are for the english track

it's lazy

I wouldn't say lazy, they've taken the effort to localise the translation where it would have just been easier to do a literal translation. The differences are just odd. e.g in the same scene, in the japanese audio that typical "you'll catch a cold/it's alright, I'm an idiot" card is played. So many people would have been lost at that alone, but they took the effort to change that to something like "Are you crazy?", "It's just rain".

Nevadatan

whats with the boss battles, yee-zus!
i got to the bulbasaur in the Gapra Whitewood, and holy molly... and its not like the boss is too hard. actually seems pretty easy. but hell, the battle goes on and on and on and on and on. i feel like beating the four kings on NG+6, the battle takes forever.. i even summoned odin and only chew a pixel from the boss health bar.

i actually hit ESC in the middle of the battle because i got bored (and need some sleep)

ah, fits him perfectly.

AsianOni

Finally playing with my favorite character.
Some backgrounds look really good.

15509401986_65fe8a973f_k.jpg

14912930773_08b2c6cf40_k.jpg

Arthea

Just reached Chapter 10.
Curious though. What's the best determinate for end of battle rank?
I got zero stars from Bart. Guess I took too long or something. =/

ya, ranks are defined by how fast you kill foes, but it is a bit more complex than that, because more strong you are, faster you have to kill to get highest rank.

Finally playing with my favorite character.
Some backgrounds look really good.

She looks great in super-HD. :)

I'm never gonna reach Fang. I keep restarting the game when I find some settings I'm happier with. I just did Chapter 1 for the fourth time since this game came out. >_>

Kazdane

In this playthough (it's like my 4th) I've decided to 5-star every boss and record it (previously I 3 or 4-starred a few fights, never got any 20 minute fights though).

The boss
Havoc Skytank
was actually sillier than I remembered, both in execution and AI behavior. The key to make that battle super quick is to actually (don't unspoil it if you don't want to know boss tactics)
use Lightning as COM and input manually the Attack command (assuming your Lightning has more attack power than magic power). She can take each part down in 4 turns, but the funny thing is that Fang and Hope rather than support you, will actually switch to another target, so it goes down even quicker

Now the next boss is
Midlight reaper
and I've already made Sazh learn Haste (which I usually got grinding before the last boss of Chapter 9).

Arthea

More like what's good about her. I still have no clue ;(

oh c'mon, she's angry, moody, silent most of the time, not much talk kickass warrior with the dark past. What's bad about her? (><)

True, forgot about that. Lightning redeemed then.

I also liked when she slapped Fang for some reason. We need a buddy movie/game with those two.

she's just into beating everyone, as it's more effective than talk, we all know that

2San

I like how she got her shit together by herself (though partially by looking at Hope) and is willing to admit her mistakes. She's a decent enough characters it's just the writing is bad in FFXIII and the voice acting is pretty cringy as well (though this partially attributed due to bad writing).

Raitningz

Spoilers.

Raitningz said:
Actually Lightning's character arc is a lot about being alone and shutting people out, while the theme of the story is defying fate together as a family of sorts.

Lightning's afraid to be lonely deep inside, afraid to be weak. She's not strong, really, she compensates for what she lacks with a strong front. That's why she's not Claire. She wants to be strong for the people around her, but she's actually very scared. That's bravery.

At Square Enix they have a poster of her with the Japanese words "Yuki" overlayed. Yu Ki means courage, bravery. Facing your fears is courage. That's what she represents. She doesn't trust anyone, she wants to take care of everyone. She's annoyed when people care for her, because she's afraid to accept help from others. Anybody who thinks she's just stoic, strong, independent, badass and doesn't need anybody didn't really get it personally.

She's pretty grey, too, doesn't have a very clear cut morality, though she's somewhat altruistic. Her personality reflects pretty well in Dissidia too.

Also, her design is fantastic. Can you just look at how so, so very beautiful she is? Her eyes are the perfect hue of blue, gaze into them and you'd see the beauty of the most gorgeous seas in the world. Her wispy, rose-colored hair, fringe draping between her eyes, complimenting her well-curved eyebrows and those perfect pair of eyes. Her lips look so luscious- wait... Where was I again?

Anyway, her design is awesome. One look at her and you'd see this woman is a soldier. It didn't have to resort to weapons, a Kevlar vest, weapons, green, armor, metal, you'd just know, she looks strong and she's a soldier.

In XIII-2 she looks divine, like a protector, a holy knight. They didn't have to resort to wings, extravagant golden armor or anything. You just knew that she looked like she descended from heaven(as if she didn't already look at that way)

With LR... Eh, what happened? Don't really dig the LR costume and don't understand it either, I'm not sure what I was supposed to feel but Toriyama gave Nomura the instructions "Strength" and "Black leather suit". Didn't really work out for me personally, I hated the costume at first but I admit it has grown on me somewhat, so okay.

Regarding the story, I really dislike the way the story went from FFXIII-2, but she's still very awesome. It would have been better imo if not for those god awful sequels. Especially LR - I didn't quite like the fact they marketed it "Create your own Lightning" like she's some kind of avatar. She's not Shepard or Dovakiin. An analogy I like to use is that if there was a Harry Potter game where you can "Customize your own Harry". That's... I wouldn't say wrong, I just don't agree with it. It's not like she doesn't have a character. For example, in a pre-XIII extraneous reading material, she openly disapproves of Lebreau's revealing outfit. In LR she's completely unfazed by wearing revealing outfits, and even has some lines to go with them. Dat fanservice. Nono. Do not like. Some people do, though, so okay.

The fact that she's not special is also very cool. She didn't have an interesting backstory, she was 'one of those soldiers' ordinary, and then she was thrown into a very awful situation that only showed her what 'cutting herself off' led to. She didn't have an interesting chain of events that led to XIII, she was just thrown in it, and it's just how life rolls. When she was younger, her father died, her mother died. She always had everything decided for her.
In XIII that gets worse and she decides to carve out her own fate, only to be subdued by a higher divine power again.

She
could have not served as Etro's champion, but she saw the future, saw her reflection as the Knight of the Goddess. She could still choose not to serve. She does what has to be done, letting someone else decide her fate again.

In the end, they work together to defeat God with a power he can't understand, and truly carve out a new world where there is no magic and the world(and her essentially) is free.

I could type more, but still. I just feel most people don't understand her character. Like "Why do you like her?" "She's cool, stoic, and badass". "Mai Waifu bla bla". Well okay, you can like her for that, but I will think you didn't quite get it. I disagree with a lot of Lightning fans for this, though I will not deny that she is extremely, extremely physically attractive and I have fixated all kinds of romantic and carnal desires in my life on her.

She's strong... and weak. Not to say she has a fluffy interior, but she's very scared actually. She's hurt, guilty, grey, she has mistakes, she deals with them. She's also kind of altruistic.

I like how she got her shit together by herself (though partially by looking at Hope) and is willing to admit her mistakes. She's a decent enough characters it's just the writing is bad in FFXIII and the voice acting is pretty cringy as well (though this partially attributed due to bad writing).

Yep. Hope is important to her character development.

aravuus

She punches Snow in like her first scene with him.

This is a negative for me lol. I hate Snow as much as anyone else but Light punching him just shouts "I'm a whiny, immature bitch" to me. Or something.

Fuck you Toriyama.

Controversial Opinion Time #2.
Snow is my favorite character, even if not the best written.

Dude, there are people who think Hope is a genuinely good character. Your opinions are mild as HECK

Arthea

Controversial Opinion Time #2.
Snow is my favorite character, even if not the best written.

I don't hate him as everyone seems to, so your opinion is a little less controversial now.
I only had problems with Lightning and Hope during my first playthrough, but I got over it, I just think of them as funny diversions this time around, I would like Lightning and Hope to rage even more, truth to be told (><)

Dude, there are people who think Hope is a genuinely good character. Your opinions are mild as HECK

I'm pretty sure that FF13-2 had something to do with it, though

aravuus

I would like Lightning and Hope to rage even more, truth to be told (><)

Stay back you sickening spawn of satan

Okay yeah, the characters are already fucked so why not go all the way and make the super SUPER obnoxious. For shits and giggles. Could be pretty hilarious, I admit.

I'm pretty sure that FF13-2 had something to do with it, though

True, he was much better in XIII-2.

Raitningz

True, he was much better in XIII-2.

Haha, I heard that Nomura was against
Hope growing up in XIII-2, and he was so against it he drew a sketch of Adult!Hope just to show them why it wouldn't work out, but it backfired because they liked it.

Knurek

Given he's a teenage boy who just saw his mother being gunned down
I don't really think Hope is that bad.
Certainly better than Shinji Ikari.

2San

Well him being distraught isn't really surprising. However, his hate against Snow to the point of wanting to kill him was just misguided and never made any sense. No matter how distraught or young he is.

aravuus

Haha, I heard that Nomura was against
Hope growing up in XIII-2, and he was so against it he drew a sketch of Adult!Hope just to show them why it wouldn't work out, but it backfired because they liked it.

Based Nomura lol

My mother was
verbally
gunned down in a battle
of words
by a very one-track minded enemy
(=sarcastic, obnoxious teenage me)
too when I was 14 and I grew up just fine

She didn't die though. Nor get hurt. Actually, I think I was just being a fucking cunt. Not unlike Hope, I guess. Maybe I hate Hope so much cause he reminds me of.. Myself.

I need some time alone with a rope and a hangman's noose tying tutorial.

Shahadan

I disagree with a lot of Lightning fans for this, though I will not deny that she is extremely, extremely physically attractive and I have fixated all kinds of romantic and carnal desires in my life on her.

I laughed so hard at this, no offense :lol:

The rest of your post I actually agree with so far, but I still don't see why it would grant her a so high popularity because I feel characters like this are pretty common and often better portayed.
Problem is, those are male most of the time and I really have trouble imagining people would analyze her and love her that much if she was male.

It's not just Lightning either, it happens all the time, but I wonder how different some people's opinions about a character would be if they weren't attracted to it.

Arthea

oh naw you didn't!
Shinji is perfect disturbed by reality, couldn't cope with requirements put on him, scared for his life kid. It's psychology!
While Hope is unreasonable, shy for no reason, getting on our bad side kid, not to mention that he dies in battle if anybody as much as sneezes on him.
Shinji is pitiful, while Hope is annoying!

leazo

Banned
Well him being distraught isn't really surprising. However, his hate against Snow to the point of wanting to kill him was just misguided and never made any sense. No matter how distraught or young he is.
That's really the flaw with his character up until the end of chapter 7, if you disregard his desire to kill Snow the rest of his character writing made a decent bit of sense considering what any kid who had lost their own mother would feel like.

Knurek

oh naw you didn't!
Shinji is perfect disturbed by reality, couldn't cope with requirements put on him, scared for his life kid. It's psychology by someone who read one Wikipedia article ten years ago on the subject

Corrected your typo.
Hope hasn't been so annoying so far (start of chapter 4). My opinion on him might still change.

Raitningz

I laughed so hard at this, no offense :lol:

The rest of your post I actually agree with so far, but I still don't see why it would grant her a so high popularity because I feel characters like this are pretty common and often better portayed.
Problem is, those are male most of the time and I really have trouble imagining people would analyze her and love her that much if she was male.

It's not just Lightning either, it happens all the time, but I wonder how different some people's opinions about a character would be if they weren't attracted to it.

I wondered too. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't have liked her so much if she wasn't so pretty. Can you imagine Lightning in a book described with "Spiky, wispy rose-colored hair"?

But in my defense I scoffed and thought she looked like a man back in 2006, it was only until 2011 when I 'met' her again in Dissidia, and I was enthralled by her(without having seen the CGI, just the low-poly model.)

Then she became my life. I won't joke about the waifu thing, it's way more serious than that

Top Bottom