• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Arrived at the City of Commerce

074530C875C854D54B66D0018319960BA2CB2645

HeelPower

And the whole thing with the knife, in the japanese audio, Lightning gives the knife to Hope for protection (She says it's an Omamori). The english translation leaves it to your imagine - she says "I'll want that back".

She never saw the knife as a tool for killing.

You can especially tell that from the birthday cutscene.You can tell by her expression when she unwraps the present.

"How practical"

ibdN67soEvWZ1G.png

So what am I doing wrong here? I'm getting frame drops as low as 15-20 fps during significant portions of gameplay. They seem to be happening at random, but I noticed something.

The screenshot above is of my second display, which was running during a point when the game was getting ~20fps.

In Nvidia Inpsector, is Current Clock the current speed of my GPU's clock? If so, 418Mhz is much slower than the 1006 it should run at when running full speed. Also note that Power is running at ~30%. Is that also normal, or could I be getting more from my GPU?

HeelPower

Only good thing about PSNOW is that it added the FFXIII logo to the homescreen and it makes it look like the PS4 has games :p

lol yeah. First thing I tried on PSNow was FFXIII. I was disappointed.

If you stop playing you lose your hours too(dunno if they changed this money grubbing aspect)

Kuja9001

Banned
To the Japanese speakers, was there anything lost in translation with this game? I've always wondered that. I heard the English localization added their own little twists and didn't clarify a lot
like how everyone thought it was the fal'cie Anima that branded the cast when it was really one of the Gods, revealed by an ultimania later on

The Eng dub screwed up that scene with confusing text.

Here's more

In the JP dub "The Maker" doesn't exist. They just say "God"

The scene after the crew
reverts from being Cie Corpses
is different.

The Analects are alot more vague in the Eng dub plus text is missing.

Etro is referred to in the JP version unlike the Eng dub.

Lightning is more of an ass in the Eng dub and Snow is more cocky in the End dub as well.

Yeah. They had to pad out the Pulse scenes somehow though! Speaking of which, the should have done what you said and added more event scenes in Pulse. The conversation between Fang and Sazh with the chocobos was random but extremely appreciated and a nice touch.

There's addition scenes like the party talking about Dahaka.

HeelPower

DEAR GOD! Imagine that Remaster.

The game is ridiculous looking.

I WISH too see it in motion on a big screen downsampled 4k to 1080p.

The game tends to look even better in motion and at 60 fps it will look mindblowing.

A definitive edition would be a must buy for me.As I currently can't afford a $1300 PC.

It looks really good on my laptop but I am usually a big screen guy.

I long for this :((

Falk

that puzzling face
A definitive edition would be a must buy for me.As I currently can't afford a $1300 PC.

PC will always be definitive edition

don't hurt me

edit:
Even showed Hamauzu-san the game at 1080p/60fps and got a thumbs up lol

Falk

that puzzling face
Re: big screen, incidentally my laptop had HDMI out plugged into the projector for the Taiwan VGO concert and was running video for a bunch of other repertoire. I was so tempted to just play Steam FFXIII footage during the FFXIII segment but that would be the worst idea ever as far as invoking squeenix licensing dept's wrath goes.

edit: We're talking about this size lol

It's crazy how good this game still looks nearly 5 years after release, every environment is just packed with detail and the amount of variety in scenery unparalleled. So glad this happened!

Although it's a bit sad there hasn't been a better looking jrpg since :/

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I just beat the game. While I agree with many of the criticisms, I still ended up loving it. Looking forward to working on the end-game content now. Hope to get some information in the XIII-2 release some time soon.

BONKERS

Stay back you sickening spawn of satan

Okay yeah, the characters are already fucked so why not go all the way and make the super SUPER obnoxious. For shits and giggles. Could be pretty hilarious, I admit.

True, he was much better in XIII-2.

Hope is fine EVEN in FFXIII-1.

Jesus man, I mean. If you were him, young and immature. How would you react and feel?

How much people seem to lack basic empathy is quite amazing

BONKERS

ibdN67soEvWZ1G.png

So what am I doing wrong here? I'm getting frame drops as low as 15-20 fps during significant portions of gameplay. They seem to be happening at random, but I noticed something.

The screenshot above is of my second display, which was running during a point when the game was getting ~20fps.

In Nvidia Inpsector, is Current Clock the current speed of my GPU's clock? If so, 418Mhz is much slower than the 1006 it should run at when running full speed. Also note that Power is running at ~30%. Is that also normal, or could I be getting more from my GPU?

1st. Don't use Nvidia's built in Frame limiter. It's crap.

Force 1/2 Refresh vsync. Instead and then limit the frame rate to 30 with RTSS/MSI Afterburner, as well turn the pre-rendered frame limit to 1

Minus has a 5MB limit and abload has a 10MB limit. Most of my screenshots exceed 10MB.

Use 100% quality JPGs. Problem solved.

Even then, it won't be perfect. The port is simply crap right now

You should also turn on x16AF and the AA fix. You won't lose any performance over'em

wmlk

It's crazy how good this game still looks nearly 5 years after release, every environment is just packed with detail and the amount of variety in scenery unparalleled. So glad this happened!

Although it's a bit sad there hasn't been a better looking jrpg since :/

Gotta wait just over a year for FFXV. That's gonna look tremendous.

And then we wait another 5 years for FFXVI lol

1st. Don't use Nvidia's built in Frame limiter. It's crap.

Force 1/2 Refresh vsync. Instead and then limit the frame rate to 30 with RTSS/MSI Afterburner, as well turn the pre-rendered frame limit to 1

Use 100% quality JPGs. Problem solved.

Even then, it won't be perfect. The port is simply crap right now

You should also turn on x16AF and the AA fix. You won't lose any performance over'em

So force 1/2 Refresh VSync through Nvidia Inspector.

You're saying that enabling frame limit via Nvidia Inspector is Nvidia's frame limiter? I thought the tool was 3rd party? Not sure what RTSS is but I have used MSI Afterburner before.

You're advising turning x16 AF through Inspector, correct? Is the AA fix through GeDoSaTo, or through inspector, or?

And if it's a "fix," what exactly is the fix other than enabling AA? Thanks.

Edit:

How's this?
nvidia_20141014_231541.png

Nevadatan

dat bulbasaur..that battle goes on and on and on.
and you know what toriyama? its getting old.
i got killed when the friggin' boss had less than 20% left. man, is tedious to be like a solid hour casting, attacking and changing paradigms.
i guess i need more grinding. really..

Oneironaut

Neo Member
dat bulbasaur..that battle goes on and on and on.
and you know what toriyama? its getting old.
i got killed when the friggin' boss had less than 20% left. man, is tedious to be like a solid hour casting, attacking and changing paradigms.
i guess i need more grinding. really..

I had a few instances where I must have been fighting the boss for 15+ minutes and then they cast doom on me and I die when they have 10% health. It sucks, but if the fight is taking that long you probably need to rework your party makeup/strategy or do some grinding.

Zafir

I doubt you need more grinding unless you were going out of your way to avoid enemys in that area.

Some recommendations.

-Use synergist to buff your chars at the start.
-Use COM/MED if you need to heal so it preserves your stagger bar progress.
-Make sure you have two RAV/RAV(The primary paradigm you'll use in the fight outside of swapping COM in occasionally to slow the stagger bar deterioration down) paradigms to make use of ATB refresh. ATB refresh is a mechanic where you get a full free ATB bar after swapping paradigms if you've previously fully 'restored' the ATB bar manually. Meaning you get two full bars worth of actions in one.

Oh and you may want to try upgrading your weapons? There's an upgrade guide in the steam guides for the games.

BONKERS

So force 1/2 Refresh VSync through Nvidia Inspector.

You're saying that enabling frame limit via Nvidia Inspector is Nvidia's frame limiter? I thought the tool was 3rd party? Not sure what RTSS is but I have used MSI Afterburner before.

You're advising turning x16 AF through Inspector, correct? Is the AA fix through GeDoSaTo, or through inspector, or?

And if it's a "fix," what exactly is the fix other than enabling AA? Thanks.

Edit:

How's this?
nvidia_20141014_231541.png

All Nvidia Inspector is, is a tool that lets you set settings within the driver per profile. NI happens to be a 3rd party tool, but the frame limiting is built into the driver. And it's not very good. No, not at all.

RTSS is "Riva Tuner Statistics Server" Which comes bundled as the OSD for MSI afterburner, which lets you add an .exe and limit the framerate. And it does it the best. And most stable. Frametimes are generally flat and stable. No uncessary drops. Unlike Nvidia's limiter in the driver, which produces microstuttering, lots of frame variance and odd drops here and there.

The fix, when using MSAA even if only the in game AA fixes an artifact on hair
https://mega.co.nz/#!iVIDiLib!L1gWG92EfFzJDErhNJZ3GOyPG_lPBInb0Rl86tjAuEk

You should force AF, because the game doesn't use any by default. (And your default settings look like you don't have it overrided either. Most times driver AF is better than game AF. And some games don't even have AF settings)

All Nvidia Inspector is, is a tool that lets you set settings within the driver per profile. NI happens to be a 3rd party tool, but the frame limiting is built into the driver. And it's not very good. No, not at all.

RTSS is "Riva Tuner Statistics Server" Which comes bundled as the OSD for MSI afterburner, which lets you add an .exe and limit the framerate. And it does it the best. And most stable. Frametimes are generally flat and stable. No uncessary drops. Unlike Nvidia's limiter in the driver, which produces microstuttering, lots of frame variance and odd drops here and there.

The fix, when using MSAA even if only the in game AA fixes an artifact on hair
https://mega.co.nz/#!iVIDiLib!L1gWG92EfFzJDErhNJZ3GOyPG_lPBInb0Rl86tjAuEk

You should force AF, because the game doesn't use any by default. (And your default settings look like you don't have it overrided either. Most times driver AF is better than game AF. And some games don't even have AF settings)

Which is the appropriate setting for forcing AF in NVI? I have it set as User-Defined/Off, but other options are Application Controlled, ANISO_MODE_SELECTOR_CON, and then a setting for Rage, Far Cry 3, etc.

HTupolev

Pulse is Australia, in tons of different ways.

Shit, one of the tracks that's associated with Pulse stuff even has Didgeridoo-esque sounds.

Top Bottom