• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

I didn't have many problems listening to people, maybe because I'm wearing headphones?

Anyway, gedosato made the game run on a solid 30, thanks based Durante. I just need to figure out how to stop the super creepy look that they're getting now >.>

Lightning looks like a character from a horror movie or something D=
If you are talking about the mascara and hair problem then enable msaa in gedosato and disable it in your graphics card controller.

Shahadan

I thought they were incredible eyecandy that added to the cinematic experience. The one with the Lindblum going through the clouds was particularly awesome.

Sorry I meant the 3 or 4 stupid CG scenes where your party is in a ship/thing that is gonna crash in a minute. Explosions everywhere, no sense of danger, bad angles, too fast, you name it.

I had no idea what was even going on most of the time and when I did it felt unnecessary and far too much.
Holy shit it's way past time to give the team a smaller budget.

Sorry I meant the 3 or 4 stupid CG scenes where your party is in a ship/thing that is gonna crash in a minute. Explosions everywhere, no sense of danger, bad angles, too fast, you name it.

I had no idea what was even going on most of the time and when I did it felt unnecessary and far too much.

It's funny, but even though I liked those scenes I would have to agree with them being kinda overdone visually. I enjoyed the cutscenes in something like Xenoblade a million times more. I could at least follow the action there easier and felt an emotional investment. With XIII it's like "Look at all these awesome effects!".

Oneironaut

Neo Member
After delving into it some, I'm not a fan of the crafting system. There's no indicator of what kind of catalyst you need to upgrade an item or if that item can in fact be upgraded unless you already have that particular catalyst in your inventory. It feels like the system expects you to use an outside information source like a wiki to use it properly.

HeelPower

I completely disagree.

Not every scene was hard to follow.Only the one after lake bresha was relatively hard to do.

Also there are many great central CGI in the game.The intro the scene, the scenes on pulse and the ending.

You can't possibly say the CGI work was poor in the game.You may have ridiculously high expectations though.Which is fine.

cafemomo

The covers I made turned out pretty good I think
ubJPENl.jpg

That was insane. I only played the demo on PS3, I never knew you could do that.

You should try out the full game sometime. Be it when it comes out on Steam or pick up the relatively cheap PS3 copy

So, how do my characters learn more stuff?

So far Sazh is only a Ravager, Light is only COM and RAV, and Vanille is RAV and MED. Is it just game progression?

EDIT: Also, when you finish the crystarium for one role, is it over, or is there more for that role later?

LuuKyK

So, how do my characters learn more stuff?

So far Sazh is only a Ravager, Light is only COM and RAV, and Vanille is RAV and MED. Is it just game progression?

EDIT: Also, when you finish the crystarium for one role, is it over, or is there more for that role later?

The wikia explains it well:

Each character's Crystarium growth level corresponds to the progress of the game's story. After fighting certain bosses, the Crystarium levels up, enabling players to advance through the layout and possibly upgrade their stats and learn new abilities, but enhancing stats and learning skills are still dictated by each Role's level.

Each character starts out with three roles in which they are more proficient. A short way into Chapter 10, each character becomes able to access the other three roles, a feature called "Role Development". These secondary roles can be used once the character learns at least one ability from that role.

Edit: The crystarium goes up to level 10 btw.

HeelPower

So is it possible to get locked 60fps? I'm getting pretty crazy stuttering on my 970 at times.

lol you have a freaking 970 and you get stuttering.

This game is so incredibly demanding on Ultra settings!

SE screwed up big time with the port unfortunately

HeelPower

This game didn't get the port or HD version it deserves.

Why do Tomb Raider and Sleeping Dogs get new editions when FF gets nothing?

I know Type-0 is getting one but that doesn't cut it.

This game needs a port a 1080p with high poly models in real time(they ALREADY have these)

Luminous lighting incorporated, re-rendered CGI up to 1440p etc...

Instead we get a botched version that Durante saves :/

I just got to Gran Pulse, and the difficult just went through the roof. I thought that my strategy was pretty good since I almost always 5-star all the encounters.

I know Type-0 is getting one but that doesn't cut it.

This game needs a port a 1080p with high poly models in real time(they ALREADY have these)

Luminous lighting incorporated, re-rendered CGI up to 1440p etc...

Instead we get a botched version that Durante saves :/

It was pretty clear they were just porting for Dive In, even the lack of marketing said that. I don't know why people expected a completely remastered version.

They butchered in the fps and resolution department, and that's inexcusable, but even if they didn't, I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble of re-rendering 40gb worth of cutscenes.

If we ever get a remastered version it'll probably be on the PS4/Xbone, and it'll be a couple of years before that happens, and they'll advertise it a lot more.

munchie64

Lightning is a deranged psychopath who's only joy in life seems to come in the destruction of innocents.

I like when she punches Snow though.

HeelPower

They butchered in the fps and resolution department

They destroyed this.

Also they should've swapped the models with the high poly ones(for high settings).I don't think that would be hard at all for a company like SE.

They aren't indie developers and this is mainline FF.

It was pretty clear they were just porting for Dive In, even the lack of marketing said that. I don't know why people expected a completely remastered version.

They butchered in the fps and resolution department, and that's inexcusable, but even if they didn't, I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble of re-rendering 40gb worth of cutscenes.

If we ever get a remastered version it'll probably be on the PS4/Xbone, and it'll be a couple of years before that happens, and they'll advertise it a lot more.

I've officially given up on this port. Durante made it gorgeous, I'll give it that, but the performance is a complete bummer. Even locked at 30 it just feels a little off.

But I got myself all hyped up, so I'm replaying the PS3 version, yet again. It's a bit blurrier, but at least it's working as intended. Maybe I'll finally get that Platinum!

If the next two are the same story (which of course they will be) you can bet I won't reward this kind of laziness again.

They destroyed this.

Also they should've swapped the models with the high poly ones(for high settings).I don't think that would be hard at all for a company like SE.

They aren't indie developers and this is mainline FF.

They didn't even bother giving resolution settings, why would they swap models? It's probably a port made by one or two guys to go with Dive In.

To put more effort and resources into the port, it would make it more expensive, they would have to advertise it, and of course it wouldn't be a cheap game, it would probably be a 40$+ title.

It's better they just do a cheap port now, and announce an HD version later than doing a "definitive edition" without any previous warning whatsoever.

Oneironaut

Neo Member
I just got to Gran Pulse, and the difficult just went through the roof. I thought that my strategy was pretty good since I almost always 5-star all the encounters.

I had the same issue. I found the difficulty curve much more forgiving when I did a bunch of the Cie'th stone missions before continuing the story.

SirNinja

Pulse is a pretty notorious difficulty spike, yeah. As Oneironaut mentioned, doing the Cie'th Stone missions can help quite a bit. You really should do them anyway, as completing them gives you great items, fast travel to various places on Pulse, access to Chocobos, bonus areas, and lots more.

Pulse is a pretty notorious difficulty spike, yeah. As Oneironaut mentioned, doing the Cie'th Stone missions can help quite a bit. You really should do them anyway, as completing them gives you great items, fast travel to various places on Pulse, access to Chocobos, bonus areas, and lots more.

I've been following the Cieth stones, but they still take me to pretty dangerous places. I've been getting mostly 3 stars per battle now. I'm enjoying the difficulty spike because I love it when the game gives me a challenge. I just hope the battles don't get increasingly long.

Zafir

Following the Cieth Stones through to Yaschas Massif(Think that is its name?) helps quite a bit. You still have to pick your fights carefully, though.

Honestly I think they kind of intended you to go there anyway. There is missable scenes in the Yaschas Massif. Some of which you can't get if you progress too far in the story.

cafemomo

Lightning is a deranged psychopath who's only joy in life seems to come in the destruction of innocents.
I fail to see that in her

Perhaps they will do so for the 30th anniversary pack for the PS Quatro

Imagine this but in 8GB GDDR glory
pPb0kLW.jpg

But knowing Square they will probably only remaster FFIV on the PS4 since they have a hard on in place that game to everything imaginable.

Bittercup

I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble of re-rendering 40gb worth of cutscenes.
Actually they did. The pre-rendered videos are neither directly from the PS3 version nor the 360.
Not sure they re-rendered them from the original source or just re-encoded the PS3 videos but at least they did make extra versions for the PC release.

Actually they did. The pre-rendered videos are neither directly from the PS3 version nor the 360.
Not sure they re-rendered them from the original source or just re-encoded the PS3 videos but at least they did make extra versions for the PC release.

They most likely re enconded the PS3, otherwise why would they intentionally make a worse version?

I still think they'll make and HD collection, maybe after type-0 hd is out, maybe after XV is out, but the game already has everything for an HD port, they just need to put some money into it.

Bittercup

They most likely re enconded the PS3, otherwise why would they intentionally make a worse version?
Even with re-encoding they could have made higher quality videos. Maybe they just wanted to make the download not too big. Those 10GB that the game is smaller compared to the PS3 version would have certainly made a difference if used for video compression.

Even with re-encoding they could have made higher quality videos. Maybe they just wanted to make the download not too big. Those 10GB that the game is smaller compared to the PS3 version would have certainly made a difference if used for video compression.

Indeed, maybe it was incompetence from the team (not really the first example of a japanese game poorly ported over). Either way, they should really patch the performance and get their shit together for the next ones, that would be a way of showing that they at least didn't intend for the port to be so lacking.

Also, I don't play on mobiles at all, but if iPhones/iPads support 60FPS, those performance issues will probably appear in the Dive In version as well, so it's a higher chance for a patch (because that's really the version they care about).

Mr.Chowderclams I remember your video years ago and I commented on it.

I guess your dream came true now that the game is on PC.lol

What a coincidence.

You should do a comparison video after the mods and stuff p;

Hehe yup! I remember seeing the steam rumor thread on GAF and thinking "WUT?!?!?! This can't be real." Just got to Gran Pulse today so I'll probably get a comparison up soon. The PS3 version looks so blurry in comparison.

--------------

On another note, I zipped up all of my save files up till Chapter 10
The beginning of the Ark
. They're hosted here for now: http://a.pomf.se/xazlrk.zip if anyone wants to use them for screenshotting or anything.

IcyStorm

Does anyone else have audio that's out of sync with the cinematic video for the English cinematics? The video seems to be delayed by maybe half a second or less for me and it's really irritating.

I am running GeDoSaTo (4K -> 1080p) and using RTSS to limit the framerate to 30. Not sure if those things are affecting it.

Knurek

The fact that FFXIII team wrote it's own XInput implementation, instead of using readily available xinput.dll, really shows just how much SEJapan doesn't get PC developing.

Does anyone else have audio that's out of sync with the cinematic video for the English cinematics? The video seems to be delayed by maybe half a second or less for me and it's really irritating.

I am running GeDoSaTo (4K -> 1080p) and using RTSS to limit the framerate to 30. Not sure if those things are affecting it.

Whenever it desyncs for me it's because the video drops frames (That's because of my laptop though, not really the game). Every time the cutscenes run smooth, everything is synced perfectly.

Whenever it desyncs for me it's because the video drops frames (That's because of my laptop though, not really the game). Every time the cutscenes run smooth, everything is synced perfectly.

Yep, happens for me too in the JP cutscenes. The audio will play first, then the video + subs will kick in 1-2 seconds later. I think it is because of dropped frames. @IcyStorm do you usually have stuttering in your cutscenes? That could be the cause..

Nevadatan

The fact that FFXIII team wrote it's own XInput implementation, instead of using readily available xinput.dll, really shows just how much SEJapan doesn't get PC developing.

believe me. they would have used GFWL if microsoft hasnt turned the marketplace down. last year.

After the MASSIVE improvement in PC developing From Software got with Dark Souls 2 you would expect that a company like S-E wouldnt make the same mistakes.

Yep, happens for me too in the JP cutscenes. The audio will play first, then the video + subs will kick in 1-2 seconds later. I think it is because of dropped frames. @IcyStorm do you usually have stuttering in your cutscenes? That could be the cause..

Also, for the most part, the audio only kicks in when the character starts talking, so even if the first two or so lines get out of sync, if the game stops dropping frames the next dialogue line syncs itself again.

Happens a lot when Lightning starts talking. She and her glossy lips make my lappy go nuts and lose sync... And then it comes back to normal when someone else starts talking.

I am playing the English version though, so maybe that's different from the Japanese?

Nevadatan

Also, for the most part, the audio only kicks in when the character starts talking, so even if the first two or so lines get out of sync, if the game stops dropping frames the next dialogue line syncs itself again.

Happens a lot when Lightning starts talking. She and her glossy lips make my lappy go nuts and lose sync... And then it comes back to normal when someone else starts talking.

I am playing the English version though, so maybe that's different from the Japanese?

your lappy cannot keep with the goddess. thats the reason.
also im testing a postprocessing preset i fetch from the community hub, adds a nice contrast boost.

IcyStorm

Hm... I just ran it without GeDoSaTo and it doesn't seem to have changed anything. I've tested this with Japanese audio and that seems perfectly fine.

I don't think stuttering (which I do get when downsampling) is the issue though. I just noticed that both in the pre-rendered and the in-engine (or I think they are?) cutscenes, English audio is ahead of the video the entire time. The Japanese audio seems fine in both cases.

ryan0991

Banned
Hope is fine EVEN in FFXIII-1.

Jesus man, I mean. If you were him, young and immature. How would you react and feel?

How much people seem to lack basic empathy is quite amazing
It's because I have empathy that I know I wouldn't try to murder someone in that situation. Just about nothing shows an utter lack of empathy more than murdering another human being in cold blood.

Arthea

I don't really get a shit port complaints. I always thought that shitport is when you can't play a game, it crashes, fps drops to unplayable, controls don't work, saves get corrupted, there are gameplay breaking bugs and such.
It surely isn't top notch port, in fact it's as cheap as ports get, perhaps, but in no way it's shitty, so far I had 0 problems with a game itself.

Not sure if serious. Apart from flat out not working, this port is as shitty as it gets.

ya, I don't get it, definitely.
If it's shitty what you call ports or games that are unplayable when released?

leng jai

I don't really get a shit port complaints. I always thought that shitport is when you can't play a game, it crashes, fps drops to unplayable, controls don't work, saves get corrupted, there are gameplay breaking bugs and such.
It surely isn't top notch port, in fact it's as cheap as ports get, perhaps, but in no way it's shitty, so far I had 0 problems with a game itself.

Not sure if serious. Apart from flat out not working, this port is as shitty as it gets.

Top Bottom