• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

cafemomo

Bhuni is incredibly tough.
It depends. If you have the right costumes/layout then he is pretty easy. Only thing I had troubles on is his last form when he does heartless angel.
I always get cocky in the end and forget to heal, block, etc :p

Shameful. teehee

yeah yeah it may be shamfur dispray but man oh man, on normal he flew away out just when I was about to stagger him for the last time.

BadWolf

It wasn't too bad.

If people want a legit hard FF game, they should play III and IV on the DS.

That was a challenge.

Yeah, was sort of surprised at the complaints because I was going to talk about the game being easy. Guess the battle system just clicked for me at the time.

Can't wait to try LR, have been trying to avoid reading anything about it but did hear that it has a battle system that is character action game good.

I don't think these games are any harder than XIII,its just that when you die in XIII you can easily restart.

In other games you just #die.

This was brilliant, so quick and simple to retry a battle. Hope XV has this as well.

And the save anywhere feature in XIII-2 was fantastic too.

Meowster

I wish this worked on my laptop. Maybe I should just replay on my PS3 so I can enjoy the fun once more.. or just wait until my new computer comes in in December. :(

Seems quite a few enjoyed the Weak mode they incorporated into FFXII ZJS.

The game is the same iirc but your characters always stay at level 1. So you never level up the character itself but the license board is still fair game (so all the abilities, buffs, techs, weapons etc. are still usable).

FFXIII is a special case though, almost every previous FF has alternate methods or strategies to getting through the game, as well some alternate means of getting spells/skills aside from experience (which tends to be why bosses & certain rare enemies/areas don't give exp in quite a few FFs). S-E would have to re-do the entire crystarium ala FFX-international to encourage low-level play in FFXIII. On the other hand there is a No-Crystarium-Usage walkthrough on gamefaqs. So eh. S-E figured that if players wanted the game to be more difficult, they'd discover their own methods (which is what they've done for every previous FF).

Level isn't all that important for casual FFXII play anyway. I think part of the reason for Weak mode's existence is that vanilla FFXII offers an item that keeps the player from gaining EXP, but it isn't available until quite a ways into the game. It's more of a convenience-thing (plus it frees up the accessory slot).

I wish this worked on my laptop. Maybe I should just replay on my PS3 so I can enjoy the fun once more.. or just wait until my new computer comes in in December. :(

What are your specs? I'm playing it on a fairly crappy laptop myself, the framerate is bad, but apparently you can decrease the resolution with GeDoSaTo, so it might make it playable.

Meowster

What are your specs? I'm playing it on a fairly crappy laptop myself, the framerate is bad, but apparently you can decrease the resolution with GeDoSaTo, so it might make it playable.
Oh, really? Then I'll come back here when I'm at home. I thought you could only up-red it. I don't know off the top of my head. It is playable but it's like.. 10-15 FPS so still difficult and combat is sooo slow.

Oh, really? Then I'll come back here when I'm at home. I thought you could only up-red it. I don't know off the top of my head. It is playable but it's like.. 10-15 FPS so still difficult and combat is sooo slow.

Yeah, sometimes my game drops to 10-15 as well (it manages to handle battles decently enough though).

Try it out and post the results here, I probably won't be trying until later tonight, so I don't know how it'll work.

Xyber

Just wait until December so you can experience the game in it's glorious downsampled form. Can also hope that they have released at least 1 patch to fix the performance problems by then.

ConceptX

Final Fantasy 4 got a new patch yesterday, these are the patch notes...

Update 1.0.4 now live
14 OCTOBER - SQUARE_JASON
We've just released a minor update for everyone.

Update contains just general bug fixes based on feedback received.

Thanks

http://steamcommunity.com/games/312750/announcements/detail/216496072287205588

I feel bad saying it, but I'd laugh if they wrote the same for 13 after all this fuss, "We patched it, but we aren't saying what, go find out for yourselves".

In all seriousness, I play FF4 on PC, and those "patch notes" are ridiculous.

AsianOni

Screens of the day! (I moved to 2 levels of downsampling)
15359373280_ce2924b67f_h.jpg

15358389989_45cd177cac_h.jpg

BadWolf

FFXIII is a special case though, almost every previous FF has alternate methods or strategies to getting through the game, as well some alternate means of getting spells/skills aside from experience (which tends to be why bosses & certain rare enemies/areas don't give exp in quite a few FFs). S-E would have to re-do the entire crystarium ala FFX-international to encourage low-level play in FFXIII. On the other hand there is a No-Crystarium-Usage walkthrough on gamefaqs. So eh. S-E figured that if players wanted the game to be more difficult, they'd discover their own methods (which is what they've done for every previous FF).

Level isn't all that important for casual FFXII play anyway. I think part of the reason for Weak mode's existence is that vanilla FFXII offers an item that keeps the player from gaining EXP, but it isn't available until quite a ways into the game. It's more of a convenience-thing (plus it frees up the accessory slot).

Good point, personally avoid doing that stuff because of the grind. Even in FFXII gear is really important so you will just end up grinding for it instead.

I will stand by that LR has the best battle system ever

thing gets cuhrayzee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ENVk0AHGpk

Thanks but will have to skip watching that until I play the game :p

Zafir

oh man. Aeronite even on normal was a pain.

I did a third playthrough on easy just so I can beat him
I didn't go that far(Didn't fancy going through the game again so soon...), but man did Aeronite take a good few tries. Such a punishing boss fight. Can't imagine doing it on hard mode. >.<

serahsass

Neo Member
I have a feeling its worded that way in order to not spoil later events in the game and is described from Hope's PoV rather than the players.

Aside from that, does anyone have a hunch about when 13-2 might pop up on steam? :)
Some people have speculated around December but there's nothing concrete about it.

iosefe

I have a feeling its worded that way in order to not spoil later events in the game and is described from Hope's PoV rather than the players.

Aside from that, does anyone have a hunch about when 13-2 might pop up on steam? :)

the original hunch was December, but all things considered, i hope it's later
Some people have speculated around December but there's nothing concrete about it.
i bet you're excited

I will never understand why Square did the game over when the party leader falls things, it's just such a frustratingly bad design decision

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Considering XIII is fully voice acted, I'd say never.

It's not a bad translation though, the stuff they changed is mostly intentional, I don't see why they would "correct" it.

Well it have the Japanese voice option to destroy inconsistency with the dub and the translation is a bit spotty with dumb tonal changes and missing information.

I will never understand why Square did the game over when the party leader falls things, it's just such a frustratingly bad design decision
I think they got that idea from the SMT games since that's what happens when your leader dies in those game with the exception of 4 (mainline).

Well it have the Japanese voice option to destroy inconsistency with the dub and the translation is a bit spotty with dumb tonal changes and missing information.

I didn't find any missing information so far (I'm not very far into the game though...)

But, an "undub" version where they make literal translations... I think it's very unlikely, but who knows, it's definitely more possible than dubbing everything over again.

godofwar424

Neo Member
Do you have anything else plugged in? Post a picture of your devices and printers section of your Control Panel.

I had to delete my wireless profile for my DS4 and plug it in for the game to recognize it.

Thanks! I had a look and realised that I have Unified Remote installed to control my PC from my phone, and the new version installed a HID Driver which gets detected as a game controller. This game is so poorly coded that it ignores the Preferred Default option under Game Controllers in Windows and just uses the first one on the list -.-

Thanks again for the help, I can play this game enjoyably now!

I think they got that idea from the SMT games since that's what happens when your leader dies in those game with the exception of 4 (mainline).

Yeah I remember it in Persona as well, where it was also an awful design decision.

Walk into new floor, monsters on this floor have instant kill ability, have it used on entire party and have your main character die

I don't get how stuff like this ever makes it into games

Teletraan1

Banned
Just got the game downloaded after my CDN unlimited internet with caps snafu.

Game looks gorgeous at 4k. The 30-60 fluctuations for no reason were too bothersome so I just locked it at 30 for now because it was so erratic. That is the only real downside of this experience other than the actual beginning of the game itself. Hope there is a fix (for the framerate) but I doubt it.

Logy

Neo Member
Wish there was a way to reduce the music volume. While it is awesome sometimes its hard to hear the dialogue.
Anyone else have this issue?

Adaren

I've been reading the guide.
The amount of grinding (for money) necessary is totally nuts.

Only once you get to Gran Pulse. The shroud farming is relatively light, especially with easy mode. (Took me about 30 min to get 30 Fortisols and 45 Deceptisols near the start, and I wasn't 100% focused on the game)

NCU is sometimes so borderline-impossible-yet-still-doable-if-you-play-perfect that I feel like SE intended for it to be an unofficial hard mode. I feel like they wanted a more demanding battle system but toned it back to not alienate long-time fans. NCU still requires you to use every trick in the book.

NCU is sometimes so borderline-impossible-yet-still-doable-if-you-play-perfect that I feel like SE intended for it to be an unofficial hard mode. I feel like they wanted a more demanding battle system but toned it back to not alienate long-time fans. NCU still requires you to use every trick in the book.

They made it especially hard by throwing you a game over when the party leader dies. I can't fathom why they didn't let a party member use a phoenix down when that happens.

HeelPower

How do people do No crystarium runs ?

Like..I don't think that will work tbh

EDIT : wait..I just found videos on youtube...looks interesting I guess

HeelPower

I thought they were incredible eyecandy that added to the cinematic experience. The one with the Lindblum going through the clouds was particularly awesome.

Yeah they are very atmospheric.

I also like how you can see the lanscape above Bresha Ruins in that escape cutscene.

Nevadatan

I thought they were incredible eyecandy that added to the cinematic experience. The one with the Lindblum going through the clouds was particularly awesome.

problem is: the quality
the diference between the nice antialiased ingame cutscenes and the artifacted FMV is just jarring

HeelPower

Oh you guys mean the quality..

Yeah SE completely failed at this.

Hell they should have release maximum quality cutscenes for this version.

Including upto 1440p.

I am sure they have that lying somewhere in the office...

Oneironaut

Neo Member
Wish there was a way to reduce the music volume. While it is awesome sometimes its hard to hear the dialogue.
Anyone else have this issue?

I had that a lot. There were a couple of times where I had to go into the datalog and read what had just happened because I couldn't hear what had been said in the cutscene. Especially when it was Fael'Cie taking. They're hard enough to understand without the music blaring louder than their voice.

I ended up wondering if this was a bug, because it seems like a strange issue to have in a game with such high produciton value, especially during cutscenes where the music volume could have been automatically lowered.

Does this game crash for anybody else?

I had two crashes during the entirety of my playthrough. They only happened during the times I was playing with GeDoSato, so I suspect that was a contributing factor. They weren't a big deal overall, but they did cause some anxiety when I knew it had been a while since my last save.

I didn't have many problems listening to people, maybe because I'm wearing headphones?

Anyway, gedosato made the game run on a solid 30, thanks based Durante. I just need to figure out how to stop the super creepy look that they're getting now >.>

Lightning looks like a character from a horror movie or something D=

Top Bottom