• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Knurek

I don't really get a shit port complaints. I always thought that shitport is when you can't play a game, it crashes, fps drops to unplayable, controls don't work, saves get corrupted, there are gameplay breaking bugs and such.
It surely isn't top notch port, in fact it's as cheap as ports get, perhaps, but in no way it's shitty, so far I had 0 problems with a game itself.

It's certainly not as shitty as Dark Souls 1 was.
No GFWL, proper KB+M support, doesn't crash all that often (5 hours, no crashes for me).
But the performance is terrible, lack of graphic/sound options, bad controller support and most of all, complete lack of any response on Square Enix part are not looking good for FF13's case.

Lain

No GFWL, proper KB+M support, doesn't crash all that often (5 hours, no crashes for me).
But the performance is terrible, lack of graphic/sound options, bad controller support and most of all, complete lack of any response on Square Enix part are not looking good for FF13's case.

I wouldn't say complete lack of any response. We had a response from that Jason person saying he'd pass along the stuff in the 1080p pinned thread. So I'd go with lack of a worthwhile response.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
Finally beat the game after abandoning it 5 years ago in PS3. It was well worth the ride, and Durante made the experience even better.

Btw, low poly dog first appearance was on FFXIII and then Lightning Returns, i noticed it the other day.
Truffles.jpg

CLVsi5U.jpg

Xsc52wu.jpg

Someone should mod it to make it a playable character.

HeelPower

Perhaps they will do so for the 30th anniversary pack for the PS Quatro

Imagine this but in 8GB GDDR glory
pPb0kLW.jpg

suppa you crazy.

You'll likely see everyone's butts in this thread before you see 8 GB GDDR remakes ;p

Finally beat the game after abandoning it 5 years ago in PS3. It was well worth the ride, and Durante made the experience even better.

Btw, low poly dog first appearance was on FFXIII and then Lightning Returns, i noticed it the other day.

Someone should mod it to make it a playable character.

wow you beat the full game in just a week ? That's pretty good there.

Btw I think the FFXIII dog is definitely graphically better though.LR has a gimped version I guess.

Arthea

I have no clue what you are talking about, controller works perfectly fine, and performance is not even bad, let alone terrible.
As for response from SE: "please be excited!"
here you got it (><)

leng jai

I have no clue what you are talking about, controller works perfectly fine, and performance is not even bad, let alone terrible.
here you got it (><)

Read the thread, this port is anything but fine. The performance is garbage even on top end video cards. I even had to go disable some HID devices just so the cutscenes wouldn't stutter every two seconds.

Xyber

here you got it (><)

I'm guessing he is referring to no native PS controller support.

And while I wouldn't call the performance terrible, it certainly is bad. You should not get a 20 FPS drop because of a single attack happening on screen with a 970.

Arthea

Read the thread, this port is anything but fine. The performance is garbage even on top end video cards. I even had to go disable some HID devices just so the cutscenes wouldn't stutter every two seconds.

why would I read the thread if I'm talking how a game is performing for me? I literally had no problems with a game, except like everybody I'm not happy with lack of graphic and sound options.

edited: oh well, there is no point, if so many people are having performance problems, there is something else wrong with the port than I initially thought. Kinda glad I'm on lucky side for once (><)

When I watched "the dog" in FF XIII I was shocked, because ti dosn't make sense it looks OK on XIII and that bad on LR, they just had to put it there exactly the same, instead they just....did...that...

HeelPower

When I watched "the dog" in FF XIII I was shocked, because ti dosn't make sense it looks OK on XIII and that bad on LR, they just had to put it there exactly the same, instead they just....did...that...

I think it clearly has better textures in the XIII version.I don't think its 100% the same.They share the geometry maybe.

But yeah, there are some insanely bad camera close ups in LR on incredibly poor textures and character models.

Me thinks they were using a general "cutscene system" instead of manually creating every scene.Or they just didn't care.

Oh I'm getting so much nostalgia with the screenshots and boss battle chat. I definitely loved this game despite its flaws. But I can't replay it on PS3. I'll hold out for a PS4 version or PC if I get a gaming PC. Whichever comes first.

That is such a "WUT!" face haha.

I think it clearly has better textures in the XIII version.I don't think its 100% the same.They share the geometry maybe.

But yeah, there are some insanely bad camera close ups in LR on incredibly poor textures and character models.

Me thinks they were using a general "cutscene system" instead of manually creating every scene.Or they just didn't care.

Yeah, that's why is shocking, they had a model with decent texturing and instead they change it to that. My guess is performance reasons, since seems the XIII version uses partially the same hair/fur technique of the characters.

HeelPower

Yeah, that's why is shocking, they had a model with decent texturing and instead they change it to that. My guess is performance reasons, since seems the XIII version uses partially the same hair/fur technique of the characters.

LR man..Game is very poor visually,unfortunately.

Part of it is due to how rushed the game was.I think they had to downgrade everything to get a decent performing FPS.

The game has nice concept art though..It needed a lot more time in the oven.

Zafir

I dunno I think some of LR looks fine. It's just a lot of it isn't and it brings the whole thing down. Like yusnaan looks pretty decent until you see some of the awful textures. It's a shame too, I liked the designs.

HeelPower

I dunno I think some of LR looks fine. It's just a lot of it isn't and it brings the whole thing down. Like yusnaan looks pretty decent until you see some of the awful textures. It's a shame too, I liked the designs.

the art design is very nice.

You can see that it has potential to look great ,but SE was too concerned about releasing this game ASAP.

And now there is a pretty large gap that FF Type-0 had to fill.

I'd argue that LR NEEDED this extra time of development.Should have thrown in a PS4/XB1 version in the mix too.

Grief.exe

Perhaps they will do so for the 30th anniversary pack for the PS Quatro

Imagine this but in 8GB GDDR glory
pPb0kLW.jpg

But knowing Square they will probably only remaster FFIV on the PS4 since they have a hard on in place that game to everything imaginable.

We are actually slowly getting there on PC, we blink and Square puts more FF games on Steam.

Of those remaining, I'd personally like to see Tactics, IX, XII, and XV the most.

XIII-2 and LR are already confirmed, Tactics and VI are essentially guaranteed as they already have mobile ports, and XV is quite likely.

FFVI is my favorite FF game by far, but the mobile port looks terrible aesthetically, to the point where it it almost an insult to the original.

Nethaniah

We are actually slowly getting there on PC, we blink and Square puts more FF games on Steam.

Of those remaining, I'd personally like to see Tactics, IX, XII, and XV the most.

XIII-2 and LR are already confirmed, Tactics and VI are essentially guaranteed as they already have mobile ports, and XV is quite likely.

Has Square ever even acknowledged IX's existence since release?

ChapaNDJ

Banned
wow you beat the full game in just a week ? That's pretty good there.

I admit i kinda rushed it and used a trainer once in a while along the way because i didn't feel like doing all the battles all over again. :p
Now looking forward to FFXIII-2 and LR release date on Steam

Btw I think the FFXIII dog is definitely graphically better though.LR has a gimped version I guess.
Yeah, that's exactly what i thought, i guess they had to rush that game.

Man, i hope SE releases more FF games on PC. I already own the X/X-2 remaster on PS3, but i'd gladly buy it again if it comes to Steam. I still haven't played FFIX though.

Knurek

I have no clue what you are talking about, controller works perfectly fine

Provided you have an XInput compatible device.
If not, game does not use xinput.dll, only some custom Squeenix code - so you can't emulate them using x360 or similar solution.
So, DInput controllers (like my DualShock2 or most of older gamepads) are up the shit creek without a paddle.

I can play on my Logitech gamepad, true. I'd like much rather play on my DualShock 2. No dice here.

Logy

Neo Member
If not, game does not use xinput.dll, only some custom Squeenix code - so you can't emulate them using x360 or similar solution.
So, DInput controllers (like my DualShock2 or most of older gamepads) are up the shit creek without a paddle.

I can play on my Logitech gamepad, true. I'd like much rather play on my DualShock 2. No dice here.

Did you try motionjoy? I use it to play with my Dualshock 2. Works perfectly in every game because it emulates that you have an xbox controller.

Lain

Why? i never had issues with it.

Oh it works, i'm using it.. Also works with the DualShock 3. Never tried the DualShock 4 though.

Because it is bad. The fact that it works for you doesn't make it less bad. There are other, better solutions to use gamepads on PC that no person that likes their own PC should use motioninjoy.

Logy

Neo Member
Because it is bad. The fact that it works for you doesn't make it less bad. There are other, better solutions to use gamepads on PC that no person that likes their own PC should use motioninjoy.

Alright, please tell me one alternative and i'll look into it. The reason "because it is bad" doesn't really say anything though.

EDIT:eek:k i found this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510044 i honestly had no idea since i never got any popups or anything, maibe i was just lucky. Guess its time to make a switch.
EDIT2: Better DS3 seems to work just as fine with the DS2 in FF13.
EDIT3: seems like Better DS3 still used motioninjoy drivers so i changed to SCP Driver Package which works perfectly.

LR shouldn't be LR, it should just be another IP in the XIII world.

idk, playing as a new character that is basically showing all the new mythos of their Fabulla Nova Crystallis

Looks like the dog is attacking a neo nazi.
FFXIII confirmed for ripoff of Wolfenstein

I just emulated a keyboard on my DualShock 2, the only thing is that I change R1/L1 to L2/R2, since the support for K&M on the game is pretty decent, it works pretty well.

Never
Use
Motionjoy

Thanks to this topic I finally stopped being lazy and got that xinputwrapper a while ago. Was one of the best gaming decisions I've made.
Now my comp doesn't crash every other time I put it into sleep mode (hasn't crashed since I changed) and it's just so much more convenient now that I don't have to open Motionjoy up everytime I play.
And yes, no more chinese websites popping up either.

So I gotta thank ya'll for pushing this so hard, because it's so true.

I just don't think new characters could've been more interesting than lightning.

Noel,Caius and Yeul were already much weaker than the original cast to me.

Though that Kid was very interestingly executed imo
Lightning-Returns-Final-F-008.jpg

Not really about Lightning not being interesting, but the fact that they were using her again probably made quite a few people just skip the game entirely.

If it was a new game on the XIII world, they could reuse all the assets they did, and people wouldn't be so dismissive about the game, I mean, the battle system apparently kicks ass, I feel like a lot more people would be willing to give it a chance if Lightning wasn't there. And by Lightning I mean the entire XIII cast =P

cafemomo

FFVI is my favorite FF game by far, but the mobile port looks terrible aesthetically, to the point where it it almost an insult to the original.

I hope to God that when we do get VI on Steam it will at least be based from the SNES or GBA.

But judging by IV, it will be a port of the Android version.

I'll still get it (for "collection sake"), but I won't play it as long as I have my SNES and GBA carts.

Really liked those 3 personally, especially Noel.

Noel was great and was a really likable character. Just seemed like an all around cool guy who has been through a lot and who you wanted to see things go well for. The idea of him being the last man on earth having to travel to the point in the past where things started to fall apart felt like the kind of story I wanted to experience. I found the relationship between Noel, Caius and Yuel to be rather touching.

Top Bottom