• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

killatopak

Gold Member
So I'm guessing the people you play as are extremely OP (in terms of story), because from what I know from Type-0, l'Cies are superpowered badasses, and if Vanille is a l'Cie and you play as Vanille, that should mean everyone is super strong... right?

Strong enough to kill dozens of meters high turtoises and gods.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I'm guessing the people you play as are extremely OP (in terms of story), because from what I know from Type-0, l'Cies are superpowered badasses, and if Vanille is a l'Cie and you play as Vanille, that should mean everyone is super strong... right?

Hell yes, they're strong.

HeelPower

5 dayz Left yoooo

SZw9tjb.jpg

l'Cie are basically people who have been given powers(magic). The ones from XIII are strong, but are not Gods.

For Type-0 they seem even more powerful.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So fucking beautiful

my god I can't wait!!!!!

I dont know what people are expecting. Its not a remake.

Expect at least the quality that you saw at the PS3 version (which is already pretty good) and you should be fine.

I'm hoping for a good port that has a variety of options, with no framerate or resolution lock. I'm not expecting much considering the lack of media released.

killatopak

Gold Member
I've been running through some videos that I've watched before the release of XIII and I've come across one that compelled me to buy it on day 0 lining up on the store at release.

Kinda NSFW

HeelPower

l'Cie are basically people who have been given powers(magic). The ones from XIII are strong, but are not Gods.

I honestly think barthandelus couldn't beat them even if he wanted to.

I think l'cie are ultimately insanely strong and dangerous but their power is bound only by their focus.

Yes they are.

Arguably they are even stronger and more dangerous than Fal'cie(Their "masters") but they are stuck with a ticking time bomb if they fail or succeed their in their given task.

If they fail they become c'ieth, if they succeed they become crystals and gain eternal life(or that's what the game says at first)
Strong enough to kill dozens of meters high turtoises and gods.
Hell yes, they're strong.

Cool, I don't know what Fal'cie are (Type-0 teaches only about l'Cie and Cie'th), but I still remember that you rarely get to see them fighting, because there's no point trying to fight them and much less stick around for their fights.

FFXIII takes the protagonists power to a next level then, cool.

Yes, there's only one
(two)
thing more powerful than l'Cies in Type-0, but unlike here, anyone can use magic in Type-0 (at least everyone in your kingdom).

LuuKyK

Cool, I don't know what Fal'cie are (Type-0 teaches only about l'Cie and Cie'th), but I still remember that you rarely get to see them fighting, because there's no point trying to fight them and much less stick around for their fights.

FFXIII takes the protagonists power to a next level then, cool.

Yes, there's only one
(two)
thing more powerful than l'Cies in Type-0, but unlike here, anyone can use magic in Type-0 (at least everyone in your kingdom).

fal'cies are like gods, and each one has a certain reason to exist in the world, even for very mundane things like producing energy for the citizens and such.

fal'cies are like gods, and each one has a certain reason to exist in the world, even for very mundane things like producing energy for the citizens and such.

Interesting, I'll probably play the NG+ on Type-0 to see the extra stuff, maybe there's stuff there from when the game was still Agito XIII.

But I'm having a few ideas about the story of Type-0 now in relation to XIII with this stuff.

Tizoc

So like this is my description of FF13 if I were drunk
In Final Fantasy XIII you start by controlling a pink haired woman with a ring pierced in her belly button, who is aided by a black dude with an afro which doubles as the nest/housing of his pet chocobo chick. The black dude fights using 2 guns, while the pink haired woman fights with a sword that can turn into a gun, but she mainly uses it as a sword.
Also they are fighting some kind of scorpion robot...that's floating in the air.

Later on you control a big dudebro jock with childish delusions of being a hero who saves some kids and people who were deemed cursed by the populace and ruling senate, in order to preserve the majority of the citizenry. These people that the jock saves were being 'Purged' in order to prevent the collapse of their civilization.

In the case of the first 2, they're after saving their pinked haired younger sister and afro haired son, respectively, from being purged. The dudebro jock wants to save the purged people in general along with the pink haired younger sister who happens to be his girlfriend.

Dudebro jock however gets most of the adults killed by the militia who were sent to stop the incident that the dudebro caused, among those that are killed is a tough mom of one of the protags of the game, some pretty boy called Hope.
Separated from the dudebro, Hope gets stuck with a cute little Aussie whose name tastes like Vanilla.

Eventually these 5 all gather together and meet up when the cause of the people getting cursed shows up. There the younger pink haired sister appears, says something cryptic then turns into crystal.

Our 5 protags then fight some robot thing and eventually get magic powers and become public enemies #1. A hot bespectacled booby lady is assigned by the military to hunt them down.

Now our heroes must survive and travel through various locales to find out WTF happened to them, the true meaning of the cryptic message and how to get un-uber cursed, little knowing the grand role they are playing in the great scheme of things.

killatopak

Gold Member
Do XIII, Type-0 and XV still happen on the same universe as originally intended or are they totally separate now?

I know that there are a lot things that are quite the same like L'cie, Cieth and Etro but did they officially announce that they aren't/are related right now?

Yoshichan

Haha things are great in this thread right now :lol

~Kinggi~

Banned
Things will be great right up until release when we discover the game is 720p 30fps with no AA. Then it will be panic and mayhem and chanting to lord Durante.

Arthea

I'm arguing with myself should I replay it or not, do I have patience for that?
OTOH it would make sense, if FF13-2 is released with dlcs on PC (none of dlcs I had on PS3, so I missed arena entirely), I want to replay it, and I haven't played Lightning Returns and kicks Versus out of this Universe, so I need to play that. It would only make sense to replay first one too, but I'm reluctant.

Things will be great right up until release when we discover the game is 720p 30fps with no AA. Then it will be panic and mayhem and chanting to lord Durante.

what those 30GB download would consist of in such case? Lightning fanart?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I'm arguing with myself should I replay it or not, do I have patience for that?
OTOH it would make sense, if FF13-2 is released with dlcs on PC (none of dlcs I had on PS3, so I missed arena entirely), I want to replay it, and I haven't played Lightning Returns and kicks Versus out of this Universe, so I need to play that. It would only make sense to replay first one too, but I'm reluctant.

what those 30GB download would consist of in such case? Lightning fanart?

Ps3 quality cutscenes.

HeelPower

3 DVDs. So, like around 21 gigs or slightly less. I thought this install was over 30gb? Either way it would be fucking stupid to put up the compressed to shit CG. Quality CG is half the game damnit.

ok so hopefully steam release gets the PS3 quality cutscenes. I guess the 30GB would indicate that then.

Skilletor

Do XIII, Type-0 and XV still happen on the same universe as originally intended or are they totally separate now?

I know that there are a lot things that are quite the same like L'cie, Cieth and Etro but did they officially announce that they aren't/are related right now?

They were never in the same universe. They were based on the same mythology. Every version has its own take on the Fabula Crystalblabhalbhablah whatever.

They're not related other than a shared mythos.

killatopak

Gold Member
They were never in the same universe. They were based on the same mythology. Every version has its own take on the Fabula Crystalblabhalbhablah whatever.

They're not related other than a shared mythos.

Really? I kinda remembered differently. I remember SE saying that Versus XIII was supposed to happen long ago before XIII.

Skilletor

Really? I kinda remembered differently. I remember SE saying that Versus XIII was supposed to happen long ago before XIII.

http://www.square-enix.com/na/company/press/2006/0508_1/

Los Angeles (May 8, 2006)

FABULA NOVA CRYSTALLIS, defined in Latin as "the new tale of the crystal," is made up of several different titles based on variations of the FINAL FANTASY XIII universe. However, while each title in the project features different characters, different worlds, and different stories, all are ultimately based on and expand upon a common mythos.

ConceptX

I'm weirdly more excited to play this now then when it was first released on consoles.

Maybe the break from FF13 in that time has removed any judgement, thankfully, as I want to replay it with an open mind.

Off topic but I keep laying off rebuying FF6 on iOS for the suspected release on Steam, considering 4 came out of nowhere, hurry up SE!

Anyway, I pre-ordered as soon as it was up, don't let me down with a sucky port or 360 FMV's! Please!

Arthea

I'm weirdly more excited to play this now then when it was first released on consoles.

Maybe the break from FF13 in that time has removed any judgement, thankfully, as I want to replay it with an open mind.

Off topic but I keep laying off rebuying FF6 on iOS for the suspected release on Steam, considering 4 came out of nowhere, hurry up SE!

Anyway, I pre-ordered as soon as it was up, don't let me down with a sucky port or 360 FMV's! Please!

I'm so with you on this, at least SE could let us know do they plan to release FF5-6 on steam.

It really can't be Xbox 360 port, download is too big for that, at least I hope it isn't..

~Kinggi~

Banned
I also think it is exciting to know all 3 games in the franchise are planned for release, and there is potential for this to be the best version. Also nice having shit on steam.

HeelPower

I also think it is exciting to know all 3 games in the franchise are planned for release, and there is potential for this to be the best version. Also nice having shit on steam.

maybe subsequent ports will be even better.

Lightning Returns needs some extra work tbh..The game could definitely use a remaster tbh but I doubt SE will do it.

killatopak

Gold Member
So if the Lightning trilogy works out, is it reasonable to think that there's a chance for XV to be ported to the PC too?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Japanese folk are starting to see the light. I guess we have Capcpsomeascom to thank for that? And Konami and the weird anime folk creeping in.

Oh well, put my Steam preorder in since I had no takers on my trade offer that it just came to my attention would be a worthless trade thanks to my end of the bargain having had a million and one sales.

Kinda annoyed there's no pre-load.

I wouldn't expect XV on PCs so fast, at least a couple of years before that can happen.

And I think the sales of the XIII trilogy would be one of the first places to look if they planned on that.

As far as I know, it's not the same world, it's like, Agito would happen way way before XIII and Versus way way after XIII (but again, not in the same world/universe).

So that's why Agito is more medieval and Versus more advanced.

Unai

Thanks God I finished Shadow of Mordor so I can play this on release. Now I'm torn between this and The Evil Within.

I think I'll play this one first since I have already bought it. By the time I fisnishe it the patches and what not of The Evil Within will be already out!

MayMay

Banned
I'm so god damn excited. Lol, if someone would've told me a few years ago that I'd be sitting here today - being excited to replay FFXIII I would've laughed at them. But I genuinely am lol.

Been watching this trailer like.. every few days https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPbozRomX4 it's that good.
Even though I kinda enjoy the Japanese version more, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BfpWU_Jx0o The music is way better, and the voice acting too imo.

Such a shame we probably wont be able to play the JP version >__> Would've loved to do that at least once at some point (without importing it on console).

Anyways, nice OT - subbed.

Beren

Aww no you guys! you are killing me with hype!! D:

I can't wait , i will grind like mad everything i see, and i will also break dat printscreen key! do you guys remember the microchus? so cute!!!!!!!! so cute!! :O

rAQoEzr.jpg

And ty Yoshi , there are not enough thanks ! :3

Brofist

Love the song.

Looking at the prices on the pics back in 2010, I'm very surprised that they sold the PS3 version for twice the price on the Xbox 360.

It came out a year later in basically a greatest hits form on the 360. At a time when the PS3 version was probably flooding stores at $10 used.

Top Bottom