• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Gibbo

Man Played about 5 hours of the ps3 version. Plainning on double dipping. Is this considered the best of the 3?

HeelPower

Seeing things rendered in realtime is much more impressive looking in my eyes than things that are pre-rendered. Akin to how a decent looking game in virtual reality has the ability to blow your socks off more than something 2x as good displayed on a monitor.

They went real time for LR and XIII-2.

While I don't mind that, you can easily see how less impressive these cutscenes look compared to the XIII stuff.

Now FFXV uses Ruminous engine(
hopefully
) which is supposed to be capable of Agni's philosophy level of quality in real time.

The situation could be totally different.

CGI and pre-recorded cutscenes, mostly the latter but they are video files that take up a lot of space.

They really stuck out like a sore thumb on the 360 version comparatively.

FFXIII-2-Compare_360_01.jpg

FFXIII-2-Compare_PS3_01.jpg

By Metacritic, yes? I feel it's objectively the best too, though my personal favourite is LR.

The only thing that FFXIII overshadows Lightning Returns at is visual/performance polish. If Lightning Returns had a more solid frame rate and better textures I would say that it absolutely curb-stomps FFXIII, and since I'm not exactly a graphics whore, for me it pretty much does.

Raitningz

The only thing that FFXIII overshadows Lightning Returns at is visual/performance polish. If Lightning Returns had a more solid frame rate and better textures I would say that it absolutely curb-stomps FFXIII, and since I'm not exactly a graphics whore, for me it pretty much does.

I felt LR lacked content and the story was awful.

HeelPower

yup...amazing customization and battle system but marred by annoying time limit and very uneven visuals.

When it comes to story,the LR ending had me depressed for two weeks after I watched it.I really wanted a better closure for the series but SE absolutely didn't deliver.

We deserve better writing after 7 years of investment.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Yet it was an open world game with a million quests... so what does that make XIII, a linear game with no diversions to speak of, aside from a tiny open world quest area? Talk about "lacking content".

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
The PC release of LR should make in-game time move slower, or maybe allow Chronostatis to be mapped to a button.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
60gigs with dual audio? Jesus. What about those of us that don't care about Dual Audio, Volvo/Square? :| At least give the option.

Only supporting this for FFXII:I:ZJS HD PC port.

Raitningz

Yet it was an open world game with a million quests... so what does that make XIII, a linear game with no diversions to speak of, aside from a tiny open world quest area? Talk about "lacking content".

My main peeve about lacking content was that there was 40 variations of monsters, full of unremarkable fetch side quests given by unremarkable NPCs that are mundane, main story is over in a matter of hours.

FFXIII had a lot of juice in character interaction, different, interesting locales that aren't generic templates.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

It lacked content because those quests weren't very engaging and all too similar to each other.

Kanokare

The PC release of LR should make in-game time move slower, or maybe allow Chronostatis to be mapped to a button.

While I hate that LR had that time limit, by the time I finished everything I could, including Last Ones that allowed me, I had many days left that I rested away. On the other hand, I hated that most of the quests were boring. Main stories were decent enough.

Dizzy-4U

This needs to be done. It was so annoying to go to the menu every 2 minutes.

I went paranoid with the time limit and ended up with 4 days doing nothing because I ran out of quests. I haven't played in hard yet, maybe the time limit is tighter.

I thought it had plenty of content, and gave a proper resolve to the story in most cases. Unlike XIII it actually
finished out the entire struggle between Lightning and the gods and finished off each character arc. XIII's ending was too happy go lucky and had zero emotional value. At least Lightning Returns did more somber things such as Dahj being unconscious and Sazh having to deal with that. It was also strangely psychological for an FF game
. But to each his own :)

Raitningz

It lacked content because those quests weren't very engaging and all too similar to each other.

^ I agree with Kagari 100%

And I'm someone who spent more than $1000 on LR merchandise.

Exactly you felt like there was nothing to do for what they had going on for it, you were just fighting... and fighting... the monsters were re-used way too much, and there was barely even any proper story development until near the end of the game.

I thought it had plenty of content, and gave a proper resolve to the story in most cases. Unlike XIII it actually
finished out the entire struggle between Lightning and the gods and finished off each character arc. XIII's ending was too happy go lucky and had zero emotional value. At least Lightning Returns did more somber things such as Dahj being unconscious and Sazh having to deal with that. It was also strangely psychological for an FF game

Huh. I felt more empty than ever after LR. That's why there's the follow up novel for the ending.

HeelPower

XIII's ending is far better by comparison especially when you analyze it and it had much more sombre tone than LR's dumb ending.

No way. LR's ending is by far the worst ending I've ever seen after years of investment into a series.

I really felt depressed because I always thought they wouldn't do something as disrespectful and mindless as that.

It was such a cheap, copout ending.

HeelPower

I am still bitter about that LR ending if you can't tell lol

anyway time to relax , forget all the negatives and focus on the actual good game on hand.

Zafir

I dunno...

Even the Dahj bit was completely ruined by the scene when he wakes up. I remember Sazh running around like a Idiot with a toy airplane because of some BS about him sleeping due to Sazh looking sad or something. I just couldn't take that entire thing seriously.

The ending too was ridiculously cheesy. Mind you, I lost care of the overarching story after XIII's ending was bad, and XIII-2 managed to mess the story up even more.

Remfin

It's funny to see a post about a "cheap, cop-out ending" in a post mentioning FF13 and it's talking about some other game.

Yep, opinions all over the place. No problem with that. It was satisfying for me though because
again, I felt like the story actually finished up everything that the first game set up, the imbalance of the gods, the l'Cie shit, how the world was fucked up because of that... the ending of LR literally got rid of all of that and led the characters and survivors that you save throughout the game to a new world completely rid of all of that. I'm not saying it was fantastic, but I thought it, unlike the first one, actually put a period at the end. It was satisfying to me to go toe to toe with Bhunivelze and the battle itself was grand

But in general I loved the bizarre tone and atmosphere of the game, as well as the gameplay itself, the art direction and battle system. I had very few problems with LR, and they're mostly reserved toward the technical aspects, which could have indeed been a lot better.

Raitningz

I am still bitter about that LR ending if you can't tell lol

anyway time to relax , forget all the negatives and focus on the actual good game on hand.

Same, but the novel made it a lot better

I'm PERCHED for the nude mods.

I hope it's too difficult to mod and nothing happens

Yep, opinions all over the place. No problem with that. It was satisfying for me though because
again, I felt like the story actually finished up everything that the first game set up, the imbalance of the gods, the l'Cie shit, how the world was fucked up because of that... the ending of LR literally got rid of all of that and led the characters and survivors that you save throughout the game to a new world completely rid of all of that. I'm not saying it was fantastic, but I thought it, unlike the first one, actually put a period at the end. It was satisfying to me to go toe to toe with Bhunivelze and the battle itself was grand

The story concluded, yes, but didn't it bother you to know nothing about what the characters are doing or about their lives after the whole thing?

LuuKyK

Pre-load done! It went by extremely fast. I approve of my new internet connection.

I am so ready to play this again. t_t

The 60 fps, and dual audio megatons were so amazing. I will play it in japanese this time to make it a little different. My PC will probably not handle this game in 60 fps though, so I am not holding my breath for that. Still good that they optimized it.

I couldn't get over the fact that battles in Lightning Returns don't give you XP or anything. It was so disappointing. Also making it just a single character was very annoying.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
12GB left, 1hr 7min to go, everyone in the house pissed at me for sucking all the bandwidth.

Good times over here. Reminiscent of the ole 56k days.

Kanokare

Same, but the novel made it a lot better

I hope it's too difficult to mod and nothing happens

The story concluded, yes, but didn't it bother you to know nothing about what the characters are doing or about their lives after the whole thing?

How were the other novels? I was thinking of checking them out later this year.

Nope, didn't feel the need to know that. In fact I usually don't really like epilogues. What the characters do beyond the resolution can be left up to imagination or interpretation.

cafemomo

the novels included in the famitsu mags were disappointing.

what a waste if money. I just ended up giving them out to people like dragmire666, etc.

Raitningz

How were the other novels? I was thinking of checking them out later this year.

It didn't close all the doors, but it made it obvious which ones were closed.

You can read them at my tumblr here, if you want, but they're missing a few chapters.

the novels included in the famitsu mags were disappointing.

what a waste if money. I just ended up giving them out to people like dragmire666, etc.

Is your Japanese that good that you can read them? Are you N1 or N2?

Toth

XIII's ending is far better by comparison especially when you analyze it and it had much more sombre tone than LR's dumb ending.

No way. LR's ending is by far the worst ending I've ever seen after years of investment into a series.

I really felt depressed because I always thought they wouldn't do something as disrespectful and mindless as that.

It was such a cheap, copout ending.

What about it so bothered you? I still say it was one of the best FF endings in the entire series. Major spoilers!!!
The scene where the universe is born, along with the music, and Mog's goodbye are absolutely beautiful and rank up there with the most moving FF scenes ever. Was the epilogue scene that bad? I never gave it much value tbh

Raitningz

What about it so bothered you? I still say it was one of the best FF endings in the entire series. Major spoilers!!!
The scene where the universe is born, along with the music, and Mog's goodbye are absolutely beautiful and rank up there with moving FF scenes. Was the epilogue scene that bad? I never gave it much value tbh

I think Heel's reason is the same as mine,
we knew next to NOTHING about what happened to the characters, their lives, what they were doing after everything. Character-based closure, not story-based closure.

HeelPower

LR's ending didn't tie up the original story.

Its like you want to fasten your jacket buttons but you can't, so you dump it completely and just get one with ez mode zippers.

It throws away everything
kill the bad guy in space with friendship,create earth for no reason whatsoever...

I think Heel's reason is the same as mine,
we knew next to NOTHING about what happened to the characters, their lives, what they were doing after everything. Character-based closure, not story-based closure.

that too....

Top Bottom