• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

-GOUKI-

You can't compress game assets (at least if the dev did things right), but you especially can't compress rendered video, which is like 95% of the size of this game.

Why can't you compress game assets and video? Isn't it just saved as a video format? Can't you just uncompress it once you download it? What's the reason for not being able to compress video and assets?

Where the hell is my activation code!?

232336-Lightning.jpg

Dual audio and 60fps confirmed...I can't imagine a world in which those things are true, yet the game maxes out at 720p.

But SE is nothing if not a perpetual disappointment.

Still crossing my fingers.

thematic

Why can't you compress game assets and video? Isn't it just saved as a video format? Can't you just uncompress it once you download it? What's the reason for not being able to compress video and assets?

because the video itself already compressed

TheTux

For all those GMG guys it looks like the site is doing something as the order page now says 'completed' and the download page has a link to the download instead of what it said earlier about not having keys until a certain date. Hopefully the keys will be available soon.

It may also be an automatic thing that happens when the day is the same as the release date of the game.

It may also be an automatic thing that happens when the day is the same as the release date of the game.

That's quite true. If it is though I hope those keys will also automatically appear, I'd assume that they would already have the keys and simply need to tell their systems to release them, unless there really is someone sitting at a desk waiting for an email from Square Enix so that they can copy paste keys into their system (or better yet, receive a phone call and type them in by hand haha).

Kanokare

It does get more people discussing the game. Some rallying up to support the game and others willing to buy it if demands are met. Those that aren't aware of the game or unsure of buying it are also more likely to buy it to support further iterations seeing that SE are 'supporting' the PC community.

Or there's no conspiracy and it's just business that they aren't allowed to reveal until a later date and approval :p

It's a shame the JP voices/CG wasn't optional DLC. I'll have ~25GB wasted space on my SSD. Hopefully those files can be manually deleted after the download.

HeelPower

Durante,O Lord gaming Fal'cie, Please add Grass to the archylte Steppes :p

Lake Brrrreeeshaaa mmmm can't wait to see the screeenzz

Corpekata

Banned
It seems weird that they'd change it if it weren't true. At least I assume it's been changed, as they've had the preorder up for a while I think. Can't imagine they'd really get much of a sales boost or anything given they're lower tier as far as authorized retailers go.

So is japanese language support confirmed?
Looks that way.

Evidence towards JP language support
-In the Steam client, language selection in the game's properties lists Japanese
-50 GB download, which would make sense since JP version had different lip-sync'd prerendered cutscenes
-Gamersgate store page lists dual audio support

Evidence against
-Steam store page lists English audio only

Levyne

Banned
Looks that way.

-Language selection for the game's properties lists Japanese
-50 GB download, which would make sense since JP version had different lip-sync'd prerendered cutscenes

Evidence against

Great summary. I hope it's true, but I agree with the idea that it should be a separate download. Baby steps though.

Raitningz

Looks that way.

-In the Steam client, language selection in the game's properties lists Japanese

Evidence against

And for someone in Asia, me, I get only a 27GB game. I only get Japanese voices.

zbarron

Anyone have the best price on the game at the moment? Any coupon codes? I have $0.39 in steam credit and $1.15 for GMG. I disliked this game but would love to see it in 1080p60 and want to show SE that PC gamers want their games and will buy them day one.

garath

Nice one frame per gig.

Still downloading :( going to finish around 5 hours total I think. The unlock will probably take an hour too Lol.

HeelPower

I wonder what the file size for FFXV will be.

I am sure they'll have trouble containing the game on a single bluray.

FFXV will definitely have its fair share of glamorous cutscenes too.

I wonder what the file size for FFXV will be.

I am sure they'll have trouble containing the game on a single bluray.

FFXV will definitely have its fair share of glamorous cutscenes too.

I hope they limit the CGI to the first cutscene and last cutscene if they do at all. My real wish is that they feel they are advanced enough with their real-time renderer that they have NO CGI in the game... but it's Square.

Raitningz

I hope they limit the CGI to the first cutscene and last cutscene if they do at all. My real wish is that they feel they are advanced enough with their real-time renderer that they have NO CGI in the game... but it's Square.

That's what they did for LR and Type-0, am I wrong?

Gbraga

I don't know, I still really like their CGI. I feel rewarded when I reach them.

As long as they don't go too crazy with it, to the point where they need to ship games with 2 blu-ray discs, I'm fine with CGI.

HeelPower

Probably significantly less CGI cutscenes, just like LR and FFXIV.

Its not just visual works that takes up space.FFXV will definitely get pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes.

No matter how good real time cutscenes can get they will never really catch up to pre-rendered stuff, which SE loves to make for mainline FF.

Thoraxes

Dual audio and 60fps confirmed...I can't imagine a world in which those things are true, yet the game maxes out at 720p.

But SE is nothing if not a perpetual disappointment.

Still crossing my fingers.
The only thing I saw was that a 720p supported monitor was a minimum requirement for the game. Are there actual reports confirming a resolution lock?

HeelPower

I think the largest volume of FFXIII data is composed of pre-rendered inengine cutscenes. The game has many hours of these super polished cutscenes.

I don't think visual works has the biggest chunk of data.

Its not just visual works that takes up space.FFXV will definitely get pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes.

No matter how good real time cutscenes can get they will never really catch up to pre-rendered stuff, which SE loves to make for mainline FF.

Actually the only Final Fantasy they made pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes was FF XIII, wasn´t?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
4 specifically, but they were all stacked together to look like 2...

Hmm, I haven't played Type-0. So there were a bunch of CGI in between the game?

CGI and pre-recorded cutscenes, mostly the latter but they are video files that take up a lot of space.

Seeing things rendered in realtime is much more impressive looking in my eyes than things that are pre-rendered. Akin to how a decent looking game in virtual reality has the ability to blow your socks off more than something 2x as good displayed on a monitor.

Well, for me anyways. :p

Top Bottom