• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

Go_Ly_Dow

The XIII games were always interesting from a technical perspective. Unlike most series which build upon their tech and improve visually the series regressed on that front.

You had original XIII which was developed as a PS3 exclusive for some time and then lead on PS3 when it went multiplat. On PlayStation it boasted high levels of detail, poly counts, polish, IQ, AA and stable frame rate. Even Pulse being fairly expansive held a solid FPS with all the monsters around. Then you had the 360 version which was sub-hd and had some massive fps dips.

XIII-2 was built as a multiplat title from the start. The framerate took a massive hit across both versions. The sky boxes were also massive downgraded and it made the visuals much less impressive. Along with that monsters werent even visible on the field so you would think they could keep the FPS locked.

Lightning Returns was simply constrained by budget. Less resources so it was a rush job and the least polished title despite being the 3rs entry. Sure the environments were bigger but the polish went downhill.

XIII original on PS3 was really impressive technically and its a shame they didn't build upon that. Looking forward to seeing how it looks on PC.

I won't bitch about the framerate lock, my monitor is 60hz anyway. Just as long as the lock doesn't do anything funky with my inputs or is v-sync based.

Who am I kidding, I have screen-tearing issues anyway even with only 60fps.

Nevadatan

I wouldn't even unlock it if it was 30 FPS :p

For this game, I'd rather put any additional GPU headroom into running it at higher quality. 6k 30 FPS here I come!

6k ;_;
and here i am with my new 4K TV i believed it was the top notch. lol
but im not going that far. im just gonna play it on my regular 1080 PC screen.
im pretty confident that my crossfirex would be able to run it just fine.

also, durante-senpai noticed me! :)

LAA

Looking forward to this myself.
Trying to get into FFs, have always wanted to. The only thing I don't like about FFs is the Turn based Combat, (Hence why I'm looking forward to FFXV a lot), as I feel I'm:

1. Not so good at it
2. Boring in practice

Trying to overcome these though, playing through FFVIII when I can, and FFXIII, I did try on 360 once, but wanna give it a better attempt. (That and on PC I imagine it'll be glorious)

Downloaded FFXIII last night, took around 5 hours. Never downloaded something to big before on PC, so hoping its worth it!

Saiyan-Rox

So if i;m reading right it's locked to 60FPS and full 1080p?

Any idea of levels of Texture levels and tessellation etc etc?

XIyI2zV.jpg

Let's go !

Pooya

If somebody manages to make a free-cam mod I would consider getting this some day. The chocobo park level (chapter 8 was it? oh man I forgot everything >.<) had a tall fancy looking clock tower you could never fit in the view, it would be cool see the levels from unintended angles.

kick51

Banned
woke up humming the battle theme. pre-load will be done in a couple hours, then to wait for the unlock. cleaning up and dusting my apartment for lightning-san's arrival

zbarron

Yeah, I really never expected them to do more than the bare minimum for these, and even just dual audio is already more than the bare minimum. If 60 FPS pans out (or, ideally, arbitrary framerate!) as well I'm very content.
If it is 720p internal, any plans on working on that oh Based one?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OMW HOME NOW

UEBBJKBKOLBBJWII

Am I the only one that had to delete some files before installing this game?
My 250GB SSD was not enough... and I'm considering buying another one...

Nevadatan

try 300kb/s *cries* lol My connection is usually much faster, but of course - as soon as the FFXIII preload began shit started to break lol

the only thing im ok with my ISP is that these 400+kbps has been solid so far.
they are pretty cool guys and dont apply throttle to me.
oh and the ping to USA is usually low (40-30ms)

Top Bottom