• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
LOL.

Hopefully ATI cards are working better. I keep entering this thread for that reason.

Fractionally better but barely any difference.

Crafting recipes for those interested.

Blacksmith
Item Materials
Bronze Nugget 3 chunks of copper ore, 1 chunk of tin ore
Bronze Ingot 6 bronze nuggets
Copper Nugget 4 chunks of copper ore
Copper Ingot 4 chunks of yellow copper ores
Copper Ingot 6 copper nuggets
Bronze Spear Butt 1 bronze square
Bronze Needle 1 bronze nugget
Bronze Nails 2 bronze nuggets
Bronze Pickaxe Head 1 bronze ingot, 2 bronze nuggets
Brass Hatchet Head 1 brass ingot, 3 brass nuggets
Bronze Spatha 1 bronze spatha blade, 1 aldgoat horn sword grip, 1 slate-grey sheep leather-bound swordguard, 1 handful of brass rivets, 1 block of animal glue
Bronze Gladius 1 bronze gladius blade, 1 aldgoat horn sword grip, 1 sheep leather-bound swordguard, 1 handful of brass rivets, 1 block of animal glue
Bronze Labrys 1 bronze labrys head, 1 ash axe haft, 1 bronze axe butt, 1 red ochre buffalo leather strap, 1 handful of brass rivets, 1 block of animal glue
Iron Labrys 1 iron labrys head, 1 elm axe haft, 1 bronze axe butt, 1 red ochre buffalo leather strap, 1 handful of iron rivets, 1 block of animal glue
Bronze Knuckles 1 bronze ingot, 1 circle of buffalo leather, 1 buffalo leather strap
Bronze Chakram 1 bronze ingot, 1 soot-black buffalo leather strap
Birdsbeak Hammer 1 birdsbeak hammer head, 1 ash hammer grip, 1 bronze ingot, 1 bolt of undyed canvas
Brass Head Knife 1 brass head knife blade, 1 maple head knife grip, 1 block of animal glue
Iron Saw 1 iron saw blade, 1 elm saw grip, 1 handful of iron rivets

Weaver
Item Materials
Hempen Yarn 2 clumps of moko grass
Undyed Hempen Cloth 3 spindle of hempen yarn
Hempen Fent 1 bolt of undyed hempen cloth
Mole-brown Hempen Cloth 3 spindles of hempen yarn, 1 pot of mole-brown hemp dye
Cotton Yarn 2 cotton bolls
Sepia-brown Canvas 4 spindles of cotton yarn, 1 pot of sepia-brown canvas dye
Crow Fletchings 3 crow feathers
Hempen Socks 1 bolt of undyed hempen cloth, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Cotton Socks 1 bolt of olive-green cotton cloth, 1 spindle of cotton yarn
Hempen Inner Dalmatica 2 bolts of undyed hempen cloth, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Hempen Coif 2 bolts of hempen of undyed hempen cloth, 1 sheep leather strap, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Cotton Coif 1 bolt of undyed hemen cloth, 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 1 sheep leather strap, 1 spindle of cotton yarn
Hempen Dalmatica hempen inner dalmatica, 2 bolts of sand-brown hempen cloth, 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 1 pair of sand-brown hempen sleeves, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Cotton Trousers 2 bolts of undyed cotton cloth, 1 circle of dodo leather, 1 dodo leather strap, 1 handful of brass rivets, 1 spindle of cotton yarn
Hempen Chausses 2 bolts of sand-brown hempen cloth, 2 bolts of mole-brown hempen cloth, 1 bolt of lead-grey hempen cloth, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Cotton Slops 2 bolts of undyed cotton cloth, 1 midnight-black dodo leather strap, 1 spindle of cotton yarn
Hempen Beret 1 bolt of lead-grey hempen cloth, 1 bolt of sand-brown hempen cloth, 1 basket of apkallu down, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Canvas Hat 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 2 bolts of undyed canvas, 1 spindle of cotton yarn
Plumed Bronze Pickaxe 1 bronze pickaxe, 1 iron buckle, 1 bolt of undyed cotton yarn, 1 cock feather

Leatherworker
Item Materials
Sheep Leather 1 sheepskin, 1 handful of oak chips
Sheep Leather Spetch 1 circle of sheepskin leather
Sheep Leather Strap 1 circle of sheepskin leather
Sheepskin Outsoles 2 circles of sheepskin leather, 1 block of animal glue
Leather-bound Swordguard 1 circle of slate-grey sheep leather, 1 antelope sinew cord
Slate-grey Sheep Leather 1 sheepskin, 1 handful of oak chips, 1 pot of slate-grey sheep leather dye
Hempen Breeches 1 circle of taupe sheep leather, 1 taupe-sheep leather strap, 2bolts of mole-brown hempen cloth, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Cotton Breeches 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 1 sheep leather strap, 2 bolts of dull vermilion cotton cloth,1 spindle of cotton yarn
Sheepskin Duckbills 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 1 sheep leather strap, 1 pair of sand-brown hempen socks, 1 pair of sheepskin outsoles, 1 antelope sinew cord, 1 handful of brass nails
Padded Sheepskin Duckbills 1 circle of dodo leather, 1 sheep leather strap, 1 pair of maize-yellow cotton socks, 1 pair of sheepskin outsoles, 1 antelope sinew cord, 1 handful of brass nails
Leather Satchel Belt 2 circles of moss-green buffalo leather, 1 iron buckle, 1 antelope sinew cord
Smithy's Gloves 2 circles of sheepskin leather, 1 sheep leather strap, 1 antelope sinew cord
Sheepskin Targe 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 1 sheep leather strap, 1 lauan plank, 1 handful of copper rivets, 1 antelope sinew cord, 1 lump of beeswax
Wrapped Maple Longbow 1 maple longbow, 1 circle of soot-black buffalo leather, 1 soot-black buffalo leather strap,1 sheet of silver plate, 1 handful of silver rivets, 1 pinch of brimstone
Leather Himantes 1 pair of leather knuckle guards , 1 pair of bronze himantes grips, 1 bolt of undyed canvas, 1 block of animal glue, 1 antelope sinew cord

Carpenter
Item Materials
Oak Chips 1 oak log
Willow Lumber 1 willow log
Elm Saw Grip 1 piece of elm lumber, 1 sheet of brass plate, 1 handful of iron nails
Bronze Arrow 1 handful of bronze arrowheads, 1 handful of cock fletchings, 1 bundle of cedar arrow shafts, block of animal glue, 1 spindle of hempen yarn
Maple Wand 1 maple branch, 1 bottle of growth formula alpha
Pine Crook 1 pine branch, 1 pot of viscous secretions, 1 bottle of beastkin blood
Bronze Spear 1 bronze spearhead, 1 maple spear shaft, 1 bronze spear butt, iron spear clasp, 1 block of animal glue
Harpoon 2 bone harpoon heads, 1 maple spear shaft, 1 bronze spear clasp, 1 block of animal glue
Maple Longbow 1 maple branch, 2 pieces of maple lumber, 1 linen bowstring, 1 circle of sheepskin leather, 1 block of animal glue
Lauan Pattens 1 pair of slate-grey sheepskin vamps, 1 pair of undyed hempen socks, 1 lauan plank, 1 slate-grey sheep leather strap, 1 antelope sinew cord, 1 handful of brass nails
Maple Pattens 1 pair of uncolored leather vamps, 1 pair of undyed cotton socks, 1 maple plank, 1 uncolored buffalo leather strap, 1 antelope sinew cord, 1 handful of brass nails
Square Maple Shield 2 maple planks, 1 sheet of bronze plate, 1 uncolored sheep leather strap, 1 handful of bronze nails, 1 handful of bronze rivets
Round Chestnut Shield 1 sheet of bronze plate, 2 chestnut planks, 1 circle of buffalo leather, 1 uncolored buffalo leather strap, 1 handful of bronze nails
Bronze Pickaxe 1 bronze pickaxe head, 1 maple pickaxe shaft, 1 handful of bronze nails, 1 bolt of undyed hempen cloth
Brass Hatchet 1 brass hatchet head, 1 ash hatchet haft, 1 sheet of brass plate, 1 block of animal glue

Teknoman

evilpigking said:
Like 30+ minutes "awhile?"

Nope, not that long...guess you might want to reset or just wait awhile. Seems like its still having login troubles.

Too bad S-E wont extend the times because of this.

Ronok

I was playing and then got an error when I completed a quest. Since then I can't get back onto the Kefka server and I'm receiving a long error code that's different from the usual format. :( Is anyone else getting problems on Kefka?

Jinko said:
Fractionally better but barely any difference.
My 4890 is running far better than Tuesday. Now any stuttering I get seems to be down to lag and causes my character and the game to quickly speed up after.

Zomba13

Yeah took me 40 mins a while to make my character and get on. Seriously annoying having it not connect when making the character and have him vanish >.<

Add me to the Shadowlord list too. Zomba Thirteen.

Ronok

MiloFoxburr said:
My 4890 is running far better than Tuesday. Now any stuttering I get seems to be down to lag and causes my character and the game to quickly speed up after.

Same with the 5770. In laggy areas it's horrid though. lol

Jinko

Yea but lag shouldn't effect the framerate at all, there is something seriously wrong with their game engine if thats the case.

Like I say its better, but in town is still almost unplayable.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
MiloFoxburr said:
All the npcs in town seem to be hiding from me on Shadowlord :/

Lucky you are on. Anyway you are desync with the server.

Ronok

This is so frustrating, I woke up excited to play again and this is such a let down. :lol I don't even know if I got the reward for that Leve I completed before getting kicked off. lol

No45

I tried to play this a little on Tuesday (Didn't get much time). I don't have a pad I can use on the PC, but I still can't get the hang of the controls with mouse and keyboard. :(

Is there a way to make the controls less like you're mimicking a pad and more like it's been designed to be played with keyboard/mouse or am I asking for too much? Any suggestions on ways to control the game without a pad?

Jinko

[Date & Time]
Jul. 15, 2010 from 15:00 to 16:00 (GMT)
* Maintenance completion time may be subject to change.

6 minutes until go!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jinko said:
I don't see it really, you expect these kind of technical problems with any beta IMO.
I'm talking about my performance issues, interface lag, terrible menus, and lack of any general direction at all for the player.

gillty

Banned
I'm in!

Performance issues and the keyboard controls are completely broken, but I love the overall direction they are going w/ the menu system personally.

btw am I the only one who thinks excessive hand holding is bad? The game gives the player just enough direction towards the first guildleve and thats good enough for me. I'm really sick of years of QuestHelper and the likes in other games like WoW.

Jinko

Hazaro said:
I'm talking about my performance issues, interface lag, terrible menus, and lack of any general direction at all for the player.

Oh right, I agree the menu system coudl do with some streamlining.

I like the lack on no direction though, makes it more fun to explore and find out new things.

chris-013

It's very hard to play without PS3 / Xbox pad.

If they don't improve keyboard/mouse control, I don't think the game will pass 100k sub but I can already see the PS3 version having a better launch with more refined content and gameplay.

LowParry

Hazaro said:

Sounds like WoW when it was in beta back in vanilla days.

chris-013 said:

If they don't improve keyboard/mouse control, I don't think the game will pass 100k sub but I can already see the PS3 version having a better launch with more refined content and gameplay.

Keyboard isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It's just that the mouse has little to no function with the game. Chances are you'll use the keyboard for everything.

Teknoman

Dont really see any lack of direction, its actually about the same as any final fantasy series game now. XI was bad in that aspect, but XIV starts you off with a battle tutorial, tells you to talk to an npc who not only gives you a heads up on guildleves, but actually marks the next place to go on the map.

After you finish the first guildleve, he then contacts you again and directs you to the next places you should visit.

There arent any arrows or anything, but all the npcs have been pretty direct in telling you what to do/what they want, without dragging you right to it. Not to mention the journal is really detailed.

After you finish the first main quest, you can pick up more guildleves/fight random stuff for exp, items, money, and then mess around in town with other professions/items. When you've done all that, all thats really left for now is to explore further out, find different camps, areas, and guildleves.

chris-013 said:

the notes on the tester site mentioned fixing this, although i can't believe the camera controls have not been changed yet

Retrofluxed

chris-013 said:

I agree. Without a good keyboard/mouse setup, they are dooming themselves to the same subscriber base FFXI had. I really don't understand why they wouldn't try to appeal to more people. I know damn well plenty of people are tired of WoW and want to try something new, but they'll at least expect decent keyboard/mouse controls.

LaneDS

It's absolutely lacking in direction once you complete the starting quest (Treasures of the Main) and the Levequests available to you. You can roam the barren zone and fight monsters that probably shouldn't be there.

As for exploring, you can find a variety of empty locations and invisible walls if you set out to do so.

I know it's beta, and some folks have already replied to me directly saying this is all intentional on Square's part, but damn if it doesn't fill me with me with worry for the launch of this game. I very much want to be proven wrong on all of the above, mind you, just waiting for Square to actually do so.

Jinko

It's absolutely lacking in direction once you complete the starting quest (Treasures of the Main) and the Levequests available to you. You can roam the barren zone and fight monsters that probably shouldn't be there.

Thats because there is currently no more content :S

Teknoman

What else should there be? Granted I havent finished all the levequests yet, but theres still that Casseopia dungeon, and several other camps that are listed in the party search/request menu (not sure if all are in beta). I know its pretty restricted in content atm, but there still seems to be plenty to do for the limited time we have.

Now once things go 24/7, i'm sure things will be expanded.

EDIT: Are the servers back up?

LaneDS

Once you run out of levequests, which didn't take long, you're left with the following options in the current phase of beta:

-Grind on enemies. There are two variety of enemies, the very easy kind (Wharf Rats and such) and the ones that are clearly not balanced for a starting zone (most everything else). And to me, grinding and leveling up is pretty pointless when there's nothing in the game yet to do with a powered up character.
-Harvest stuff and level up something like Botanist or Miner, which is (a) pretty boring and (b) pretty pointless presently. It's also very unfinished according to Square (things like Lay of the Land are mentioned in the tutorial levequests and don't appear to be in the game, or at least weren't when I switched over my Pugilist to the appropriate gathering class).
-Explore. The game is very pretty, but there are two "zones" outside of Limsa Lominsa, the second one being very difficult to explore due to the strength of the monsters there. And even if you can explore it, it's just as barren and empty and lacking in content as the zone above ground. Sure, it looks different, but that, to me, is hardly compelling content.

The game looks great. I like the combat. I think it'll be really great in time. If this beta is indicative of Square's progress, launching it in two months is a mistake. Content, to me, means having some purpose to the experience. Leveling up just to level up does not inspire me to play the game.

I know plenty is being withheld from the beta, so my comments are really only directed at the game in it's current closed beta state. I keep saying it because I mean it, but I really don't want to be negative towards the game. I'm hoping it's fantastic and I hope to proven wrong ultimately as I really enjoyed a lot about XI and want to see this game take those positives from XI and make smart changes to make it a MMO that lasts for another decade or so.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Baloonatic said:
Damn, it kicks you out of character creation if you get a timeout. I guess you lose the character you made?
Yup.

I remade my character about 9 times before it let me in (I think dssu is on remake #20 or something). Had tons of timeouts and connection errors the times it didn't let me remake my character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom