• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Kirashi said:
tried it a bit last night...
how can anyone approve this shitty control on the kb?
it's totally designed for gamepads

i played 4 years of ff11 (2002-2006) and wow (late 2005-2009). i remember i used to really like ff11's control. maybe wow's flawless control really did it for me?

I am about to cancel my preorder because of the shit controls, arg.

This game is designed for a gamepad. Suck it up.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kirashi said:

i played 4 years of ff11 (2002-2006) and wow (late 2005-2009). i remember i used to really like ff11's control. maybe wow's flawless control really did it for me?

Playing FFXI the controls feel fine. My only issue is the camera control which I hope they move back to the arrow keys. I never use the mouse for XI so not using the mouse for XIV feels fine.

Tried using the PS3 controller and I did not like it. Keyboard only ftw.

Kyoufu

Forbiden said:
Question. Once I download the .patch file for the newest update, where do I place the file?

In here:

Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch <---

Once you open the d96 folder there is another folder called "patch", put it inside that.

Salaadin

Forbiden said:
Question. Once I download the .patch file for the newest update, where do I place the file?

Pretty sure its
Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads\ffxiv-beta\d96437e6\patch

Ploid 3.0

Metalmurphy said:
Only if I can have it back later :p

2jbodhh.gif

Aww thought you was completely done with it, that's ok, was worth a shot hah.

Kirashi said:

It's in beta, and they've been testing different control schemes. People have been going crazy complaining about the way it is right now, so they'll change it.

Protip: move using numpad, not wasd. It's a lot less clumsy, since you can lock onto mobs using the numpad, then take your left hand off the camera controls for battle and have your left hand on the numbers for actions, and right hand on the numpad for movement. It works out decently if you're used to numpad movement, but it's still not as good as ffxi or wow controls.

Teknoman

sky said:
Are there any other explorable areas?
Almost all the screens I've seen are of the same few zones...

La Noscea is really big. There is a place called Casseopia Hollow that I want to check out in the zone though. Same with a bay section that looks like it has Drakes. Not sure if anyone has covered the entire zone yet...

But once I get situated on Shadowlord, thats the first thing i'm going for.

Teknoman

The armor system seems to be alot more lenient too. I mean, i'm a lancer running around with a mage hat. Kind of reminds me of Dragon Quest IX, where most armor pieces are universal except a few gender specific items, job specific items, or items that are just better with certain jobs than others.

Hopefully the dye/color edit system is easy to use.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
You should be able to wear whatever the hell you want, IMO. Leave it up to the players if they wanna be jackasses and go tank mobs in mage gear.

Tabris is gonna have a field day with this :lol

I'm all for equipment diversity.

Teknoman

HappyBivouac said:
It'd be end up a balancing nightmare I think.

But since they're more keen on players making their own classes, maybe it could work.

Well in Dragon Quest IX, anyone can wear a turban, however, it boosts Magic mending, magic might, and defense stats. This means even though anyone can wear it, it's best for mages or priests. So im sure it could work out somehow.

desa

Teknoman said:
La Noscea is really big. There is a place called Casseopia Hollow that I want to check out in the zone though. Same with a bay section that looks like it has Drakes. Not sure if anyone has covered the entire zone yet...

But once I get situated on Shadowlord, thats the first thing i'm going for.

ffxivgame%202010-07-13%2009-49-03-97.png

Teknoman said:
Well in Dragon Quest IX, anyone can wear a turban, however, it boosts Magic mending, magic might, and defense stats. This means even though anyone can wear it, it's best for mages or priests. So im sure it could work out somehow.

Thinking in FFXI terms...

Byakko's Haidate is a great leg piece for the jobs that can wear it. The DEX+15 is fairly nice for those jobs, so they wanted to put it on there. But if suddenly the piece was available to THF, it would be a completely broken item for that job. (though SE could throw THFs a bone or two...)

It just seems like they'd have to take too many things into account and end up limiting themselves where gear stats are all relatively similar.

To me it's something that at first sounds like it could be cool but would lead to headaches down the road.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New update:

On Jul. 14, 2010 at around 23:15 (PDT), we performed a version update of the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version. The update will be performed automatically when you next run the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version.

Details on the update will be announced separately.

Ok, here is a workaround for anyone who didnt make to the last update.

Download the SquareEnix.rar file and extract to FFXIV instalation folder, then launch FFXIV and i will update to the last one (small file)

LowParry

Wonder what the details will be. Hopefully we see some control fixes. I rather see those done first before getting into the graphical issues.

Edit: You can start the client and it will start the update.

Edit 2: Didn't seem long of a d/l. 5 - 10 minutes if that.

hgplayer1

thanks for the heads up on the update doing it now so I wont have to tomorrow.

Tek and all other shadowlord people, I wont be able to play until the 2nd test period but as soon as I get on I want to start killing mobs for exp.

I will most likely stay in the area just as you leave town until we get a party going so look for me there.

Lucis

HappyBivouac said:
It's in beta, and they've been testing different control schemes. People have been going crazy complaining about the way it is right now, so they'll change it.

Protip: move using numpad, not wasd. It's a lot less clumsy, since you can lock onto mobs using the numpad, then take your left hand off the camera controls for battle and have your left hand on the numbers for actions, and right hand on the numpad for movement. It works out decently if you're used to numpad movement, but it's still not as good as ffxi or wow controls.

i know to use numpad for movement, i played ff11 for 4 years.
i don't exactly remember how camera was controled in ff11 however it wasn't as tedious as ijkl control, and since my hand is on numpad, there's no way i'll be using the mouse. maybe wasd could been camera instead of secondary movement?
or maybe numpad 7 9 can be camera control (but what about up and down?), and we all know 7 is the beloved auto run in ff11 (which still is the case now)
O and, the active/passive thing. .... it took like 4 second after pressing f for the animation to start, very ;/

i'll try more tomorrow (or rather later today) when beta starts again... the action is WAY SLOW ;/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I launched it and it says it is downloading 07.05...

But I launched it last time and had it on 07.12
Should I not be running the updater now?

*Wait no it says 07.14
It was the boot version I was looking at.

Looks like the patch files are:
D2010.07.14.2000
D2010.07.14.2001 (Of course all peers are stuck at 84.2% :lol )
D2010.07.15.2000
if that is all I can UL them to mediafire.

15.5MB total

If someone can remind me how/where to install/place the patchs and run the updater.exe? that would be great.

Nose Master

Gromph said:
New update:

Ok, here is a workaround for anyone who didnt make to the last update.

Download the SquareEnix.rar file and extract to FFXIV instalation folder, then launch FFXIV and i will update to the last one (small file)

Wait so, you're gonna host the newest little patch seperate on top of the squareenix.rar one? Cause that'd make me love you even more :p

Seriously though, I fucking love you for doing this, man. I probably wouldn't be able to play tomorrow otherwise.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Dont think i will upload the little patch :)

This workaround if you didnt update with 12.200 couse SE folder is the installation folder allready updated.

:=)

I've spent since Monday night trying to download the patches. I finally just found the link here this morning to download the 7/12 3 gig patch, so I did... now it wants to download another 3 Gig patch (H2010.07.15.2000.patch), and by the time it'll be done, today's beta testing will be over too. What a mess.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kulock said:
I've spent since Monday night trying to download the patches. I finally just found the link here this morning to download the 7/12 3 gig patch, so I did... now it wants to download another 3 Gig patch (H2010.07.15.2000.patch), and by the time it'll be done, today's beta testing will be over too. What a mess.
It's 15MB. If you've updated and installed the 7.12 patch you are ok.

07.15 patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?wzmiwngjzwvnt5j

Kulock said:

The patcher is fairly stupid, if you're in the middle of downloading or have downloaded an older patch but not installed it by the time a new patch is released the patcher will begin downloading the new full patch.

What you need now is http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar which Gromph awesomely uploaded. It's the full FF14 install folder rar'ed up. So you can download that and just have to download a couple of small patches with the updater.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kulock said:
I figured it was trying to redownload the whole thing with the recent changes rolled in, but how do I force it to install the 7/12 patch? Something to do with ffxivupdater.exe?

Place the 3.5GB .patch file in the patch directory that the .txt file says along with the other 3

I mean you could still try it.
The patcher is fairly stupid, if you're in the middle of downloading or have downloaded an older patch but not installed it by the time a new patch is released the patcher will begin downloading the new full patch.
Really? That's... unfortunate.

Hazaro said:

Place the 3.5GB .patch file in the patch directory that the .txt file says along with the other 3

I mean you could still try it.

That was the first thing I tried once I'd downloaded it, unfortunately.

MiloFoxburr said:
What you need now is http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar which Gromph awesomely uploaded. It's the full FF14 install folder rar'ed up. So you can download that and just have to download a couple of small patches with the updater.

I'll do this then, 2 hours is better than nothing. Thanks for the help, and thanks to Gromph.

Of course, if I could force the patch I already downloaded to install, that would be great too.

Kulock said:
Of course, if I could force the patch I already downloaded to install, that would be great too.

I'm not sure you can. Some of us had the same issue on Tuesday. What I did was rename the patch I had gotten from Gromph to the new patch name which gave me about 60% of the new patch and then just had to grab the last 40%.

Getting the fully installed folder is far easier though.

desu

HappyBivouac said:

I checked the beta forums and people have been complaining about it pretty much since the start? Yet there was nothing changed. Also this game has been in development for 5? years and yet the controls are utterly shit, honestly a 1-2 man indi team gets better controls together. I really have very very little faith into the fact that they will suddenly make the controls useable in two months (but obviously I would be more than happy to be wrong about this...).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Let users change their hotkeys, lets some person in the community make a control scheme everyone likes, patch that in as an option, then enable hardware mouse control.

So easy.

Jinko

See they fixed the Nvidia problems but not the ATI Ones, thanks a bunch SE, server selection is in at least.

desu said:
Trying to play with Dual Shock 3 this time, is there a recommended button layout for it?

Default works great you may want to swap the circle (action) and cross (cancel) button over though in the configs.

Komoto: We want players to focus on how they engage a monster. In FFXI, you would just kill one after the other, but now there are party vs. party battles which demand players focus on tactics and strategy. This is just something I found funny, but there are monsters that will stare in your direction. So, you might think "What are you lookin' at?" and smack them only to find out they're ridiculously strong. (laughs) Even in regular battles you will find yourself in wrapped up in all sorts of situations. I think that's something people will really enjoy.

Made me laugh.

Londa

Banned
Yesterday I bought a logitech controller for my Laptop. I just could not get with using "wasd" for movement and using "jikl" for camera. My hands felt cramped together and it was harder to tab through targets while trying to move. Wtf was they thinking by doing a change from the number pad?

This set up is better for desktop computers. But for my laptop it was a pain. Maybe I will try using my logitech cordless keyboard later today... hmmmmmmmm

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Jinko said:
See they fixed the Nvidia problems but not the ATI Ones, thanks a bunch SE, server selection is in at least.

Default works great you may want to swap the circle (action) and cross (cancel) button over though in the configs.
If I plug in my DS3 do I need the drivers that I've seen floating about?
I have a wired 360 pad too if that is an option.

Jinko

My bad

- On certain AMD (ATI) graphics cards, the FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version may run slowly.
* Partial measure has been implemented during the Jul. 14, 2010 version update.

They really need to learn how to keep all the new upadted stuff together, its just a wall of text otherwise.

Yea I think you need the DS3 driver (its a complete pain to install on windows 7), 360 requires driver aswell but is part of windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom