• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arzehn

Does the game crash for anyone else after playing for around 1 hour? It keeps happening to me. :( Using Catalyst 10.8...

Also, this might have been cleared up before but will quests be fully voiced in retail? I feel like I would care more about the story if characters spoke. :p

Yeah, I was complaining about the sparseness of voice work earlier. It's a bit surprising that with this type of budget Squenix didn't even voice any of the story missions outside of the opening cutscenes.

In unrelated news, my computer is busy IntelBurnTesting itself at 4.2ghz. I keep having to resist the urge to look at it every couple of seconds to see if it's crashed while I browse the web on my laptop. If all goes well, I'll be ready for launch.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Unknown Soldier said:
Yeah, I was complaining about the sparseness of voice work earlier. It's a bit surprising that with this type of budget Squenix didn't even voice any of the story missions outside of the opening cutscenes.

I'm glad. I don't care for the voice work in the game.

Meeru

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:

In unrelated news, my computer is busy IntelBurnTesting itself at 4.2ghz. I keep having to resist the urge to look at it every couple of seconds to see if it's crashed while I browse the web on my laptop. If all goes well, I'll be ready for launch.
What voltages are you set at?

valenti said:
What voltages are you set at?

They're not. It's looking bad for 4.2ghz right now, I just can't get this chip stable. If my current testing bears out my hypothesis, that the core can't take 4.2ghz at a decent voltage and temperature, I'm most likely dropping back to 4.0ghz. It hurts me inside to think I might have failed so spectacularly, but I was seeing 90C temps as I pushed the voltages up and up and it still wasn't stable! Apparently HyperThreading is a huge heat monster and most people OC with HT turned off. I should have realized this before I purposely paid extra because I wanted HT on my CPU, otherwise I could have gotten the cheaper i5-760 and called it a day. :lol

Meeru

Banned
You bought a different processor? I thought you had the i5 760 :p and I was wondering what voltages you were using for your cpu at 4.2ghz

Anomarad said:
Does the game crash for anyone else after playing for around 1 hour? It keeps happening to me. :( Using Catalyst 10.8...

Also, this might have been cleared up before but will quests be fully voiced in retail? I feel like I would care more about the story if characters spoke. :p
Catalyst 10.9 is out, give that a try.

...though it still crashes for me with 10.9. However, it now does it a lot less often than it did before - for me, a half hour without a crash was super rare, let alone an hour, but since I got 10.9, it crashed after an hour, then a half hour, then 45 minutes.

As for voice, at PAX they talked about it, and no the quests won't be fully voiced - there are going to be WAY WAY too many of them for that. But at PAX they talked as if more than just the intro would be voiced.

Arzehn

Dreamwriter said:
Catalyst 10.9 is out, give that a try.

...though it still crashes for me with 10.9. However, it now does it a lot less often than it did before - for me, a half hour without a crash was super rare, let alone an hour, but since I got 10.9, it crashed after an hour, then a half hour, then 45 minutes.

As for voice, at PAX they talked about it, and no the quests won't be fully voiced - there are going to be WAY WAY too many of them for that. But at PAX they talked as if more than just the intro would be voiced.

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one with these issues. Hope they fix this for release.

Shame about the voice stuff. :(

Ronok

In an interview a while back they were saying they would voice any scenes where they wanted the player to pay attention to what's on the screen. So any time there is action in a cs it should be voiced. Although it would be nice, there is no real reason to voice scenes where they are just standing about.

Jinko

Ideally they need to voice all of everything, there are free to play MMO's out there now that voice most things, take a look at Allods Online for example.

SE have no excuse really and should be following the trend, but heh I suppose they should have an AH aswell.

Caj814

Jinko said:
Ideally they need to voice all of everything, there are free to play MMO's out there now that voice most things, take a look at Allods Online for example.

SE have no excuse really and should be following the trend, but heh I suppose they should have an AH aswell.

No excuses there but I think the only "excuse" they have is that the NPC's always call you by name but if I remember right in FFX NO ONE ever called Tidus by name.It was always "hey" "you" etc.

Caj814 said:
No excuses there but I think the only "excuse" they have is that the NPC's always call you by name but if I remember right in FFX NO ONE ever called Tidus by name.It was always "hey" "you" etc.

Yes. And then after that starting in FFXII and FFXIII everyone called each other by their canonical assigned names. FFX was the last offline FF game where you could name yourself, and the reason was because of voice work.

Well, that's all folks. The beta servers just shut down. I was just going through the LL opening to see what it was like in OB, and then I was going to do the Gridania opening to see it. I guess I'll never see how you start in Gridania now. :lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Well, that's all folks. The beta servers just shut down. I was just going through the LL opening to see what it was like in OB, and then I was going to do the Gridania opening to see it. I guess I'll never see how you start in Gridania now. :lol
People fall from the sky, you get attacked by wolves, wolves get eaten by a tree, then Moogles. It's the most humorous of the openings, I think.

Cathcart

Gridania really has the best storyline, at least based on what was in the beta. I considered starting in LL for easy wind shard farming but screw it, I can always run out there later. I actually want to continue the Gridania story in the full game.

Balya

Sorry if this was asked, but if I uninstall the beta now will it automatically keep my saved character creations or is there a specific folder I need to back up first and then paste into the retail version?

Salaadin

Balya said:
Sorry if this was asked, but if I uninstall the beta now will it automatically keep my saved character creations or is there a specific folder I need to back up first and then paste into the retail version?
Character data is stored in My Documents. According to SE, uninstalling the beta will not delete this folder so your data is safe if you uninstall

Rentahamster said:
So is this thread gonna continue so we can discuss all our secret stuff we don't want to post on the main thread?

Secret stuff should be discussed in an entirely separate forum which can only be accessed by approved accounts (GAF LS members) with a password. Someone who has the initiative and the spare time could create such a forum. Tens of thousands of people read GAF every day, there is NOTHING secret when posting to GAF.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Secret stuff should be discussed in an entirely separate forum which can only be accessed by approved accounts (GAF LS members) with a password. Someone who has the initiative and the spare time could create such a forum. Tens of thousands of people read GAF every day, there is NOTHING secret when posting to GAF.
Don't gotta be that hardcore. Online forum is fine. Unless you're joking, then :lol

Jonnyram

Right now, it looks like I'm heading to Rabanastre. 99% sure.
But what if they reveal some cool new server names tomorrow? What then? ;)
I bet they drop another 9 so there are two from each FF.

Edit: still can't comprehend why the FFXI crowd didn't pick Selbina, by default. So many awesome memories of goblin trains at that entrance to the dunes :lol

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Don't gotta be that hardcore. Online forum is fine. Unless you're joking, then :lol

Supposedly each linkshell gets its own forum, through that players site thingamebobsit.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think it would be a good idea to name our retainers something useful in order to advertise our wares better.

Something like "Weapons" or "Armor" or something to catch potential buyers' eyes.

DrDogg

Are we creating a new thread for retail discussion or just using something else? Not sure if I trust the SE forum-thingy... :lol

For valenti:

My final OC looks like this - i7-950 @ 4.01ghz (191 x 21), 1.27500v. Gigabyte boards have multiple levels of Load Line Calibration in the BIOS, mine is set to Level 2. You'll want to do the same. Validated with 24 hours of Prime95 Large FFTs, 1 hour of IntelBurnTest, and pending a memtest86+ run I will leave going overnight. I'm not OCing my memory past it's rated spec (DDR3-1600, 8/8/8/24, 1.60v) so I'm not anticipating anything terribly interesting from the memtest86+ run. My GTX 470 was validated at 760/1520/1850 with 1 hour of eVGA OC Scanner back when I first bought it a few months ago.

I'm pretty sure I'm ready for FFXIV.

Meeru

Banned
Hmm here's mine:
i5-760 at 3.8ghz 1.2v, everything else is normal.
i disabled my load line calibration..but ill look into it.
did 20 hrs of occt. (ive been using occt for a long time and like it)

Meeru

Banned
Well I want to limit my voltage to 1.2v. I just happen to like 1.2 for some reason :p I haven't tried going any further than 3.8 ghz but I'll give it a shot. (Only reason why I stopped at 3.8 was cuz my e8400 was 3.8ghz also lol)

Torquill

Rentahamster said:
I think it would be a good idea to name our retainers something useful in order to advertise our wares better.

Something like "Weapons" or "Armor" or something to catch potential buyers' eyes.
It's lik I'm nostradomus!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom