• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcye

Will I get a full set of Evoker gear from some later quest? I think my robe/coat is still a random quest drop. At least my Elezen elf dude does not look like an escaped gimp any more.

Gloves, Pants, Boots and Head come from the lvl45 quests, Chest comes from the lvl50 quest.

dcye

Much obliged. That'll take some time though.

At your stage I really wouldn't worry about gear. I know its hard not to but your evoker gear will be gone very fast once you start doing lvl50 content, and most of the rest of your dungeons during the story will be super easy with a bunch of endgame guys blitzing the content for you for tomes/triple triad cards. Just finish out your quests in the gear you have, and get ready for a culture shock once you finish the 2.0 story.

Ken

DF'd T13 with 6 other Final Witnesses. The dream.

we made it to storm once and vote abandoned. The nightmare.

Semper88

DF'd T13 with 6 other Final Witnesses. The dream.

we made it to storm once and vote abandoned. The nightmare.

Did T9 a few days ago PF farm group..

No soldiery so i was like oke thats a decent start.. Everyone with zeta's n stuff. Deeps was so bad we got 5 rocks in P1.. Then the green one didnt die fast enough.. And we couldnt push heavensfall so got a second dragon.

I raged out for the first time.

20% echo yeah.. Well i gave up on the community.

glaurung

At your stage I really wouldn't worry about gear. I know its hard not to but your evoker gear will be gone very fast once you start doing lvl50 content, and most of the rest of your dungeons during the story will be super easy with a bunch of endgame guys blitzing the content for you for tomes/triple triad cards. Just finish out your quests in the gear you have, and get ready for a culture shock once you finish the 2.0 story.
Yeah I know full well that the real game does not start until I hit 50 and complete the main campaign storyline.

Then again, I will never become a hardcore raiding and dungeon player. More likely grind a bit for those cooler looking lv50 gear pieces and then wait for Heavensward to roll a horny engineer. Or was it machinist?

dcye

So Jeral and Raylan, are you going to leave kittens then? I guess Asera is indeed bored since he is hands-down one of the best players I've met. Can't say about you two, though :p

Would never leave the group. Never even implied that haha.

Tash

Would never leave the group. Never even implied that haha.

I just wonder what changing server would improve in regards to being bored.. Most challenging content is done in 8s anyway. WoD and the other towers I don't consider challenging. Once they actually allow you to properly queue as a full alliance it will get better for farming, too.

Since you complain about the rest of the server being bad, why do you group with them in the first place if you have kittens? Do you really believe other servers are better in regards to PFs? There is a reason I avoid PFing or DFing at all costs.

dcye

I just wonder what changing server would improve in regards to being bored.. Most challenging content is done in 8s anyway. WoD and the other towers I don't consider challenging. Once they actually allow you to properly queue as a full alliance it will get better for farming, too.

Since you complain about the rest of the server being bad, why do you group with them in the first place if you have kittens? Do you really believe other servers are better in regards to PFs? There is a reason I avoid PFing or DFing at all costs.

I didnt say everyone was bad, I said a lot of people are. And they are. You can argue with me like Casper does on the forum but it doesn't change it. Its not like I'm calling you bad at all, don't take it so personally.

In any case, I know for a fact that PF is significantly better on Gilga and Ragnarok, I'm sure its the same on others. I know people who cleared T13 in PF on Gilga with all first timers before even we did as a group.

Have you tried pony farming on Phoenix through PF? Not even the best players can handle it without losing their shit. I've been paid by friends TWICE to help them on Pony farms because the general "farm group" pop is complete trash. It grates when you can't play on your own to do something. Not everyone in kittens want to do the same things, we can't neccesarily drag 4 people who dont want to go through titan EX 20 times for our ponies.

Plus I'm Australian so I'm not regularly around when the rest of us are online. I get up at 4am to raid, for example. If the general population was actually good I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of this game, which is a shame because I love it.

Tash

I didnt say everyone was bad, I said a lot of people are. And they are. You can argue with me like Casper does on the forum but it doesn't change it. Its not like I'm calling you bad at all, don't take it so personally.

In any case, I know for a fact that PF is significantly better on Gilga and Ragnarok, I'm sure its the same on others. I know people who cleared T13 in PF on Gilga with all first timers before even we did as a group.

Have you tried pony farming on Phoenix through PF? Not even the best players can handle it without losing their shit. I've been paid by friends TWICE to help them on Pony farms because the general "farm group" pop is complete trash. It grates when you can't play on your own to do something. Not everyone in kittens want to do the same things, we can't neccesarily drag 4 people who dont want to go through titan EX 20 times for our ponies.

Plus I'm Australian so I'm not regularly around when the rest of us are online. I get up at 4am to raid, for example. If the general population was actually good I'd get a lot more enjoyment out of this game, which is a shame because I love it.

I didn't take it personal at all. After all I can't remember when or if we grouped :p
However, I don't consider myself an amazing player. I am ok, I guess.

I just think you have a case of the grass is always greener, thing. But hey, whatever makes you happy :)

Keep your salt in your pockets.

Salt? What lol? You're doing the lords work. I wouldn't have cleared Turn 9 on Excalibur PF without it, you were there I believe at one point? You know how fucking stupid everyone is.

Half of my static quit during progression.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Salt? What lol? You're doing the lords work. I wouldn't have cleared Turn 9 on Excalibur PF without it, you were there I believe at one point? You know how fucking stupid everyone is.

Half of my static quit during progression.

It's more like most good western communities are tightly cliqued so if you're not a part of one, gg.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Two more months until babby mode Alexander. I look forward to the endless runs having to go back just for one specific thing that just won't drop!

Tash

Two more months until babby mode Alexander. I look forward to the endless runs having to go back just for one specific thing that just won't drop!

Still confused about the Alexander modes..NM is going to be easier than Final Coil and HM is going to be harder, around the Savage modes? That's what we know atm, correct?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Still confused about the Alexander modes..NM is going to be easier than Final Coil and HM is going to be harder, around the Savage modes? That's what we know atm, correct?

We don't know how easy Normal mode will be exactly. We know that Yoshi-P said he expects it to be cleared in a day or so, and so it would not be surprising if it was CT-ish level but with only 8 people instead of 24. We also know the loot system is similar to that of Crystal Tower - where you can run it multiple times, but are limited to one piece of loot per week.

He said Savage will be in between normal Coil and Savage difficulty.

BLCKATK

Finally got T13 down. Now for the endless runs to claim my axe, and then I can take a break from raiding and leisurely enjoy the game. Been feeling pretty burnt out so being able to chill a bit till Heavensward is really appealing to me atm.

Croyles

Now this feels better.

mXcyj9l.jpg
Score: 11390
Average Frame Rate: 87.820
Performance: Extremely High
-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.
Loading Times by Scene
Scene #1 2.176 sec
Scene #2 10.102 sec
Scene #3 5.188 sec
Scene #4 5.000 sec
Scene #5 4.727 sec
Scene #6 2.444 sec
Total Loading Time 29.638 sec

I'm going to take a guess and say that the next story stuff in Heavensward is going to require at least ilvl 95-100 to start, since i think the last trial "Steps of Faith" requires ilvl 90 IIRC so it makes sense that they would start there I think.

Valor

He said Savage will be in between normal Coil and Savage difficulty.

Considering that every new segment of coil was a step up from the previous one, wouldn't this just be in line?

I dunno. I'm just looking forward to new stuff to raid. Savage is... interesting? Enjoyable in a weird masochistic way, but it's still pretty shit because second coil. Is it June yet?

Also, I think few people cleared Final Coil because you're always going to have a small percentage of the player base actually raiding in any game that has such a system, you know? Forcing people to run statics also helps to gate the content, which they alleviated significantly with the chest lockout system, which I thought was a great addition. Hopefully there's a larger base of people running end game raiding in Heavensward with the new tiered system.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I have to say with the small amount of people who actually managed to clear final coil I am surprised they would make it harder.

Normal Mode is for the masses and Savage is for the people looking for the real challenge/best gear this time around.

iammeiam

Considering that every new segment of coil was a step up from the previous one, wouldn't this just be in line?

A lot hinges on how you'd define difficulty, I guess. FCoB wound up being really vulnerable to gear ups (see: the mass of clears after welfare twine, then again after Zeta gave everyone welfare i135.) I don't think there's anything in FCoB as mechanically difficult/unforgiving as some of SCoB. If they just mean they're going to up the DPS and healing checks again some more then it continues the normal difficulty trend. If they're going to go back and revisit how important they make mechanics to the fight, though, it'll be different.

I'm kind of hoping for the latter. Not full-on SCoB auto wipe, but something to keep things more interesting long-term. This may just be because I massively outgear content before I get to it, but hey.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I dunno. I'm just looking forward to new stuff to raid. Savage is... interesting? Enjoyable in a weird masochistic way, but it's still pretty shit because second coil. Is it June yet?

Also, I think few people cleared Final Coil because you're always going to have a small percentage of the player base actually raiding in any game that has such a system, you know? Forcing people to run statics also helps to gate the content, which they alleviated significantly with the chest lockout system, which I thought was a great addition. Hopefully there's a larger base of people running end game raiding in Heavensward with the new tiered system.

I don't really think they upped the difficulty between Second and Final Coil. They just changed up a lot of things in the last tier to prevent solo tanking, carrying and the like. Final Coil is more about team effort and situational awareness whereas Second Coil was very structured and phase-focused like Titan Extreme. If anything, I would argue Turn 13 was a lot easier than Turn 9 - granted you had to survive the gear check in the former. The latter is a more technical fight with so many things that can go wrong in the final phase.

Valor

A lot hinges on how you'd define difficulty, I guess. FCoB wound up being really vulnerable to gear ups (see: the mass of clears after welfare twine, then again after Zeta gave everyone welfare i135.) I don't think there's anything in FCoB as mechanically difficult/unforgiving as some of SCoB. If they just mean they're going to up the DPS and healing checks again some more then it continues the normal difficulty trend. If they're going to go back and revisit how important they make mechanics to the fight, though, it'll be different.

I'm kind of hoping for the latter. Not full-on SCoB auto wipe, but something to keep things more interesting long-term. This may just be because I massively outgear content before I get to it, but hey.
The fights in Final Coil aren't as mechanically intensive as Second Coil but I wouldn't say that Second Coil would be more difficult or whatever than Final.

There are ways to do Healer/DPS/Tank checks and they are way way way more effective in Final Coil than they were in First or Second, even for the first time through. I do think part of the perception may be that you were geared/overgeared for the fights the first time you saw them, and that's fine.

The real value there is in raiding is conquering a fight for the first time. To that extent I think Final Coil was immensely more satisfying than Second Coil was. Scy and I have discussed this briefly off and on, but Second Coil requires you to focus too much on mechanics and not enough on fighting the actual boss. Final Coil is, in my opinion, much better designed in this aspect.

Basically, I'd like to see something of a mix between all three of the coils going forward for Alexander. First Coil really nailed exploration and mystique/intrigue. Second Coil had the intensive party mechanics, and Final Coil has the best designed encounters. If you could merge all three aspects into Alexander, it could be very successful.

I don't really think they upped the difficulty between Second and Final Coil. They just changed up a lot of things in the last tier to prevent solo tanking, carrying and the like. Final Coil is more about team effort and situational awareness whereas Second Coil was very structured and phase-focused like Titan Extreme. If anything, I would argue Turn 13 was a lot easier than Turn 9 - granted you had to survive the gear check in the former. The latter is a more technical fight with so many things that can go wrong in the final phase.

It goes back to how you define difficulty. Second Coil, in my opinion, has an artificial difficulty spike to it in the plethora of instant wipe mechanics and tedious phases you needed to learn. You say Turn 9 would be more difficult than 13, but I remember the long days you guys spent in 13 trying to get everything down. The difficulty, I believe, feels lessened in 13 because the player has immensely more agency in the fight in deciding whether you will succeed or fail than in 9. In 9, the random element of the final phase with who gets tethers, where the divebombs will be, who gets thermionic, who gets Naeled with dives, is much more up to chance than 13's more basic mechanics of dropping earthshakers in the right place, grabbing tethers, doing megaflare correctly, tank cooldown rotation of akh morns. Much more of 13 is up to the players to learn mechanics and execute them rather than 8 people performing a dance for 11+ minutes to not get Nael'd.

The more moving parts, the more likely there is that something can go wrong, which gives it the illusion of difficulty. To me, it's the same thing as in a game where the harder difficulty just makes you do less damage and take more damage. Is it more difficult? Sure. Of course. Is it the "right" kind of difficulty? I don't think so. Final Coil is much more where once you know the fight you can clear it with ease. With Second Coil you needed to know the fight but there was always room where error would murder you. Literally. Final Coil is a bit more forgiving of mistakes allowing for recovery where Turn 7 and 8 were utterly unforgiving in that aspect. Is that more difficult? Sure. Is that really what we want more of going forward? I don't personally think so.

Hmm. I may have gone off base with your initial argument into a tangent. I do that sometimes. Basically, I agree the difficulty wasn't significantly upped, but the difficulty that was present was much more in line with what I hope they have going forward.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Is GAF FC pretty active in Ultros? Been thinking of migrating servers. The friend group I started with has pretty much quit and I dont know if they'll come back for the expansion. And even if they did, most of them don't seem very interested in clearing hard content.

iammeiam

The fights in Final Coil aren't as mechanically intensive as Second Coil but I wouldn't say that Second Coil would be more difficult or whatever than Final.

There are ways to do Healer/DPS/Tank checks and they are way way way more effective in Final Coil than they were in First or Second, even for the first time through. I do think part of the perception may be that you were geared/overgeared for the fights the first time you saw them, and that's fine..

I'm glad you approve of my having an opinion, I guess? My point is more I overgeared both SCoB and FCoB by the time I got around to doing them, and FCoB suffered more of the pair for it. Leaning as heavily on healing/DPS/tank checks as it did means the T13 everyone clearing in February or later beat was just flat-out easier than the T13 they faced in November or December. HP was higher, player damage output was higher, margin of error was higher, and since so much of that fight was a tight DPS check and insane healing requirements the impact was predictably huge.

I don't even necessarily prefer everything SCoB did (T8 will always be fantastic and I do think its design is vastly preferable to 12, T7 can always go die), but there's an aspect to the encounter design that I do think made the base fights more difficult in a way that you can't just gear carry through as easily.

One of my biggest issues with second coil (and I only got through it by being carried) is the whole "one individual mistake = raid wipe" bullshit. Like, T13 is (or was before echo. Still is to an extent) incredibly unforgiving from an individual standpoint. You fuck up, you die. But the key thing is that it's only you dying and not you wiping the raid.

Of course individuals dying will still hinder the group a lot, and for a lot of 13 before echo and before everyone was like fully geared one death pretty much meant a delayed wipe, but I guess it felt less bullshit than it does in second coil.

As Scy put it to me before, there's a reason why second coil killed a lot of statics. The tiniest mistake meant wipes and T9 was the epitome of that for me. I never had fun in that fight. Like I felt more useful as a corpse than I was alive, and I think that's poor design. T13 has the nice balance of you needing everyone to be on their game, but you can still recover from someone not being on their game. It encouraged teamwork in a different way than Second Coil.

I hate being rambley like this because I stop making sense about half way through but you get my gist.

second coil = bad
final coil = good
turn 3 = godlike

Its interesting reading all this Coil talk while I'm siting stranded on T5 as my groups die to the second set of divebombs or tornadoes and since I always run healer there's a certain amount of uselessness you feel as you which it all fall apart. My FC has offered to help me on T5 since many of them have cleared it.

However I'm stupid and have full faith and credit in DF.

Croyles

Before we found out it was a mistranslation I think many of us assumed "as hard as savage" didn't mean "as hard as Second Coil Savage" but basically "Heavensward Savage". In that case it would have been like 3 steps up from current FCOB. I think a lot of us thought of it that way. Also, the speculation seemed to take gear progression into account so = "3 steps up even with better gear".

None of this matters though. We might as well just wait until it opens and see for ourselves.

Guess Who

Banned
Its interesting reading all this Coil talk while I'm siting stranded on T5 as my groups die to the second set of divebombs or tornadoes and since I always run healer there's a certain amount of uselessness you feel as you which it all fall apart. My FC has offered to help me on T5 since many of them have cleared it.

However I'm stupid and have full faith and credit in DF.

Despite how old T5 is, it's still almost hopeless to DF. It's not SUPER difficult but it's mechanically complex enough that it requires people who know what the fuck they're doing.

Redx508

Is GAF FC pretty active in Ultros? Been thinking of migrating servers. The friend group I started with has pretty much quit and I dont know if they'll come back for the expansion. And even if they did, most of them don't seem very interested in clearing hard content.

yes we are still active on ultros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom