• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's enough time to get to 50 sure. I went 1-50 in under a month. Gearing takes a lot longer but you don't have to max gear or anything for Heavensward.

yes, I'm at 33 as well....I just want to finish the story.....screw gear grinding, it usually all becomes useless in an expansion and its not worth it with heavensward so close lol

LaneDS

So other than fates and duty roulettes what's the fastest way to level up an alt class.

Low level duty roulette has some really incredible bonus xp so knocking one of those out per day is effective. Dungeons in general, especially the highest level one you can do, are really great xp.

Hmm challenge log. I forgot about that. I too am trying to level up my lv 34 SCH lol. I'm just getting sick of bad tanks. I had a level synced warrior with less hp than I did when I did my roulette this morning. That's just wrong.

Damn, I decided to delete my character and make another one on Ultros(wanted to use the same name) and it won't let me, telling me the server is full... guess I have to wait till later to start again.

Sandfox

yes, I'm at 33 as well....I just want to finish the story.....screw gear grinding, it usually all becomes useless in an expansion and its not worth it with heavensward so close lol
Well you need to get some decently high gear if you want to complete the later main story quests and they stop offering gear for quests after the ilvl 50 gear you get for your job.
Just transfer dude o_o

They charge you a pretty penny to transfer so depending on how much you've invested it might be easier to just make a new character.

Aselith

Damn, I decided to delete my character and make another one on Ultros(wanted to use the same name) and it won't let me, telling me the server is full... guess I have to wait till later to start again.

You can just reroll your appearance later in the game, boss. You even get a free makeover ticket.

How does occlusion culling work in FFXIV?

Hilariously.

This game's client actually forgets objects exist if they are culled. This is why it used to be impossible to attack Odin and hunt mobs in a crowd of players. The client would prioritize showing players and their pets over mobs. When they vanished from sight due to client culling, they literally could not be targeted. Even more hilariously, you couldn't see their attack animations or ground AoE indicators either, which means you would just suddenly die to an invisible attack from an invisible mob. Like everything else in this game, culling is incredibly well designed.

This applies to occlusion culling as well, though instances where it really affects you like this are rare because the open-world mobs are so harmless and their leash distances so short.

dcye

I really don't get tanks who don't wanna MT and consider it "work" in raids like WoD or ST. Off tanks typically have more garbage to do like pick up adds or do other annoying mechanics. MT is the best and most brainless job in every single one of those raids.

I don't understand people.

>implying OT's pick up adds in WoD

barrin87

Is now until Heavensward is enough time for a 33 SCH to catch up?

I would imagine that would be fairy easy to at least beat the game. I've gone from level 1 to 44 on my BLM in about two weeks.

Anyone here very familiar with BLM rotations? I think I'm doing fairly well in terms of managing damage spells and switching between Astral fire and umbral ice. I haven't really been using sleep in dungeons though. Should I be throwing a sleep on all mobs automatically?

dcye

Uppity? This will not do and will be dealt with.

Unrelated but weather has been solved at some point maybe a long time ago?. It seems like it should be possible to combine the algorithm there with Cat Became hungry and come up with a thing that will tell you exactly when, earth time, the next window for a given fish opens. Possible for someone less lazy than I am.

This already exists, except that it uses the crappy skywatcher from CBH. It even does the double windows unlike CBH. Hopefully it integrates the Garlond Database stuff soon as the Skywatcher on Cat is patchy at best with updating.

http://ffxivfisher.appspot.com/

Sora_N

I just got this from someone in BST for PS4. So how much can I technically do in a month?

I will probably sub for a bit as well.

Any tips? I played beta a little bit.

Aselith

I just got this from someone in BST for PS4. So how much can I technically do in a month?

I leveled a Summoner to 50 and Weaver almost to 50 in a month and pretty large amount of the main story. You can do a lot.

Sora_N

I leveled a Summoner to 50 and Weaver almost to 50 in a month and pretty large amount of the main story. You can do a lot.

I work full time, how many hours did you put int for that roughly?

It's not a big issue, if I like it I will sub or if I want to do more, etc I will sub, just curious lol

Grisby

Did a level quest where a kobold ran behind me, and every time you'd beckon him over he'd say, "gotta go fast."

Got a laugh out of me.

grimmiq

Any idea of what job you want to level? Healers and Tanks tend to level a lot faster thanks to faster instance queues.

Sora_N

Any idea of what job you want to level? Healers and Tanks tend to level a lot faster thanks to faster instance queues.

I just took a look, I haven't played MMOs in ages and always get stressed out picking class.

How hard is it to learn how to position for Dragoon or Monk? I'm slightly interested...cuz Dragoon lol.

I'm eyeing Bard tbh, how good/bad are they?

grimmiq

I just took a look, I haven't played MMOs in ages and always get stressed out picking class.

How hard is it to learn how to position for Dragoon or Monk? I'm slightly interested...cuz Dragoon lol.

Dragoon is a lot simpler now, I only just came back to FFXIV and picked it up fairly quickly, they removed most of the positional requirements for attacks/chains. (Been a while but I remember Heavy Thrust needing to be to the side to get the +10% damage, impulse drive needing to be from the front to start chain,etc. Neither of those have any positional requirement now)

BRD still seems very popular, but I got it to 50 ASAP and haven't touched it since.

Zomba13

Playing a DPS your first time through is usually easier as you don't have the pressure of tanking or healing things you've never done before but they sadly have much longer queue times for the dungeons due to there being waaaaaay more DPS classes and players.

MNK and DRG positioning isn't too difficult and it eases you into it as you level up. Main thing is that when dancing around mobs not to end up walking into an AoE attack. Also helps if you have a tank that can hold mobs still.

BRD is pretty good. They don't have to position and can run around when attacking so have the benefits of a mage (distance) and a melee (instant attacks) plus they get support abilities in their songs to decrease enemy resistance or buff MP recovery etc. They also get some of the stylish clothing and I reeeeeeeally hope some of their stuff passes onto Machinist in the expansion like how MNK gear to a point was passed to NIN. I'd say if you want a DPS and are interested in BRD to go for it. That way you get a strong DPS class with some utility and don't really have to worry about positional combos.

I got DRG to 50 on an alt I made for a joke and I didn't really enjoy it, same with MNK. I got MNK pretty high in 1.0 and capped it in 2.0 after finishing the story and just wasn't feeling it. I do like NIN though.

Only use the official forums to post contest entries.

Sora_N

Playing a DPS your first time through is usually easier as you don't have the pressure of tanking or healing things you've never done before but they sadly have much longer queue times for the dungeons due to there being waaaaaay more DPS classes and players.

MNK and DRG positioning isn't too difficult and it eases you into it as you level up. Main thing is that when dancing around mobs not to end up walking into an AoE attack. Also helps if you have a tank that can hold mobs still.

BRD is pretty good. They don't have to position and can run around when attacking so have the benefits of a mage (distance) and a melee (instant attacks) plus they get support abilities in their songs to decrease enemy resistance or buff MP recovery etc. They also get some of the stylish clothing and I reeeeeeeally hope some of their stuff passes onto Machinist in the expansion like how MNK gear to a point was passed to NIN. I'd say if you want a DPS and are interested in BRD to go for it. That way you get a strong DPS class with some utility and don't really have to worry about positional combos.

I got DRG to 50 on an alt I made for a joke and I didn't really enjoy it, same with MNK. I got MNK pretty high in 1.0 and capped it in 2.0 after finishing the story and just wasn't feeling it. I do like NIN though.

Only use the official forums to post contest entries.

That sucks, maybe one day DRG will be better...guess I'm gonna try Bard. The clothing looks so cool! lol

30 mins left, I might get to go through noobland a little before sleeping.

Oh.....got sudden case of the good feels. I went to tag along with best friend to gamestop since we needed to buy a new PS4 micro usb charger. He also got 20$ psn card so that he could buy ps plus. We go home, few hours later he has to leave and asks me to put the funds for him and leaves it close to the tv.

After playing smash bros with GAF I decided to add the funds. He left a note next to the psn card saying that he added the funds to my account while I wasn't paying attention so that I could buy FFXIV since he knows how much im enjoying the trial. Early birthday present from him.....bah wish I saw this sooner to call him before he went to bed!

Well, guess im gonna be part of FFXIV sooner then expected! Ill wait out the trial then buy it.

;w;

Ken

That sucks, maybe one day DRG will be better...guess I'm gonna try Bard. The clothing looks so cool! lol

30 mins left, I might get to go through noobland a little before sleeping.

Don't listen to that guy. DRG is more fun than BRD.

Sora_N

Almost done patching...actually gonna try Conjurer :)

Lol nevermind no game today. Looks like it's downloading a patch from April 2014, I didn't look. So I need a year of updates before I can play...guess I have to wait till I get home from work tomorrow lol.

So after my efforts tonight, it would seem trying to farm t8 in the DF for Dragoon gear is impossible. Everything goes fine until allagan field goes out, then the wipes. Oh well, the full HA gear Dragoon glamour is dead.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So after my efforts tonight, it would seem trying to farm t8 in the DF for Dragoon gear is impossible. Everything goes fine until allagan field goes out, then the wipes. Oh well, the full HA gear Dragoon glamour is dead.

Dead content. It's impossible to motivate anybody to go back. Do something about this SE, your game is all dress-up anyway.

dcye

I'm sick & tired off all the scrub players in this game that ruin almost 90% of the PF groups.

Thats why i got a lovely static! Right DCYE?!

Phoenix is absolutely packed to the rafters with absolutely terribad players. Just trash players everywhere. That thread on reddit had like 1.5% of players having cleared T13. That's a joke.

We should transfer as a group to Gilgamesh or something. As seems bored with the game cause you can't do anything on Phoenix unless you have a competent group, we gotta keep him interested haha. He's our best player.

Tash

Phoenix is absolutely packed to the rafters with absolutely terribad players. Just trash players everywhere. That thread on reddit had like 1.5% of players having cleared T13. That's a joke.

We should transfer as a group to Gilgamesh or something. As seems bored with the game cause you can't do anything on Phoenix unless you have a competent group, we gotta keep him interested haha. He's our best player.

Hey now...

Semper88

Amen, yea we should tbh i got nothing that binds me on Phoenix. PM is pretty much dead anyway and a better server would up the fun for me as well as for As.

Hey now...
Yes.. Its the truth deal with it. The sooner you accept it the better ;)

glaurung

SMN trainer in Gridania Apkallu Falls iirc.

You should have been directed to them around level 30 because they start giving you your job quests once you specialize into SMN from Arcanist.
OK came back to thank you for that hint.

Went back to Gridania, got the quest and now I have a few pieces of the Evoker gear on my Summoner. And I am just a tiny sliver of experience away from level 47. I intend to hit 50 some time next week.

Will I get a full set of Evoker gear from some later quest? I think my robe/coat is still a random quest drop. At least my Elezen elf dude does not look like an escaped gimp any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom