• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

So how hard are the raids for newbies? I have Labyrinth of the Ancients unlocked and was thinking about trying it out this weekend. My BLM is i70 and I'll be upgrading my artifact pants tonight to the soldiery pants.

is the poetic gear even worth it? Poetics seem really hard to come by compared to soldierly but it almost seems like running raids would be faster to get gear that high.
The 24 mans are all pretty easy, the 8mans depend on which raid you are doing. Depending on fight you may want to look a guide or join a learning party.

Poetics is there for two people, those that cannot do high end raids or those that are doing raids but need to supplement gear because of bad rng. When the raids are first released you can only clear each fight once a week, so if drops are bad you can have people with no upgrades.

The two gear, tomes and drops, have different stats that may make one better than another as well if you are trying to min/max (or just hit accuracy caps...)

Aselith

So how hard are the raids for newbies? I have Labyrinth of the Ancients unlocked and was thinking about trying it out this weekend. My BLM is i70 and I'll be upgrading my artifact pants tonight to the soldiery pants.

is the poetic gear even worth it? Poetics seem really hard to come by compared to soldierly but it almost seems like running raids would be faster to get gear that high.

Poetic gear when augmented is better than the stuff that drops in World of Darkness (also it looks cooler!) so without going in to the latter parts of Coil, you won't get better gear in raiding. However, you do have to get the upgrade components in the CT raid so you should realistically be working drops in from the raids while you get your poetics to upgrade where you can. If you can go straight to Coils, more power to you but that's not too common I don't think.

I mean really if you look at stats:

augmented casting robe said:
Vitality +53, Intelligence +50, Critical Hit Rate +47, Spell Speed +33

coil casting robe said:
Vitality +53, Intelligence +50, Critical Hit Rate +47, Spell Speed +33

There is probably some stuiff you want in coils but the stats are on par.

The key to secretly switching your class before entering is to be the party leader. That's how I can sneak in Titan-Egi or DRG with non-upgraded Shiva weapon for things. Then a minute into what we're doing, everybody realizes I am not MNK and yells for me to switch.
"Takato please rez"
"I can't"
"Wait you're not a summoner? fuck"

Do the raids for gear then use soldiery/poetics to patch up spots. World of Darkness gives the best at item level 120. Bahamut stuff gives up to 130-135 I think.

You only need an average item level of 90 I think to get everything ready for Heavensward though, so don't kill yourself trying to get all that gear if you don't really want to.

I'd personally like to do some of the Bahamut stuff just to experience it at some point.

RK9039

I started playing again and I feel so lost, the last time I was on was exactly a year ago.

When Heavensward comes out will it matter much that I don't have really high end gear? I only have 73 item level.

I started playing again and I feel so lost, the last time I was on was exactly a year ago.

When Heavensward comes out will it matter much that I don't have really high end gear? I only have 73 item level.

I imagine there's going to be some form of catch up for folks who are just hitting the expansion proper, however, you need to finish the main scenario in order to even access expac content and you need to be at least item level 90 for some of that content.

So you'll need to gear up in order to finish the main story. Unlock Crystal Tower and run 4 mans for both gear drops and soldiery/poetics tomestones.

If it makes you feel better, this is my fourth week back and I went from item level 83 to 110. For the first two weeks of that, I was only doing dailies and leveling Ninja to get back into the scheme of things, so gearing up isn't too difficult.

RK9039

I imagine there's going to be some form of catch up for folks who are just hitting the expansion proper, however, you need to finish the main scenario in order to even access expac content and you need to be at least item level 90 for some of that content.

So you'll need to gear up in order to finish the main story. Unlock Crystal Tower and run 4 mans for both gear drops and soldiery/poetics tomestones.

If it makes you feel better, this is my fourth week back and I went from item level 83 to 110. For the first two weeks of that, I was only doing dailies and leveling Ninja to get back into the scheme of things, so gearing up isn't too difficult.

Ah, I guess I have to re-learn everything. Are those tomestones still on a weekly cap?

The cap on Poetics is 450 a week.

You can grind out as many Soldiery tomestones as you want, but you can only hold 2k at a time. There's item level 100 armor/accessories that you can buy with those, and then there's are items that drop in the second wing of Crystal Tower that will bump those up to 110. The first wing drops level 80 armor, the second level 100, and the third 120.

Thanks. Time to start doing these duties again.

Wow... so much has changed. No more Darklight gear, I look so stupid right now.

The cap on Poetics is 450 a week.

You can grind out as many Soldiery tomestones as you want, but you can only hold 2k at a time. There's item level 100 armor/accessories that you can buy with those, and then there's are items that drop in the second wing of Crystal Tower that will bump those up to 110. The first wing drops level 80 armor, the second level 100, and the third 120.

BadRNG

PI mean really if you look at stats:

There is probably some stuiff you want in coils but the stats are on par.
You can get the upgrade components in coil too, though obviously it may be easier to get them in CT.

I think you listed the wrong chest for coil, dreadywrm casting is 33acc/47 spell speed, not the same as ironworks. Depending on what your class stat weights is the two aren't really always on par. And I say that as someone who thinks sometimes people obsess a little too much over min/max.

Aselith

It's okay, I have the WoD casting chest, far superior.

Just wait until these Spell Speed changes. Ironworks superior chest confirmed.

I think you listed the wrong chest for coil, dreadywrm casting is 33acc/47 spell speed, not the same as ironworks. Depending on what your class stat weights is the two aren't really always on par. And I say that as someone who thinks sometimes people obsess a little too much over min/max.

Ya copypasta tricked me again!

RPGCrazied

I'm ages away from this, but how do you obtain Kain's Dragoon armor for Dragoons? I'm sure it'll be way out of my reach even when I have that class.

plake

Very well done Kags, Rin, healers et al. Did not know think that was possible. I zoned out but how did you handle the ph 2 adds? Tank and burn or just dps burn?

scy

Just wait until these Spell Speed changes. Ironworks superior chest confirmed.

With existing weights, it's still better anyway. That said, there might be some funny things with Det that means it ends up in favor of the WoD chest but ... I haven't actually put in the time to test the two.

Very well done Kags, Rin, healers et al. Did not know think that was possible. I zoned out but how did you handle the ph 2 adds? Tank and burn or just dps burn?

I picked them up where they spawn and just burn them before I take too much damage. There's a few GCDs before the tether effect kicks in (~5 seconds) and then boss does nothing for a bit more. Just need to get it down before the Flare Breath is queued since an ~8k hit is pretty rough.

Drac

I guess some of you could enjoy this little video presentation of our FC a friend made. We certainly don't pull the numbers of GAF but I still can't believe most of us have been playing this game for more than one year and we are still having fun every week. Goodbye A Realm Reborn, may Heavensward be as entertaining as you are !

I'm understanding the draw of DPS classes now. I was using my SMN(who is INT weakened due to me maining SCH) while running some dungeons with friends and now I fully understand why people play DPS. There's so much less to worry your mind about.

Sora_N

I'm understanding the draw of DPS classes now. I was using my SMN(who is INT weakened due to me maining SCH) while running some dungeons with friends and now I fully understand why people play DPS. There's so much less to worry your mind about.

Thats why I hesitate to try paladin.

Only tanks have heavy armor in this game right?

Working towards Bard anyways..

Also I'm way behind in story now. Couldn't find the level 20 quest to get to Adders Nest or something. I still get lost in this game and I'm lv 29 lol.

I can't stand the 24-30 minute wait times on dungeons as DPS.

I suppose you don't really have to deal with that if you have tank/healer friends to queue up with though.

Hey guys, quick question. If I'm leveling a subclass, should I put attribute points in the stat I use for my main class? Or do they not carry over from class to class?

RK9039

Yeah I feel like trying out a damage class at some point, I have a level 50 Paladin and level 50 Warrior. I've only played the tanks in this game but my gear is so crap (
Darklight
) that I might just give up and play some easy DPS class.

Aselith

Yeah I feel like trying out a damage class at some point, I have a level 50 Paladin and level 50 Warrior. I've only played the tanks in this game but my gear is so crap (
Darklight
) that I might just give up and play some easy DPS class.

It's really easy to geared up by running the daily roulettes soldiery to me stones are 240 per go if you get a firsttimer.

Sora_N

Anyone have weird freezing issues with PS4?

Since yesterday I can't come back from rest mode. My PS4 is frozen.

It must have been the update.

Aselith

Yeah I'm doing those currently, low level duty plus main scenario. Not going to do anything else for now.

Do you have the expert and hardmode roulette opened up? It would be a really good idea to spend some time opening that for the massive poetics from expert and another possible 240 soldiery from hard mode per day if you haven't yet.

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Duty_Roulette

Keeper of the Lake is also awesome so there's that.

EriksBlue

Banned
Red why?!
image.php

Honestly I feel that way toward tanks. Tanking dungeons, coil, Titan/Ramuh/Primals Ex is miles easier than Dpsing it as DRG/SMN/Whatever for me.

On another note got a lot done today. BRD hunt log is officially done with 5 levels left to go. WHM and BLM both from 36-41. Trying to lvl BLM and WHM in tandem cause they share gear so I don't have to keep making different sets and eat up my armory.

Now I just need to get the last 5 levels on my fisherman and I'll be done leveling permanently until the expac. The leves for 45-50 fishing suck however :/

xxczx

Anyone have weird freezing issues with PS4?

Since yesterday I can't come back from rest mode. My PS4 is frozen.

It must have been the update.
don't use rest mode while still logged on, you'll get kicked out soon enough. Don't exit game but instead log off to the character selection screen and you should be okay.

Sometimes I get disconnection issues when I Tele to Limsa immediately after or already am in Limsa. It's a little weird.

is free company and linkshell a different thing? can I join gaf FC? I've seen a couple people with GAF tag on their name.

edit: aah, the game is under maintenance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom