• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Just the nickname for the alt group, I think?

Going in and doing like 10 Ramuhs is one thing. Doing infinity Ramuhs because RNG drop rate and people getting their pony and leaving two runs later to be replaced by somebody else needing a pony is hell.

Light is ... light. I think.

please no infinity Ramuh, though. Can we infinity something funnier at least?

Valor

Just the nickname for the alt group, I think?

Light is ... light. I think.

please no infinity Ramuh, though. Can we infinity something funnier at least?

You could always DF t13. That was funny. In a sad way. A profoundly sad way.

scy

I actually think I'll try to do that at some point.

Depending on who I can convince to go with me. I need a shoulder to cry on.

Well, when you're doing progression there's a little, "learning how to deal," even if your group is overall following a blue-print. With that much echo and overgearing though, there isn't really much learning to deal, as it were. Back when everyone was in i90 and there was no echo, between the DPS checks and mechanics everyone had to work together pretty well to clear it. Now there's no real DPS check, and people can survive most small mistakes, so, yeaaaaah.

Don't worry though, T9 is still very real, and even with echo Final Coil can be pretty darn unforgiving to people that don't know what they're doing.

I've seen a few videos of T9 and it looks pretty crazy. I would like to beat T13 at some point, I suppose with the easier changes now it will be possible with a DF group maybe.

The directional indicator for divebombs in t5 is twintania. She dives in a straight line from her position to the divebomb marker.

Does it appear in the air before the marker does? If so that would make it a lot easier to dodge I think.

I'm actually looking forward to playing through Heavensward where everyone else is relatively new to it. I remember reading about people's experiences with WoD day one and how everyone was trying to figure out the mechanics. I'd like to experience that if possible with Heavensward.

If I'm running a GAF pony farm you stay for the long haul. No get a pony and leave crap otherwise I won't invite you back and you can go deal with pugs. However, I can't make people stay for hours so people do switch out. This is the reality of pony farming. If you want your pony faster then you can always pay GIL for people to pass. Quite a few PFs have sprung up with this premise this week.

iammeiam

I'm not sure DF 13 is a smart place to go for light. DF 9 was amazing back when I was trying to spam it for experience, but it was not a source of light.

I've seen a few videos of T9 and it looks pretty crazy. I would like to beat T13 at some point, I suppose with the easier changes now it will be possible with a DF group maybe.

Ehhh. 13 just has a ton of damage everywhere all the time. It's probably going to end up being more DFable than 9, at least, but right now everything still kind of hurts. PF would be better.

I'm actually looking forward to playing through Heavensward where everyone else is relatively new to it. I remember reading about people's experiences with WoD day one and how everyone was trying to figure out the mechanics. I'd like to experience that if possible with Heavensward.

I'm planning to try to push to 60 as quickly as possible to hopefully get to see the new primals while there's still some mystery to them. Blind Shiva EX was a great experience (WHY IS SHE GETTING STACKS WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?!?), day one WoD was fun. Even blind runs of the new dungeons can be entertaining.

Valor

It is pretty fun to see content for the first time and try to figure out how to get around it without other people getting grouchy because you haven't cleared yet. Running Steps of Faith day one was a nightmare because of this, but it was also entertaining wiping for a while.

If I'm running a GAF pony farm you stay for the long haul. No get a pony and leave crap otherwise I won't invite you back and you can go deal with pugs. However, I can't make people stay for hours so people do switch out. This is the reality of pony farming. If you want your pony faster then you can always pay GIL for people to pass. Quite a few PFs have sprung up with this premise this week.
Can there be a middle ground between "Farm out 20 ponies in a single sitting" and "leaving after you get your pony"? The only way I ever found pony farms not mind-numbingly horrible is when we went as an 8 man group and stayed until each of those 8 had a horse of their own. Speaking of which, I probably still owe Zan and Bara an Ifrit pony. Shit.

scy

It's not about getting a pony faster, it's about having an end point. I'd rather there just be a group trying to get the drops and if someone leaves, just stop until the next time everyone is available. Or, you know, don't sit there and plan to do an infinite number in a row. The six+ hour stretches with the goal of getting 12+ people a drop are just insane.

It is pretty fun to see content for the first time and try to figure out how to get around it without other people getting grouchy because you haven't cleared yet. Running Steps of Faith day one was a nightmare because of this, but it was also entertaining wiping for a while.

Can there be a middle ground between "Farm out 20 ponies in a single sitting" and "leaving after you get your pony"? The only way I ever found pony farms not mind-numbingly horrible is when we went as an 8 man group and stayed until each of those 8 had a horse of their own. Speaking of which, I probably still owe Zan and Bara an Ifrit pony. Shit.

The middle ground usually is if a few people get ponies or it's been like 2 hours, you helped out more than your fair share. Maybe even an hour is fine in my book. If you get a pony I usually expect you to stay for another 3 clears then I don't mind if you move on. Honestly this whole etiquette with pony farms thing is weird to me because of how RNG/luck driven the damn thing was for so long. So I guess in a nutshell, don't be an ass and leave right after getting a pony if it's a farm. And don't join if you're not willing to stay for like an hour.

As for who owes who what for helping get ponies, you all can keep tabs. That part I wash my hands of.

Edit: I see what you are all getting at. So yeah, pony farming has no end in the context of getting everyone ponies. Fewer and fewer people want to farm as more people get theirs, so trying to make a goal of getting everyone every single pony is not happening. Sorry but some of you will have to put in more effort on your own time. Even I have my breaking point on repetitive content for the sake of being nice.

iammeiam

Pretty much what they said. I don't really care about ponies all that much? So it's a way to pass time/rack up some poetics/if I get a pony hey cool. But it's easier to just not go than jump in and risk ending up with a pony and feeling obligated to stay indefinitely because it gets really boring really fast.

scy

Maybe we'll have a farm that isn't "Nobody leaves until we're all done" chanted over and over.

Edit: I see what you are all getting at. So yeah, pony farming has no end in the context of getting everyone ponies. Fewer and fewer people want to farm as more people get theirs, so trying to make a goal of getting everyone every single pony is not happening. Sorry but some of you will have to put in more effort on your own time.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

Pretty much what they said. I don't really care about ponies all that much? So it's a way to pass time/rack up some poetics/if I get a pony hey cool. But it's easier to just not go than jump in and risk ending up with a pony and feeling obligated to stay indefinitely because it gets really boring really fast.

I can't force anyone to stay and I hope people don't feel pressured when I get groups going. Come as much as you want and don't feel obligated, but if you're going to come don't be selfish I guess is the moral of the story?

Also please remember my kindness when 3.1 rolls around...cuz I might revert back to pony madness.

Maybe we'll have a farm that isn't "Nobody leaves until we're all done" chanted over and over.

I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

The goal of getting everyone a pony is impossible because as more people get one the overall population of those with motive to join farms decreases. So having that expectation is unrealistic and expecting people to commit to endless farms for that goal is a fools errand and unfair. Does that make more sense?

Zalasta

Honestly, I've done all of my pony farm by doing DF, because I don't want to feel like I owe people for winning a roll. If you want to talk about being fair, then you have to implement a system that people can agree with. Otherwise it will always be arbitrary and someone will always have it better than another.

scy

The goal of getting everyone a pony is impossible because as more people get one the overall population of those with motive to join farms decreases. So having that expectation is unrealistic and expecting people to commit to endless farms for that goal is a fools errand and unfair. Does that make more sense?

Depends? It gets easier to place goals for groups (e.g., "Get Gryvan his Levi pony") as the numbers dwindle. The motivation bit is true but the end goal part doesn't make any sense. The "endless farm" is less likely as fewer people need them, barring RNG screws (again, "Get Gryvan his Levi pony").

I'm just talking about the groups that were literally about getting everyone to stay until everybody had a pony and were getting extremely irritated as people were being shuffled out. The expectation of farming everything in one sitting sort of situation. This is even why there's this whole "such and such owes someone a pony" thing, really.

I'd just rather do 10-15+ runs with the same group per night until they all got it as opposed to 6-8+ hours and plan to never return (but also need to get 12-15+ drops since nobody stays for 6-8+ hours). The whole burn it all out in one sitting was the unreasonable part of the whole thing.

iammeiam

I can't force anyone to stay and I hope people don't feel pressured when I get groups going. Come as much as you want and don't feel obligated, but if you're going to come don't be selfish I guess is the moral of the story?

It's less any group-imposed obligation and more a personal one. If six other people need a pony, I win one, and I bail three runs later, I'm contributing to sticking those other six people in an infinite loop of their odds never getting better when they probably all want the pony more anyway. If it were a set number of runs, or "we'll do this for an hour or two and then meet again tomorrow", then it'd feel more appealing. Just they never seem to actually end.

Valor

Honestly, I've done all of my pony farm by doing DF, because I don't want to feel like I owe people for winning a roll. If you want to talk about being fair, then you have to implement a system that people can agree with. Otherwise it will always be arbitrary and someone will always have it better than another.

Yeah, the trade off in DF is that it's a mercenary system and you could go many more hours never winning a roll than going in with a few people and have the number of rolls dwindle bit by bit until you assuredly get one.

Mercenary attitude towards a pre-made group is incredibly shitty. "Fuck you, I got mine" may fly when you won't see the other people again, but when people are taking their time to help everyone out and you just bolt after you get yours... well I wouldn't expect another invite anytime soon.

No one has it better than another in a pre-made pony group. It's a fair system by its own merits.

scy

No one has it better than another in a pre-made pony group. It's a fair system by its own merits.

Hm. Depends. If it's an actual group of 8 trying to get them all, that works out. The problem here is it was around ~20+ people in total trying to all do it and lost people as time went by.

It was a pre-made group of mercs.

Zalasta

Well, not if you start having to replace people in the premade because invariably someone who comes in later might get their drop sooner than someone who stayed longer, and that was the issue I was addressing. So unless you use some kind of DKP or attendence system, it won't be fair when there are more than 8 participants. Or you make it clear that one session has no bearing to the other.

Anyway, I just don't like the idea of owing people. Unless we're in a static or I made a personal commitment to you, you get as much time as I am allowed and vice versa.

And I agree DF is not the most efficient way, there's no guaranteed kill & invariably you're always carrying someone (I lost a pony to a mostly premade group that had like 6 new people), but it's a one shot deal so I am not committed to anything more.

Valor

Well, I mean I've already stated that I prefer the 8 man "everyone gets their pony" type group, so that was the type I was referencing. I also don't like the rotating out and getting more people who need it.

That is why I spent six hours doing Leviathan. I don't fancy that for Ramuh. I may end up quitting the game if I went through a session of that.

Grisby

Finally been getting some lvl100 gear. That headdress healer helmet you get from the second part of the crystal tower is hilarious looking.

Been also trying beat the Ultima quest and my pug teams keeps getting wiped. I got killed myself by the titan drop a few times, but good lord is it hard trying to keep everyone alive.
Hmmm...the question is do I care enough to cap 900 poetics...
Is there something that is going to require 900 for the expansion?

I'm trying to get some 120 healer robes/head set from one of the rowena ladies but it's a pain in the ass trying to get them. I just keep running the second part of the crystal tower over and over because it seems like i can get into a match the quickest and still get 15 points.

PVP takes forever a lot of times to try and get a match going.

We have a bard surplus. The bard overflow is straining Eorzea's hat supply. Any wannabe future bards must first find a new job for one of our existing bards. I got to be a bard because Galen became a ninja. That sort of thing. My inability to anything has be firmly entrenched as the once and future bard though so good luck.

I believe you became a dragoon. no take backs

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Gridanian jobs are insanely overpopulated. You don't see people saying "Man, there's way too many summoners!"

#stayawayfromthesummoner

Of course out of all DPS I like dragoon and bard the most myself.
...I'm like the most stereotypical bad.

WolvenOne

I know it's way way early, but as long as I'm thinking about it.

I nominate for the next OT, OT8: Age of Ultros.

Assuming we hit that point before Heavensward hits.

I'm planning to try to push to 60 as quickly as possible to hopefully get to see the new primals while there's still some mystery to them. Blind Shiva EX was a great experience (WHY IS SHE GETTING STACKS WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?!?), day one WoD was fun. Even blind runs of the new dungeons can be entertaining.

I kind of have to make a decision here because I really want to play Dark Knight and Astrologian but those require leveling up, so by the time I got one to 50 there would likely be guides for everything all over the place.

On the other hand if I take one my 50 classes instead at release I can experience things with everyone else but then I'm not playing DRK or AST. Chances are I'll probably try and stick with PLD or WHM then try leveling DRK/AST later once I've gone through the new story/dungeons. There are new skills for all the old jobs so I guess it wouldn't hurt to leave the new jobs for a while.

Well I would hope that we won't see anything like Steps of Faith again, just because it doesn't work well with DF groups in terms of wiping, since you can't reset the fight you have to let it drag out till the end. I'm expecting Heavensward encounters to be a lot better.

One thing I want to know is if there are any quest requirements to be able to create an Au Ra character or to fantasia to one. I think most MMO's just require you to have the new expansion registered to your account to access new races so I suppose that's how things will be done here.

Jayhawk

I know it's way way early, but as long as I'm thinking about it.

I nominate for the next OT, OT8: Age of Ultros.

Assuming we hit that point before Heavensward hits.

You gonna buy the tshirts for everyone?

fig,brown,mens,ffffff.u2.jpg

cap raised to 900? nice. also i just noticed that i haven't stepped into a level 50 dungeon since february and i always manage to hit the weekly cap with pvp.

around 500 matches and still under 90 wins. definately not flying with an ads mount in heavensward, here is last week's rankings

kBO5ME9.png

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

and i wish i could pony farm. but i just don't like particle effects around the hooves.

cap raised to 900? nice. also i just noticed that i haven't stepped into a level 50 dungeon since february and i always manage to hit the weekly cap with pvp.

around 500 matches and still under 90 wins. definately not flying with an ads mount in heavensward, here is last week's rankings

kBO5ME9.png

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

and i wish i could pony farm. but i just don't like particle effects around the hooves.

How long does it take you to get a match and what job do you play as?

Depends? It gets easier to place goals for groups (e.g., "Get Gryvan his Levi pony") as the numbers dwindle. The motivation bit is true but the end goal part doesn't make any sense. The "endless farm" is less likely as fewer people need them, barring RNG screws (again, "Get Gryvan his Levi pony").

I'm just talking about the groups that were literally about getting everyone to stay until everybody had a pony and were getting extremely irritated as people were being shuffled out. The expectation of farming everything in one sitting sort of situation. This is even why there's this whole "such and such owes someone a pony" thing, really.

I'd just rather do 10-15+ runs with the same group per night until they all got it as opposed to 6-8+ hours and plan to never return (but also need to get 12-15+ drops since nobody stays for 6-8+ hours). The whole burn it all out in one sitting was the unreasonable part of the whole thing.

Oh that's where the disconnect was happening. You're taking about 8-person groups with the goal of all 8 get pony. I'm talking about all GAF or the general server population trying to get their ponies.

So yes, if you have an enlisted group of 8 and he goal is everyone gets a pony then doing 1-2 hours a day or every other day makes sense over going possibly for the whole day (unless you are crazy like me).

How long does it take you to get a match and what job do you play as?

job doesn't affect queues but it depends on the time of day and GC. before they added slaughter it was about 10 minutes. now it goes up to 20 but the trick is this: as sooon as you finish a match, leave the instance asap to get aboard the queue train.

WolvenOne

Doing Pony farms nearly every day now. Still only have the Levi Pony I got last October during Korra's original Ponyquest.

I think Yoship gave me loaded dice. :\

Croyles

So I redeemed my 20 digit heavensward digital collectors edition code and the new Griffin mount inst on the list. Is that a separate bonus thing or what is up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom