• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.
job doesn't affect queues but it depends on the time of day and GC. before they added slaughter it was about 10 minutes. now it goes up to 20 but the trick is this: as sooon as you finish a match, leave the instance asap to get aboard the queue train.

I see. I was just wondering if jobs affected the queue. I should try PvP more sometime.

RE_Player

Just got the game and a 60 day card. Made my character on the gaf server and will join one I get to learn some of the basics. Going to be weird playing an MMO like this on PS4.

Ah never mind.

Are there any jobs that good make a good amount of gil?

Well I haven't played in like over a month so not sure about current prices, but weaver, leatherworker, goldsmith and blacksmith were good money iirc, though you need to be able to do high level crafting on some of these. Weaver you'd make artisan/forager gear for pretty good money as well as some glamour stuff, leatherworker same thing plus desynthing for FC3s(though technically this isn't crafting), goldsmith making some of the 4star jewelry, crafting/gathering jewelry and maybe some desynthing stuff I forgot, blacksmith was artisan offhands and desynthing though you could also sell the "new" i110 crafted weapons for some money kinda but by now it's probably a dead market.

At this point in the game though, just before the expansion, I'm not sure if there's a good way to make a lot of money like there was when the previous patches were released. Markets are probably saturated and stuff, but maybe with people returning to the game before the expansion there might be some money to be made. You kinda can check for yourself though, just spend an hour checking stuff out on the market board, compare material prices and product prices and then how often the items sale by checking the history. Oh and obviously, check whatever you can make without too much of an investment. If you're like not even capped in all crafting classes, the time it'd take to cap everything then gear up to do 4star crafting would probably not be worth it and you'd want to look at 1-2star stuff, maybe 3.

Personally I'd say it's probably better to just spiritbind stuff. There's very little investment and you get your money back quickly.

Qvoth

griphin mount is for CE right?
because i ordered from greenmangaming and i only have early access, baron stuffs and chocobo chick minion

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is it better if I form a learning party of Labyrinth of the Ancients in the Party Finder or queue myself in the Duty Finder?
DF it, you'll probably wait forever if you try PF. Read a guide so you have an idea of what to expect and just say you're new at the start so the rest of the party knows.

griphin mount is for CE right?
because i ordered from greenmangaming and i only have early access, baron stuffs and chocobo chick minion
It is.

Griffin mount, Cecil helmet, Kain minion are the CE items while the Baron accessories and the chocobo minion are the Early Access items.

What about for Syrcus Tower and The World of Darkness?
Same thing. I'd still recommend reading a guide though or watching a video just to know what to expect.

Semper88

Wtb a new pally for our static, anyone on phoenix interested? Or on other servers that don't mind moving over :) (Pre echo t13 clear group)

Also that poetics cap raise is sweet, now i have something to do :p

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I never really noticed but
E3xVzgh.jpg

What is this, PLAY STATION?

So I redeemed my 20 digit heavensward digital collectors edition code and the new Griffin mount inst on the list. Is that a separate bonus thing or what is up with that?

The codes we have now are pre-order codes. If it's the same as 1.0 and Realm Reborn, the CE bonus would come with a separate code we'd be given on launch day.

So what are the chance that Machinist shares gear with BRD and NIN? thinking of buying the BRD ironworks shit for that purpose. Its either that or get the SMN book

Frumix

Suffering From Success
So what are the chance that Machinist shares gear with BRD and NIN? thinking of buying the BRD ironworks shit for that purpose. Its either that or get the SMN book

Pre-3.0 gear will be shared - you can see MCN in High Allagan of Aiming in the benchmark. After that idk, probably.

Anyone that preordered from Amazon received their early access codes yet?

Their page makes it seem as if they won't be sending codes out until June 19. If that's the case then I'm better off ordering from GMG or S-E directly.

aceface

Anyone that preordered from Amazon received their early access codes yet?

Their page makes it seem as if they won't be sending codes out until June 19. If that's the case then I'm better off ordering from GMG or S-E directly.

There is some conflicting information out there but I don't think you can get early access by pre-ordering with amazon.

Edit: It looks like that might have changed though? I don't know, I went with GMG just to be safe. Already got the early access code from them and redeemed it.

RK9039

Well I haven't played in like over a month so not sure about current prices, but weaver, leatherworker, goldsmith and blacksmith were good money iirc, though you need to be able to do high level crafting on some of these. Weaver you'd make artisan/forager gear for pretty good money as well as some glamour stuff, leatherworker same thing plus desynthing for FC3s(though technically this isn't crafting), goldsmith making some of the 4star jewelry, crafting/gathering jewelry and maybe some desynthing stuff I forgot, blacksmith was artisan offhands and desynthing though you could also sell the "new" i110 crafted weapons for some money kinda but by now it's probably a dead market.

At this point in the game though, just before the expansion, I'm not sure if there's a good way to make a lot of money like there was when the previous patches were released. Markets are probably saturated and stuff, but maybe with people returning to the game before the expansion there might be some money to be made. You kinda can check for yourself though, just spend an hour checking stuff out on the market board, compare material prices and product prices and then how often the items sale by checking the history. Oh and obviously, check whatever you can make without too much of an investment. If you're like not even capped in all crafting classes, the time it'd take to cap everything then gear up to do 4star crafting would probably not be worth it and you'd want to look at 1-2star stuff, maybe 3.

Personally I'd say it's probably better to just spiritbind stuff. There's very little investment and you get your money back quickly.

Thanks for this.

I think I'll just casually level up some of those jobs when I'm not doing the dungeon duties.

There is some conflicting information out there but I don't think you can get early access by pre-ordering with amazon.

Edit: It looks like that might have changed though? I don't know, I went with GMG just to be safe. Already got the early access code from them and redeemed it.

Yup, already cancelled and went with GMG. Got the early access code instantly and now I'm all set.

Tiops

I'm finding SMN more fun to play than BRD... It's great how you have to think of strategies how to optimize your dps in different fights. With BRD you just have to know when to pop your CDs, but with SMN you have to think of optimal ways to use Bane, manage your pet and use your Aetherflow stacks. I'm not on high level stuff yet (currently at level 40), but if it's more dynamic on low level stuff, high level must also be fun.

And Fester is a beautiful thing.

Only downside is when the tank asks you to stop Baneing because he can't keep aggro on the groups :(

Mandelbo

First time posting here - I'm having problems with the 14 day free trial. Last year I signed up for the beta but I didn't give it much of a chance, and I kinda wanted to try it out again with the trial. However, when I tried to sign into my Squeenix account on the trial, it said that I wasn't eligible for it because I'd already registered a "Final Fantasy XIV service account."

I'm assuming that this is because I took part in the beta, but is there anything I can do about this? Am I able to just make a new account and use that instead?

On PS4, btw.

xxczx

First time posting here - I'm having problems with the 14 day free trial. Last year I signed up for the beta but I didn't give it much of a chance, and I kinda wanted to try it out again with the trial. However, when I tried to sign into my Squeenix account on the trial, it said that I wasn't eligible for it because I'd already registered a "Final Fantasy XIV service account."

I'm assuming that this is because I took part in the beta, but is there anything I can do about this? Am I able to just make a new account and use that instead?

On PS4, btw.
Unfortunately, without making a new PSN account you wont be able to easily get the 14-dat trial again.

If you feel like it though, you can just add one PSN account to your PS4 and then make a new SE account. If you decide to keep playing, you'll need to log on to that account each time.

If you can find a cheap PS4 copy of FFXIV, it gives you 30 days included

Sora_N

Got to 30 Archer yesterday. Grinding through Pugilist now but not a fan at all...until I got Haymaker. The animation is really cool lol.

I probably won't play that class anyways though.

creid

Unfortunately, without making a new PSN account you wont be able to easily get the 14-dat trial again.

If you feel like it though, you can just add one PSN account to your PS4 and then make a new SE account. If you decide to keep playing, you'll need to log on to that account each time.
I would be really careful doing this. You would need to use this 2nd PSN account to play the game forever, since you can never unlink a PSN account from a SE account.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
20ish runs of Turn 10, still haven't seen the INT ring.
This is crazy - doing this every day after work with 30-60 minute downtime between turns because of the DF queues is one thing, but I can only imagine what people farming it during lockouts must have felt.

Stuart444

Yeah, I'd recommend just finding a cheap PS4 copy and using the 30 days as a trial. If you don't like it, just cancel before it is due to take your money.

Mandelbo

Aw, that kinda sucks...

I'm assuming, since I downloaded the trial off the UK store, that it wouldn't work on my US account?

I would be really careful doing this. You would need to use this 2nd PSN account to play the game forever, since you can never unlink a PSN account from a SE account.

What if I used a secondary account for the trial and moved back to my primary account if I choose to subscribe? Can there not be two Squeenix accounts on one console?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Aw, that kinda sucks...

I'm assuming, since I downloaded the trial off the UK store, that it wouldn't work on my US account?

What if I used a secondary account for the trial and moved back to my primary account if I choose to subscribe? Can there not be two Squeenix accounts on one console?
Game account is linked with your PSN account and the region of the game/account must match.

LtOrange

I suck at this game. I'm playing what I assume is a mechanically simple class(BLM) and still seem to struggle. I constantly have to be told when to LB, I can't get a handle on when to AOE, and I'm somehow confused by the rotations. I'm nearing the end of the story content and way overdue for these questions...GAF can you help?

1. Rotations- What are the basic rotations I should be using for AOE, Single Target, and Bosses.
2. When do I AOE? Up to this point I have used AOE spells when the tank pulls 4 or more enemies.
3. When do I use my LB? I'm always too scared to use this precious resource and wait for my party to yell, "Mage LB!!"
4. Movement- How the hell do you do any kind of DPS in movement heavy fights? I did Keeper of the Lake last night and felt so useless.

I appreciate any feedback I can get. I really want to get better and stop feeling like I am weighing my party down.

RPGCrazied

So, I get the PS4 version, and like awesome, going to play. I install it, link PSN to SE, and now its "preparing first-time setup", I don't know if its downloading or installing more. Ugh.

Tiops

I suck at this game. I'm playing what I assume is a mechanically simple class(BLM) and still seem to struggle. I constantly have to be told when to LB, I can't get a handle on when to AOE, and I'm somehow confused by the rotations. I'm nearing the end of the story content and way overdue for these questions...GAF can you help?

1. Rotations- What are the basic rotations I should be using for AOE, Single Target, and Bosses.
2. When do I AOE? Up to this point I have used AOE spells when the tank pulls 4 or more enemies.
3. When do I use my LB? I'm always too scared to use this precious resource and wait for my party to yell, "Mage LB!!"
4. Movement- How the hell do you do any kind of DPS in movement heavy fights? I did Keeper of the Lake last night and felt so useless.

I appreciate any feedback I can get. I really want to get better and stop feeling like I am weighing my party down.

1. Blm is pretty simple: Thunder II, Fire 3, Fire until you're at low MP, Blizzard 3, reaply Thunder, Fire 3, Fire, Fire, Fire... Of course, use Fire 3/Thunder 3 when you get Firestarter/Thundercloud. On AOEs, change Fire to Fire 2. Use Flare when you have Swiftcast and Convert up on single targets. On multiple targets you should use more Flare with the help of Transpose after it for MP.

2. Usually for 4 or more targets.

3. It depends. Some fights may require an LB to kill adds or push phases faster, but on normal dungeons you can just use when it's up.

4. Knowing the fight, you should try to position yourself in a way that reduce the movement need. You can also move when your cast bar is almost full and it won't interrupt your cast. And the most important: Try to master the use of Aetherial Manipulation. It's awesome.

Omnicent

BLM bible

Has a lot of good tips and rotation information (and other things). Not sure what's outdated (if anything), but it's at least a good starter

Valor

There are some real good BLM on here that can help with rotations, but I can help with a few basics.

AoE when there are three or more enemies. You wanna LB mostly when there are a ton of adds. Typically on a boss you'll want a melee LB unless your dps spread has only casters and bards. Bard LB is a healer one, so in that case you want the mage to do it. It's not super important.

Movement is a trick in and of itself. Finding time to turret or saving your Firestarter/Thundercloud procs for movement is not a terrible idea (I think) or dropping scathe if you really need it. You can start moving near the very end of your casts, so you can slowly shift your position each cast when you start practicing it. Moving small chunks instead of big chunks can be done. Knowing the fight and where you can stand/shouldn't stand also helps you limit your running around. Experience is a factor, I guess.

iammeiam

Uh, so the first time setup finishes and now I have to download 6.1gb in updates, couldn't they fit that on the disc?

It's an MMO; this is pretty normal. New content gets added all the time and requires substantially sized patches. They don't remaster, recall, and rerelease the base game disc every patch, so you're now downloading all the stuff we've downloaded one piece at a time over the past year. You're getting dungeons and raids and stuff that didn't exist when the game first came out.

Amon's Hat is somewhere in that 6.1 GB.

scy

I was going to type out a bunch of stuff but then I remembered Makoto's post on the subject. If you have any questions on that, feel free to ask though.

3+ is usually the number for AoE. If there's any reason to not to AoE at those target numbers, it's usually due to some mechanic or reason to quickly burn one thing down instead of burning everything down. Generally, just assume at 3+ that you'll be safe to AoE unless there's a specific reason to not do it based on the fight.

If there's a melee, never basically? Some people like to LB the last huge pull in dungeons but that's a case-by-case basis.

If there's no melee, just use it at some point. Even if you do use it though, you'll still have someone going LBBBBBBBB while the animation plays out so I wouldn't worry about that.

This comes down entirely to just knowing fights well enough to either predict when you need to move or just knowing when you can shield through it. If you'll be moving for >1.5s or so, Scathe is worth it. Besides that, knowing when to hold Swiftcast or Firestarter / Thundercloud for movement.

The other thing is you can move at the end of your cast but before it goes off (~75-80% of the bar). This way you can, say, know you need to be in a certain spot in 10 seconds and can just slowly shuffle your way over without losing any casting uptime.

Stuart444

Redeemed my PC early access code now. :D now just to wait for next month to come along.

But first, live letter next week which should show us some more content that we'll be getting with Heavensward. :D

I think most of this has been answered via links or comments but regarding 4:
- Aetherial Manipulation
This is really good and the game does it a big disservice by giving it to you at THM50 without any fanfare. Spend time practising with it and put it on your main hotbar if you're using a controller. It will make your life a lot easier, but it does take some getting used to. The downside is that you have to trust your party members to do the moving for you and get a feel for how they react to mechanics.

Example: In Keeper of the Lake, if you're caught out by Outer Turmoil/Inner Turmoil, you can target another party member while you're casting a spell and AM to them as soon as your cast completes. Obviously, you'll need to be aware of the timing of Turmoil to make sure you don't get hit anyway. (Tip: I keep the boss's head on focus target so I can see his cast bars.)

One other benefit is that you can use it to defy certain movement effects, such as the slippery ice effect in Shiva (using AM at this time doesn't make you slide to the edge of the arena) and the boat tilts in Leviathan.

- Manaward/Manawall
Learn which attacks are magical and which are physical, then eat them without having to move or interrupt a cast. Unfortunately, the only way to learn which is which is to use a parser that tracks damage types or to learn with your body. Eventually you get a feel for it.

Bear in mind that Manaward and Manawall work differently. Manawall negates two physical attacks, and if I recall correctly, Manaward is a barrier equal to 30% of your HP (so it gets better the higher your gear level is). As a result, it's a bit harder to show off with Manaward than it with Manawall, but it does take of some of the pressure of moving. For example, you could take a moderate magical hit and only lose a small amount of HP, no big deal. In the case of Manawall, you can use it to eat the first hit and then have the second barrier held in reserve to cover your ass on the way out. Or you could just use it to take both hits from something intentionally. It's quite versatile.

Assorted, random examples:
With Manawall, you can block Titan's landslides, Cerberus's dive attack and tail swipe, Kaliya's frontal attacks in T11, a variety of divebombs.

With Manaward, you can block or reduce damage from the first couple hits of the AK HM first boss's death ray, explosions from rock bombs in Titan, Weight of the Land (just be careful if they're stacked).

There isn't really a good rule of thumb aside from that stuff like lasers and flaming death breath tends to be magic and stuff that's plausibly done with some kind of weapon, claws, etc tends to be physical. There's no shame in learning by trial and error. I happily died to the first boss in AK HM while prancing around in my FCOB gear because I wanted to see how much of his death ray I could block.

Edit: If all else fails, get a Ninja to use Perfect Dodge and find out for you, then make a note or /sit on the body as appropriate.

Edit 2: Here's an old video from Shiva Extreme I uploaded a while back where you can see AM/Manawall/Manaward being used. Please note that I am not pro.

Kenai

To all the people getting their Heavensward codes, where did you preorder? I got the GMG CE deal when it was like $45 and never got a code sent to me that I am aware of. It says I have it purchased but that link on their site just sends me to what i assume is where the main expansion patch DL will be.

Thanks for this.

I think I'll just casually level up some of those jobs when I'm not doing the dungeon duties.

While I definitely agree that BSing is overall the best way to make money if you don't feel like investing in crafting, I also strongly recommend getting all of your crafting classes to 50. It makes HQing stuff to SB way easier, and HQ stuff SBs 20%? faster than NQ (and even faster with any materia attached, even cheap grade 1s)

scy

To all the people getting their Heavensward codes, where did you preorder? I got the GMG CE deal when it was like $45 and never got a code sent to me that I am aware of. It says I have it purchased but that link on their site just sends me to what i assume is where the main expansion patch DL will be.

GMG for me and I got the code in the download instructions e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom