• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora_N

Thinking about trying Arcanist, not sure if I will do Summoner or Scholar.

How much do I need to worry about the pet if I do Scholar?

Aselith

'Good' I guess? Lol

Well then. Leaving your pet on Auto is like casting all of your abilities as they come off cooldown with no regard for the actual needs of the moment. I mean the pets are slightly better than that but no by a lot. If you really want to maximize their effectiveness, you'll want to control them. I think this is slightly less important with the buffing pet than the healing pet.

It is extremely important with Garuda if you play Summoner as maximizing dots is all about using contagion well.

BadRNG

You can put the pet skills on your normal bars and just use them like you would a normal spell. The micromanaging aspect is pretty lax, though some fights benefit from specific positioning of the pet.

Croyles

Is there any way to hide the HUD during the benchmark?

Alternatively, is there any where I can download a high quality benchmark trailer with the HUD off?

BadRNG

If the youtube version isn't high enough quality don't know where you'd find better. Maybe try contacting SE directly? Depending on what you want to use it for they might be willing.

As far as I can tell you can't hide the HUD in the benchmark. None of the normal keys work and I glanced through the .ini and couldn't find anything, maybe you could.

Sora_N

Well then. Leaving your pet on Auto is like casting all of your abilities as they come off cooldown with no regard for the actual needs of the moment. I mean the pets are slightly better than that but no by a lot. If you really want to maximize their effectiveness, you'll want to control them. I think this is slightly less important with the buffing pet than the healing pet.

It is extremely important with Garuda if you play Summoner as maximizing dots is all about using contagion well.

Thanks, I'm going to take that into consideration first if I decide to stick with the class.

You can put the pet skills on your normal bars and just use them like you would a normal spell. The micromanaging aspect is pretty lax, though some fights benefit from specific positioning of the pet.

That's good to know.

chrono01

Apparently the Early Access codes [for Heavensward] are valid now! I was waiting for that promised email from Square-Enix, informing me when the codes became active, but it never came. I just tried entering them on Mog Station, just seeing if they would be accepted, and they finally did!

So just a little information for those of you with the Early Access codes and haven't entered them yet.

Croyles

If the youtube version isn't high enough quality don't know where you'd find better. Maybe try contacting SE directly? Depending on what you want to use it for they might be willing.

As far as I can tell you can't hide the HUD in the benchmark. None of the normal keys work and I glanced through the .ini and couldn't find anything, maybe you could.

Alright thanks.

BadRNG

Apparently the Early Access codes [for Heavensward] are valid now! I was waiting for that promised email from Square-Enix, informing me when the codes became active, but it never came. I just tried entering them on Mog Station, just seeing if they would be accepted, and they finally did!
They did a news update instead of an e-mail, you can see it in the game launcher or on the lodestone.

welcome back

chrono01

They did a news update instead of an e-mail, you can see it in the game launcher or on the lodestone.

welcome back
Well that explains it! I haven't opened the game launcher in a few days, so I missed it entirely.

And thanks, great to be back.

Cool, its code entering time!
Indeed, such excitement!

But then begins the wait until the Early Access. It's going to be a long three+ weeks. :/

Teknoman

Well that explains it! I haven't opened the game launcher in a few days, so I missed it entirely.

And thanks, great to be back.

Indeed, such excitement!

But then begins the wait until the Early Access. It's going to be a long three+ weeks. :/

It just hit me that we're right around the corner from it. So the Dark Knight Cecil helm code comes with the actual CE box?

Still waiting for the EU PS4 version to show up on PSN...

To preorder digital?

chrono01

It just hit me that we're right around the corner from it. So the Dark Knight Cecil helm code comes with the actual CE box?
Yeah, it's part of the CE itself [not a pre-order bonus], so you'll get it along with the game.

You should get the Baron Circlet/Earrings, as well as the Chocobo Chick Courier minion, during the Early Access, though.

_woLf

Is Best Buy ever going to give the preorder codes..? Seems weird that they still don't seem to know anything about them. :(

Teknoman

Yeah. Just to be sure that I'll have access to the headstart.

I thought that was up long before the CE physical preorders went live?

Yeah, it's part of the CE itself [not a pre-order bonus], so you'll get it along with the game.

You should get the Baron Circlet/Earrings, as well as the Chocobo Chick Courier minion, during the Early Access, though.

Yup thats what I got.

Stuart444

The console version? I don't see it anywhere on the EU/US/JP store...

Yeah, not up at least on the EU side. SO is waiting til the digital CE is up but according to the news update (about the early access codes being enter-able now), it says they are still working with Sony on it:

Users who have pre-ordered the physical PlayStation®4 version

We are currently working with Sony Computer Entertainment Europe to finalise the set up process and will make a follow-up announcement when Early Access codes can be redeemed on the PlayStation Network and when the digital versions will be available via PSN.

Lodestone link

I think it says something similar on the NA one, not checked the JP lodestone so idk about them.

Sometime I get so in love with my Scholar for long periods of time that I forget how good the heals on White Mages really are.

Was running Keeper of the Lake on my White Mage who I haven't touched in about a month and used a free Cure II and got a critical heal for around 5k and that's when I remembered why I started off as White Mage in the first place.

Tiops

So, do SMN still have MP issues on long fights? Because I'm really, really enjoying the class at the moment and will probably continue to use it on Heavensward.

I'm enjoying the fact of how you have to plan your attacks to be effective, like preparing DoTs on the boss to bane stuff as soon as the adds spawn or using your pet skills correctly.

And a question regarding auto-attacks: I always try to stay close to the enemies and auto-attack them, but I noticed that when I'm spamming Ruin, the character almost doesn't do it. Only when I'm using instant casting abilities that I regularly auto-attack, and it probably isn't work to delay the Ruins for a few more booksmacks. That's how it works, right? I should just stay close with auto-attack activated and not worry with my casts.

Yes you'll sometimes autoattack between spells but it's fairly rare and is mostly due to lag, but it's good to be in range for when you're casting instants or are forced to move. Shouldn't put yourself at unnecessary risk either though, it's not like it's huge amounts of damage and a dead summoner does less damage than one that stays at range, but if you can get away with it it doesn't hurt.

As for mp issues, not sure, I think it was fine after the buff? With Echo and stuff nowadays I doubt it matters nearly as much(and it only really mattered in final coil I believe), and the expansion is sure to bring many reworks to a lot of stuff so it's pointless to try to guess the state of the classes then.

scy

So, do SMN still have MP issues on long fights? Because I'm really, really enjoying the class at the moment and will probably continue to use it on Heavensward.

If you use Ruin 1, you'll usually be fine for most fights; Ruin 2 use is where it starts cutting into your MP fairly heavily but you do gain ~15-20 DPS, depending on weapon, due to the auto-attacks added with Ruin 2.

But, yes, there are still fights where I run fairly low but it's all because of purposefully aiming for close-to-0 MP at the end of a fight. Ruin 2 over Ruin 1 where it'll increase damage / for use of oGCDs without loss of cast time, maximum DoT uptime on adds, etc. sort of things.

Rflagg

Reading white mage guides have me all stressed out, I was planning on going white mage, but the guides are really starting to scare me. I am enjoying the game and in general I enjoy healing, but I am really starting to wonder if there is such a thing as a casual healer. :(

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Reading white mage guides have me all stressed out, I was planning on going white mage, but the guides are really starting to scare me. I am enjoying the game and in general I enjoy healing, but I am really starting to wonder if there is such a thing as a casual healer. :(

White mage is the easiest job in the game.

...Okay maybe second to paladin, I've never played PLD at 50.

Tiops

Every job demands high effort on end game content, don't worry about it. Of course, the healers get more attention, but being a good DPS is also demanding.

Starting to have regrets about spending £130 on a daft dragon statue.

I feel ya. I stopped buying collectors editions last gen because the amount of value they actually have is nil to me.

I'm still waiting for them to put up a digital version of the expansion on PSN. Its literally taking forever.

Play SCH in dungeons. You're basically a third DPS while Eos heals. Scholar is more complex to play than White Mage IMO.

Grisby

I've been a fifty WHM for a little bit and I'm having a good time. I wouldn't say I'm the best at the position but the people under me aren't dying left and right unless they're running into attacks. I'd say I'm more of a casual healer. Having more fun being a healer here than in WoW.

I'd probably be a bit better if a Scholar wasn't too busy stealing my demon belt of healing in WOD this morning! Confound it all.

What you are reading is most likely stuff suited to end game raiding. You really really dont have to worry about that

Raide

Well, got to lvl 11 on my Conjurer. Sometimes learning the map and where you need to go is really frustrating. Spent ages running in and out of the same zone, trying to follow green ticks etc. Not sure I like having the area split into section but I guess its a tech limitation.

Might try another class son, just to see what they are like but I wanted to level my Conjurer so I can head towards healer at some point.

BadRNG

Every job has a giant overly complicated guide somewhere, but they are all pretty straightforward once you get used to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom