• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRNG

I am just going with past FF lore with why they cannot share gear. Paladin armor is more majestic and light colored where dark knight is sinister and menacing. Just look at the transformation of dark knight to paladin in ff4. It would be funny in this game if paladins and dark knights looked the same.
Aesthetic themes for jobs really only matter in this game for the AF gear that is unique to every job. Otherwise anyone who shares type of gear ends up looking the same, as the design themes are based on where the gear is from. Tank/healer/caster all look the same at endgame because of this. Even the ones that have different gear can end up looking pretty similar, like the MNK/NIN final coil outfits.

This saves a ton of development time so I am not expecting any big changes on this front.

Latency influence is real.
Tried using DRG on an NA server and immediately gained up to 30 DPS on average on a dummy.
Well, shit.
How? Unless you are spamming oGCDs on top of each other it doesn't seem like latency would be that big of a deal for DRG. Slow GCD speeds give you plenty of time.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
How? Unless you are spamming oGCDs on top of each other it doesn't seem like latency would be that big of a deal for DRG. Slow GCD speeds give you plenty of time.

It's not just me. People reported similar tendencies. I just assume it's miniscule delays that eventually add up.
At 250+ you can't use oGCDs at all while being sure they won't delay your GCD moves.
At close to 200 I still had issues.
At 130 I can more or less comfortably use up to 2 oGCDs and never clip anything. I definitely don't have combos awkwardly falling off for no reason.
I'm telling you this game has some weird ass netcode.

Scrawnton

Aesthetic themes for jobs really only matter in this game for the AF gear that is unique to every job. Otherwise anyone who shares type of gear ends up looking the same, as the design themes are based on where the gear is from. Tank/healer/caster all look the same at endgame because of this. Even the ones that have different gear can end up looking pretty similar, like the MNK/NIN final coil outfits.

This saves a ton of development time so I am not expecting any big changes on this front.

oh okay, that all makes sense. Now, I kind of wish I didnt make a character on my friends legacy server (hyperion) and made a character on a neogaf server. My friend ended up quitting.

Scrawnton

You can transfer from legacy servers these days if you're not feeling Hyperion.

oh really? thats pretty cool. I will have to look into that. I havent been following the game very closely the last six months because I was in my last semester of grad school and it was brutal. But I am looking forward to jumping back into the mix.

Semper88

It's not just me. People reported similar tendencies. I just assume it's miniscule delays that eventually add up.
At 250+ you can't use oGCDs at all while being sure they won't delay your GCD moves.
At 130 I can more or less comfortably use up to 2 oGCDs and never clip anything. I definitely don't have combos awkwardly falling off for no reason.
I'm telling you this game has some weird ass netcode.

When you speak about netcode i get flash backs from Battlefield 4 multiplayer haha. I guess thats how it is now but in mmo style. Hence the fubar pvp in this game. Target out of range, target out of range!! Fuaaarkk im walking inside the hitbox.

IvorB

okay, that sounds good. I will return to grinding out some gear with my paladin and ignoring the relic quest.

I think it may be too late for the relic quest now if you are just starting out. May as well wait for the new one.

I wish they would announce the fate of these current relics soon.

Scrawnton

I think it may be too late for the relic quest now if you are just starting out. May as well wait for the new one.

I wish they would announce the fate of these current relics soon.

I am currently on the part where I grind treasure maps, alexandrite, and materia. I just started that one but I decided to say "eff this quest and its endless grind"

scy

This makes zero sense unless you're hitting the oGCD at the end of your cooldown. Even assuming worst case scenarios, you're looking at losing .5-.75s before you hit the oGCD which still leaves over a second for the animation lock to play out. Any input after this would be covered by the skill queue.

Bard is probably the worst offender due to latency(+player delay) since Bloodletter procs but you can mash buttons through every other skill queue. Unless you're just waiting for the end of your GCD before inputting anything, most latency can be buffered through.

Packet loss (and the routing issues), however, is a different matter and that's why WTFast is a big deal, not just strictly for the latency reduction.

Combos just falling off means whole seconds going by without input. Why are you trying to do 2 oGCDs anyway?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Combos just falling off means whole seconds going by without input. Why are you trying to do 2 oGCDs anyway?

I presume it takes too long for the server to tell my client back that "this part of the combo is now up" and then if I press it anyway sometimes it counts sometimes it doesn't. And then there's situations where Dragonfire Dive animation goes off 3 times before the actual skill does.

2 OGCDs are for the opener.
Heavy -> IR+Leg Sweep -> Impulse -> [Pot] -> D -> Power+B4B -> Chaos -> Jump -> Phleb -> DFD -> True -> Spine -> Vorpal -> Surge -> Full

scy

I presume it takes too long for the server to tell my client back that "this part of the combo is now up" and then if I press it anyway sometimes it counts sometimes it doesn't. And then there's situations where Dragonfire Dive animation goes off 3 times before the actual skill does.

I mean, I get that occasionally with ~60ms. It's not a latency problem but the same sort of server issues even NA has at times. Like, this is why most of us in NA use WTFast. Not to reduce latency outright but to route around the problem node outside Montreal that causes for weird dropped skills and packet loss issues.

2 OGCDs are for the opener.

Oh right, forgot about the opener. Was just thinking of always trying to stuff two oGCDs. welp.

All this said, I'm not saying latency can't / won't matter but most of these problems don't sound like latency related issues.

Edit: Actually, on that note, are you PC? Is this with WTFast already? If so, RIP sorry that everything is shit. I'm a little surprised then that the NA servers work out better too all things considered.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Edit: Actually, on that note, are you PC? Is this with WTFast already? If so, RIP sorry that everything is shit. I'm a little surprised then that the NA servers work out better too all things considered.
WTFast does help a bunch. I never actually played without it in Coil on JP servers.
Somehow I do get better routing to Montreal than to Tokyo. Gonna be hard without the superior DF experience.

WolvenOne

I can confirm that latency does seem to affect DPS, even if it's not insane latency. I have noticed decreases in DPS with a mere 30ms additional latency.

Nothing crazy mind, but it does affect things.

Stuart444

Yay, level 29 1/2 on my Lancer. Almost time to start the Dragoon class quest. Is it hard?

Only quest I can remember finding a little difficulty with in the DRG quest line was the last one (I think?) where we had to face someone and it ended up in me running in a circle using piercing talon + Jumps (preferably when second wind is up for a quick heal afterwards).

Might be misremembering some of that but I think that's roughly how it went for me. Rest of the quest line besides that wasn't too difficult iirc.

Zhao_Yun

Only quest I can remember finding a little difficulty with in the DRG quest line was the last one (I think?) where we had to face someone and it ended up in me running in a circle using piercing talon + Jumps (preferably when second wind is up for a quick heal afterwards).

Might be misremembering some of that but I think that's roughly how it went for me. Rest of the quest line besides that wasn't too difficult iirc.

I remember dying in that one as well.

RPGCrazied

Nothing about DRG is hard!

It was a few fetch quests, lots of teleporting and fighting a few easy mobs, but finally got the relic, and the jump ability! This might be the hunter of WoW, but Its still a fun class to play. I like it better already than the Bard.

Grisby

Oh man, I gotta take a FF14 break. On the last page or so of story quests (according to that first google search guide) and I've been running a ton of WoD raids. Only problem is I haven't really got jack all from it in the past few days (that demon floppy healer hat ;_;) and it seems like the runs are taking a lot, lot longer (lot of of new people).

Plus, I've got the witcher 3 staring at me.

I might see if I can beat that and then come back and finish out the story quests before HS drops. You have be done with all of the story quests to start it right?

That's what they said yeah, need to finish the 2.0 story to enter Heavensward areas. Not sure if they'll stick to that until the end though, it sounds pretty dumb to lock out everyone who hasn't played in a while out of the new expansion they just bought, but eh, they do still have server blocks for char creation even on medium pop servers based on current pop instead of an average, so who knows.

Grisby

That's what they said yeah, need to finish the 2.0 story to enter Heavensward areas. Not sure if they'll stick to that until the end though, it sounds pretty dumb to lock out everyone who hasn't played in a while out of the new expansion they just bought, but eh, they do still have server blocks for char creation even on medium pop servers based on current pop instead of an average, so who knows.
Eh, I don't mind the lockout so much.

I just need to move onto some other stuff at the moment before this game completely consumes my life.

Teknoman

Not really, I mean...if they havent played in awhile and havent beat 2.0 boss, then there is still alot they havent seen, so no rush to go Heavensward. Of course I dont think thats a great decision with jobs...

Not really, I mean...if they havent played in awhile and havent beat 2.0 boss, then there is still alot they havent seen, so no rush to go Heavensward. Of course I dont think thats a great decision with jobs...

Sure there's a lot they haven't seen, that doesn't mean they want to see it before the new stuff. I don't mind since I'll be ready for it, it just feels like a terribly dumb decision that's gonna get them a lot of whining once the expansion launch. If someone who hasn't played since launch buys the expansion, they probably expect to play the expansion, not to play what's been released inbetween before they get access to expansion features(flying mounts, new job quests, new jobs and so on).

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Bard is really hard. I thought it was difficult to keep track of all the timers as a summoner, but trying to play bard properly takes it to a whole new level.

Going DPS was a mistake.
I'm nothing but trash.

Raijinken

Turn 7 savage finally down! Everyone was at the top of their game tonight so we got finally got it on our 5th pull of the night. Solo healing turn 13 and clearing turn 7 savage were the only two things I wanted to accomplish before Heavensward. Now to level my DoL and DoH classes. /o\

bl4UjDN.jpg

Clear video. (WHM PoV, so it's nothing interesting)

Teknoman

Sure there's a lot they haven't seen, that doesn't mean they want to see it before the new stuff. I don't mind since I'll be ready for it, it just feels like a terribly dumb decision that's gonna get them a lot of whining once the expansion launch. If someone who hasn't played since launch buys the expansion, they probably expect to play the expansion, not to play what's been released inbetween before they get access to expansion features(flying mounts, new job quests, new jobs and so on).

Was FFXI like that? I forget... I think you only had to get to a certain point in the main story?

Stuart444

Turn 7 savage finally down! Everyone was at the top of their game tonight so we got finally got it on our 5th pull of the night. Solo healing turn 13 and clearing turn 7 savage were the only two things I wanted to accomplish before Heavensward. Now to level my DoL and DoH classes. /o\

Grats on clearing it :)

Ken

Turn 7 savage finally down! Everyone was at the top of their game tonight so we got finally got it on our 5th pull of the night. Solo healing turn 13 and clearing turn 7 savage were the only two things I wanted to accomplish before Heavensward. Now to level my DoL and DoH classes. /o

Grats!

Congrats, man.

Pls help I can't stop playing The Witcher 3

Kyzer

Banned
Built my PC and got sub time...hope I can rejoin GAF. I went from 25 fps on low settings to 60 fps maxed out >< can't wait for heavensward

Can anyone point me to a beginners guide to sweetfx or something comparable? I want to play around with this thang

Tiops

Some leaked pictures of Heavensward (sorry if old, didn't see them in the thread):

DwLzDJX.jpg

DHC0ucS.jpg

And here's Yoshi-P on the chateau they're running the press event:

JP20150519_8.jpg

Allard

I'm losing hope that I am going to get a new Egi... :(

Yoshida has said several times that SMN will be getting new Summons/Egi's as soon as the level cap was increased. They haven't shown much of anything from the other jobs in the way of new stuff either to be frank, hopefully its something they talk about tomorrow as the live letters main purpose is talking about the 3 new jobs and combat revisions/additions which would likely include new abilities for current jobs (although not as focused as the new jobs).

If it means anything we know the egi form for Ramuh already exists, the arbiter adds he summons in fight scream SMN egi form for him. The question I have for SMN is what 'niche' for new Egi/Pet do you want it to do? The only one it doesn't have yet is a buffer/debuffer pet as tank, melee dps and casting/range dps are already taken. Guess they could have Shiva be a stance switch pet (RNG form, Melee form, Caster Form) which behaves in a beserker like fashion where you can't control all its abilities directly, but you can change its 'nature' much like current chocobo companion, make Ramuh dps buffer and Leviathan dps debuffer. The other question also is whether SMN is getting something other then the last of the elemental primals or if they will get something new not shown yet (Or if they are even getting all 3 of the remaining elemental primals).

Some leaked pictures of Heavensward (sorry if old, didn't see them in the thread):

DwLzDJX.jpg

DHC0ucS.jpg

And here's Yoshi-P on the chateau they're running the press event:

JP20150519_8.jpg

Nice to see Byblos and I wonder if the demonic books are 1) going to be defeated by how many adds you kill and 2) if its a boss or a normal trash mob like the trees in the recent Amdapor Keep Hard Mode are, basically sentries to other halls. The demon books in the FFV Library of the Ancients weren't exactly bosses nor were they normal random generated fights, they spit out mobs till it felt like you killed enough and the battle ended.

chrono01

Congrats to you all!

Allard

Phoenix Egi is also in the game, but I don't think they'd give that to SMN...

Mainly talking from an animation and hypothetical addition given comments Yoshida has made in the past. He has never explicitly mentioned getting any of the remaining 3 elemental primals, but when answering that exact question (When are we getting the other 3 elemental Primals?) he referenced that new Egi additions were being saved for a level cap increase and we should "Look forward to it" and didnt out right deny nor confirm it was going to be any of the elemental trio.

Having said that I don't think we are going to get a Belias Egi even though it exists in the game either :p.

Wilsongt

Mainly talking from an animation and hypothetical addition given comments Yoshida has made in the past. He has never explicitly mentioned getting any of the remaining 3 elemental primals, but when answering that exact question (When are we getting the other 3 elemental Primals?) he referenced that new Egi additions were being saved for a level cap increase and we should "Look forward to it" and didnt out right deny nor confirm it was going to be any of the elemental trio.

Having said that I don't think we are going to get a Belias Egi even though it exists in the game either :p.

Imagine how cute a baby Bismark would be. :3

Phoenix Egi is also in the game, but I don't think they'd give that to SMN...

I'm kind of expecting Phoenix-Egi to be NPC exclusive to Alphinaud and Alisaie particularly because of what was said to them at the end of Turn 12. And they're both considered Arcanists so it'd be in their capability.

Allard

Looking forward to that live letter tomorrow.

Will be paying the most attention to Dark Knight and Astrologian.

More then that the press were invited to this event with interviews, I expect there to be a decent amount of new info much like the PAX East gave lots of new media on top of new interviews. The fact that it seems they already had that part of the trip done makes me wonder if several interviews will release at around the same time soon after the producer letter alongside lots of new 'official' videos and pictures/concept art etc. This producer letter and finally E3 will likely be the last they will show of the expansion leading into the release.

I don't expect them to give nearly as much away of this expansion as they did to the lead up to 2.0 (since they were way more worried about keeping people interested in the reboot, Yoshida has basically said he wanted a sense of 'mystery' to where the expansion and content go on the journey to end game and thats why we haven't heard much in the way of story details or dungeons) but I at least expect them to give us more info on gameplay systems we are going to work with and previews related to that as those changes will have an immediate effect upon launch day that it wouldn't hurt to know about beforehand. For instance they still haven't given us details on the revamped bonus system they said would be coming for the expansion, hasn't even been touched upon since September (All they would say is it would 'fix' the issue of SMN and SCH being unable to separate their bonuses but it was implied it would do more then just that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom