• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT7| 1000 years DRAGONSONG War

Status
Not open for further replies.

aceface

Play SCH in dungeons. You're basically a third DPS while Eos heals. Scholar is more complex to play than White Mage IMO.

I don't like WHM as much because I don't like dealng with MP management and WHM has more of that. Also love having that lustrate button.

I hope they add something like combo buttons in Heavensward. I remember reading about something similar being implemented to deal with controller users since the number of skills needed on crossbars will increase because of the new levels.

Rflagg

Too many to quote them all, so thanks everybody for your responses. Yeah, I doubt I will raid at all and if I ever do it would only be with gaf and likely stuff that the guild can just steamroll. It just seemed like the guides I saw was you must have etc etc or I would kick you out of my party. It didn't help that I was reading these after my first bad party.

I sometimes think too much about what others think of me and need to focus on how good of a job I am doing in my role. I need to look into end game non-raid stuff for when I get there.

aceface

Too many to quote them all, so thanks everybody for your responses. Yeah, I doubt I will raid at all and if I ever do it would only be with gaf and likely stuff that the guild can just steamroll. It just seemed like the guides I saw was you must have etc etc or I would kick you out of my party. It didn't help that I was reading these after my first bad party.

I sometimes think too much about what others think of me and need to focus on how good of a job I am doing in my role. I need to look into end game non-raid stuff for when I get there.

Oh I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm a casual healer and I'm up to T13, you'll pick it all up as you go. For me healing is the simplest job because it boils down to: keep everyone alive. Dps rotations make my head hurt.

Stuart444

Oh I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm a casual healer and I'm up to T13, you'll pick it all up as you go. For me healing is the simplest job because it boils down to: keep everyone alive. Dps rotations make my head hurt.

Problem is, it's easy to see when healers or tanks fuck up. If you fuck up as a dps, you can most likely hide and blame others. Harder to call out dps without parsers but they can call out tanks/healers.

It's just one of those things. That said, if you're a WHM and you're doing more than just Medica II spam, you're already better than a lot of WHMs :p

SkyOdin

Reading white mage guides have me all stressed out, I was planning on going white mage, but the guides are really starting to scare me. I am enjoying the game and in general I enjoy healing, but I am really starting to wonder if there is such a thing as a casual healer. :(

Don't worry, the game is good at easing you into things so long as you level the class up by running dungeons and getting used to party content. For the first few dungeons, all you really need to do is cast Cure on the tank. So long as you take it one step at a time (i.e. do all the dungeons and trials in order to build up familiarity with the class), I don't think you will have any difficulty with White Mage.

Sora_N

Thats what I was concerned about trying to make Scholar. I got Acn to 17 by grinding fates last night lol...

iammeiam

WHM is all about Holy, Benediction (NOT GOING OFF IN TIME), and Fluid Aura if the tank is an ass. Occasionally Medica II.

and yet you can't carry me. TRY HARDER.

Well this sounds interesting. From here

The level cap will be increased to level 60 for Disciples of the Hand classes as well, and we'll be adding new actions for each class. This will differ a bit from the new job actions. There will be three types of actions you can acquire: those learned by leveling up, those learned from class quests, and those learned by completing quests specific to certain actions.*

Not sure if this is in reference to only Disciples of the Hand classes or both that and the combat jobs but getting abilities from leveling, job quests AND more quests that are outside of that sounds intense. In the sense that we're not just getting abilities at every 5 levels like in the past, but more stuff from 3 sources.

I'm really curious as to just how many abilities they are adding for 50-60.

xxczx

WHM is all about Holy, Benediction (NOT GOING OFF IN TIME), and Fluid Aura if the tank is an ass. Occasionally Medica II.

Getting aggro on a mob and then waiting for the tank to run back only to fluid aura it 'accidently' A+++

aceface

All the more reason to give you a hard time when you let me die.

"None" is not a cooldown!

Problem is, it's easy to see when healers or tanks fuck up. If you fuck up as a dps, you can most likely hide and blame others. Harder to call out dps without parsers but they can call out tanks/healers.

It's just one of those things. That said, if you're a WHM and you're doing more than just Medica II spam, you're already better than a lot of WHMs :p

That's true, one thing about healing is that you generally can't be the one who fucks up mechanics and dies. Like on Titan ex, especially back In the day, if it's the healer who falls off the party is screwed.

You're really confused about who is supposed to be carrying who here.

barrin87

I've ran WoD like 50 times.

Those damn pants are still evading me.

Damn you, pants.

I really don't like what you are saying. =(

I ran WoD first time on Saturday going in blind and it was awesome. Got my BLM gloves which was even more awesome. Ran WoD three times, ST twice, and LotA once yesterday and saw two BLM drops which I lost on both rolls. The roll that I really wanted was on WoD but of course I was in a group with one other BLM and two SMN which gave me a crappy chance.

Has SE said if it's possible to upgrade the PS4 copy of Heavensward to the digital CE extras? I want to get the physical copy from Best Buy so I can get the $8 off from GCU but I still want to get the CE stuff.

I would just like to say that duty finder is pure garbage today.

The truth is found here. I was spamming Expert duty roulette as WAR trying to cap poetics and was amazed at the drop in quality of the people running experts. I haven't done it in awhile so its just weirding me out. My last run I had a dude who was barely ilvl enough to run the dungeon on his Ninja. It took almost 35 mins to complete Keeper of the Lake because of low Dps :/

I don't know why people think its a good idea to try and gear out of dungeons. The shit you get is crap and you can get easier stuff just by farming crystal tower/soldiery.

The truth is found here. I was spamming Expert duty roulette as WAR trying to cap poetics and was amazed at the drop in quality of the people running experts. I haven't done it in awhile so its just weirding me out. My last run I had a dude who was barely ilvl enough to run the dungeon on his Ninja. It took almost 35 mins to complete Keeper of the Lake because of low Dps :/

I don't know why people think its a good idea to try and gear out of dungeons. The shit you get is crap and you can get easier stuff just by farming crystal tower/soldiery.

Crystal Tower gears look ugly. Farming the Expert Roulette allow you to get both Poetics and the Picaroon set.

Crystal Tower gears look ugly. Farming the Expert Roulette allow you to get both Poetics and the Picaroon set.

or you could just go to the any of the towers sans LoTA, get both poetics and soldiery as well for soldiery/poetics gear, and oils for soldiery accessories, and and sands for the left side, and gear drops anywhere between i100-120 , and not gimp dungeon runs two ways to sunday with your i75 mog knives >.>

That shit was ridiculous. Boss fights shouldn't take almost 10-15mins to complete. At least in the towers his gimp dps wouldn't be such an issue that its negatively effecting big pulls cause the other dps isn't that sweet either. Literally gave up on big pulls before the 2nd boss :eek:

BadRNG

35 whole minutes? How did you ever survive. These damn scrubs need to stop doing content designed for them so we can get through our roulettes faster. Sometimes my runs are like 25 minutes long, filled with all these dps who aren't even i130 yet. Why are they here wasting my time trying to get poetics, they could just farm final coil to gear up so much faster.

I've complained about bad dps before too but this is what you sound like.

You know how every once in awhile you'll find something so good you don't want it to end?

For me, that is the Hildibrand questline.

Edit: Also love that splash of elitism I just read. That's always fun.

suzu

As long as the rest of the party isn't acting like dicks or blatantly ignoring tactics, I don't mind too much if the run is not going as fast as I'd like.

Semper88

35 whole minutes? How did you ever survive. These damn scrubs need to stop doing content designed for them so we can get through our roulettes faster. Sometimes my runs are like 25 minutes long, filled with all these dps who aren't even i130 yet. Why are they here wasting my time trying to get poetics, they could just farm final coil to gear up so much faster.

I've complained about bad dps before too but this is what you sound like.

He's right tho.. Ofcourse he shouldn't complain but don't we all?

But in the end its not even the players fault since SE refuses to make a player able to improve their selfs by not adding a parser or any other tool.

Thats why i always do ex roulette with the static. Those sweet 13-15 min runs and no complaining.

BadRNG

He's right tho.. Ofcourse he shouldn't complain but don't we all?

But in the end its not even the players fault since SE refuses to make a player able to improve their selfs by not adding a parser or any other tool.
It's a little bit the player's fault, the really bad ones at least, but you are right there aren't enough in-game ways to improve or even get feedback at all period. But I was mainly talking about the gear complaint. If a player has low dps just because of gear it doesn't bother me as much. That content is there to help them gear.

places in top 20 of TT tournament, still doesn't get any FF protag cards from the platinum deck.

Fuck you RNGesus
Them decks are rigged. I have been doing the tournament every week, always get 2 Shiva cards from the platinum packs. Same shit this week.

Via reddit: some of the new weapons from the HW benchmark

That High Allagan machinist gun looks like something out of Quake. I can see that one being pretty popular.

The Ironworks greatsword looks pretty dinky, though maybe that's because it's being modelled by a Lalafell. (Actually, I didn't even think of a Lalafell DRK as being a potential thing until now.)

ps: ryder's video was fab

Scrawnton

has there been any word yet on how they are handling becoming a dark knight? I am returning to the game and I have falled way behind on my relic quest and that highly discourages me from playing my paladin. I want to tank still, so i decided to start a dark knight when the expansion drops. i resubbed yesterday but I decided to finally level up crafting instead of wasting time grinding gear when I know I am changing my job.

has there been any word yet on how they are handling becoming a dark knight? I am returning to the game and I have falled way behind on my relic quest and that highly discourages me from playing my paladin. I want to tank still, so i decided to start a dark knight when the expansion drops. i resubbed yesterday but I decided to finally level up crafting instead of wasting time grinding gear when I know I am changing my job.

They haven't said much, but I'm going to hazard a guess at 1) go to Ishgard, 2) play through introductory story, 3) regain freedom of movement after prologue is over, 4) do breadcrumb quest, 5) be DRK.

IvorB

Via reddit: some of the new weapons from the HW benchmark

That High Allagan machinist gun looks like something out of Quake. I can see that one being pretty popular.

The Ironworks greatsword looks pretty dinky, though maybe that's because it's being modelled by a Lalafell. (Actually, I didn't even think of a Lalafell DRK as being a potential thing until now.)

ps: ryder's video was fab

Ooooh! Gun, guns, guns! :) Machinist or astrologian? Decisions...

aceface

Two days until the fabled MAY live letter, get hype.

Look at these Frenchies enjoying Heavensward! I hope YoshiP is berating them for being terrible.

aYq0LRh.jpg

That's a pretty impressive life sized model of an Elezen in the background.

Edit: Learn2read:

Scrawnton

They haven't said much, but I'm going to hazard a guess at 1) go to Ishgard, 2) play through introductory story, 3) regain freedom of movement after prologue is over, 4) do breadcrumb quest, 5) be DRK.

thats what I figured. So with new gear releasing, there is very little reason for me to go back and grind out my tanks armor in hopes PLD will share armor with DKN, which is actually a dumb concept when I think about it.

I can see tank armor falling in the two factions, PLD and WAR share the same armor, and WAR and DKN share the same. The only other option is that DKN gets exclusive gear.

BadRNG

It looks like a slightly bigger version of the PLD sword. Kind of lazy. The thin asian-style sword looked pretty cool though, seems like there will be some nice variety in greatswords.

dramatis

To be honest if you were paladin and you're going to go dark knight, the two jobs will probably share gear since they're both tanks. Grabbing a few items between now and the expansion can't hurt too much.

Only masochists do the relic quest nowadays anyway, there's weapons you can buy with tomes.

BadRNG

thats what I figured. So with new gear releasing, there is very little reason for me to go back and grind out my tanks armor in hopes PLD will share armor with DKN, which is actually a dumb concept when I think about it.

I can see tank armor falling in the two factions, PLD and WAR share the same armor, and WAR and DKN share the same. The only other option is that DKN gets exclusive gear.
The DRKs in the benchmark were wearing current tank gear, like ironworks fending. The current gear will definitely be wearable. The only question is if they will pull a NIN and just add a different stat onto to the gear that DRK will need, and make future gear unique.

But unless the new loot system is really good the last thing we need is a whole nother set of gear. There's no real reason DRK can't share gear with PLD/WAR, just add piety/int/whatever to past/future gear if need be and you're fine. (I am curious though why you think DRK and PLD can't share, or why WAR would have access to both)

For best preparation levels I'd get full i130 tank gear as well as 10 Rowena seals/some carbontwine for ironworks weapon.

Scrawnton

The DRKs in the benchmark were wearing current tank gear, like ironworks fending. The current gear will definitely be wearable. The only question is if they will pull a NIN and just add a different stat onto to the gear that DRK will need, and make future gear unique.

But unless the new loot system is really good the last thing we need is a whole nother set of gear. There's no real reason DRK can't share gear with PLD/WAR, just add piety/int/whatever to past/future gear if need be and you're fine. (I am curious though why you think DRK and PLD can't share, or why WAR would have access to both)

For best preparation levels I'd get full i130 tank gear as well as 10 Rowena seals/some carbontwine for ironworks weapon.

I am just going with past FF lore with why they cannot share gear. Paladin armor is more majestic and light colored where dark knight is sinister and menacing. Just look at the transformation of dark knight to paladin in ff4. It would be funny in this game if paladins and dark knights looked the same.

When I go SCH in dungeons I always feel the need to help dps while my fairy does the healing.

Yet for some reason with WHM I just cast Regen on the tank and do dancing emotes and say racist, anti-cat things at the Miqo'tes in my party. I feel no need to help the DPS do their job when I'm a WHM.

Valor

I am just going with past FF lore with why they cannot share gear. Paladin armor is more majestic and light colored where dark knight is sinister and menacing. Just look at the transformation of dark knight to paladin in ff4. It would be funny in this game if paladins and dark knights looked the same.

They're definitely going to have their own AF. However, Allagan/High Allagan/Dread/Soldiery Gear/Ironworks Gear will all be able to be used by Dark Knight. So if your current gear is anything above the Myth Gear (i90) then you're gonna be able to slap it on your Dark Knight once they hit 50.

When I go SCH in dungeons I always feel the need to help dps while my fairy does the healing.

Yet for some reason with WHM I just cast Regen on the tank and do dancing emotes and say racist, anti-cat things at the Miqo'tes in my party. I feel no need to help the DPS do their job when I'm a WHM.

This anti-c@ nonsense has to stop. Also why do you hate Holy? it feels like you hate Holy. Holy is the best. Holy is love. Holy is life.

Scrawnton

They're definitely going to have their own AF. However, Allagan/High Allagan/Dread/Soldiery Gear/Ironworks Gear will all be able to be used by Dark Knight. So if your current gear is anything above the Myth Gear (i90) then you're gonna be able to slap it on your Dark Knight once they hit 50.

okay, that sounds good. I will return to grinding out some gear with my paladin and ignoring the relic quest.

It looks like a slightly bigger version of the PLD sword. Kind of lazy. The thin asian-style sword looked pretty cool though, seems like there will be some nice variety in greatswords.

Yeah, it's quite hard to tell as it looks like it's practically the same size and shape as the PLD sword there. Wish they wouldn't keep using joke races to show off gear. :(

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Latency influence is real.
Tried using DRG on an NA server and immediately gained up to 30 DPS on average on a dummy.
Well, shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom